Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also Tintin was literally anti-Bolshevik propaganda for the Little 20th Century magazine, and the first adventure was where Tintin goes to immediately-post-revolution Moscow and discovers that the wonders of communism are a mere front for "a stinking slum"

http://www.blackkat.net/tintin/pdf/01%20-%20In%20The%20Land%20Of%20The%20Soviets.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
But all of this tends to change after The Blue Lotus, which is where the picture I posted comes from. Herge began paying more attention to the actual cultures of the places Tintin went

I'd also say that the political content is more varied than people might think: the satire on the international arms trade in The Broken Ear, the sympathy for indigenous people driven off their land by the army on behalf of oil companies in Tintin in America. By the time of Tintin and the Picaros in the mid-70s, the famous ending suggests that Tintin hasn't been able to effect meaningful change for normal people at all.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Must have been used in one of Bob Burgers openings.

E: New page, figure out yourself what I'm talking about.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

TLDR

But seriously, that's a really long comic.

Stolkin
Aug 10, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

Chalmix: i thought we were having steamed boar
Skinnix: oh no i said steamed gore

:shrug:

“It’s a regional expression”
“From what region?”
“Eastern Gaul”
“Well, I’m from Lugdunum, and I’ve never heard them called ‘Steamed Gore’”
“No, not Lugdunum, it’s a Vienne expression”.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

The Bananana posted:

I do not like the Hitler Marx brother.

look, Harpo's parents spelled it Adolph and in any case he had it changed in 1911

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Bananana posted:

Is this really frlm 2017? If so, Prescient.

SARS-CoV2 is the seventh human coronavirus. Two of the previous ones are extinct, and the other four cause about 40% of all colds.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

Also Tintin was literally anti-Bolshevik propaganda for the Little 20th Century magazine, and the first adventure was where Tintin goes to immediately-post-revolution Moscow and discovers that the wonders of communism are a mere front for "a stinking slum"

http://www.blackkat.net/tintin/pdf/01%20-%20In%20The%20Land%20Of%20The%20Soviets.pdf

Burn all the discredited Tintins and replace them with Pif et Hercule, the French comic about a dog and a cat published by the Communist Party

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

Burn all the discredited Tintins and replace them with Pif et Hercule, the French comic about a dog and a cat published by the Communist Party

I read these as a child. I think translation were published on last pages of some pulpy detective books along with another comic that I don't remember the name of.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

SARS-CoV2 is the seventh human coronavirus. Two of the previous ones are extinct, and the other four cause about 40% of all colds.

Oo, I thought all colds were coronaviruses - what causes the other 60%?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Amphigory posted:

Oo, I thought all colds were coronaviruses - what causes the other 60%?

It's 10ish% coronaviruses. I don't know where they got 40. The really big one is rhinovirus, with influenza being number 2.

There's a host of others. Most respiratory viruses can present as a cold if your immune system can handle them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Still run into people like this dude cutting my hair a little while ago who was like "this dog medicine from 2015 says it's effective against coronaviruses, you can't tell me this wasn't all planned out"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ikanreed posted:

It's 10ish% coronaviruses. I don't know where they got 40. The really big one is rhinovirus, with influenza being number 2.

JAMA says 30%, but I also see estimates of 10-20% as well. Looks like I was a little high.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Data Graham posted:

Still run into people like this dude cutting my hair a little while ago who was like "this dog medicine from 2015 says it's effective against coronaviruses, you can't tell me this wasn't all planned out"

we are doomed

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Seaniqua posted:

we are doomed

At this point, about the only reason we’re still around as a species is that there have gotta be multiverses, cause no way in hell have we all managed to not go nuke happy or whatever else. We’ve gotta just be the plucky multiverse branch still bumbling along somehow.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

HPanda posted:

At this point, about the only reason we’re still around as a species is that there have gotta be multiverses, cause no way in hell have we all managed to not go nuke happy or whatever else. We’ve gotta just be the plucky multiverse branch still bumbling along somehow.

Got bad new for you about the next century or so..

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Cocaine Bear posted:

Got bad new for you about the next century or so..

Hey, who knows. Maybe one of us figured out the whole global warming thing and can pass that threshold, at least.

Or maybe one of us becomes a subaquatic society and sharks become the new horses. Very, very smooth horses for us to ride.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

We have figured it out a while ago, we just refuse to do the stuff to stop/reverse it. Tack on the upcoming resource and water wars and I don't think One Weird Trick™ will get humanity out of this.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Cocaine Bear posted:

We have figured it out a while ago, we just refuse to do the stuff to stop/reverse it. Tack on the upcoming resource and water wars and I don't think One Weird Trick™ will get humanity out of this.

Oh, absolutely, we’re hosed. I just mean maybe one of our branches somewhere along the way managed to do something about it all.

For us, we can at least laugh about the little things until we burn, like this totally legitimate email from the USPS I got a while back.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

CONDIMENTS!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

mmm dry soup

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Data Graham posted:

That seems like a long bow to draw over one adventure. Were they written as propaganda or where they just written reflecting the authors exposure to propaganda?

How many other adventures were 'anti Bolshevik propaganda?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Rascar Capac posted:

But all of this tends to change after The Blue Lotus, which is where the picture I posted comes from. Herge began paying more attention to the actual cultures of the places Tintin went

I'd also say that the political content is more varied than people might think: the satire on the international arms trade in The Broken Ear, the sympathy for indigenous people driven off their land by the army on behalf of oil companies in Tintin in America. By the time of Tintin and the Picaros in the mid-70s, the famous ending suggests that Tintin hasn't been able to effect meaningful change for normal people at all.

The best Tintin comic (aside from the Moon ones) is Flight 714. Its plot was some 'ancient aliens/chariots of the gods' stuff when that was still a novel idea, plus it features Scut - a caricature of an Estonian pilot, and the recurring villain, a Greek criminal mastermind with a humongous nose named Rastapopolous.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Excuse me?!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

No running in the halls!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

hell yeah

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LOL

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mister Speaker posted:

The best Tintin comic (aside from the Moon ones) is Flight 714. Its plot was some 'ancient aliens/chariots of the gods' stuff when that was still a novel idea, plus it features Scut - a caricature of an Estonian pilot, and the recurring villain, a Greek criminal mastermind with a humongous nose named Rastapopolous.

The Tintin animated series is also an excellent adaptation of the comics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUOrmdmgcqw

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

good technique

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still have no idea what kind of creature it's supposed to be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought it was a banana but then on the side you can see it on all fours so...?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
blow bug

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Have you guys never seen sexy grasshoppers before?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I saw one last weekend in fact and they normally have some sort of marking on them and also giant legs in a quite specific configuration, not just a loving monochrome blob with eyes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I saw one last weekend in fact and they normally have some sort of marking on them and also giant legs, not just a loving monochrome blob with eyes.

You saw a sexy grasshopper?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It did not say "sexy" when I replied :colbert:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

It did not say "sexy" when I replied :colbert:

You were a replying to a statement about 'sexy grasshoppers' though, not ordinary ones. You stated that you had seen one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Aw, it's my favorite mascot, condomy the cock gobbler, teaching us about about safe sex :3: