Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I'm envisioning the eu mentats thinking that keeping the Russian gauge is equivalent of being kept into the Russian sphere of influence, leading to Finland having to rip the tracks out on the threat of no more development funds. It's likely going to be a situation where all the tracks are on eu gauge beside a few interconnections on the Russian border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

SlowBloke posted:

I'm envisioning the eu mentats thinking that keeping the Russian gauge is equivalent of being kept into the Russian sphere of influence, leading to Finland having to rip the tracks out on the threat of no more development funds. It's likely going to be a situation where all the tracks are on eu gauge beside a few interconnections on the Russian border.

Nah. This is very clearly about the circled part of the Trans-European Transport Network.

It just happened to be so vaguely worded the Finnish media pounced on the opportunity to pander to a persecution complex that rivals the British.

Truth is, neither Brussels nor Moscow gives much thought to Finland.
:finland:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Nah. This is very clearly about the circled part of the Trans-European Transport Network.

It just happened to be so vaguely worded the Finnish media pounced on the opportunity to pander to a persecution complex that rivals the British.

Truth is, neither Brussels nor Moscow gives much thought to Finland.
:finland:

Brussels to Kolari train route sounds pretty cool though

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Apart from track gauge, aren’t there like 5 different electrification standards to unify or else you’d have to use trains which are compatible with all of them?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Apart from track gauge, aren’t there like 5 different electrification standards to unify or else you’d have to use trains which are compatible with all of them?

Your average Hitachi(AnsaldoBreda :italy:) or Siemens train can handle various voltages easily, which is why it can run cross country. It's a solved problem.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
^^
or that :v:

Anne Frank Funk posted:

We will be using a perpetual machine to power the engine on the circumnavigational rail route :techno:

Or you could just use a diesel engine to move the train from one grid to another, then connect again to a local locomotive? There are also electro-diesel locomotives that can use either electricity from overhead wires or use their diesel generator to make the power. I have travelled quite a bit on routes that are partly non-electrified so part of the way they go on diesel but then connect the cars to an electric engine.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just as an add-on

https://youtu.be/Fk9KpZZ4hcQ?t=375

As you can see switching from one standard to the other is a selector switch, which handles power and signaling types.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Unrelated to anything, but I read Wladimir Kaminer's Militärmusik. It's a very funny autobiographic novel about the USSR in the 80's. Features indie concerts in Moscow, evading KGB, illegal druggie/new age camps in Latvia, taking cattle by train to Uzbekistan, serving military in an AA unit near Moscow at the time Mathias Rust flew a Cessna to Red Square... Heartily recommended to goons ITT.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Some of us want nothing to do with those times, OP

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

That's an understandable but at the same time unhelpful comment.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, sorry, was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but EE is not a tongue-in-cheek kinda place.

I personally have zero need to revisit pre-89 reality, as it’s mostly toys in smuggled catalogues we’d never have or American candy that would come in a packet every two years from family abroad (and t-shirts). After ‘89 life kept getting better (for me) with every decade.

My dad born in ‘53 was all over the nostalgia thing though, he’d frequent the places that would do the faux-60s communist reality that never existed.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Mokotow posted:

My dad born in ‘53 was all over the nostalgia thing though, he’d frequent the places that would do the faux-60s communist reality that never existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehv43wUFq4c

(satire)

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Mokotow posted:

Yeah, sorry, was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but EE is not a tongue-in-cheek kinda place.

I personally have zero need to revisit pre-89 reality, as it’s mostly toys in smuggled catalogues we’d never have or American candy that would come in a packet every two years from family abroad (and t-shirts). After ‘89 life kept getting better (for me) with every decade.

Yeah, I think I understand. For me it's the 90's. Someone recently recommended a Serbian movie to me saying that it portrayed the 90's perfectly. I was like, that's a great argument for me not to watch it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Doctor Malaver posted:

Yeah, I think I understand. For me it's the 90's. Someone recently recommended a Serbian movie to me saying that it portrayed the 90's perfectly. I was like, that's a great argument for me not to watch it.

A Serbian movie or A Serbian Movie? Right decision regardless, most likely.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

A Serbian movie or A Serbian Movie? Right decision regardless, most likely.

