Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
crypto will help you get laid off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

CommieGIR posted:

The next Crypto boom: LayoffCoin

The Fire Festyval

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

distortion park posted:

Adam Neumann is honestly a genius. Burnt billions of dollars of money, structured the deals so he came out with billions, and the investor class are coming back for more of the same!

he must be insanely charismatic in person. i've never seen, read, or heard anything about him that didn't give me douche chills

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

enjoy staying poor!

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
in recognition of your service, we've minted you an NFT of your job, so while you may not actually be employed here anymore, you may not seek unemployment as you still have your job, thank you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Muscle Tracer posted:

apparently some bored apes are racist?

obviously the free market provides only one solution.

they may well be, but that whole thing about them being racists started with a couple of guys who had failed to make successful NFTs themselves, multiple times over, who suddenly took an incredible interest in the apparent racism behind the recently successful bored ape collection. they racked up hundreds of tweets finding increasingly fanciful links to racist imagery and nazi symbolism, in the space of about a month or so.

so yeah, they're probably all nazis anyway, but these clowns in particular have an axe to grind

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I just can't understand how a company like crypto.com has thousands of employees to begin with. How many people can it possibly take to facilitate the exchange of actual-money and crypto, while skimming a percentage off the top? I mean, a finnish exchange, Coinmotion, does exactly that with less than 50 employees.

Were there thousands of units of room meat hired to show off some "growth metrics" to investors?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Crust First posted:

in recognition of your service, we've minted you an NFT of your job, so while you may not actually be employed here anymore, you may not seek unemployment as you still have your job, thank you

start the wiki, and you've solved* all the world's problems for a day

mint an nft of starting the wiki, and you've tokenized** all the world's problems for life

*definitely as good as solved, for sure
**tokenized problems are essentially solved* already, if not even moreso

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

DaTroof posted:

he must be insanely charismatic in person. i've never seen, read, or heard anything about him that didn't give me douche chills
He and his wife are such pro-tier cult leaders that their cult got VC funding into the billions. His golden parachute wasn't even the best part of the deal; he was buying up distressed NYC properties and leasing them back to WeWork, who would do the renos.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

He and his wife are such pro-tier cult leaders that their cult got VC funding into the billions. His golden parachute wasn't even the best part of the deal; he was buying up distressed NYC properties and leasing them back to WeWork, who would do the renos.

yeah, loving insane, but that's why i have trouble understanding how he got away with it. his in-person game must be off the hook. his real estate bullshit definitely put him over the top, but he had to get there off his personality to make it possible

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

good news apparently eth is saying it'll move to proof of stake on september 15th so look forward to the fun on the 16th when it doesn't

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I just can't understand how a company like crypto.com has thousands of employees to begin with. How many people can it possibly take to facilitate the exchange of actual-money and crypto, while skimming a percentage off the top? I mean, a finnish exchange, Coinmotion, does exactly that with less than 50 employees.

Were there thousands of units of room meat hired to show off some "growth metrics" to investors?

i asked this same drat question! it makes no sense!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

njsykora posted:

good news apparently eth is saying it'll move to proof of stake on september 15th so look forward to the fun on the 16th when it doesn't

or if it somehow does and then the next day someone steals all the eths

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

same but also twitter

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

it's a billion dollar company, of course it needs to have thousands of employees

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

lmao at all these suckers who drive more than 5 miles a week for some reason

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

njsykora posted:

remind me, proof of stake is essentially just "plutocracy" to proof of work's "capitalism" right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Muscle Tracer posted:

remind me, proof of stake is essentially just "plutocracy" to proof of work's "capitalism" right?

this is correct, it's where the people with the most coins get to make the rules, unlike now when the people with the most mining power which are also the people with the most coins get to make the rules

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

infernal machines posted:

they may well be, but that whole thing about them being racists started with a couple of guys who had failed to make successful NFTs themselves, multiple times over, who suddenly took an incredible interest in the apparent racism behind the recently successful bored ape collection. they racked up hundreds of tweets finding increasingly fanciful links to racist imagery and nazi symbolism, in the space of about a month or so.

