Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Is there any reason to heat up parts with a torch before welding them?

Stick welding steel if that matters. Not stainless.

It depends. If you are welding structural mild steel then it is generally not needed.

Alloy steel generally requires some form of pre/post heat. Cast steel parts can use preheat to minimize cracking though this is less critical than for cast iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Long shot here... anyone know of a waterjet or (preferably) a laser shop that cuts structural materials? I'm talking Angle and Channel. I can only find places that cut flat sheet/plate. Is it unreasonable due to the tech? I didn't think so, but I can't find anyone that does it which makes me wonder.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

sharkytm posted:

Long shot here... anyone know of a waterjet or (preferably) a laser shop that cuts structural materials? I'm talking Angle and Channel. I can only find places that cut flat sheet/plate. Is it unreasonable due to the tech? I didn't think so, but I can't find anyone that does it which makes me wonder.

Laser is going to be an issue due to the different heights. You would probably have better luck with waterjet. You could try south shore manufacturing in Hanson, MA(my old shop I left a couple years ago), they have 3 Waterjets and a fiber laser cutter. Also S&T Precision in Whitman, MA has a few WJ machines.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
One of the teams after I graduated had the tubes laser notched for our Formula SAE chassis. I think it was this company https://www.rimetal.com/laser

quote:

-Up to 12” o.d. round, 9” sqr. & rect.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Laser is going to be an issue due to the different heights. You would probably have better luck with waterjet. You could try south shore manufacturing in Hanson, MA(my old shop I left a couple years ago), they have 3 Waterjets and a fiber laser cutter. Also S&T Precision in Whitman, MA has a few WJ machines.
Sweet. I'll reach out.

bred posted:

One of the teams after I graduated had the tubes laser notched for our Formula SAE chassis. I think it was this company https://www.rimetal.com/laser
That's a solid possibility. I'll get in touch with them as well.

Thanks!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I need to fab this thing:

My notion is to cut it out as a T and then fold the wings down. Unsure if it's better in aluminum or steel, both are fine as a material for this, but I'm not sure how thick of a material I could reasonably make such a bend in (or, probably more accurately, have someone with the right tool make such a bend). The tolerance between the wings once they're folded down is somewhat tight, as it needs to fit over some aluminum extrusion.

Am I better off cutting it as three pieces and welding the wings on at a right angle, or is the fold approach at all reasonable? The above render is 1/4", I think in aluminum I'd want it to be at least 3/16, I'm not sure what a similar rigidity in steel would require. I am happy making construction more complicated in order to stay as close to zero wiggle in this thing as possible. Probably over-doing it all around but I'm okay with that too.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 23, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Bad Munki posted:

I need to fab this thing:

My notion is to cut it out as a T and then fold the wings down. Unsure if it's better in aluminum or steel, both are fine as a material for this, but I'm not sure how thick of a material I could reasonably make such a bend in (or, probably more accurately, have someone with the right tool make such a bend). The tolerance between the wings once they're folded down is somewhat tight, as it needs to fit over some aluminum extrusion.

Am I better off cutting it as three pieces and welding the wings on at a right angle, or is the fold approach at all reasonable? The above render is 1/4", I think in aluminum I'd want it to be at least 3/16, I'm not sure what a similar rigidity in steel would require. I am happy making construction more complicated in order to stay as close to zero wiggle in this thing as possible. Probably over-doing it all around but I'm okay with that too.

That there is a perfect 90 degree notch so its only possible to make that by welding on tabs or machining it.

That said there are plenty of brackets folder over in this way to make basically any stamped hitch or clevis. For example this 3/16 steel clevis is folded similarly but not the radii:

You can find a chat of minimum bend radii vs material and sheet thickness by googling.

If I was making QTY 1-10 of those things and tolerances werent tight I'd definitely plasma/laser/water then bend it, possibly with a torch and hammer.