If it's the latter then the Balkans in the 90s were somehow even shittier than what I knew.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

A Serbian Film is a monstrosity I didn't watch but generally speaking Serbia has pretty good cinema. Probably the best in the region. The movie that was recommended to me is Celts (2021) and I'm told that it's very good, regardless of my initial reaction to the time it's set in.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Rick and Morty go to Serbia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJDP3Nv0enA

e: the basketball joke in the video above reminds me of this EE moment, in case it wasn't posted here back then. Jokic accepts the NBA MVP award in front of his horse stable to the soundtrack of accordion/tamburasi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sxatFyZzh4

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 12, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Anti-putin poo poo on every street corner in Warsaw is awesome. There’s a Putin in drag stencil I keep seeing and forgetting to photograph.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 16, 2022

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
https://www.nordpoolgroup.com/en/Market-data1/Dayahead/Area-Prices/EE/Hourly/?view=table

4k EUR per MW/h. And Finns might think they have it bad, that Sweden is screwing them. Time to start up the oil shale plants again, I guess?
Not helped by the fact that Estonia hasn't added any wind turbine capacity since 2013 (those can't definitely be in anyone's backyard nor in anyone's sight) and that people running solar panels can't send their production to the grid. For whatever reason that is.

edit: apparently the profits of the state-owned energy company are up by 3468% compared to the same period last year. Thanks, free market.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 17, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

jonnypeh posted:

4k EUR per MW/h

:eyepoop:

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

jonnypeh posted:

https://www.nordpoolgroup.com/en/Market-data1/Dayahead/Area-Prices/EE/Hourly/?view=table

4k EUR per MW/h. And Finns might think they have it bad, that Sweden is screwing them. Time to start up the oil shale plants again, I guess?
Not helped by the fact that Estonia hasn't added any wind turbine capacity since 2013 (those can't definitely be in anyone's backyard nor in anyone's sight) and that people running solar panels can't send their production to the grid. For whatever reason that is.

edit: apparently the profits of the state-owned energy company are up by 3468% compared to the same period last year. Thanks, free market.
Those are spot prices though, they're only relevant if you need to balance a power grid. As I understand it, most electricity is sold on the futures market, which seems to be trading at 300€/MWh for Q4.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I think there’s a new flock of “dynamic pricing” electricity plans, here in Latvia at least, where you are paying spot pricing. At least Latvian Twitter had this figure for a big deal, with plenty of people sharing how they’re unplugging everything for the hour.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol didn't Texas have this and lots of people got hosed over when prices went through the roof during the freeze? Doesn't seem like a very good idea under current conditions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol didn't Texas have this and lots of people got hosed over when prices went through the roof during the freeze? Doesn't seem like a very good idea under current conditions.

You’re right. These plans are maybe a few years old, I want to say? No one in my family is a house owner, so I’ve only known of normal centralised electrical supply, and other Latvians here may know better. Either way, some people appear to absolutely be discovering the free market at the moment.

Edit: https://www.elektroenergija.lv/?kwh=400

Oh yes, there’s an absolute pile of them trading at the exact market exchange (birža) price lmao. I’m not fully sure if this is average or spot pricing specifically, or some split between the two amongst plans, but there absolutely were people paying €4/kWh for that hour yesterday. The prices you see on that page are before VAT, and certain local fees (one of them has been recently cancelled, at least).

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 19, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I am currently on an at the time expensive plan (to avoid dynamic pricing loving us with daytime aircon expenses) that locked the pricing for five years and it's currently equivalent as the government fixed prices. Once the price lock goes away i'm going to be dragged thru coals with a devastating price hike.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

I am currently on an at the time expensive plan (to avoid dynamic pricing loving us with daytime aircon expenses) that locked the pricing for five years and it's currently equivalent as the government fixed prices. Once the price lock goes away i'm going to be dragged thru coals with a devastating price hike.

The utility services management company responsible for my building did “upgrade” their “billing system” in February 2022, and have since then had “technical difficulties” preventing them from issuing utilities bills for tenants.

