Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
ideally the phyrexians win and their planar bridge acts as a beacon to eldrazi and after a couple sets of gathering resistance fighters in the wilds of some planes we get a "let them fight" set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Time for the In-Jace-tice League of Dovin, Oko, Nahiri, Ajani & Tamiyo freed from the borg collective, Tezz, Wrenn, Ob, and Vraska.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I just noticed the new Sulfurous Springs art has the skull of the demon that was originally in the old art.

He died doing what he loved. :unsmith:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

uggy posted:

Ya it’s a real knock on the cards power. Woulda been real nice to sac your thing to kill their thing if they only got 1 of that kind of permanent.

I’m bummed cause braids is one of my fav cards

I didnt even register that may, i meant the owner having a choice. Wtf this card is doing braids super dirty imo

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

VictualSquid posted:

Some random local villian. Strixhaven and new Innistrad were fun.

Yeah, I think I'd prefer they stick with antagonists specific to each plane instead of trying to force another massive overarching threat.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Someone who watched the stream, are my friends the tyranids showing up in the wh40k stuff or can i fully sleep on that

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i believe tyranids are getting a whole rear end deck. jund iirc

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Temurids

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

i believe tyranids are getting a whole rear end deck. jund iirc

Oh wait gently caress i didnt actually want to buy one uuuh i mean the tau, are my friends the tau showing up

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

mandatory lesbian posted:

I didnt even register that may, i meant the owner having a choice. Wtf this card is doing braids super dirty imo

Ya it’s sucks and I know “design for edh” isn’t a topic folks wanna talk about but this seems designed for edh as it gets better the more players there are

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
It irrationally bothers me to release 6 of the pain land cycle at once instead of 5 (or 10, honestly. it should just be 10)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

whydirt posted:

My guess is ETB tapped duals with land types to support domain but are strictly worse than shocklands

Whatever is is, I hope they do the 6/4 split but not the same 6.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

uggy posted:

Ya it’s sucks and I know “design for edh” isn’t a topic folks wanna talk about but this seems designed for edh as it gets better the more players there are

I recently made a rakdos sac EDH deck and upon seeing this Braids it's a slam include so can't say you're wrong here

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oh wait gently caress i didnt actually want to buy one uuuh i mean the tau, are my friends the tau showing up

No Tau, it's
Imperium
Chaos
Necron
Tyranids

Theres also going to be an 40k Ork, Blood Bowl and Age of Sigmar secret lairs. They were supposed to go on sale this month but there's no hint so they probably got pushed back to October.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

August superdrop is Monday.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

It irrationally bothers me to release 6 of the pain land cycle at once instead of 5 (or 10, honestly. it should just be 10)

It bothers me more that they haven't reprinted the Allied Fetches.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

fatherboxx posted:

"spiderman" is Baral, the rear end in a top hat blue cop from Kaladesh who killed Chandra's father

So now we get Chandra working with Baral (the man who killed her father) while in War of the Spark she kills Dovin (the man who arrests Baral for killing her father) because he worked with Baral. Chandra went lethal vigilante on the guy who legally brought Baral to justice but now she's fine with her father's killer being free and fighting alongside him.

Oh man, do rotating writing groups make some real boneheaded characterizations

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

E. Revenant posted:

So now we get Chandra working with Baral (the man who killed her father) while in War of the Spark she kills Dovin (the man who arrests Baral for killing her father) because he worked with Baral. Chandra went lethal vigilante on the guy who legally brought Baral to justice but now she's fine with her father's killer being free and fighting alongside him.

I thought Dovin was a war criminal on the lamb after WAR?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
"WE'VE NEVER DONE A STORY THIS HUGE!"

Humm... You did way bigger before.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Am I crazy or is the enlist mechanic really bad

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kashuno posted:

It's Banding.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

E. Revenant posted:

you missed a few things here, particularly that dovin was a traitor that worked for Bolas in war of the spark and also the Chandra that attacked him during that set's events was actually lasav. also he escaped and didn't actually die then

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's Banding.

False. Banding gives the ability "You may assign blockers in a way that is bad for your opponent. No, that's not how it works. You don't get to blow me out in combat like that Kyle! I'm going home"

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Well poo poo wrong about that Dovin getting killed by Chandra thing. Still I swear before that awful epilogue book came out everyone thought Chandra killed Dovin when War of the Spark was fresh.

flatluigi posted:

you missed a few things here, particularly that dovin was a traitor that worked for Bolas in war of the spark and also the Chandra that attacked him during that set's events was actually lasav. also he escaped and didn't actually die then

drat I was just straight living in another world based only on card text and internet rumor. Amazing how botched the narrative delivery can become if you only get one part of product.

