Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Nucleic Acids posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MForstater/status/1560167387860795397

Elements of the British government are considering allowing no interest loans people can use to buy food

Isn’t this lady a big TERF, like her lawsuit about why she should be allowed to be a hateful bigot to her co-workers and still get her work contract renewed was a cause celebre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

AlbieQuirky posted:

Isn’t this lady a big TERF, like her lawsuit about why she should be allowed to be a hateful bigot to her co-workers and still get her work contract renewed was a cause celebre?
Her being a TERF is why she's making this argument to begin with. The concept and campaigning related to period poverty has a bit of overlap with trans awareness and trans rights groups so naturally she has to burn it all down, and to hell with all the cis women who get burned too, they were poor anyway.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Seems weird since TERFs often forget trans men exist I would assume she'd be in favor of free menstrual products because it'd be a social welfare system that wouldn't benefit trans women.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Wimpy was ahead of his time

I'll gladly pay you in monthly installments over the next twenty years for a cheeseburger today.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Skwirl posted:

Seems weird since TERFs often forget trans men exist I would assume she'd be in favor of free menstrual products because it'd be a social welfare system that wouldn't benefit trans women.

The language around period poverty has tended to be fairly inclusive (or at least the bits of I've seen working in education, I cant speak for the whole thing), so the period products are available to "Anyone who needs them" or "People who are menstruating". I dont know for sure, but I suspect thats set of the terf "CANT EVEN SAY WOMAN ANY MORE!!!!!!!!" brainworms to want to blow up the whole thing. They're absolutely willing to hurt poor cis women and girls if it means one less instance of inclusive language. loving monomaniacal spite goblins, every one of the fuckers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SiKboy posted:

The language around period poverty has tended to be fairly inclusive (or at least the bits of I've seen working in education, I cant speak for the whole thing), so the period products are available to "Anyone who needs them" or "People who are menstruating". I dont know for sure, but I suspect thats set of the terf "CANT EVEN SAY WOMAN ANY MORE!!!!!!!!" brainworms to want to blow up the whole thing. They're absolutely willing to hurt poor cis women and girls if it means one less instance of inclusive language. loving monomaniacal spite goblins, every one of the fuckers.

Ahh, that makes sense. How expensive are period products? I know obviously there's a ton of people on the edge of poverty were even a couple extra bucks a month in expenses can gently caress with them, but I realized I genuinely have no concept of what they cost.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Skwirl posted:

Ahh, that makes sense. How expensive are period products? I know obviously there's a ton of people on the edge of poverty were even a couple extra bucks a month in expenses can gently caress with them, but I realized I genuinely have no concept of what they cost.

Honestly, not that expensive AFAIK, like a couple of quid for a pack. But as you say, a couple of quid a month makes a real difference in some cases. The school I work in has a very mixed catchment area, with some well off areas and some extremely deprived areas. Some of these young people literally cannot afford the additional expense of a replacement pencil and rubber, and I mean the word literally here. So the government providing something that will save that family a couple of quid (or means that a kid comes to school rather than stays home for a few days every month)? I'm all for it. And at the end of the day, if they arent expensive to buy in the supermarket then they also arent expensive to supply to schools, especially as the government can buy in bulk.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:confused:

https://twitter.com/RichardHanania/status/1560343302917873665

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Huh, weird. All the people who actually work towards feminist causes support/are trans people. I wonder what this means about my "feminist" friends who do nothing except get mad about trans people. I guess that means that all feminist causes are insidious trans plots and must be destroyed.

Skwirl posted:

They're not super expensive, but when you have no money, you can't afford 10 bucks. it's a necessity and it should be made available to all who need it. Same as with food and housing and medicine.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

skrapp mettle posted:

Man, I was doing genealogy for my family and learned that I was related to some of the founders of Oregon as a state: Luther Elkins proposed a clause be inserted into the constitution that would “prohibit free negroes, or mulattoes coming into or settling in the state.” https://sos.oregon.gov/archives/exhibits/constitution/Pages/during-about-elkins.aspx

He's my third great-grandfather.

My third-great uncle was a fenian. I don't have evidence of his racism like with yours, but everyone I knew from my grandparents' generation in my family was super duper racist so I think it's a safe bet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Most esoteric racism since "I hate when people who look Mongolian speak Spanish!"

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

Huh, weird. All the people who actually work towards feminist causes support/are trans people. I wonder what this means about my "feminist" friends who do nothing except get mad about trans people. I guess that means that all feminist causes are insidious trans plots and must be destroyed.

They're not super expensive, but when you have no money, you can't afford 10 bucks. it's a necessity and it should be made available to all who need it. Same as with food and housing and medicine.

Yeah but also specifically it is a category of products that is necessary for roughly one half of humanity for dignified existence that the other half doesn't need. It's not some edge case.

I mean yeah in a more general sense I would include food, insulin, housing etc as base needs that should be covered by default but I can't believe there's still an argument about this one.

The answer is, of course, patriarchy on this one in particular but it's a reminder that some people also just don't have any understanding what it means to not have any spare money whatsoever, or at the level where you can afford it but just barely and the guy next door doesn't have to worry about that bit.

A feminist dismissing this says a lot about where their priorities and allies lie, imo.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Context: someone on Twitter (who’s since gone private over the backlash) posted a list of “problematic” authors

https://twitter.com/sarahtbd2pointo/status/1560393905643827200?s=21&t=w4Nr1QyB2_yAHVYgYeBCmg

Content:

https://twitter.com/marxgasol/status/1560255666178166786?s=21&t=w4Nr1QyB2_yAHVYgYeBCmg

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Dr. Stab posted:

I wonder what this means about my "feminist" friends who do nothing except get mad about trans people.
So why are you friends with them?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Most esoteric racism since "I hate when people who look Mongolian speak Spanish!"

That I have to see.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Finally someone to take down Shakespeare

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Margaret Sanger getting loving CANCELED. :getin:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What?

https://twitter.com/incelReplies/status/1560105852027248642?s=20&t=MsC1VIg2-8sgXabJ0mA9jg

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

HopperUK posted:

Even better. Supermarkets are going to issue them. Iceland is a chain of frozen-food stores and they're going to be issuing interest-free loans so that people can buy food to eat.
As hard as it is to believe, I am fairly certain Iceland is actually a sovereign country.

Henchman of Santa posted:

https://twitter.com/AnelChin/status/1560398741357592578

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Finally someone to take down Shakespeare

I really don't understand the accusation of misogynoir, because I don't remember there ever being any black women in Shakespeare. Is it because there aren't any black women in Shakespeare?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't actually know anything about Burroughs, so "Murderer" did blow me over for a second.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ellie Crabcakes posted:

So why are you friends with them?

Brain worms. Also probably to grift them. She's made a bunch of money off of her crowdfunding to defend her legal right to harass trans people at work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

gently caress, I keep going back to that "problematic authors" list and it accuses Neil Gaiman of transphobia. I think even he would agree that there were issues with his portrayal of a trans woman in Sandman, but it's also literally the only depiction that existed of a trans woman in mainstream comics at the time.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:dafuq:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

I don't actually know anything about Burroughs, so "Murderer" did blow me over for a second.

He shot his wife in the head trying a William Tell trick with a pistol. He was almost certainly loving high as poo poo on heroin and god knows what else at the time. AFAIK she was a willing participant, so it's manslaughter.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

gently caress, I keep going back to that "problematic authors" list and it accuses Neil Gaiman of transphobia. I think even he would agree that there were issues with his portrayal of a trans woman in Sandman, but it's also literally the only depiction that existed of a trans woman in mainstream comics at the time.

Says he is racist too. I mean the list doesn't offer any examples of it so we just have to take the lists word for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Says he is racist too. I mean the list doesn't offer any examples of it so we just have to take the lists word for it.

He's got some weird race stuff in his earlier work, but like the issues with his writing of a trans woman in 1992 or whenever, it probably comes from being a cis white dude in his 20s making a conscious effort to include cultures and people that weren't him.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Zero_Grade posted:

As hard as it is to believe, I am fairly certain Iceland is actually a sovereign country.

Probably :thejoke: but it's both.

Genuinely surprised Nabokov didn't make the poo poo list, he's usually enemy number one for that crowd.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Skwirl posted:

Coagula was introduced the same year so 🤷🏻‍♀️

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mycelia posted:

Probably :thejoke: but it's both.

Genuinely surprised Nabokov didn't make the poo poo list, he's usually enemy number one for that crowd.

Really? Is it like the people who claim making Goodfellas means Martin Scorsese thinks mobsters are absolutely the coolest people ever who never did anything wrong? "I 100% endorse all of the actions of Humbert Humbert."

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Here is a clearer version of the list

https://twitter.com/nkbzodiac/status/1560410383986327552

At least I can still enjoy Ursula Le Guin

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

I recall seeing one reply that was just ‘can you save us the time and tell us which defense contract you work for’ that made me chuckle

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh god, does anyone know about Virginia Wolf doing blackface and speaking in gibberish to pass as a foreign dignitary? Because holy gently caress that sounds like a hilarious story.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I mean all those are probably totally true too, but something about putting together a hit list of authors - most of whom everybody already knows really suck and also, are dead - is really funny

Nucleic Acids posted:

I recall seeing one reply that was just ‘can you save us the time and tell us which defense contract you work for’ that made me chuckle

Lmao

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Has GRRM actually been accused of anything other than being slow AF and writing gross sex?

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Inceltown posted:

At least I can still enjoy Ursula Le Guin

Colonialist attitudes, cultural appropriation of Chinese Philosophy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GreenMetalSun posted:

Has GRRM actually been accused of anything other than being slow AF and writing gross sex?

He was really lovely about mispronouncing names when he hosted the Hugos. You're hosting it, the nominees are known weeks or months in advance, look at the loving list and maybe ask how to pronounce the names you aren't sure about.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Skwirl posted:

He was really lovely about mispronouncing names when he hosted the Hugos. You're hosting it, the nominees are known weeks or months in advance, look at the loving list and maybe ask how to pronounce the names you aren't sure about.

Welp, that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
A lot of that list smacks of "This author writes about conflict of some kind and their characters have flaws, they are literally Hitler"

"wrote about a kiss in Anne Frank's house" I mean come the gently caress on

1stGear has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Aug 19, 2022