Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I remember reading that most trees in most places require a significant amount of care (including lots of regular watering) until their roots grow deep enough to become self-sustaining.

i read that native trees are no longer native in many places anymore because their saplings cant grow in the changed climate. the adults are all fine but getting established is too hard. boomer vs millenial but for trees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Samuel Glompers posted:

Things seem bad, and yet

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

I remember reading that most trees in most places require a significant amount of care (including lots of regular watering) until their roots grow deep enough to become self-sustaining.

Yeah this is the problem any professional I've spoken with has had with NYC's million trees program. Just planting a bunch of young trees wherever in an urban environment is not in itself a beneficial or even carbon-neutral activity because trees only really pay themselves off and provide ecological benefits as they approach maturity. Planting them is the easy part, keeping them alive in an urban hellscape is where it gets tricky.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Decades posted:

Yeah this is the problem any professional I've spoken with has had with NYC's million trees program. Just planting a bunch of young trees wherever in an urban environment is not in itself a beneficial or even carbon-neutral activity because trees only really pay themselves off and provide ecological benefits as they approach maturity. Planting them is the easy part, keeping them alive in an urban hellscape is where it gets tricky.
costs a lot of money, too

the more recent trend in nyc is just filling a hole where a tree was with weeds, which magically absorbs water, and fixes flooding forever

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Cup Runneth Over posted:

people care way too much about atmospheric CO2 ppm re: human health. it regularly goes up to 2000ppm in poorly ventilated indoor spaces, as any COVID thread regular can tell you. nobody ever notices. climbing a few dozen ppm is probably not going to result in any noticeable health effects let alone all of humanity asphyxiating to death. the consequences to humanity will be indirect imho

the air pollution that causes the brain damage is not co2 but instead pm2.5 - https://www.the-scientist.com/features/air-pollution-may-damage-peoples-brains-66473

luckily we will not be able to measure the impact because there is no control group when 93% of children are exposed to enough of it to cause cognitive damage - https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/29/health/air-pollution-children-health-who-india-intl/index.html

quote:

now I am aware this is probably not what you meant but I've been looking for an excuse to post about it

:same:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
thankfully there are no ongoing events that radically change climatic conditions for wildlife habitat around the world at speeds unprecedented in the geological timescale (even the permian extinction)

good luck, trees

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

it'll happen by 2030

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Generally speaking air conditioners (unless you're in some sort of cleverly engineered passivehaus or have a massively oversized system) can really only push a temp delta of 20-30 degrees, so enjoy sitting in your 90 degree house running the ac full blast. When its humid here it struggles to maintain 74 degrees on a 90-ish day.

Gotta put up a foot thick of insulation in your closet and turn it into a fridge for humans

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

it'll happen by 2030

wife, angrily: it'll happen today!

brought to you by sears

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

everyone is misreporting heat index as actual temperature.

it'll actually be like 110F with crazy humidity

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Isn't that already what we're getting I would expect by 2050 it's going to be much worse

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

so much worse

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Justin Tyme posted:

Generally speaking air conditioners (unless you're in some sort of cleverly engineered passivehaus or have a massively oversized system) can really only push a temp delta of 20-30 degrees, so enjoy sitting in your 90 degree house running the ac full blast. When its humid here it struggles to maintain 74 degrees on a 90-ish day.

Gotta put up a foot thick of insulation in your closet and turn it into a fridge for humans

we must have a massively oversized system because i can get my house to the Nice temperature and actually have the loving thing cycle when it's a hundred degrees outside

it's really nice, actually, been one of the easiest aggressively terrible summers I ever remember having here

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mirthless posted:

we must have a massively oversized system because i can get my house to the Nice temperature and actually have the loving thing cycle when it's a hundred degrees outside

it's really nice, actually, been one of the easiest aggressively terrible summers I ever remember having here

you probably just have good insulation and not a magic ac that breaks physics. if your system really was too strong you would be short cycling, ie cooling so fast the cycle ends before the air can mix so the humid air never gets dehumidified and you end up with dank house

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Real hurthling! posted:

magic ac that breaks physics

You just saved humanity

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Real hurthling! posted:

you probably just have good insulation and not a magic ac that breaks physics. if your system really was too strong you would be short cycling, ie cooling so fast the cycle ends before the air can mix so the humid air never gets dehumidified and you end up with dank house

buddy some people pay a lot of money for a dank house

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

:ok:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I should be sadder that the Norwegian fish cops shot a young walrus because people were too stupid to stay clear of her and she was sinking boats but there are so many lols in the situation. In the early 1980s when Thatcher/Reaganite austerity was becoming all the rage a zoo in New Zealand (?) shot their hippo because their funding had been cut to the point they couldn't afford to continue feeding it. Shooting the Hippo ended up as a book title but was much too early to become a meme. Between this and the Brits shooting a white stag we need more memes. At least enough funds have been raised for a statue so we can remember her properly.

10 or 15 years ago a young male orca left his pod and started interacting with people in a west coast Vancouver Island inlet. Very charismatic but that didn't end well either. He was rubbing up against small boats in the docks and sinking them, also keeping fishing crews awake at night with his rubbing. To be clear, orcas are large dolphins and have similar horny habits, only large. By "rubbing" the media meant "masturbating".

Unfortunately he tried to interact with a tug and got sucked into its Kort nozzle, a shroud around the propeller that turns it into a meat grinder from mere whirling blades of death. Very sad. Probably a lot of metaphors there.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Luna :smith:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Yep. Planting a seedling and calling it a day isn't really going to work. Even very established trees often require a significant amount of care to protect them from invasive species and stop them from becoming hazards, especially if you live in an urban or suburban environment.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Loire River, France.

Rhine River, Germany, August 2021 vs August 2022.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 22:50 on Aug 18, 2022

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

OhFunny posted:

Loire River, France.

Rhine River, German, August 2021 vs August 2022.

lol that's so hosed

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

OhFunny posted:

Loire River, France.

Rhine River, German, August 2021 vs August 2022.

Beautiful. This shows how efficient we are at using water and not wasting it by letting it drain away. More of this will be necessary if we want to limit shortages caused by climate change and made worse by immature, unrealistic environmental policies.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
for the rhine one the size of the river is the most obvious thing, but it's great that you can also look at parks or any other green space and they're half dirt this year

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

for the rhine one the size of the river is the most obvious thing, but it's great that you can also look at parks or any other green space and they're half dirt this year

and yet the private lawns are green? proof that all public spaces contribute are examples of "tragedy of the commons"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

https://twitter.com/thelabandfield/status/1543896662761947136

https://twitter.com/thelabandfield/status/1543896666599833600

https://twitter.com/thelabandfield/status/1543896670362128384

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao if we don’t change plastics production will produce more ghg in 2050 than all those created by transportation and commercial (exempting industrial) / residential power use put together do as of a couple years ago

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/aug/18/peter-thiel-refused-consent-for-sprawling-lodge-in-new-zealand-local-council

Latest news about Peter Thiels planned bunker.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mediaphage posted:

lmao if we don’t change plastics production will produce more ghg in 2050 than all those created by transportation and commercial (exempting industrial) / residential power use put together do as of a couple years ago

i mean plastics bad, but lol at comparing BAU plastics in 2050 to 2019 emissions in other sectors rather than BAU 2050 emissions for those sectors. obviously because plastics relate emissions would still be dwarfed by transportation, electricity, land use change, etc under a 2050 BAU model

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

bedpan posted:

Beautiful. This shows how efficient we are at using water and not wasting it by letting it drain away. More of this will be necessary if we want to limit shortages caused by climate change and made worse by immature, unrealistic environmental policies.

:hai: we just need to make sure we rake the riverbeds, so they don't catch fire

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That reminds me, someone thought it was a good idea to dredge the Rio Grande.

https://www.kxan.com/border-report/zapata-county-getting-2m-to-dredge-rio-grande-as-drought-drags-on/

Like it's going to magically solve their drought woes.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
2050 BAU is incomprehensible to me, we'll be drowning in our trash like the backstory to WALL-E at that point

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Speaking of plastics. Was this posted here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FxfXVuHRjM

A couple years ago I went to Egilsay island and the beaches were like that one.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

i mean plastics bad, but lol at comparing BAU plastics in 2050 to 2019 emissions in other sectors rather than BAU 2050 emissions for those sectors. obviously because plastics relate emissions would still be dwarfed by transportation, electricity, land use change, etc under a 2050 BAU model

sure, I think their point is just guys plastics bad and not just microplastics

which this thread knows obviously but

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Trabisnikof posted:

At this point, I feel like 2030 BAU is too hard to predict. 2050 might as well be trying to predict the 4th president of the mega-squid civilization.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is this new PFAS cleaning solution actually legit or just more wishing as usual?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the article i read about it had a quote from the people who did the research saying that is was unfeasible on a large scale

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

probably can’t do poo poo to filter PFAS out in a way that benefits wild animals, livestock etc. (and those who eat them) either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tree version of this