Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CancerCakes posted:

Quoting this post from the first page of this thread cos... I want to buy a 924.

Anyone willing to admit they have one?

I'm thinking NA or S. Budget is 4.5k gbp for a car I can ideally daily drive. I have zero car mechanical experience so I would need something at least mechanically sound. Feels realistic, but I wouldn't even know what to look out for.

can i ask why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You don't buy a 40 year old german car without any mechanical experience unless you can afford to pay someone to work on it (and if that's the case you don't buy a largely undesirable 40 year old german car) or a masochist.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CancerCakes posted:

Quoting this post from the first page of this thread cos... I want to buy a 924.

I'm thinking NA or S. Budget is 4.5k gbp for a car I can ideally daily drive. I have zero car mechanical experience so I would need something at least mechanically sound. Feels realistic, but I wouldn't even know what to look out for.

Unless you have a lot more money for maintenance I don't think it's a good idea for you to buy a cheap 40 year old german sports car.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Pop up headlights
Porsche
Fun
Midlife crisis
Not so expensive that can't afford to bin it or sell at a loss if I can't afford to maintain it
Need a second car for commuting which doesn't need to be child friendly, so can get something more interesting

slidebite posted:

You don't buy a 40 year old german car without any mechanical experience unless you can afford to pay someone to work on it (and if that's the case you don't buy a largely undesirable 40 year old german car) or a masochist.

The reason it is of interest to me is because it is undesirable, therefore cheap up front. I can then muck around with it if I decide to get spanner happy, or sell it with limited loss potential or just let it rot.

Motronic posted:

Unless you have a lot more money for maintenance I don't think it's a good idea for you to buy a cheap 40 year old german sports car.

I don't know what a lot more is in this context and over what time period - 10k over 2 years no, 5k over 10 years yeah sure. I wouldn't mind spending over the book value in time because it wouldn't really be an investment, its a toy. I can't afford an expensive toy, but a cheap toy might still be fun.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CancerCakes posted:

I don't know what a lot more is in this context and over what time period - 10k over 2 years no, 5k over 10 years yeah sure. I wouldn't mind spending over the book value in time because it wouldn't really be an investment, its a toy. I can't afford an expensive toy, but a cheap toy might still be fun.

It's likely to be much closer to, possibly exceeding, 10k over 2 years to get some neglected barely used 40 year old 924 reliably running and not leaking/shedding parts. Because that's the kind of 924 you'll be buying for 4 or 5k.

This sounds like a fever dream. Don't do it. It's cheaper to buy a well sorted car than it is to do whatever it is you're talking about here.

If you can't afford a well sorted car you absolutely can not afford one that isn't.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sounds like you should consider a motorcycle.

BUT, if you insist on a front engine Porsche, consider the nicest 944 you can find. And even then, you probably shouldn't.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

CancerCakes posted:

Pop up headlights
Porsche
Fun
Midlife crisis
Not so expensive that can't afford to bin it or sell at a loss if I can't afford to maintain it
Need a second car for commuting which doesn't need to be child friendly, so can get something more interesting

The reason it is of interest to me is because it is undesirable, therefore cheap up front. I can then muck around with it if I decide to get spanner happy, or sell it with limited loss potential or just let it rot.

Sounds to me like what you really need is a series 4 or 5 Mazda RX-7. A direct competitor to the 924/944.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

McTinkerson posted:

Sounds to me like what you really need is a series 4 or 5 Mazda RX-7. A direct competitor to the 924/944.

What you tryin to do to this man, reduce 'em to a gibbering mess?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CancerCakes posted:

£4.5k is not an unreasonable price point to get a generally ok, running/driving 924, year's MOT etc.

But there will be ongoing maintenance, and if you say you're starting from zero in terms of car maintenance and repair knowledge, I'd probably not be looking to get an old Porsche as a daily.

Even if you up the budget and get a pretty good one, putting daily driver duties on a 40 year old car is not easy mode at all.

As a second car you don't have to rely on (your later post seems to switch to this paradigm), it's perhaps more realistic an idea.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

CancerCakes posted:

Pop up headlights
Porsche
Fun
Midlife crisis

Sounds like an NA miata is what you actually want.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

^^^^ That is excellent advice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

yeah for sure

you can put a porsche badge on it if you must

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

DRZ400SM

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

So all of this 94X discussion had me thinking of my first experience with them, and more importantly, turbos.

It was the summer of 1989 and I was working as a valet in a hotel. There was a close lot and a back lo take the cars. I was responsible and prudent with almost every car that came in... almost. The one time I took a car out to the back lot was a 944 Turbo S, in rose silver over rose plaid cloth. It was (and still is) absolutely rude.

In taking it to the back lot, I gave it a throttle-to-the-floor and didn't see anything remarkable. For what seemed like a period of time. Then, WHAM, pushed back in the seat and I wasn't ready for it, so it hit hard enough to pull my foot off the throttle a bit. It was exhilarating and a defining moment in my automotive life.

I was looking them up today on BaT, and this car sold about 10 minutes from the hotel I was working at. There's a non-zero chance that this is the car of my experience. Either way, it's still a gorgeous car that I'd love to have, even though they seem to be maintenance pigs.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-porsche-944-turbo-s-39/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Those 80s plaid/check cloth seats are still so cool. My mum had similar on her mk1 vw golf gti.

Have there been any recent trims that have that kind of cloth? A base Carrera with check cloth seats would rule.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

Have there been any recent trims that have that kind of cloth? A base Carrera with check cloth seats would rule.

I think the new 992 sport classic has those checkered cloth seats. But it costs like $300k

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

In taking it to the back lot, I gave it a throttle-to-the-floor and didn't see anything remarkable. For what seemed like a period of time. Then, WHAM, pushed back in the seat and I wasn't ready for it, so it hit hard enough to pull my foot off the throttle a bit. It was exhilarating and a defining moment in my automotive life.

That 80s 944 turbo lag is what made me DD my NA 944 rather than the turbo. It was just loving unmanageable in the normal twisties I used to go to and from work through.

Totally fun as a "I'm driving now" car, not a great commuter.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic posted:

That 80s 944 turbo lag is what made me DD my NA 944 rather than the turbo. It was just loving unmanageable in the normal twisties I used to go to and from work through.

Totally fun as a "I'm driving now" car, not a great commuter.

That was my benchmark for lag. It made the future nicer. I went through a few Audi 5000/S4 cars with the turbo 5 and they were supposed to be lag hogs, but for me, they were perfectly fine... just have to plan your moves a bit ahead of time so the turbo kicks in by the time you _need_ it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

To be fair, 944 turbos, especially S models were absolutely bonkers in 3rd gear about 3 seconds after you put your foot down. That was my first real "we've gone to plaid" experience.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

AWWNAW posted:

I think the new 992 sport classic has those checkered cloth seats. But it costs like $300k

Oh man that is lovely

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AWWNAW posted:

option on taycan when

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

Sounds like you should consider a motorcycle.

BUT, if you insist on a front engine Porsche, consider the nicest 944 you can find. And even then, you probably shouldn't.

You typed ls swapped 928 wrong.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

You typed ls swapped 928 wrong.

With that answer I'm guessing you've never driven an LS swapped 944. It will cure you of all your 928 ideas.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
NASA used to run a Spec 944 class and they’d occasionally run with DE3 or DE4 groups. We loving HATED them. They were slow as poo poo, body roll like they were going to fall over mid corner, and the drivers rarely got out of the way. Ugh.

That is my 944 story.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

NASA used to run a Spec 944 class and they’d occasionally run with DE3 or DE4 groups. We loving HATED them. They were slow as poo poo, body roll like they were going to fall over mid corner, and the drivers rarely got out of the way. Ugh.

That is my 944 story.

We still have a couple of them here. Run in small bore race group and are off pace from the spec miatas. rolling roadblocks, lol

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Russian Bear posted:

If you really want a Porsche, save up and buy a nice Boxster, but the Miata suggestion is really good. One of my goon buddies has one and it is fun to drive. I almost pulled the trigger on one before I found my 2001 Boxster S.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

knox_harrington posted:

Those 80s plaid/check cloth seats are still so cool. My mum had similar on her mk1 vw golf gti.

There's a few companies that will make seat inserts for your Porsche in whatever color, material or pattern you can dream up. Prices generally range from mildly expensive to lol. I'd love to do something outrageous for the cayman but haven't pulled the trigger yet, I think the stuff looks better in older cars.

Just a few examples:
https://www.classic9leathershop.com/
https://p1designs.com/
https://www.heritagetrim.com/porsche/
https://justinplacek.com/en/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

NitroSpazzz posted:

There's a few companies that will make seat inserts for your Porsche in whatever color, material or pattern you can dream up. Prices generally range from mildly expensive to lol. I'd love to do something outrageous for the cayman but haven't pulled the trigger yet, I think the stuff looks better in older cars.

Just a few examples:

Those are super cool. I just had a look at older 911s and they are all absolutely bonkers expensive now.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

NitroSpazzz posted:

Just a few examples:

Unless I’m mistaken, the inserts are only for cars that have bucket seats.

Unless you’re talking about having Justin reupholster your seats. I’m afraid to even think of how much he charges for that.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Saw these in one of my fb groups and actually kinda love it. If I recall, there was some accident involving the leather, so he had a local seamster make these.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
I know I’m going to regret this but…ok. So my car is a 2010, 115k miles. Triple black, so as you can imagine riddled with stone chips and imperfections. I decided to have it wrapped, then I added a Joe Toth spoiler.
I have my original Boxster tramp stamp, as well as a set of Porsche letters. What I’m trying to decide is placement. I’ve done some really extraordinary Pixelmator work with some options.

I would, um, like your thoughts. Be gentle, I love my car.

I can paint or wrap them to whatever. My initial thought was to make my calipers black with gold lettering, but the silver rotors would be there. Then I considered silver as the accent color. Then I considered black rotors and realized I was getting into deep water.

Anyway, I’m tired and can’t decide.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/edkfb7lv16hr2y2/AADF46FI8A3HQExEFi3WbEMca?dl=0

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Huh, my calipers are 11 years older than yours and look nothing like that. Your car driven on salted roads a lot or something?

For the calipers I personally like black with white lettering. Maybe red lettering. I don't think any wrap is going to hold up on a caliper though but I've never checked:shrug:

I'd do without the PORSCHE lettering on the whittle spoiler so I have no opinion on placement other than my preference would be without.

I like that color of wrap on the body.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I like the white lettering on the spoiler with no Boxster tramp stamp. That’s a great color, please also do the hood though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I like the Porsche lettering by itself that matches the wrap color by best. On the black too, whatever that happens to be. Also would vote for wrapping the hood. That’s got to have some chips too, so it’d make sense given the reason you’re doing all this.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
The hood is wrapped in the black satin as on the clamshell. Thanks all, I’m glad you like it!

[edit]
I was thinking about doing one of those hood stripes - the double lines with the word ‘Porsche’ vertically. If I did that in the aluminum red, maybe that would balance it out a little. The black portion here would be the red.

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 18, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That hood Porsche decal is about as silly as monogrammed bathrobes.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

That hood Porsche decal is about as silly as monogrammed bathrobes.

It's a bathrobe monogrammed with "bathrobe"

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Useful info if you forget what you are wearing or driving!

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
^^ It’s so when someone says “hey, what kind of car is that?” You can slightly lower your mirrored shades and disdainfully point to the hood, then peel out and ruin your clutch. ^^

What about just a rally stripe in the body red?

Could do red down the length of the hood, then the clamshell, so it looks like a solid link from front to back? Probably just a single stripe though. And who knows, when I get my top patched and cleaned, maybe there’s some way to complete the stripe…

I’m just trying to modernize where I can. I’ve got some mechanical needs on my list too, but for now, this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

“PORSCHE” lettering on a Porsche owns.

:hellyeah: