Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Blood sausage is one those things I sometimes get a craving for a little bit of, but which I couldn't possibly eat a lot of.

It's the only thing I miss since going vegetarian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

more falafel please posted:

What makes a Yorkshire pudding a pudding then?

Nothing that I can determine, which is why I said it's kind of difficult to define :v:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Pookah posted:

Nope, black pudding is blood, oats, plus barley if it is good black pudding. It mostly comes in a plastic case, yeah, but that is always removed before cooking. Fresh black pudding from a butchers comes in slices on a tray.
Some black puddings are smooth in texture, some are more rough, but none of them are at all like sausage.
Personally, I prefer white pudding, specifically the ones that are really grainy and have whole barley in them.
Those are super nice.

:thunk:

Black pudding is great, one day I might move to the RoI or UK just to have unlimited access to it and Doner Kebab.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Elviscat posted:

:thunk:

Black pudding is great, one day I might move to the RoI or UK just to have unlimited access to it and Doner Kebab.

Yeah, but the french name "boudin" is the origin of the english word "pudding", however the french is speculated to have come from the latin "botellus" meaning little sausage - so it's just a endless sausage-pudding-sausage circle.

It's a pity making it at home is kind of difficult, since I can't imagine it's easy to get pig's blood at the store.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pookah posted:

endless sausage-pudding-sausage sausage.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
gargle my boudin

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Aug 19, 2022

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Pookah posted:

Yeah, but the french name "boudin" is the origin of the english word "pudding", however the french is speculated to have come from the latin "botellus" meaning little sausage - so it's just a endless sausage-pudding-sausage circle.
Ah, so you're saying all sausages have a common link.

I donut think so Tim.

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Aug 19, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This is just a way to disguise expired meat, isn't it :thunk:

Do it with breakfast sausage patties instead of burgs and I'm there :ninja:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Please say hello to my new son.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

On a fresh cake donut this would probably be better than a Krispy Kreme burg but from frozen? Every texture is going to be a new and exciting type of bad

Clone Farmer
Aug 28, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Please say hello to my new son.

On no what the gently caress was this supposed to be? Are those eyes?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Clone Farmer posted:

On no what the gently caress was this supposed to be? Are those eyes?

It's the original Cookie Monster.
The one Sesame Street tried to convince us didn't exist.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Freaquency posted:

On a fresh cake donut this would probably be better than a Krispy Kreme burg but from frozen? Every texture is going to be a new and exciting type of bad

The donut part will be simultaneously stale, hard and soggy. The burger part will the both way too hot and still frozen in parts. It will smell like hot ketchup, sugar and the weird greasy mostly textured soy protein burger smell from high school cafeterias across the nation.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i think that's walmart house brand, someone should do a trip report. not me, i have a doctor's excuse.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pookah posted:

We don't talk about the original Cookie Monster :ssh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pookah posted:

Yes, choccy cookie cut in half with choccy goop sandwiched in the middle and smarties stuck on top for eyes.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

axolotl farmer posted:

Isn’t pudding also an old fashioned word for dessert in the UK. ’What’s for pudding?’

I went down the pudding hole on my company's US/UK shitposting channel on Slack.

Pudding is derived from the French "boudin" which was a term for a sausage, back when they were primarily cooked by boiling and got mutated into a generic word for a number of dishes made by steaming/boiling. Rice pudding was originally made by boiling rice in milk and adding sugar. Christmas pudding is a dessert still traditionally made by boiling or steaming. Spotted dick is another steamed dessert pudding but I guess its name was already silly enough.

From there it looks like it became a generic word for dessert, probably because this steamed stodge was what most common people had access to.

more falafel please posted:

What makes a Yorkshire pudding a pudding then?

Yorkshire pudding is a variation on an older dish called dripping pudding, which was the same recipe of meat drippings, milk, flour and eggs, but cooked by steaming like the dishes above. One theory about the Yorkshire rebranding is that during the Industrial Revolution, coal-fired cooking became more commonplace among working-class people due to the discovery of coal mines in Yorkshire and other northern England locations. This allowed those folks to use higher temperature cooking, so baking at home became an option over just boiling everything, resulting in Yorkshire puddings becoming a tastier baked version of the flatter dripping puddings.

Clyde Radcliffe has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Aug 19, 2022

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Pookah posted:

It's a pity making it at home is kind of difficult, since I can't imagine it's easy to get pig's blood at the store.

Here (Finland) you can find frozen cow's blood in a lot of supermarkets, probably mostly to make blood pancakes:

Funnily enough I don't think I've ever had homemade blood pancakes anywhere, even though I loved the commercially available ones as a kid:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I went down the pudding hole

lol

Also, thanks!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Europe has many fine sausages outside of Germany. UK and Irish ones are particularly good. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that German sausages are the wurst.

square saus supremacy

https://twitter.com/cocteautriplets/status/1557372968803639296

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wendy's needs to get in on this

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
and i built my meat house of meat bricks and it was strong and tall.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
”sausage without the casing” is some perverted abomination. a sausage has a tubular shape! otherwise it is just a meat lump

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
But sausage in casing is a pudding... Truly sausage is a mystery

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yum

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

That's basically just a different kind of cooking meatloaf

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

von Braun posted:

”sausage without the casing” is some perverted abomination. a sausage has a tubular shape! otherwise it is just a meat lump

In this case "sausage" is a collective noun for the meat, much like "popcorn" or "grits"

This is distinct from "A sausage" which describes one link (or patty)

You'd never say "a popcorn" or "a grit" (unless you are a lunatic)

sausage is just a word with multiple related meanings and uses

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

The Bloop posted:

You'd never say "a popcorn" or "a grit" (unless you are a lunatic)

I'd like to know how you refer to a singular popcorn.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

popkernal

more general though corn used to refer to basically any grain, so "a corn" would be roughly analogous to "a grain" I think.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

OwlFancier posted:

corn used to refer to basically any grain, so "a corn" would be roughly analogous to "a grain" I think.

Not just grain - gunpowder can be corned, for instance: https://pyrodata.com/definitions/Black-Powder-Corned

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nowadays we would generally call the process "granulation" which obviously derives from grain, so yes the two are very linked.

Sadly corned gunpowder is not the same as corned beef (UK or other)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"One piece of popcorn"

Or one kernel, but that usually refers to unpopped

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A popped corn

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

A popped corn

This sounds like a podiatry issue

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

OwlFancier posted:

popkernal

more general though corn used to refer to basically any grain, so "a corn" would be roughly analogous to "a grain" I think.

What? "a corn" is a type of squash.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shooting Blanks posted:

What? "a corn" is a type of squash.

You butternut start this in here

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This is spaghetting out of hand!

Adbot