Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the kinolorber youtube channel has been posting a bunch of full length movies today if you're into that kind of thing

https://www.youtube.com/c/kinolorberfilms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnHtB9sNINM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

these tweets in particular are not even popular tweets on twitter itself

twitter (and tbh this thread) will go absolutely apeshit on young women who post bad takes on books, and it's guaranteed to generate big-league discourse because it's a way to mention how many of these books that you've read while also dogpiling on somebody who will almost certainly engage with the responses

Aglet56 has issued a correction as of 18:02 on Aug 18, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This is the same way we responded to Chuck Wendig calling lotr cliche

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Aglet56 posted:

twitter (and tbh this thread) will go absolutely apeshit on young women who post bad takes on books, and it's guaranteed to generate big-league discourse because it's a way to mention how many of these books that you've read while also dogpiling on somebody who will almost certainly engage with the responses

isn't this true of every subject on the internet

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is the same way we responded to Chuck Wendig calling lotr cliche

i'll give that one a pass because i also hate chuck wendig

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Casey Finnigan posted:

where do you guys find these weird tweets with like 150 likes

you simply follow a thousand or so bored people that are kind of funny on twitter and they act as a content aggregator

and then a goon will post it here

or in this instance, my friend will send it to me, and then i’ll check this thread to see if the day’s twitter discourse aligns with what she thought was sorta insane or funny or whatever

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Aglet56 posted:

Aglet56 posted:

i'll give that one a pass because i also hate chuck wendig

making fun of dumb opinions is okay regardless of the gender of who has them

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
also i will bet one thousand dollars that person does not read the something awful forums so i'm not sure we're "going apeshit on them" as much as "making snarky comments about their dumb opinions that they'll never see"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Standard pr push article, but I found the quoted section interesting.
https://twitter.com/ELLEmagazine/status/1559890109117480964?t=_D_eqHK_DNoba78GKXHMPw&s=19

quote:

The casting lie was awkward but harmless. A more worthy test manifested in the scrutiny around She-Hulk’s release, especially when Marvel’s outspoken fanbase coiled around comment forums: The CGI was “bad.” She wasn’t muscular enough. Why wasn’t She-Hulk’s hair curly, like Maslany’s? And one particular gem: She-Hulk was “cucking, emasculating and character assassinating” the Hulk. That last argument Maslany is eager to dismiss. The CGI, she’s defensive of, going so far as to criticize the limited hours offered to VFX artists and to support unions. But the critique of She-Hulk’s actual body still gives her pause.

“It’s such a chosen body. So, it asks for commentary,” Maslany says. “There’s something interesting in everyone’s ownership over that image. Obviously, I have no say over how she presents. But I do think we are thirsty for women’s bodies that don’t conform to an idealized feminine image. And that the musculature of She-Hulk could have been a really interesting, revolutionary thing to see.” She adds, “I feel supportive of that idea. But I’m also like, ‘Okay, but why do we all have say in [her body]?’”

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

i feel like an essential component of keeping people from not going loving insane in the modern era of Take Proliferation would be the institution of some kind of Posting Jubilee, where every couple years you’re given the chance to just completely nuke your posting history on all websites and you get a clean slate where everyone can just forget about every dipshit thing you said while your brain wasn’t good

Myspace tanking and taking all of our teenage poo poo with it is the best thing that ever will happen to the millenials.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

uber_stoat posted:

twitter is an evil site that corrodes your soul which is why i look at it, i want my soul to be annihilated.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Aglet56 posted:

Maybe they shouldn't post so bad.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Casey Finnigan posted:

where do you guys find these weird tweets with like 150 likes

I’ll be using the Twitter search engine for something related to a thread here and I often find tweets with 0 engagement that way, and some of them might be funny. another typical way is I’ll click some tweet from here or a search result and find a total nutter in the comments, after which I check out their profile for anything funny or interesting. I enjoy the searching and browsing process regardless of whether I come up with anything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Aglet56 posted:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

I enjoy the searching and browsing process regardless of whether I come up with anything.

modern day version of fishing

another fun way to do this (and drive yourself insane) is to take a song that used to be popular and search for it + "parody" on youtube and then sort by upload date so you see the most recent version.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Isnt tiantina from that orphan black poo poo everyone hyped for a few season about her performance then switch to making GBS threads on her for being boring?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
prepare to be chilled

https://twitter.com/brooklynvegan/status/1560003837406085121?s=20&t=OEaS-rQMgKH9g6id8dorIg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk7M2jGdnxU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
see i'm fine with making GBS threads on woke defense contractors and star wars authors, but as a previous poster said, it feels weird to have thousands of people on twitter calling this person a dumbass baby brain when she's, y'know, 20.

i did laugh at the william s. burroughs entry

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Your problem is with the concept of Twitter itself then

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
her only problem with Ayn Rand is the racism lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

books are not really 'written' they are discovered, like mathematics. Yeah someone has to have the idea but the book was already out there. much like any alien species probably has counting numbers, they probably have a Harry Potter, perhaps not written by a transphobe

there is no need to tie the ethics of the life of the author to the content of the book.

No logic in it. "schrodinger was polyamorous, so quantum physics isn't real" yeah ok good luck

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

You graduate from YA into detective women sold at grocery stores.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/e/janet-evanovich/
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/r/nora-roberts/ a.k.a. https://www.fantasticfiction.com/r/j-d-robb/

Edit, I keep forgetting that nora roberts and jd robb are the same person

Or just straight out romance stuff
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/genres/?gp=R

But I think hallmark channel is laying waste to that book genre.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Aug 18, 2022

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rushdie must be honored at the Academy Awards and Mahoun must be cast immediately and announced.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Antonymous posted:

books are not really 'written' they are discovered, like mathematics. Yeah someone has to have the idea but the book was already out there. much like any alien species probably has counting numbers, they probably have a Harry Potter, perhaps not written by a transphobe

there is no need to tie the ethics of the life of the author to the content of the book.

No logic in it. "schrodinger was polyamorous, so quantum physics isn't real" yeah ok good luck

I say as Ignition (Remix) begins to play for the 16th time in a row

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Antonymous posted:

To put this argument into the best light.

Been getting really into Drift Phonk electronic music, and if you ever wanted to hear mathematically generated art, the current crop of electronic music would prove you right.

Like just tons of electronic music that is made just to be put into 1 hour mixes with a cool picture.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aggressive+mix+
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chill+mix+
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bass+mix+
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=work+mix+
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cyberpunk+mix+
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dark+mix+

Current pop novels super lucked out from not becoming cookie cutter art. The audience and the publishers agreed to make books long enough around 80'000 words ( Between - 60'000 to 120'000) to keep most people away from reading or writing them.

Like how cds became 20 dollars but filled with tons of filler to reach the 1h and 19 minute mark. If you didn't have money, you were kept from hearing a lot of music. But if you had access to lots of cds, the music itself wasted your time.

The long superhero movies are doing the same thing.-
I would be willing to bet a c-spam-popper would let 2hour and 30 minute super movie would eat up an entire night, while they would spend over 4 hours watching three 90 minute movies in the same night.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 20:35 on Aug 18, 2022

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

The long superhero movies are doing the same thing.-
I would be willing to bet a c-spam-popper would let 2hour and 30 minute super movie would eat up an entire night, while they would spend over 4 hours watching three 90 minute movies in the same night.

at some point they figured out that longer MCU movie = more money, I can't imagine they'll deviate from the formula anytime soon

RIP cgi artists

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Filthy Hans posted:

at some point they figured out that longer MCU movie = more money, I can't imagine they'll deviate from the formula anytime soon

RIP cgi artists

4 hour movies with an intermission.
Just wipe out all other movies from theaters.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was driving all day and couldn't say this but the 25-year-old who is disenchanted with YA should just read Mistborn imo

Sort of a slow, easy, guided transition into grown-up genre fiction

(tw, though, Sanderson is a Mormon)

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

loquacius posted:

I was driving all day and couldn't say this but the 25-year-old who is disenchanted with YA should just read Mistborn imo

Sort of a slow, easy, guided transition into grown-up genre fiction

(tw, though, Sanderson is a Mormon)

I was going to pull out our ~main character of the day's~ twitter entry on Sanderson but the coward set her tweets to protected :/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what if instead of 3-hour movies the studios made two 90-minute movies and sold twice the number of tickets

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
loving stoked for this 500-themed retelling of the spartan story as a metaphor for samsara the wheel of suffering, can't find out much else about it though

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

i say swears online posted:

what if instead of 3-hour movies the studios made two 90-minute movies and sold twice the number of tickets

You have discovered: Streaming Services

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Discworld would also be good for the same reason, but half the reason I rec'd Mistborn is that it's still about a teen girl, just not one that spends much time on teenage bullshit, and Discworld, despite being approachable enough that kids could and frequently do read it, is about adults, so that one might be a bit more of a culture shock

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Cabbages and Kings posted:

loving stoked for this 500-themed retelling of the spartan story as a metaphor for samsara the wheel of suffering, can't find out much else about it though

what? that sounds cool.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

someone at disney mustve put out a memo recently that its ok to say that they just didnt have enough time to make the cg good bc its been coming up in every interview

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
i guess they know now they've achieved complete cultural hegemony.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Sorry kids, we just didn't have the budget for a good she-hulk this Christmas. maybe next year, if you're good!

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I dunno man what do have left. Hooooo boy. What about Dazzler, here’s Dazzler.

*overweight man holding sparklers falls out of a van*

Is that ok. We’re…. just…. so tired.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

God saw the MCU had become too powerful, so COVID happened and now Disney can't just poo poo out 6 movies a year and make a billion guaranteed on every one, the productions are getting worse and worse, and China clowns the gently caress out of them when they try to ingratiate themselves into the Chinese market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Durf posted:

I dunno man what do have left. Hooooo boy. What about Dazzler, here’s Dazzler.

*overweight man holding sparklers falls out of a van*

Is that ok. We’re…. just…. so tired.

Did we do Jem already? Yeah? poo poo, nobody remembers let's just do that again