Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Work has a couple databases with high transaction volume, and I always wanted to put the database redo log on Optane. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You know who doesn’t appreciate being asked about Optane at FMS? Solidigm

You know who really doesn’t appreciate it? Intel

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

WhyteRyce posted:

lol

I have a lot of linkedin connections at FMS now and it sounds pretty cool.

My hunch is Optane's demise is clearing the way for some CXL persistent memory designs, maybe Intel is already working on that. Why struggle with new technologies you have to fab when you can have a controller that juggles DRAM and NAND backup off a supercap?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

i still can't believe they named a real company solidigm, it sounds like one of those randomly generated amazon brands that resells junk from alibaba

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Would it surprise you the same company used the term Datacosm in their keynote

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ooh Samsung announced a cxl based ssd calling it “memory semantic” and estimating 20x improvement in read speed and latency. Neat!

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220803005444/en/

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I went to a different session but apparently at one of the panel sessions on CXL the HW guys said how it’s great and everything just works and its basically like numa and the SW guys were all gently caress you this doesn’t work yet it’s basically like numa

A tale as old as time

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

I went to a different session but apparently at one of the panel sessions on CXL the HW guys said how it’s great and everything just works and its basically like numa and the SW guys were all gently caress you this doesn’t work yet it’s basically like numa

A tale as old as time

Simple, hardware guys blame SW for not implementing drivers yet! :haw:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I need more space. Is there a better option than a Samsung 870 Evo 2TB available currently or in the near future? I'm thinking SATA due to ease of install, and I'm already using my mobos main M2 slot. Vaguely remember something being peculiar about the second slot and I'm not gonna bother looking into it.

Priorities: Lifetime/absence of any fuckery. Performance. Price.This will be mainly for storage and apps/games, not my OS drive.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Crucial MX500 is still being made and it comes up to 4 TB, it's still a good SATA SSD. The SanDisk Ultra 3D is also good and also has a 4 TB option (there's a WD branded version that's otherwise the same, IIRC, the "WD Blue 3D NAND SSD"). Pick the cheapest one of those or another 870 Evo (only worth it if you can get it cheaper, though). There's not much going on with SATA disks because they can't really get any faster, most of the progress is in making them cost less but the cost-down variants have more noticeable drawbacks on SATA than they have on NVMe drives.

For example, if the cheaper price is due to not using a DRAM cache or utilizing QLC flash memory, it's not worth it. DRAM-less over SATA can make your computer temporarly "lock up" and certain use cases will cripple QLC disks to below spinning metal HDD speeds, it's not really worth it to save 5-10$.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PirateBob posted:

I need more space. Is there a better option than a Samsung 870 Evo 2TB available currently or in the near future? I'm thinking SATA due to ease of install, and I'm already using my mobos main M2 slot. Vaguely remember something being peculiar about the second slot and I'm not gonna bother looking into it.

Priorities: Lifetime/absence of any fuckery. Performance. Price.This will be mainly for storage and apps/games, not my OS drive.

Currently, WD Blue and Crucial MX500 are $10 cheaper and basically identical for performance. If you are ok waiting around & setting up an alert, they both go on occasional sales for ~$160 or less.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PirateBob posted:

Often the 2nd m.2 slot is shared with one of the SATA ports, your motherboard manual would specify.

For the SSDs, the samsung being MLC gives it some potential advantages over the cheaper QLC drives from vendors like sandisk, crucial etc.. But realistically a QLC drive is going to serve a relatively light home user just fine as well. SATA isn't going to get any speed improvements any time soon (if ever) as it's a bit of a legacy protocol now as NVMe takes over so no danger of a newer faster drive coming out. Any SATA SSDs drives that come out at this point will just have denser storage on them really.

tl;dr: Samsung is fine, cheaper options exist that would also be almost as fine, but not a ~lot~ cheaper so really there are no bad options imo (except a hybrid hdd or something :haw:)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

For the SSDs, the samsung being MLC gives it some potential advantages over the cheaper QLC drives from vendors like sandisk, crucial etc..

The two drives I linked are both TLC, as is the 870 Evo.

("MLC" is ambiguous: anyone who isn't a marketer uses it to mean 2-bit-per-cell, and the 'multi' is just an artifact of being invented when single was the norm. But drive manufacturers will sometimes say MLC on a TLC drive because 'multi' technically means anything >1.

