Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/_Jon_Green/status/1560037285885796353?t=lC3O1durlcImauPv0R-vuQ&s=19

I cannot wait to buy shares in this absolute boondoggle. Adam needs to be given a super swirlie and shoved into a locker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
a16z is the new softbank, just vomiting money at all kinds of garbage

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

WSB apes were convinced Cohen didn't actually sell his BBBY shares this week, he just filed papers saying he might in the future. Ooops

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/wrtqyw/ryan_cohen_sells_entire_bbby_stake_on_16th_and/

RC and that rich kid literally robbing WSB blind

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

WSB apes were convinced Cohen didn't actually sell his BBBY shares this week, he just filed papers saying he might in the future. Ooops

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/wrtqyw/ryan_cohen_sells_entire_bbby_stake_on_16th_and/

Ouch, down 40% in AH.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Any FOMO i get by not liquidating and going all on after hearing about these pump and dumps is immediately offset by the massive schaudenfreude I get reading WSB after they get caught holding the bag. I got burned heavily by ARKK and other flash in the pan stuff last year and it's just been :munch: since then

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I almost sold half my shares yesterday on that news until I saw it was about potentially selling the shares, and that Cohen would have to file that form every 90 days anyway.

Then today's news of the actual sale hit and I dashed off an AH sale.

Profit if I'd sold at the recent peak: $600+
Profit if I'd sold when I wanted yesterday: ~$400
Profit from selling AH today: $180

Still way ahead of anyone who chased the pump!

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Glad I sold yesterday for a ~$2500 profit, yikes

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Leperflesh posted:

But the supremacy of the first page of google results has all but eliminated the wild days of homespun web sites being vastly more common than corporate ones. Youtube/spotify/etc. have productized music listeners and sold them as marketing data. Online banking has made it easier than ever for online scammers to get people to empty their bank accounts and send them over the internet to people in other countries. Government sites gave government agencies all the excuse they needed to eliminate human customer reps, so if you want to do something at DMV and it's not renewing your registration, you may have to stand in line for five times longer than you would have in the 1990s. Or maybe some "disruptor" has hijacked the stand-in-line ticketing system and you have to pay them a bribe to regain access to an appointment.

What we're really bitching about is how the openness of the internet that was so cool in the 90s and early aughts was also what made it so vulnerable to exploitation by the powerful. That's what happens when you build public infrastructure but don't exclude corporate access to it.

Was about to post this. I really feel that the internet has become much "smaller" and I really miss the age of homespun websites (which is why I love it when I come across someone still running one for a niche interest or something).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

We don't surf the Internet anymore, we just scroll.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We crawl the web

drk
Jan 16, 2005

I'm not going to do all the math in the SEC doc, but it looks like he sold about 10M shares for an average price around $25.

If he bought in at $5, thats a cool $200M profit with a bunch of reddit bros now holding a rapidly imploding bag (trading under $12 today).

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

drk posted:

If he bought in at $5, thats a cool $200M profit with a bunch of reddit bros now holding a rapidly imploding bag (trading under $12 today).

don't remember where I read it but I believe the avg cost on buying his shares was ~$15. Seen some headlines quoting his return as $50-70M on this one. Gotta respect the heel turn bilking your most loyal cultists.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fate Accomplice posted:

don't remember where I read it but I believe the avg cost on buying his shares was ~$15. Seen some headlines quoting his return as $50-70M on this one. Gotta respect the heel turn bilking your most loyal cultists.

As someone who could live the rest of his life in comfort decadence on $50-$70M, I would heel-turn in an instant and just check out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can barely buy an A list beachfront 1 acre property in Malibu for that price, let alone pay property taxes and maintenance on it for $70mm

At $50mm you might as well get a day job

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Hadlock posted:

You can barely buy an A list beachfront 1 acre property in Malibu for that price, let alone pay property taxes and maintenance on it for $70mm

ill take my chances.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Enjoy your partial water view condo in manhattan beach

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone dumb enough to live on the coast deserves to get fleeced.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I'm living in a lake front rental for $775/mo right now :smuggo:

I suppose my idea of decadence probably doesn't match Ryan Cohen's.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Warmachine posted:

I'm living in a lake front rental for $775/mo right now :smuggo:

I suppose my idea of decadence probably doesn't match Ryan Cohen's.

I sometimes pay the $2 for a cup of fresh sliced jalapeños

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

SKULL.GIF posted:

We don't surf the Internet anymore, we just scroll.

Dude... that's a surprisingly accurate and depressing sentence.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Baddog posted:

To try to spur some discussion - my biggest gains have come from just a few picks, great companies with such a good idea that people would be almost dumb not to use them. Amazon when aws came out. Netflix (pre streaming, when it was just obvious that their model was so much better than blockbuster). Costco - better prices for quality items, crazy lenient return policy, people are lining up to get in (still!). I remember my grandmother got into Walmart wayyyy back, cus when they came to her state and she saw how much better they were, it was a no-brainer to her.

Anyone have any thoughts on what could be a similar company now? Something that has become part of your routine, you don't know why more people aren't using it, anyone you tell about it is eager to try it?

Maybe it's just a dead time right now (pandemic?), but nothing I look at seems that exciting/explosive to me.

Dredging a post from weeks ago here, but I wanted to respond to this to say that this is something that has always worked well for me as well. I've done very well in the past buying companies where it has seemed like, they're #1 or #2 in their market, they have a very passionate fanbase, and subjectively from personal experience they seem to clearly be making the best quality products amongst everyone else.

When I was getting into running and fitness I went out shopping and all the clothes seemed like dorky trash compared to Nike's stuff. Under Armour was kind of new and an investor darling at the time but seemed kinda like trash to me. I bought Nike. Did very well. Lululemon a similar experience where the product is clearly very good and even more so than Nike they have a passionate customer base.

Like clearly um, it's very important to do all the regular research, but I consider this sort of evaluation as a sort of gateway to having a real solid look at the company. Like you're at the shop and thinking, "man this stuff is great, what's the deal with this company?" and then you go look up its stock ticker.

People that go out and are always doing new things and have their eyes and ears open are advantaged in picking up on new things happening.

I don't have personal experience with Chewy because I'm Canadian and it remains US only, but I've been intrigued by the fact that it seems to have the same sort of vibes of enthusiastic customers that strongly insist it's better than everything else. It was doing very well, but seems to have been punished by the pandemic reopen trade and decline in the market. If it is genuinely as good as all its passionate customers insist then we should expect to see it weather all this and keep going strong. We'll see.

There are other companies that seem to be major winners in their market that seem to have a big fanbase that have also been incredibly beaten down, not necessarily because they stumbled in quality and execution, and more to do with the fact that pandemic easy money spiked their market share to unsustainable and stupid values. Stuff like Shopify still feels like a good company to me in that they're enabling so many small businesses to get online, but even if they continue to be successful, man I dunno if they (or CHWY or other pandemic high flyers) will ever gonna get to that insane pandemic price point again.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 20, 2022

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Former chewy customer, back to shopping local. Shipping heavy boxes of pet food didnt work great at the best of times, but after a couple shipments disappeared (a neighbor came by with them over 6 months later!) I dropped them. Prices are lower locally and I dont have to deal with damaged or missing stuff.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Re-reading what I wrote it comes across as just a sort of vague "invest in good companies stupid" advice and I'm struggling to reframe my thoughts here.

I guess what I'm trying to emphasize here is that when people are really passionate about some product, sometimes it can be a "where there's smoke there's fire" sort of signal, that maybe there's something to that company that suggests a further and deeper look. Maybe those people are so passionate for a reason.

This hasn't always worked out for me though. I was hearing from all sorts of tech people I knew that were going gaga for Slack and when I started using it at the tiny company I was at I thought it had huge potential. I do think it was a great product, but ultimately I think I only made a pittance on that stock because it really didn't go anywhere. Microsoft ended up diving into the space and ate into their momentum. Even if you have a great product, a thousand ways things can fail.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Femtosecond posted:

Re-reading what I wrote it comes across as just a sort of vague "invest in good companies stupid" advice and I'm struggling to reframe my thoughts here.

Yep, it can definitely seem like "duh" advice. But there's an obvious distinction between piling money into shitco stocks that you think might "squeeze", vs a company where you see people literally lining up to buy their crap.

I like the Shopify concept. The stock still looks expensive, but it is only ~3x from where it was five years ago. And the product has obviously really matured, and revenues are way up from then. If you are starting up an online business, is shopify just the no-brainer choice? Does seem like it, with a pretty low monthly fee that covers a ton of ground. Seems to even be plenty of fulfillment/warehousing partners who promise to integrate with it seemlessly. Looks like they are losing Amazon fulfillment in a few weeks though, and you'll have to add another 3rd party service to keep that tied together (still only tens of dollars per month). Wonder what the story is there. Because Shopify is building it's own fulfillment network? https://www.shopify.com/fulfillment

I see an estimate that 20% of e-commerce sites have been built with shopify, vs 10% with woocommerce. Which I hadn't even heard of, but it looks like it is an open source package? 20% sounds great in a big market - but is this almost all lovely dropshipping sites? What's the real market here? But if they are only 2x as good as the freeware software, I dunno. Can anyone who has used both speak to the differences?