EDIT: Somewhat tight isn't a tolerance. If you're using a straight out of the die extruded bit of aluminum thats 1/4" thick the tolerances of the extrusion (likely greater than +/- 0.010") aren't somewhat tight by the definition of basically any machinist, but might be by the definition of a welder or woodworker.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 23, 2022

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I think welding will be your best bet if you need that sharp inside corner.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I’d probably bend it then hit the inside corner with a file. What sort of aluminum extrusion?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Depends a lot on what tools you have access to or if you're going to farm it out.

I'd cut and weld but I have the tools to do that easily at that thickness.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

bend it, know what the inside radius is gonna be and then chamfer the extrusion appropriately.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Bandit posted:

I’d probably bend it then hit the inside corner with a file. What sort of aluminum extrusion?
The ever-popular 80/20 type stuff. In this case, the actual extrusion is 1530. Goes on like this:

CarForumPoster posted:

EDIT: Somewhat tight isn't a tolerance.
Yer darn right it's not! You can see above how I intend to attach it to the aluminum extrusion, so I want it to be close, not not squeezing before putting it on there. Then some t-nuts and bolts will clamp it down. In other words, I want it to slip right on, but not be all loose when I go to tighten things up. So the tolerance is precisely "whatever it takes to ensure such a fit"

shame on an IGA posted:

bend it, know what the inside radius is gonna be and then chamfer the extrusion appropriately.
Also a solid option.

honda whisperer posted:

Depends a lot on what tools you have access to or if you're going to farm it out.

I'd cut and weld but I have the tools to do that easily at that thickness.
I have the tools to cut and weld, I don't have the tools to bend something that thing with any reasonable precision, unless a torch and a vice and a hammer can get it done, and I'm dubious about that. I'd probably take it to a local fab shop and beg them to do it the right way, there are a few places around here that do things like that as one-offs. I may go with this approach because I can cut the top plate to be just the right width and clamp it all in place on a scrap piece of extrusion and then tack it together. That'll surely get me a sufficiently comfortable and snug fit.

quote:

If I was making QTY 1-10 of those things and tolerances werent tight I'd definitely plasma/laser/water then bend it, possibly with a torch and hammer.
The quantity is ~4

Thanks for all the responses!

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 24, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Bad Munki posted:

I have the tools to cut and weld,

Perfect! Thats a 90 minute part. (So it'd take me all day) Lay it out, cut it and weld it up, then drill your holes once its right

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
You can bend that with a box and pan brake, most of the way anyway. Plenty far enough to set the crease and push it the rest of the way with a hammer or something.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
You can put a small chamfer on the end of the 8020 to clearance any internal radius on the bend.

It's be cheaper to do bent imo if you're jobbing it out, might be cheaper to weld it yourself if your time doesn't have an associated cost.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the precision of width is not gonna matter for that application with the threaded fasteners you've got specced for it. Tighten from bottom to top and it's not gonna have any wiggle, if it's really loose at the top of the side legs just shim it as needed. You're bigly overthinking this.

E: where's the guy that just bought half a ton of shim stock you got a customer

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 24, 2022

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nah, not content with shims, half the point of this over engineered toy is the aesthetics and the joy of getting it perfect. I'm okay with that aspect making my life difficult.

e: The other half is the extremely over-built nature of the design.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 24, 2022

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

If you have the tools to cut and weld I'd go that route for a quantity of 4 provided there it isnt a huge opportunity cost for your time.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

shame on an IGA posted:

the precision of width is not gonna matter for that application with the threaded fasteners you've got specced for it. Tighten from bottom to top and it's not gonna have any wiggle, if it's really loose at the top of the side legs just shim it as needed. You're bigly overthinking this.

E: where's the guy that just bought half a ton of shim stock you got a customer

If the pieces are a hair oversize and wiggly, couldn't you just tap them with a hammer to close the wings a bit? Not even enough to see, just a nudge

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
https://twitter.com/GenerMo/status/1551123902360961024?s=20&t=yXPP4XoziDu9sSOdc17g9A
Cross-post from ukraine threads. How do you think this happened?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rifled barrels still start life out as stamped slugs that are drawn as twisted as far as I know. And that looks round in the picture - hard to tell with a photo. So I'd say you draw a barrel out and chuck it up wrong/out of center in the lathe and just keep rolling with it rather than measuring or correcting as you turn it down.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

HolHorsejob posted:

Cross-post from ukraine threads. How do you think this happened?

If that is from a BMP-2, it's a 30mm barrel with a length of ~ 2.4 meters. The picture looks to be a section, so it could be centered at the beginning, wander in the middle, and straighten out in the end. Or whacky like a corkscrew banana the whole way through. I'm not familiar enough with gundrilling machinery to guess, but having designed reamers for 4-6 inch deep holes I absolutely know this can happen with dull tools, insufficiently robust cutters, and poor setups. It's probably a combination of all three.

edit : Unisig production cell showing the process flow. https://unisig.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/U1002_UNISIG_Firearms_Industry_Solutions-Brochure-EN-US.pdf

Yooper fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 25, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It could be that the thicker part is supposed to be at the bottom to counteract the barrel sagging or something? Or just lovely Russian/soviet quality control.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Someone should page Ensign Expendable for a closer look, but I think it's intentional.

https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/bmp-2.html Scroll down to the 2A42 section for more info. They don't reference the difference in thickness, but there is the gas blowback assembly and it appears that the wall thickness is thinner at that point.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

Rifled barrels still start life out as stamped slugs that are drawn as twisted as far as I know. And that looks round in the picture - hard to tell with a photo. So I'd say you draw a barrel out and chuck it up wrong/out of center in the lathe and just keep rolling with it rather than measuring or correcting as you turn it down.

I dont think anyone would draw an 8mm thick steel part. I'd be amazed to see a stamped part as well, not very likely.

Barrels are most likely forgings (in larger diameters) or bar stock.

Re: how to do it

Most of the 4 jaw chucks you see in machine shops are not self centering. So you can drill a hole thats on center with the headstock's bore but not concentric to the part's chucked up portion by moving the part off center. Thats how they could machine crankshaft rod journals on a lathe for example.

I'm with Yooper's suggestion that this is intentional and there may be additional stuff going on such as a gas blowback system further up the barrel.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm still working on getting that new handle on my axe that I posted about a while back. I've been leaving the head soaking in Vinegar for a while now, and most of the rust and old paint has been stripped off of it. Aside from a bit of stubborn rust in the eye, which hopefully will be gone in a day or two. I just changed the vinegar again yesterday, and going to do it again today too.

Just wondering, once I do get this thing done, what should I do to keep this thing from rusting again? I don't really want to paint it though I *might* do it. But I'd kinda like to keep the metal bare. I was thinking of using Remington CLP, its some gun cleaning poo poo that is alleged to "Clean, Lubricate and Protect". I figured I'd spray the entire head except for the edges. Or maybe I should spray the edges too? Is that stuff poo poo? It sees to work reasonably well on guns IME.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I'm still working on getting that new handle on my axe that I posted about a while back. I've been leaving the head soaking in Vinegar for a while now, and most of the rust and old paint has been stripped off of it. Aside from a bit of stubborn rust in the eye, which hopefully will be gone in a day or two. I just changed the vinegar again yesterday, and going to do it again today too.

Just wondering, once I do get this thing done, what should I do to keep this thing from rusting again? I don't really want to paint it though I *might* do it. But I'd kinda like to keep the metal bare. I was thinking of using Remington CLP, its some gun cleaning poo poo that is alleged to "Clean, Lubricate and Protect". I figured I'd spray the entire head except for the edges. Or maybe I should spray the edges too? Is that stuff poo poo? It sees to work reasonably well on guns IME.

Your options for preventing steel rust are basically passivating the steel (e.g. bluing, intentional rust "patina") , applying a bonded protective layer (e.g. paint, electroplating), or regularly applying a liquid protective coating (e.g. WD40).

Black coated drill bits and dark gun barrels are "blued". If you have ever left a black barreled gun or black oxide drill bits out in the rain or a humid garage, you've likely seen them start to develop corrosion. Bluing isnt exactly great for stopping corrosion long term in harsh conditions nor is it very abrasion resistant. That said IMO it looks nice. Bluing + paint is a pretty good solution.

You can use vinegar or other chemicals to passivate the steel forming a "patina" appearance which can be from dull grey to red rust.

The "farm and implement" and "rust stop" paints usually have agents in them to promote adhesion and passivate steels. If you go the paint route, these are usually superior anti corrosion options.

Spray on gun lubricants are fine too. WD40 should be fine, though it tends to need fairly frequent reapplication.

Pretty much any combo of the above works well together too. Passivation + oil will be better than just passivation or oil.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CLP, or any light oil would work fine. The bigger issue will be how and where it's stored. Leave it in a shed against a cinder block wall and you'll have rust regardless of what you put on it. Hung on a wall or in a tool cabinet in a not ridiculous humidity and you'll be fine. I've seen axe wax and such but have not tried it myself. A woobie around the head is also sure proof rust prevention.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
Let it get a thin coat of brown rust, then coat in fluid film, paste wax, or a mix of beeswax and boiled linseed oil, thinned with turpentine, if you feel fancy. Keep the rag where you store the axe, and give it swipe when you put it away.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

An axe head has a ton of metal. Protect the edge of the blade, and some surface rust on the rest of it is basically harmless. All of the above advice is fine and well of course, but I think the key thing is to not worry about it. A couple decades in your shed won't matter, especially if you pick it up and use it once a year and give it a bit of a rub with some some kind of oil when you do.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I painted my axes, because that was the factory look:

The untreated parts got some light oil.

Also been fabricating replacement parts for my car, 4 of these now. I think it's called a sill plate. The lower portion of the part that's under the door, towards the road:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
hi metal heads

i got a piece of outdoor equipment made out of painted sheet metal (it's a wheelbarrow). the a307 bolts are rusting. would it be a bad idea to replace them with stainless steel fasteners? or do i risk galvanic corrosion by doing this?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

DELETE CASCADE posted:

hi metal heads

i got a piece of outdoor equipment made out of painted sheet metal (it's a wheelbarrow). the a307 bolts are rusting. would it be a bad idea to replace them with stainless steel fasteners? or do i risk galvanic corrosion by doing this?

There may be some galvanic corrosion but it'll be very minimal compared to the sort of wear and tear a well used wheelbarrow sees. So unless you're a sprightly young person with intent to lovingly maintain this wheelbarrow for the next 60 years, go for it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
You could also put some anti-sieze on them to be the sacrificial corroded bit.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

armorer posted:

You could also put some anti-sieze on them to be the sacrificial corroded bit.

Anti seize everything. If you don't have hands like the tin man by the end of the day, you need more anti-sieze. I've been working on stuff in our facility long enough that I've run into things from when I first started so the only person I can curse for not using it is myself. Then I tear apart something from 2012 Yooper and am like "yes, this man used anti-seize".

Anyone going to IMTS?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

hi metal heads

Very much a lurker/not that knowledgeable, but nylon washers to reduce contact of the two different metals at the surface might help too.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
A friend of mine just had someone cut the catalytic converter off her truck. Is there a good way to defend against an angle grinder? Like, is there a metal that's guaranteed to gum up and shatter the wheel?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

HolHorsejob posted:

A friend of mine just had someone cut the catalytic converter off her truck. Is there a good way to defend against an angle grinder? Like, is there a metal that's guaranteed to gum up and shatter the wheel?

There are cable kits you can install, they won't prevent it 100%, but just make it much more difficult. One I've seen is just a bunch of cable loops while another is encapsulated cables so the sawzall can't get a cutting grip. If someone is 100% determined then you're kind of hosed, but this should be a solid deterrent. Another option could be a skid plate with tamper proof fasteners.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

HolHorsejob posted:

Non ferrous metals can clog grinding tools but after my cat got stolen last october I found that the general suggestion is to add steel in strategic places so it takes significantly longer to cut out the cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Non ferrous metals can clog grinding tools but after my cat got stolen last october I found that the general suggestion is to add steel in strategic places so it takes significantly longer to cut out the cat.

If you forget what cat is short for, which I totally didn't do, this becomes a very different message.