There are *no* 2-bit-per-cell consumer drives on the market these days, so if you see MLC anywhere that means "look at reviews to see what it really is, then check reddit to make sure they haven't done a switcheroo.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dammit, I'm just used to the samsung pro lines being real 2bit MLC, so they fooled me. But anyway I don't think for launching games and all that TLC, MLC (3bit) or QLC will make any difference to speed or longevity at the time scales a consumer would care about anyway.

I guess they're not even bothering to do an 870 Pro? Doesn't seem very necessary.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They probably (rightly?) assume the market served by the "pro" models has moved on to NVMe a while ago. If you can't stick them onto a mainboard, just use PCI-e cards :getin:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

orcane posted:

They probably (rightly?) assume the market served by the "pro" models has moved on to NVMe a while ago. If you can't stick them onto a mainboard, just use PCI-e cards :getin:

Yep. It seems like SATA SSDs will be in the "pretty quick storage with limited writes and mostly just reads" which Evos handle juuuuuust fine.

Samsung announced a CXL SSD the other day so that is pretty neat from an enterprise view.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Dammit, I'm just used to the samsung pro lines being real 2bit MLC, so they fooled me.

The NVMe Samsung 980 Pro is also TLC. I guess the 970 Pro is still on the market, samsung must still be making them. So at this time that's the only 2-bit MLC consumer drive. When they put out a consumer PCIe 5 drive I think it's safe to say that it will be TLC.

SLC cache works really well for home users. I'm sure MLC will still be available for enterprise where they actually need the write endurance, but nowhere else.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Thanks guys. I'll just go with a 870 evo.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The Crucial MX500 is the SATA drive to buy, seems to have the most advanced features when it comes to power loss.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Criss-cross posted:

The Crucial MX500 is the SATA drive to buy, seems to have the most advanced features when it comes to power loss.

Insofar as it actually features *something* to guard against it - not a backup battery so much as they put extra capacitors on the board that discharge into the NAND and give you a modicum of buffer against data loss. Better than nothing, but a good UPS is still your best bet.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Criss-cross posted:

It really doesn't have any super-special power loss protection beyond what other consumer ssds of similar (good) quality have.

Klyith posted:

Every decent SSD has some amount of power loss capacitors, because if you cut power to the flash chips in the middle of the active write it can mess them up. Not having them would mean power loss could write over other data, or maybe even brick the drive. The MX500 might have an extra thorough number of them or something, but IMO it doesn't do anything particularly special here.

The MX500 does not have the much larger array of capacitors you'll see in enterprise drives, which insure that the drive can finish not just the active write, but all writes the OS may have queued to the drive when the power loss hit. (Visual example: this Micron 5100 with all the little + block caps, versus a MX500. Micron and Crucial are the same company.) Those are what you need to have complete data safety in the event of a power loss, if every bit that's potentially being written is important.

tldr Crucial mentioning "Power Loss Immunity" is mostly bunk, because it's not a true "Power Loss Protection" feature. It's in the advertising fluff but not on the spec list.

Since I wrote that I learned that the MX300 did have power loss protection, as provided by a bank of real capacitors, and that's probably why they invented a new bit of marketing BS to label the MX500 with: to hide that they cut a feature for price reasons.

It's not a strike against the MX500 or anything, it's a fine drive, but IMO between the MC500, WD Blue, & 870 Evo the only determinant is price.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
edit: oops wrong thread

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 8, 2022

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What's the best way to back up your files? I was thinking of getting an external hard drive for it, but I'm guessing RAID 1 would be a better long term solution since I wouldn't have to manually copy stuff. But if the backup drive was external I feel like that would be safer somehow, because something could happen to my tower but not the drive.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

NotNut posted:

What's the best way to back up your files? I was thinking of getting an external hard drive for it, but I'm guessing RAID 1 would be a better long term solution since I wouldn't have to manually copy stuff. But if the backup drive was external I feel like that would be safer somehow, because something could happen to my tower but not the drive.

Raid1 is not a backup. Honestly just rent some cloud service with their own backup software and leave it running on the background.

Alternatively the USB drive or permanent internal backup drive are good options, I recommend getting some backup software like Macrium to do the heavy lifting with these, instead of manually juggling files.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NotNut posted:

Yes, if something happens to your whole PC raid does not help one bit. (Examples: PSU goes boom and fries everything in the box, malware infection that encrypts all your files for ransom.)

here is a backup thread. it doesn't get much posting but it exists.

Options in order of escalating price:
1. External drive, software to do backups manually (<$100)
2. NAS box, software that does backups automatically ($300 and up)
3. Cloud backups ($50 - $70 per year)

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget about file integrity of your backups, it why people love zfs, every sector has a checksum and you can schedule "scrub" jobs that will detect silent data corruption. You don't want to manually search through thousands of pictures to find the corrupt ones.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Samsung announced the NVME 990 Pro. Performances claims show saturates PCIe 4 with improved efficiency, as would probably be expected. Price for the October release is $179.99 for 1TB and $309.99 for the 2TB. The 4TB version is planned for a February release. Looking at Amazon for the 980 Pro MSRPs looks like Samsung made them a little cheaper ($179.99 vs the 980’s $209.99 assuming I made a correct comparison) but we’ll see if that holds. Or hey maybe that will make for some sweet Black Friday Sales on a 980 Pro

https://www.engadget.com/samsung-990-pro-ssd-pcie-4-153004590.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Micro Center is already clearing out 1TB 980 Pros for ~$120 in store, I think.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That %50 better I/O random IOPS sounds tasty af. Im guessing for desktop systems, there will be zero difference though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Micro Center is already clearing out 1TB 980 Pros for ~$120 in store, I think.

2 TB 980s are $229, 1 TB 980s are $119. Good price for good quality. Limit of 2 per customer, though.

Might pick up the 2 TB to use in a TB3 enclosure for fast laptop backups.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Arguably a better option than the 2TB 980 Pro that doesn't require having a Micro Center nearby: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QVD9V7R

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Its so sad we dont have Xpoint drives now. WTF intel.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Arguably a better option than the 2TB 980 Pro that doesn't require having a Micro Center nearby: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QVD9V7R

This is good, but Amazon is also selling the 2 TB P31 Gold for only $198, plus another 15% via coupon which brings it down to about $170 for 2 TB.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

This is good, but Amazon is also selling the 2 TB P31 Gold for only $198, plus another 15% via coupon which brings it down to about $170 for 2 TB.

Just think what it'll be come Black Friday. 2TB for $125?

Kinda hoping for a decent non-QLC 4TB drive (SATA or NVMe, I don't really care which) for $250-300 for the holiday shopping season.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 27, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The P31 was $160 on prime day, and the past few years I think the sales for PC gear have generally been better on prime day than on black friday. (With exceptions, like GPUs will be much better on black friday this year of course.)

Still, a good drive for $170 if you are ok with pcie3.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Kinda hoping for a decent non-QLC 4TB drive (SATA or NVMe, I don't really care which) for $250-300 for the holiday shopping season.

I think you'll be disappointed. 4TB drives are now in the spot 2TB drives were a bit ago, where they're readily available but still charge a premium just for the size.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
~$300 4TB SSDs show up every now and then (still fairly rare).

https://slickdeals.net/f/15953347-4tb-crucial-p3-nvme-pcie-3-0-m-2-internal-ssd-290

Wouldn't be surprised to see some during BF. There were a few SATAs last year.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Few years now since I've had to buy a SSD in a way that I actually have to think about it. Whats the current performance go to?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

codo27 posted:

Few years now since I've had to buy a SSD in a way that I actually have to think about it. Whats the current performance go to?

SN770 in terms of value proposition

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

codo27 posted:

Max performance on the market right now is a SK hynix P41, but that will probably change when the Samsung 990 comes out (and if you have a PCIe 5 mobo to put it in). Also it's a hot drive so not great for laptops.

Palladium posted:

SN770 in terms of value proposition

Yeah for the normal desktop enthusiast it's great. However, the write performance outside of SLC cache is real bad despite being a TLC. Like "barely outpacing some recent QLC drives" bad. So for someone that's writing 100s of GB at a time on the regular, a 980 Pro is probably a good idea since they're on sale now.

VVV edit: a P31 is a PCIe3 drive and is considerably outclassed by everything else talked about here. It's a really good PCIe3, but it's capped on bandwidth. It does have one reason to consider it: it is one of the most power-efficient drives around, so pretty ideal for a laptop. And the current sale helps.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

And, as mentioned upthread, Amazon has decent prices right now on the 2TB SKHynix P31 (be sure to apply the 15% off coupon) and P41, depending on whether you need/want PCIe 3.0 or 4.0.

They pretty consistently outperform the Samsungs but cost less simply on the merits that SKHynix isn't a household name but their poo poo is *everywhere*.