:thunk:

I wonder what sort of accounting magic is being deployed there to stall for government relief on what I assume is energy costs that have bled them absolutely dry. I suspect that apartment owners have electricity contracts with the manager at a fixed rate, which got opportunistically calculated on the basis of spot market prices, which would have obviously gone into the red, since February.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I got the annual balance for electricity less than two weeks ago, apparently my monthly rates are going to be lowered by about 30% and they'll be refunding me about three months' worth of bills. :pwn: Definitely didn't expect that, though it's true I've been very diligent about not wasting energy lately.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

We took an electricity contract at a locked price around 0,10€/kWh some time ago that'll last until the end of the year. No energy company will sell such contracts anymore in Finland, it's all direct market pricing for new customers. The winter will gently caress the folks who heat their houses with electricity hard, people are looking at triple to quadruple the "normal" cost for winter heating. Electricity has been super cheap in Finland until now, so I guess it's just gonna be like this for a while at least until the new nuclear plant in Olkiluoto comes online and the markets adjust.

The price of heating oil has also almost doubled so, uh, us oil heaters are getting reamed as well, but at least our house is small and relatively efficient, so we'll manage. We've been meaning to set up a heat pump but it's impossible to find free installers at the moment, everyone's schedule is full up until next year, it seems.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Oh it's even funnier here, historically all the utilities were local government owned, buying core power and gas centrally, which have been all privatized but with a government imposed maximum prices. Utilities owners cried for years about being treated unfairly and the government finally decided to kill the central price fix a few years back and then flip flopped about for i think a solid five years(it's still in flux), so you could go central fixed prices(which could disappear whenever edit: on 2024-01-10), you could go market prices with whatever price the utilities will throw at you and market prices with long term price fixing(and gently caress you in the rear end penalties if you jump ship before the end of terms). The third option vanished on most utilities in march 2022, nobody knows why.....

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 19, 2022

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

barbecue at the folks posted:

The winter will gently caress the folks who heat their houses with electricity hard, people are looking at triple to quadruple the "normal" cost for winter heating.

Unsurprisingly some people also do that here in Estonia, but that's even worse if the apartment building isn't renovated.
Soviet apartment buildings retain 5 to 8 times less heat than modern ones. It can be difficult to convince old age pensioners to pay more per month for renovations (also because they're generally poor). We only managed to do one side of the building this summer. But at least each end was done years ago.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, the difference can be baffling. I grew up in a well-built Soviet building, so called Stalin-series (70s construction, all brick), and even there and in a flat with insulation renovated in early noughts, we would still crank heaters and whatnot every winter. My current flat is in a building that is less than 5 years old, and in early December (right before the heating season begins) the indoor temperature is around +24 without me running an oil heater or some such separately from the centralised heating.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
This makes me remember spending a bunch of time as a kid sticking on paper strips with soap to window edges to make them leak less heat in prep for winter... and this was Odesa, which hardly ever gets below 0.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

This makes me remember spending a bunch of time as a kid sticking on paper strips with soap to window edges to make them leak less heat in prep for winter... and this was Odesa, which hardly ever gets below 0.

We did the same, rolled newspapers and duct tape. Every winter until we got into a place with “plastic” windows.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure we had special tape that was made specifically to seal the leaky as poo poo windows. Without it you could just feel freezing air streaming through the gaps :allears:

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm pretty sure we had special tape that was made specifically to seal the leaky as poo poo windows. Without it you could just feel freezing air streaming through the gaps :allears:
Window tape is still a thing, but here up north it's only regularly used on windows that are so old they don't have hinges.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Window tape is still a thing, but here up north it's only regularly used on windows that are so old they don't have hinges.

The dual sided adhesive sponge variant is also the sole way to restore old cassettes, which leads to "that guy is stocking meters of sponge cause he has a lovely castle or just an audiophile?" moments when going to the hardware store

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mobby_6kl posted:

yes but after the freeze our state government, in a rare moment of good sense, made it illegal to allow residential customers to buy electricity on the wholesale market.

They still sell variable rate plans but people are somewhat insulated from getting turbofucked, I don't think anyone had to declare bankruptcy during a heat wave this year when temperatures were above 38C for days on end. Do not live in Texas is my advice, bad place.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I don’t remember sealing windows, because in coal rich Poland we’d just overcome heat loss by heating every apartment to 36.000 C. Apparently people in the Netherlands and UK are renting apartments to Poles are surprised by our winter habit of heating the apartment to a zillion and walking around in underwear. :iiam:

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Thats just heating the apartment block in the traditional soviet infrastructure style. People on the first floor have to keep their windows open and walk around in underwear in the winter time, whereas the people living in the top floor have to wear their winter coats inside all the time and cant leave a cup of water out overnight, because it would be frozen by the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Post/username combo