Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Valency posted:

Whelp, instead of music instruments, this month I'm dropping entirely too much money on my first backpacking trip. I have to scrounge around my cook kit for car camping and see what I have that will work before I buy anything for cooking. There are a few more odds and ends I'll still need to pick up too, these were just the big boy things.

I'm also thinking about getting the Garmin inReach Mini 2 for peace of mind. Anyone have any experience with PLBs/GPS devices?
Rent a garmin for your trip, no need to buy and subscribe if you’re not doing lots of big trips.

Were you hiking at Zion? Back country? I’ve been a ton and can give you recs if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

Bottom Liner posted:

Rent a garmin for your trip, no need to buy and subscribe if you’re not doing lots of big trips.

Were you hiking at Zion? Back country? I’ve been a ton and can give you recs if you want.

We've got the top down overnight permit for the narrows already, that was the main one we wanted. The other nights will depend on what permits are available. I'm keeping my eye on the west rim sites, but there are none available right now. The La Verkin Creek trail in Kolob is another tempting option, and that does have permits available currently, so I may just grab one just in case. We've got a couple nights in the lodge as well, so we have time for some of the day hikes. My friend I'm going with hasn't been before, so he wants to hit up main canyon stuff like Angels Landing and Emerald Pools. We're also watching the reservation system for Subway permits (for the hike in and out portion of Left Fork), but I'm not holding my breath there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sounds like a solid plan. You got permits for Angels too? They just started them this year.

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

Not yet, it's a day before lottery, so we'll have to do it when we're there.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Mrs. Burd picked me up a Tidbyt for my birthday earlier this week and it just arrived. It’s a neat little thing and I’m looking forward to using the API to do all sorts of dumb things with it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

There is a backpacking/camping rec thread, just fyi. Y’all should check it out if you’re interested. Mini inreach is good; if you wait for sales you can get it for around $250 (so may make sense to rent it for your first trip to see if it’s something you plan on doing more of and then wait to get it on sale)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817829&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=136

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Valency posted:

I'm also thinking about getting the Garmin inReach Mini 2 for peace of mind. Anyone have any experience with PLBs/GPS devices?

I truly thought nobody would buy the $700 Osprey backpack. That is way too much money for that thing, tbh.

I have an inReach Mini 1 and it's nice to have. As a slightly cheaper alternative:

https://andrewskurka.com/review-zoleo-satellite-communicator-seamless-messaging/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CancerStick posted:

I truly thought nobody would buy the $700 Osprey backpack. That is way too much money for that thing, tbh.

Lmao I had no clue what that was

Aside from the price, 5lbs and 65l is way way too much for 99% of trips.

That’s like buying a formula 1 car to commute and buy groceries with if a formula 1 car was slower than a Prius. I have a custom made sub 1 lb pack that will hold enough to through hike the AT or PCT and it cost $180.

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

I'll report back on how big of a mistake it was lol

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s like buying a formula 1 car to commute and buy groceries with if a formula 1 car was slower than a Prius. I have a custom made sub 1 lb pack that will hold enough to through hike the AT or PCT and it cost $180.

Yea, even if somebody isn't willing or knowledgeable enough to be ultralight you can get an overbuilt load hauler from any of Osprey or Gregory that will carry just fine for $300.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Thank you for making a post that's every bit as annoying as someone buying a $700 backpack

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

mystes posted:

S-O-M-A DE-EZ-NU-TS

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I was sick of my New Yorker tote bag so I bought a vintage Coach bag on eBay

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

CancerStick posted:

I have an inReach Mini 1 and it's nice to have. As a slightly cheaper alternative:

https://andrewskurka.com/review-zoleo-satellite-communicator-seamless-messaging/

:psyduck:

I don't know how much money I've hucked down the gear hole over the years. I did the math one time and instantly regretted doing so. Since then I've been a firm proponent of "Buy Once, Cry Once."

So, I'm not one to say anything is excessive considering my own highly questionable purchasing sprees, but 700$?? Half the cost will get you a far superior pack with stronger, waterproof dyneema materials that weighs less than a third of that pack. That sort of weight savings without sacrificing anything is what people pay the big bucks for in backpacking gear

Light, durable, cheap - pick two. That's the rule for almost all camping gear. With that pack you get durable I guess? Don't get me wrong, Osprey makes fantastic gear, but upgrading from a five pound Osprey Bag to a 1.5 pound Reinforced Dyneema bad is hands down the best upgrade I've ever made in gear.

I'm not saying it's a bad pack for travel in general, just that this is a stark case of "spending more gets you less" for its intended purpose.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Whole lotta shop shaming going in round here. Deserved? Probably, but still.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

mystes posted:

Thank you for making a post that's every bit as annoying as someone buying a $700 backpack

That goon did nothing wrong!

I for one had no idea they made backpacks over $500, Well, if they did, I assumed that they were just plastered with Gucci logos or other tacky poo poo

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Bottom Liner posted:

:iiaca:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KingSlime posted:

That goon did nothing wrong!

I for one had no idea they made backpacks over $500, Well, if they did, I assumed that they were just plastered with Gucci logos or other tacky poo poo

Over 500 is an understatement, it's 700 dollars. Osprey is my favorite brand and I will shill for them all day long but I got my Volt 60, Farpoint 55, Kestrel 48 AND Hikelite 18 for less than that.

poo poo I might have a backpack problem.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I know nothing about hiking / camping so what is the use case for the $700 backpack? Given how many cheaper alternatives people have suggested is it just a high-priced model to sell to people who are willing to pay that much?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Whole lot of shop shaming going on.

Maybe they bought a $700 backpack because they are better than you, ever think of that?

I bought several large latch jars because I love the 3lb coffee bags from Costco.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
At that price and weight I think they just made it for the whales who walk into an REI with an Amex and no previous research.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Plz no doxx

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah definitely the kind of market where if you're discussing or mulling on the price, you are not the target demographic

Not that I can shop shame, I spent $600 on a fancy PS4 for my PS4 games (for some reason it has a 5 etched on it??)

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

Aramek posted:

Maybe they bought a $700 backpack because they are better than you, ever think of that?
:hmmyes:

Picked up some more gear for y'all to pick apart:

I went through all of our car camping stuff and I was a bit disappointed that I don't have much I can re-use backpacking. The only thing I've got in my car camp cooking set that I can really re-use is a titanium pot and spoon. I thought we already had a pocket rocket, but I was wrong, it was some huge top-of-canister burner thing.

Today's haul was:
Air pump
Headlamp
Coffee cup (I could have used one of these from our kit, but now I'll have a nicer insulated coffee cup than the rest of the fam)
3L water bag
Paracord
Pocketrocket
Helinox Zero
A 2 person/4 day first aid kit
Couple new pairs of smartwool ankle socks

I'm going to hold off on the PLB for now, but thanks for the recommendations. I'll revisit those probably next year (planning on a Badlands/Black Hills trip next year in the spring or autumn hopefully). Still need to get a smallish battery pack for the phone/watch/lamp, and maybe an extra bottom layer for the night time lows. I'll have to go over the checklist another time, but I think I'm pretty close to having everything now.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That's a novice table. You clearly need to read the table thread and r/tables more.

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

lol, that table is a brick shithouse that we picked up for 10 bucks at a random church yard sale like 16 years ago. It's as ugly today as it was when we got it, but it has held up to 13 years of abuse from two kids and will probably still be standing after we're all gone

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Valency posted:

I went through all of our car camping stuff and I was a bit disappointed that I don't have much I can re-use backpacking. The only thing I've got in my car camp cooking set that I can really re-use is a titanium pot and spoon. I thought we already had a pocket rocket, but I was wrong, it was some huge top-of-canister burner thing.

Today's haul was:
Air pump
Headlamp
Coffee cup (I could have used one of these from our kit, but now I'll have a nicer insulated coffee cup than the rest of the fam)
3L water bag
Paracord
Pocketrocket
Helinox Zero

I'm going to hold off on the PLB for now, but thanks for the recommendations. I'll revisit those probably next year (planning on a Badlands/Black Hills trip next year in the spring or autumn hopefully). Still need to get a smallish battery pack for the phone/watch/lamp, and maybe an extra bottom layer for the night time lows. I'll have to go over the checklist another time, but I think I'm pretty close to having everything now.

There's nothing wrong with any of that... my previous comment on the bag is that you seem like the sort of person who wants the best gear, which I wholeheartedly applaud. I'm just saying there's nothing that makes that bag especially good, and a lot of things that make it pretty bad for its intended purpose, especially compared to gear at a fraction of the price. It's probably a great bag for general travel, but an actively bad bag for backpacking with how heavy it is and no real distinguishing material or features from Osprey's normal lineup. I just really think you'll be a *lot* happier with a different bag -- you should aim for your base weight to be around 20 pounds, and absolutely no more than 30, especially once you start adding in food and water. A luggage scale is a good investment for seeing how much you're packing.

The Helinox chair is fantastic, I have one and really quite like it! If I could make a recommendation, look at buying some ball feet so it doesn't sink into soft ground. If you're planning to cover a lot of miles, I typically bring a small foam sit pad instead.

A Garmin Inreach allows you to send pre-programmed texts to a contact via satellite uplink with a subscription instead of pulling the emergency rescue flare. Eg "Made it to camp" or "Need help, contact ranger." A PLB will send out Search and Rescue, and if it's not a life threatening emergency they may send you the bill. The Inreach is expensive, but a nice consideration if you're concerned. There may be cheaper or better versions now as well, it's been awhile since I've looked at this. A good map and staying on the trail and looking for cairns or blazes should be plenty good though. A good gps or Alltrails subscription is another thought as well.

The pocketrocket is a great stove, canister stoves are the way to go for most stuff imho.

Black diamond makes excellent headlamps-that's a great buy.

Smartwool socks are fantastic!

Your medical kit - I would unpack its contents before the trip, and familiarize yourself with what is and isn't in there. Only bring what you know how to use. My kit is overkill, but basically contains:

-Liquid Bandage
-Tweezers
-Nail Clippers
-Tick Key
-Wound Irrigation syringe & benzoin adhesive capsule - to clean dirt and debris from an abrasion or scrape
-1-2 Splinter Out
-Benadryl tabs for allergies or sleep aid
-Ibuprofen tabs
-small zinc oxide tube for chafing
-ace wrap for sprains
-Small bit of gauze
-Moleskin patches for blisters
-Aqua Mira Chlorine Dioxide water treatment tabs (for an emergency, eg filter clogs up)

Rx pill vials are awesome to protect your bag from the pointy stuff like clippers and tweezers.

I'm excited for you, you'll have an awesome trip! Zion is one of the most gorgeous places in the whole country

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Aug 20, 2022

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I don’t see hiking poles in your set up (or I missed them); definitely pick up a pair. Cascade mountain makes a good set of telescoping carbon fiber poles w/ cork handles that are great for the price and available on Amazon and would highly recommend. They make both a “three” and “two” set (i.e., either only two moving pieces or three) and I’d recommend the “two” since they are less fuss in my experience.

E. Also, think about getting a LUCI 2.0 lantern; very cheap but works on solar power and you will get a lot of mileage at them around camp

Again, come join the backpacking/camping thread!

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Aug 20, 2022

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'm excited for you, you'll have an awesome trip! Zion is one of the most gorgeous places in the whole country
Yeah, this will be my fourth time there. It's probably my favorite place in the country. I'm excited to get to do some backpacking there this time, doing that has on my list since my first visit when I was like 9.

As for the pack, lol, i was well aware of the extravagance (stupidity?) of it. What sold me was every review I found saying it's in the top tier of comfort and ease of adjustment. I tend to have issues with backpacks that seem unrelated to the amount of weight I'm carrying, so I figured it would be worth a shot, to see if this one -- even though heavier -- will just work for me. And, I do have a bit of mahogany for Osprey too, all their other stuff I own is beyond solid. Like I said before, I'll be happy to report back on if it works out or not. Also, if I can't take some shop shaming over it, I have no business buying it :v:

Thanks for the heads up on the first aid kit. There's nothing on the list that I'm not familiar with from first aid courses, but I would have probably just packed it up without thinking to open it up to make sure.

Also, regarding gps and in reach, I do have a sub to AllTrails and use it all the time for my day hikes. Between that and the topo trail map and compass, I think we'll be ok for this trip.

Brother Tadger posted:

I don’t see hiking poles in your set up (or I missed them); definitely pick up a pair. Cascade mountain makes a good set of telescoping carbon fiber poles w/ cork handles that are great for the price and available on Amazon and would highly recommend. They make both a “three” and “two” set (i.e., either only two moving pieces or three) and I’d recommend the “two” since they are less fuss in my experience.

E. Also, think about getting a LUCI 2.0 lantern; very cheap but works on solar power and you will get a lot of mileage at them around camp

Again, come join the backpacking/camping thread!
I've got a set of black diamond folding poles already, they were seriously one of the best gear purchases I've ever made. Once all the rest of the equipment arrives I'll get some pics of the whole setup and how it packs and post it in the backpacking thread. I've been lurking in there since you mentioned it the first time :cheers:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Nice! Yea, black diamond makes quality gear (that is a little out of my price range ;) )

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

Valency posted:

Today's haul was:
Air pump
Headlamp
3L water bag
Paracord
Pocketrocket
Helinox Zero

I love my Helinox, a fantastic chair that's been worth it's weight.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
$700 for a nice backpack isn't that bad considering I just spent $800 for chunks of metal that will live under my car...

This is the money pit that they'll be going on...

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
look, backpackers don't have a monopoly on spending money haphazardly

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

All of us are bad with our money except me, the good idea haver

(it is not me)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mollymauk posted:

I love my Helinox, a fantastic chair that's been worth it's weight.

I have a Helinox Chair One and it rocks, being able to bring a chair to any kind of outside event along with anything else I'm bringing in a messenger bag felt worth the price in like 2-3 uses

rekko
Jul 24, 2022

〜✧・♡・★〜🌟💗・♥・💗🌟〜★・♡・✧〜
❗スゴイ❗
I'm very good with money, this necklace is super cute and will bring me joy. It would have been basically irresponsible to not buy it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

I have a Helinox Chair One and it rocks, being able to bring a chair to any kind of outside event along with anything else I'm bringing in a messenger bag felt worth the price in like 2-3 uses

I am my own chair.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Buncha friggin money-havers in this thread.

Last big thing I bought was the 12ft. skeleton from Home Depot.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yo that 12 foot skeleton is awesome though.

Also any gear that gets you outside and keeps you alive in the beauty of nature is good. I regret my shop shaming and will work on it in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Speaking of outdoors, I bought a new pair of approach shoes