so yeah, they're probably all nazis anyway, but these clowns in particular have an axe to grind

my favourite one was that if you took a number on the back of a boat and turned it in to a different number by shoving more numbers in to it, it became the birthday of an obscure random nazi guy

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

njsykora posted:

that's more than 2 weeks away what the heck they moved the goal even further in to the future

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I have no idea what percentage of their actual holdings 33 billion represents but the market as a whole dropped in the first half of 2022 so that may not mean much.

throwing $150m away on bitcoin is incompetence however, even if that's a shaving of their total portfolio

e: okay i gave the (ugh) globe and mail a click and yeah it's a fart in the wind

quote:

The Caisse’s 7.9-per-cent loss was better than the 10.5-per-cent loss in its benchmark – a portfolio of similar assets it uses to measure its performance. The performance, however, caused the Caisse to fall from nearly $419.8-billion in assets at Dec. 31, 2021, closing its books June 30 with $392-billion in its portfolio. (The investment losses were offset by $5.4 billion in contributions and new funds from the Caisse’s investment clients.)

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 19, 2022

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

this definitely ends in the guy's wallet being emptied out

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it has an nft in it, it's already empty

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
wallet is enfty

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

"you don't understand, bitcoin is a new financial paradigm, one where all the wealth isn't controlled by the old establishment, one where the power is in the hands of the people"

*the old establishment invests billions into cryptocurrency exchanges*

"this is good for bitcoin"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

harsh, they could have just killed him, it would have been kinder

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

they also bought twenty loving year naming rights for the Lakers/Clippers/Kings stadium. it's now the Crypto.com Arena

where the gently caress is that money coming from? that expense has got to be why they can't afford employees anymore

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Boxturret posted:

harsh, they could have just killed him, it would have been kinder

:hmmyes:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

...! posted:

they also bought twenty loving year naming rights for the Lakers/Clippers/Kings stadium. it's now the Crypto.com Arena

really curious whether they've completed payment yet, whether they will continue, and what happens if they don't

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

it’s really good if they do it because PoS doesn’t involve wasting a country’s worth of energy to validate transactions so I hope they do it and it works well enough that proof of work dies out.

but if they do it and someone immediately steals all the eth or it immediately forks into 5000 different competing chains or something that would be fun too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cool av posted:

it’s really good if they do it because PoS doesn’t involve wasting a country’s worth of energy to validate transactions so I hope they do it and it works well enough that proof of work dies out.

but if they do it and someone immediately steals all the eth or it immediately forks into 5000 different competing chains or something that would be fun too.

people who bought all them graphics cards aren't gonna just turn them the gently caress off, they'll just start mining monero or whatever

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Shame Boy posted:

people who bought all them graphics cards aren't gonna just turn them the gently caress off, they'll just start mining monero or whatever

Not if that one crashes too

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shame Boy posted:

crypto is driven entirely by hype and vibes so if it seems like PoW chains are the way of the past then things will tend to move in that direction. i don't care about the con existing any more than I care about the shell game guy on the subway as long as it's not ruining the goddamn planet

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Shame Boy posted:

at the same time it's exactly why moving to proof of stake isn't a thing and it's never going to actually happen: the miners can just say "no"

it will make a hard fork at least, if not just collapse the whole idea altogether

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shame Boy posted:

nah they’ll just keep the current eth chain alive as proof of steak is just a fork.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

they actually all work at the prop trading desk where they front run their clients' trades
and they're doing this manually because they'd all go to prison forever if the SEC would ever get their internal API documentation from a disgruntled ex employee, which is a greater risk now they're firing people by the thousands

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

EricBauman posted:

they actually all work at the prop trading desk where they front run their clients' trades
and they're doing this manually because they'd all go to prison forever if the SEC would ever get their internal API documentation from a disgruntled ex employee, which is a greater risk now they're firing people by the thousands

:pray:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You have a huge crowd of mutually-hostile actors who nonetheless want to establish a consensus timeline that serves all of their self-interest

With Proof-of-work you have an unlimited planetary-scale energy wasting contest to discover the next objectively-valid link in a chain and the people who discover each link get rewarded with some magic beans

With Proof-of-stake you *waves hands furiously* and now everybody agrees on which version of reality is valid and yet magically there is no more awful and irreversible cost to participate in the process

Easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of trust