Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

When one red go-faster stripe isn’t enough, only two will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You people need to appreciate the RACING stripe.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Only graphics allowed on a car are when they're part of a cigarette logo :colbert:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Just put a stripe on your Porsche that says Volkswagen.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fahrvergnügen :thumbsup:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

slidebite posted:

Only graphics allowed on a car are when they're part of a cigarette logo :colbert:

Or liquor logo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i like the lower door text but on the hood it just looks dumb

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
I think I may just go badgeless. Except for the calipers, which I had done today. I decided to go against the grain and am pleased with the results. I used my cricut on metallic vinyl and they put a nice clear coat over it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
With wheel…

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nice. Let us know how it holds up, I thought wraps were not heat resistant enough for brakes

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

slidebite posted:

Nice. Let us know how it holds up, I thought wraps were not heat resistant enough for brakes

Oh, sorry - the calipers were actually painted, then we applied my little vinyl logos, then it was clear coated. The vinyl I used is the kind designed for iron-on transfers so it has a little more heat resistance.

I’m just very happy right now. My world has been kinda upside-down since July 2019 - lost my Mom, then the pandemic, no job - so since February I’ve managed to get back on my feet, pay off a bunch of deferred bills (car, ahem) save some money and make my little Box an eye-catcher again.

[Narrator] The next day, he and the car were disintegrated by aliens.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What kinda price for the wrap? Thinking about getting a full wrap for my daily rather than just clear bra on the front.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

bird with big dick posted:

What kinda price for the wrap? Thinking about getting a full wrap for my daily rather than just clear bra on the front.

Wrap, wheels, materials, labor were $2800 (east TN/ north GA).

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
That’s a drat good price these days.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Goddamn that's cheap. Guessing I won't be able to get anywhere near that in Reno.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I wrapped a car in Reno, just to watch it peel.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

pipebomb posted:

Wrap, wheels, materials, labor were $2800 (east TN/ north GA).

Holy poo poo that's cheap. I've gotten quotes for wrapping my RF Miata in Austin, and all the prices were somewhere between $3500-4500.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Even the local TintWorld here quoted only $3k. There are advantages to living nowhere.

Cinrac
Feb 22, 2004
I have been in contact with two dealers about ordering a Boxster for European delivery. One says right now you cannot order anything for European delivery. The other took two weeks to get an answer and said I will probably be able to do it and get an allocation in December or January and maybe get a car in April or may, but they want 10k market adjustment. That’s for a base. More for a higher trim….

He also confirmed they get an extra allocation by me doing European delivery. Seems pretty crazy to ask for 10k extra when they get 0 dollars and no car to sell if I don’t order… but what do I know.

The first dealer says that he isn’t sure what the second dealer is talking about and he is certain there is no new info on when you can do European delivery.

Seems like buying a Porsche is like buying every other car. :bang:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cinrac posted:

I have been in contact with two dealers about ordering a Boxster for European delivery. One says right now you cannot order anything for European delivery. The other took two weeks to get an answer and said I will probably be able to do it and get an allocation in December or January and maybe get a car in April or may, but they want 10k market adjustment. That’s for a base. More for a higher trim….

He also confirmed they get an extra allocation by me doing European delivery. Seems pretty crazy to ask for 10k extra when they get 0 dollars and no car to sell if I don’t order… but what do I know.

The first dealer says that he isn’t sure what the second dealer is talking about and he is certain there is no new info on when you can do European delivery.

Seems like buying a Porsche is like buying every other car. :bang:

I’ve been waiting for a ED allocation as well. I’m in no rush, and the dealer told me this week to expect to wait longer “for Porsche to fill our order.” Hoping for next spring/summer? :shrug:

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I've decided I want to own a proper two seater sports car at least once in my life and I'm too drat tall to fit comfortably in any of the usual suspects of reasonably priced Japanese models.

I'm looking at early 2000s Carreras and Boxters and I was wondering if there is a good guide to what to look for and year over year changes.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I replaced the broken odometer gear in my '86 944 yesterday:

(I cleaned out the gears with a brush as well, don't think that picture with the new gear is what it looked like when I put it back in the car)

Where I may have hosed up was I bent the speedometer needle when I was pressing it back in place. It was a pain to get out and I don't know if something broke or not. It doesn't work at the moment and I bent the poo poo out of the flimsy arm. It looks bad. I don't know why it wouldn't work though, unless somehow I didn't press it in far enough. It was almost impossible to get it in as far as I did. What's the trick?

At least the odometer works fine now.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Is this overspray under my spoiler? I can scrape it off with my fingernail and it looks like dirt in some places but I can’t tell. Planning on replacing the cracked to hell boot and I haven’t really looked under here closely before.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Our macan is at 6 years/135k miles and I figure it might be time for a suspension refresh at some point. What would you guys replace? We’ll probably hold on to it for another 1.5-2 years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Our macan is at 6 years/135k miles and I figure it might be time for a suspension refresh at some point. What would you guys replace? We’ll probably hold on to it for another 1.5-2 years.

Nothing that you can't see is actually moving around with a pry bar and a wheel off the ground if that's all you're keeping it for.

The cayenne just got a new everything up front.

No sane person would do this because the parts + book time is more than the thing is worth. You have a bit more "macan equity" to deal with but really.......what problem are you trying to solve here? Does it feel like poo poo or is this preventative?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Nothing that you can't see is actually moving around with a pry bar and a wheel off the ground if that's all you're keeping it for.

The cayenne just got a new everything up front.

No sane person would do this because the parts + book time is more than the thing is worth. You have a bit more "macan equity" to deal with but really.......what problem are you trying to solve here? Does it feel like poo poo or is this preventative?

Thanks, that makes it pretty easy. The car just doesn’t seem to ride as well as the loaners I’ve been in (bouncier, less tight) and I figured the struts might be going at least after this long.

Sounds like it might not be worth it though.

Edit: seems like the macan is only worth 20k or so with that mileage, fwiw.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 11, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Oh ouch you're not doing much better than mine.

(I do not care - I have no idea what I would replace this stupid thing with so I'm just leaning in and doing everything)

And I can confirm it feels like brand new up front after the alignment. But where do you start and stop on this? If you're using OE or OEM parts you're at $3500 or so probably to shotgun the front end, and then even at $85/hr you're looking at another $1k of labor on a good day and this is only if everything goes perfectly well. And it will not because that thing started it life in salt. So something gonna break, some connector is gonna get destroyed, etc. I'm still chasing shakeout gremlins on mine.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 11, 2022

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Residency Evil posted:

JFC, seriously?! That makes them the performance bargain of the drat decade.

What's going on with your local market. Up here in the frozen north, they're still 40k CAD minimum with that age and kms.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

I bought my 520 HP twin Turbo v8 luxury SUV with a $120k sticker 6+ years ago with 85k miles on it for 15 grand.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

McTinkerson posted:

What's going on with your local market. Up here in the frozen north, they're still 40k CAD minimum with that age and kms.

Motronic posted:

Oh ouch you're not doing much better than mine.

(I do not care - I have no idea what I would replace this stupid thing with so I'm just leaning in and doing everything)

And I can confirm it feels like brand new up front after the alignment. But where do you start and stop on this? If you're using OE or OEM parts you're at $3500 or so probably to shotgun the front end, and then even at $85/hr you're looking at another $1k of labor on a good day and this is only if everything goes perfectly well. And it will not because that thing started it life in salt. So something gonna break, some connector is gonna get destroyed, etc. I'm still chasing shakeout gremlins on mine.

It's a MY 2017 base car (bought in 2016) with 135k miles. Looking at autotrader/cargurus, seems like our car is the highest mileage one out of any available nationwide. The dealer says it's their highest mileage Macan. My wife bought it new before we got married when she was doing 25-30k miles/year. I drive it now, but it's purely a commuter at this point. If I was buying it, I'd have probably gone for the S at least and would be more motivated to keep it longer. I saw I could pick up Bilstein B6s for $700 on Tirerack, so was thinking I could keep a suspension refresh to $1k-1500. Sounds like it might be significantly more/not worth it if we're only keeping it for a few more years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I saw I could pick up Bilstein B6s for $700 on Tirerack, so was thinking I could keep a suspension refresh to $1k-1500. Sounds like it might be significantly more/not worth it if we're only keeping it for a few more years.

I mean, those might freshen it up a bit?

But realistically not only that is a bit tatty but also every bushing in the upper and lower control arms and the ball joints on the outer tie rod ends, probably the inners as well. So you don't get "feels like new" until you've done it all.

But like I mentioned, anything that is super out (move around with a pry bar) will make a huge difference and should be replaced for safety anyway.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

So I did the air filters on our new-to-us 2009 Cayman yesterday.

Despite coming with annual oil changes and regular service at the local Porsche dealer, the engine filter that came was from 2016. The cabin filter did not come with a date, but I’d estimate it to be of similar age; least it was the filthiest filter I’ve changed in any car to date.
Moral of the story? Not sure, but I sure feel good about deciding to do the work myself.

The engine filter required access to the engine bay, which was a weird experience and involves removing the carpeted cover behind the seats, with an aluminum hatch underneath with 5x Torx screws. The air filter box hatch is held down with Phillips screws, which seems like a dumb choice when basically everything else on the car is Torx or Allen.

Conversely, the cabin air filter is only held in with a bracket, albeit with 4x Torx. But because it’s located under the windshield frame, access is severely restricted, and it probably took longer to swap than the engine filter. Amusingly, it’s not covered in any way, except by the windshield frame and a thin flap of woven plastic.
It looks like something you’d expect to see in a Lotus, and absolutely looks like the design philosophy was “good enough, let’s go to the pub!”

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

morothar posted:

The air filter box hatch is held down with Phillips screws, which seems like a dumb choice when basically everything else on the car is Torx or Allen.

From time to time porsche has used a mix of torx, etorx and triple square to indicate "this is a workshop service part/item" and phillips for "this is a user serviceable item". They just never seem to stay very consistent and it always throws me off when I find those few phillips.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Motronic posted:

From time to time porsche has used a mix of torx, etorx and triple square to indicate "this is a workshop service part/item" and phillips for "this is a user serviceable item". They just never seem to stay very consistent and it always throws me off when I find those few phillips.

Seems particularly weird given you have to remove 5x Torx to open up the engine bay.

Given the air filter is secured with a 3rd philips under the 2x philips hatch, I basically took the entire setup as “we have to find something for this weird-as mid-engine layout, what can we get off the shelf somewhere else. Or anywhere else, really”.

The engine air filters on my previous C4S were a completely different design. As was the cabin air filter setup. Gotta say, the Cayman feels very 911-parts bin, combined with somewhat panicky engineering solutions where the 911 parts bin ran out.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I'm thinking about getting a first gen Cayenne and wanted to see if I could get the opinions of folks in here.

I would like a turbo for what should be obvious reasons.

It seems like there are some issues that need to be addressed that are common between the 955 and the 957 and after reading a bunch and watching some youtube it seems like there are really only a couple of big differences.

955 - port injection
957 - direct injection
955 and pre-2010 957 - potential cylinder scoring, albeit much less common on the turbos.
2010 957 - no more cylinder scoring.
957 - high pressure fuel pump may need to be replaced

Everything else seems fairly similar - for example, supposedly you don't have to replace the cooling pipes on the 957 but it doesn't matter because you still have to replace the coolant T behind the engine so you're already way back there and at that point who cares about whether or not you also replaced coolant pipes earlier on. Same thing with the gluing on the coolant line on the back for the 957. If you're back there replacing the t anyway, it doesn't seem like a huge issue to me that separates the two models.

Then the question really comes down to dealing with (1) valve cleaning on direct injection at some point (and at what point would that be?) and (2) high pressure fuel pump replacement vs. the potential cylinder scoring issue. I'm inclined to look for a 2010 turbo because the idea of a hidden catastrophic problem that just ruins everything forever is not something I really want to deal with, but I don't know if I'm just overthinking it or if there are some other factors that I should be weighting more heavily. Maybe there's crazy carbon buildup on the valves because of direct injection and it's awful to clean? I haven't seen anything about that on rennlist posts or in any of the videos I watched but I know that's a potential issue with direct injection.

After that, is there anything else that's worth looking for or avoiding? Anything I'm being stupid about? I am excellent at being stupid about things so this would not be surprising. Any other words of wisdom or general advice?

Thanks!

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
lol good timing on 955 Turbo chat

When I first got it I had my shop check to see if the coolant lines had been upgraded. They said it looked like they had been. But the puddle of coolant on the highway might say differently.....

THIS issue aside it has been a really fun vehicle and would recommend if you can find a good deal on one (prices have gone sort of stupid on them lately).

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

another loser posted:

THIS issue aside it has been a really fun vehicle and would recommend if you can find a good deal on one (prices have gone sort of stupid on them lately).

My thread has a good rundown on potential issues you may encounter, although mine was the non turbo and ultimately suffered a cylinder scoring death.

Prices seem to have gone nuts because of the influencer lux-off-roading. I have about a half dozen gen 1 cayennes turned Off roader on my feed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

another loser posted:

When I first got it I had my shop check to see if the coolant lines had been upgraded. They said it looked like they had been. But the puddle of coolant on the highway might say differently.....

Perfect time to do the valve cover gaskets because if they're not already leaking they will be soon enough. Throw a water pump, new pulley, a couple of hoses, a new serp belt and an expansion tank and cap in there while you're at it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Anyone else hear about this Porsche gas emissions settlement? Previous owner forwarded me the email he received. Looks like it's more for original owners but may be worth looking into, $200 buys a few tanks of fuel.

https://www.porschegasolinesettlementusa.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Looks like maybe:

quote:

Under the Settlement, maximum cash payments range from approximately $200 to $1,100 for original and sole owners of the Class Vehicles, depending on the model and model year of the vehicle. Former owners, lessees, and non-original owners may be eligible to claim compensation. Certain Class Vehicles will receive compensation based on changes to fuel economy, which will be reflected in an updated Monroney Label, and payments for those vehicles will vary based on months of ownership/lease. Class Vehicles with Sport+ Mode that are part of the ongoing Sport+ emissions recall will receive an additional $250 for completion of the recall. The total value of the Settlement is at least $80 million.

D'oh. Highlighted some more. Thanks y'all.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 28, 2022