E. Revenant fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 18, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No Tau, it's
Imperium
Chaos
Necron
Tyranids

Theres also going to be an 40k Ork, Blood Bowl and Age of Sigmar secret lairs. They were supposed to go on sale this month but there's no hint so they probably got pushed back to October.

I know there was a zero percent chance they wouldnt be in but man chaos and imperium are so boring lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Braids is a free sac outlet which is always something people underrate.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

It smells like someone designed it as a throwback to banding, then they realized that being able to tap a summoning sick critter made it WAY too good, and they had to tone it back in testing. It'll probably just depend on how good the evasive payoffs are. There's going to be a trampler and a flyer and probably a blue 2/1 that taps a guy when it enlists. If there's a really good trigger it might break into constructed.

Maybe when you enlist a dude, you put a counter on it, so if you suicide into a trade you still come out with a little value.

There's going to be a red 3/1 for 1R with like 3 other lines of text on it that will probably slot into mono red for a set or two.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kashuno posted:

sometimes you have a bunch of little dorks on your board and a way to make just one of them get through for damage. I'd like to see how the cards are generally playable but I've won games off of 'make my 2/2 unblockable with access tunnel, swing, buff it to lethal' before & enlist is exactly in line with that

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Yeah, I think I'd prefer they stick with antagonists specific to each plane instead of trying to force another massive overarching threat.

Doesn't fit in with their avengers theme though. At least the gatewatch super league sort of went away

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Is that also a gearhulk in the background of that doofy avengers picture? Big-rear end Alexander-lookin' thing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Braids + Tenacious Underdog...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I know there was a zero percent chance they wouldnt be in but man chaos and imperium are so boring lol

Mechanicus is cool.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Might get some mileage out of the enlisted creatures not actually attacking? Hard to get excited about getting slightly more value out of Decayed, though

e: counter play to goad, maybe?

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 18, 2022

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Enlist is a limited mechanic and it should be fun there. Combat mechanics are very hard to make playable in constructed.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Jiro posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/episode-5-whisper-wind-2022-08-18

Welp

Looks like it's not Karn going back in time using the Sylex, cause that poo poo got crushed by Borg Ajani. I do wonder if Planeswalkers personalities are just like held in the Sunken Place while Pyhrexian Oil just uses their brains as a collective type hive mind, giving some sort of chance to still be compleated but have their original personalities intact. Poor Jaya what a shame, and here I thought in this set Dominaria would get completely hosed and converted over necessitating the time travel. Teferi being the one to jump backwards in time was always the most obvious choice. Karn can't catch a break so he's probably going to get melted down or something.

One thing I hadn't thought about since the Brother's War is all pre-mended stuff. Will the cards themselves be insanely broken Eldrazi powerful?

Karn is still immune to being corrupted, right? Even so, gonna be a bad time for him until the Koth and the Mirran resistance or the other good guys break him out of cyborg demon hell.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Braids + Tenacious Underdog...

I like Lili + Underdog better.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mat Cauthon posted:

Karn is still immune to being corrupted, right? Even so, gonna be a bad time for him until the Koth and the Mirran resistance or the other good guys break him out of cyborg demon hell.

He might be, but they took him for something.

E: I also don't know how a walker gets captured when they can just planeswalk away. Or how they can be crippled since their immunity to completion is that they control their bodies. What I'm saying is a broken karn should just be able to reassemble himself.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Enlist is maybe good for a wide deck to push through a tall creature deck. Mono-w vs Mono-g in current standard. Though, just play your exile cat or whatever instead. Though again if you did that you now have the cathar around and don't want to attack or block with it, making it perfect for enlistment.
The current Benalia guy might be playable in standard mono-w even without enlist depending on how the meta shakes up.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

He might be, but they took him for something.

E: I also don't know how a walker gets captured when they can just planeswalk away. Or how they can be crippled since their immunity to completion is that they control their bodies. What I'm saying is a broken karn should just be able to reassemble himself.

If the Side Stories are canon, the Squee side story makes mention of when you get compleated your soul is straight up ripped out from your body. Which I guess something something makes you more pliable to be brainwashed into totally loving being a Borg. Usually in most fictions when a soul is ripped out from a body it either straight up kills you, or you become more bloodthirsty and ruthless generally sociopathic type evil since the soul was supposedly where your conscience and empathy resided for some reason.

Plus in the main stories Karn was always just thinking about other poo poo even when awful crap was happening around him, real absentminded, not really paying attention to anything till after it happened or when it was too late. Basically being a big dumb slow idiot because the plot needed him to be, instead of a really smart immortal, really powerful, nigh indestructible silver golem robot that should be more like Data instead of Eeyore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
LOOK HOW THEY MASSACRED MY BOY