Chewy.... man I know people like it, but I just don't see the big idea. They are just shipping other peoples pet food? They aren't making their own super premium stuff, just shipping a 50 pound bag of pedigree to your door? I don't see where there is a competitive advantage, beyond some great marketing. And maybe selling at a loss to grow revenue.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think we're gonna end up licencing some of shopify's technology. They have not terrible tech and I guess the documentation isn't terrible

That said they just laid off 10% of their workforce, like 2 weeks ago so that's not amazing

If you want to hear my hot stock tips on which Fintech people are just lining up around the block to buy their products, you can subscribe to my newsletter

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hadlock posted:

I think we're gonna end up licencing some of shopify's technology. They have not terrible tech and I guess the documentation isn't terrible

That said they just laid off 10% of their workforce, like 2 weeks ago so that's not amazing

If you want to hear my hot stock tips on which Fintech people are just lining up around the block to buy their products, you can subscribe to my newsletter

Software companies always seem to bloat up outrageously. They were at 10k employees? I guess they have big sales/support requirements because they are pushing to very small businesses. But still. Empire building instincts of middle managers.

Good to hear other companies are actually licensing some of their software. They aren't just enabling the dropshipping "industry" then. Can you say which piece?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not really. We're not a fortune 500 though

I doubt a ton of people are licencing their tech; our shopping cart just so happens to be so incredibly hosed that it's cheaper to buy their tech than try and engineer a greenfield design and implement it right now, or at least that was the board's solution

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Baddog posted:

Chewy.... man I know people like it, but I just don't see the big idea. They are just shipping other peoples pet food? They aren't making their own super premium stuff, just shipping a 50 pound bag of pedigree to your door? I don't see where there is a competitive advantage, beyond some great marketing. And maybe selling at a loss to grow revenue.

Chewy is an absolute mystery to me, especially since I'm not in a country that can use it so I can't have first hand experience, for the exact reasons you've said. Like yeah, really? Dog food delivery? There's gotta be something magic there in looping people into buying more once they snag them into convenient pet food delivery. I dunno.

Don't get me wrong I'm not really advocating Chewy as good company to invest in, I was more pointing them out as an example of a company that seems to have a curiously beyond normal passionate customer base. That suggests that they could have something good going on.

With a passionate customer base, I mean obviously that's great in creating repeat customers, but that's also great for creating valuable, free, word of mouth advertising.

Those companies that seem to be able to turn their customers into advocates for the company seem like a big plus. (Apple a classic example of this)

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

My most first hand experience with Shopify is pals of mine with a retail store set up an online store with Shopify right before the pandemic. They said it saved them as foot traffic plummeted.

So yea don't forget that aspect of the business. There's a huge amount of small brick n' mortar shops that are leveraging Shopify tech to expand their businesses online.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/JerryCap/status/1483488810243657735?s=20&t=C9TSKCkwupyGdgN-K1tLCQ

split-adjusted, $shop is now down to ~340 (-ish?) on that chart.

tobi buying into .eth was a great tell for the $shop bubble

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Femtosecond posted:

Chewy is an absolute mystery to me, especially since I'm not in a country that can use it so I can't have first hand experience, for the exact reasons you've said. Like yeah, really? Dog food delivery? There's gotta be something magic there in looping people into buying more once they snag them into convenient pet food delivery. I dunno.

Don't get me wrong I'm not really advocating Chewy as good company to invest in, I was more pointing them out as an example of a company that seems to have a curiously beyond normal passionate customer base. That suggests that they could have something good going on.

With a passionate customer base, I mean obviously that's great in creating repeat customers, but that's also great for creating valuable, free, word of mouth advertising.

Those companies that seem to be able to turn their customers into advocates for the company seem like a big plus. (Apple a classic example of this)

Probably repeating myself, but I remember back in college (iPod era) when classmates would talk about needing a new laptop and they'd go with a $1,400 MacBook by default. I would gently advocate for a $300-500 Windows laptop on the basis of saving money, but they wouldn't listen. Apple products "just work," therefore four figures for an email/homework/browsing laptop is the only way. Should've dumped my early paychecks into Apple under such conditions.

Regarding Chewy, I hear raves about them similar to those for Zappos. "I told the customer service rep my sob story and they gave me overnight delivery, a thoughtful card, and a bouquet of flowers" type deals. Any sign that a retailer will react to your specific situation instead of immediately loving you over or shutting you down is the start of a cult in America.

I really wondered if Ryan Cohen would bring that approach to GameStop somehow instead of price-manipulation chicanery. There are plenty of families who would pledge allegiance to a retailer that notices their kid's favorite game/franchise and tosses in a free pair of licensed socks / Tshirt / poster / whatever. Having said that, their "get $10 for $5 every month" deal is a no-brainer to me.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

not really a typical question for this thread, but has anyone here ever allocated to managed futures / cross-asset trend-following funds? what are your thoughts?

they've done great in 1H2022 (so it's probably too late...) but it's an interesting alternative asset class that may be of use in the future as they not strongly correlated to stocks and bonds. these funds typically take both long and short positions in equity indexes, bond futures, various currency pairs and individual commodity futures.

examples:

PQTAX, GMSAX, LFMAX, AHLPX, ABYAX (mutual funds)
DBMF and KMLM (etfs)

some financial advisors put these in managed portfolios.

following up on this old post...:

Bloomberg podcast and article this past week about DBMF with Andrew Beer, co-manager of the ETF.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/audio/2022-08-18/how-to-beat-the-s-p-500-by-30-percentage-points-podcast
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-20/how-to-beat-hedge-funds-at-their-game-according-to-baupost-alum

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

Chewy is an absolute mystery to me, especially since I'm not in a country that can use it so I can't have first hand experience, for the exact reasons you've said. Like yeah, really? Dog food delivery?

In the US dog food comes in 20/40/60 lb bags (27kg)

When we lived in an urban apartment, a lot of chewy customers were 100lb (45kg) women who didn't own cars, or maybe they owned cars but just didn't use them except for out of town trips

I think if you own a car with a hatchback (SUV, etc) and live in the suburbs where you don't need to fight with three other customers for an urban parking space and nearly get in a wreck trying to get across town just to get dog food, it makes a lot of sense

If you're going to Walmart twice a week to get family groceries in your giant planet-crusher SUV it's not a lot more work to have the Petco cashier (or your teenage kid) haul a 60 lb bag of dog food into your car

100lb women who live in urban apartments, in my limited experience, very often grow up to drive planet-crusher SUVs and live in the suburbs, so even if you build them up as a long term customer, they end up aging out of your product

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

more weekend reading...

the hedge funds of paul tudor jones and seth klarman bought made big new buys of WBD in Q2. totally underwater if they're still in it

https://whalewisdom.com/filer/tudor-investment-corp-et-al#tabholdings_tab_link
https://whalewisdom.com/filer/baupost-group-llc-ma#tabholdings_tab_link
https://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=WBD&ty=c&ta=1&p=d

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Femtosecond posted:

I just order cat food from Amazon because I hate my cat. I assume this is typical

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My cat is a million years old and goes through like 12lb of food (+ like 20lbs of cat treats my wife feeds him) every six months

100 lb dogs eat as much as a teenager, especially if they're at all active

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I wonder how much the pandemic impacted Chewy. On one hand it drove people to online shopping, but on the other all the retailers around me got good at curbside services and it’s hella easy to buy big stuff when you aren’t the one putting it in the cart and loading it into the car.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Baddog posted:

Yep, it can definitely seem like "duh" advice. But there's an obvious distinction between piling money into shitco stocks that you think might "squeeze", vs a company where you see people literally lining up to buy their crap.

I like the Shopify concept. The stock still looks expensive, but it is only ~3x from where it was five years ago. And the product has obviously really matured, and revenues are way up from then. If you are starting up an online business, is shopify just the no-brainer choice? Does seem like it, with a pretty low monthly fee that covers a ton of ground. Seems to even be plenty of fulfillment/warehousing partners who promise to integrate with it seemlessly. Looks like they are losing Amazon fulfillment in a few weeks though, and you'll have to add another 3rd party service to keep that tied together (still only tens of dollars per month). Wonder what the story is there. Because Shopify is building it's own fulfillment network? https://www.shopify.com/fulfillment

I see an estimate that 20% of e-commerce sites have been built with shopify, vs 10% with woocommerce. Which I hadn't even heard of, but it looks like it is an open source package? 20% sounds great in a big market - but is this almost all lovely dropshipping sites? What's the real market here? But if they are only 2x as good as the freeware software, I dunno. Can anyone who has used both speak to the differences?

Chewy's moat is the vast swathes of rural america where a local option simply doesn't exist.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

Chewy's moat is the vast swathes of rural america where a local option simply doesn't exist.

rural america, the part of the country famously unable to keep dogs or cats as pets before the advent of the internet and food delivery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gobbless chewy.com allowing rural americans the FREEDOM of pet ownership :911: