Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Leak:

Baird, Argivian Recruiter
{R}{W}
Legendary Creature — Human Soldier
2/2
At the beginning of your end step, if you control a
creature with power greater than its base power, create a
1/1 white Soldier creature token

Karnstructs off Saga? Any Modular creatures? Thats a token!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ctrl+F dreadnought aaannnd......

Set's a loving bust.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Hordemaster from the leak seems very good, sort of unfortunate all the good goblins are rotating though. It's also asking for a lot more during deck construction than just jamming in 4x battle cry goblins into any mono red deck.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The best note is

quote:

XLVIII is forty-eight

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

New Karn kinda sucks

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Aphrodite posted:

The best note is

Actually it's right above that

In most cases where the value of X isn’t defined in the text of a card, its controller chooses the value of X.
However, the X in King Darien’s name is always 10.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Cut Down seems interesting, 1 CMC removal spells are cool. Probably just worse than Push in formats with fetches but worth considering in formats without? Probably just Standard.

fadam fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 19, 2022

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

He's called an oneiromancer cause you have to be asleep to believe in him

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Can we please stop using spoiler tags, we literally post images of leaked cards in here all the time, if you are seriously upset at seeing a spoiler for a card coming out in like one month there is something wrong with you and it just makes the thread annoying to read.

The green Phyrexian mana card seems really good I think. +1/+1 on all creatures and getting Phyrexian mana for all your green cards attached to a 6/6? Sign me up.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

GonSmithe posted:

Can we please stop using spoiler tags, we literally post images of leaked cards in here all the time, if you are seriously upset at seeing a spoiler for a card coming out in like one month there is something wrong with you and it just makes the thread annoying to read.

The green Phyrexian mana card seems really good I think. +1/+1 on all creatures and getting Phyrexian mana for all your green cards attached to a 6/6? Sign me up.

I want it to be good. I'll force it in a modern deck at some point

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

New Karn kinda sucks

Seems like it does but these cards that create artifacts and draw cards always end up better than you expect. The +1 can pay for the minus but it’s so slow.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

ilmucche posted:

I want it to be good. I'll force it in a modern deck at some point

It's gonna be nuts with the new elf lord that draws you a card when you play an elf

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The new Ertai and his counterspell are very good. Good enough for which formats though I'm not sure.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

HootTheOwl posted:

Ctrl+F dreadnought aaannnd......

Set's a loving bust.

Remember the document does not contain the entire set, only cards which they think merit further explanation. Interestingly enough, the "Lotus" card Maro teased is not one of them.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

New elf lord seems solid. Anthem and card draw for 2 mana value?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There's a new legendary merfolk that lets you play merfolk off the top of your deck and generate merfolk tokens...

In commander :(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ilmucche posted:

I don't know if it's good but I want to try and make it work

It's bad.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There's a new legendary merfolk that lets you play merfolk off the top of your deck and generate merfolk tokens...

In commander :(

Now that you're off Modern fish you can play legacy fish.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ilmucche posted:

They're loving these cost reduction mechanics eh?

This will see play in standard. Maybe pioneer and explore too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Now that you're off Modern fish you can play legacy fish.

True but I only have 2 FoW's and 1 Cavern.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

We have murktide regent at home

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

mcmagic posted:

It's bad.

That's never stopped me from playing a card before

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Flying Vs Ward and good in multiples?

I feel like I've had this conversation before...

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

By my count there's (at least) four white enchantments that exile something on ETB. I know that's a thing white does, but four seems a bit excessive?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I know brawl is an unpopular format and what I'm doing is basically only done by freaks like me (brawl but all the cards are from one set). But I need a little deckbuilding help. I bought a booster box of 2018 dominaria when it came out and now I'm slapping together 5 60-card singleton decks with 2-color commanders with what I have. I did this with innistrad and we've learned something major - even after reading a bunch, I don't know how to build decks!

As a baseline I run 24 lands, 20-24 creatures, and the rest spells. But I am having trouble with curve and balance. Every resource I google can't wait to tell me to adjust my ratio of removal, card draw, etc based on the specific cards in my deck, but I don't know what the baseline for those ratios look like! Before I can even get to running more or less card draw, I need to know how much card draw an average deck wants to have, absent any specific adjustments. Am I just stupid? (Yes)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ilmucche posted:

That's never stopped me from playing a card before

6/6 trample for 5 with no ETB is basically uncommon power level in 2022 lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not in Pioneer and Standard you don't.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HootTheOwl posted:

Flying Vs Ward and good in multiples?

I feel like I've had this conversation before...

This one is Standard-legal. Sailors' Bane isn't. That's an entirely different conversation.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Need me this Lord of Atlantis

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

New karn me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The card I was most anticipating was whether there would be a new good UR Wizard for my historic deck.

Kinda anticlimactic to just page through that document for it but I liked what I saw

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

mcmagic posted:

yeah creatures have gotten really hosed up

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

mcmagic posted:

It's not exactly an ETB, but there's a bunch of elves that cost G, or 1G that you could probably play on the same turn as that and buff your board, since you can just pay a bunch of life.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Pretty amusing the last time I remember this happening was also a Phyrexian heavy set.

Also, zzzz at reading a word doc of cards. I couldn't even be bothered to do it. I'll just be surprised on spoiler day or let you all tell me if something insane pops up.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

Pretty amusing the last time I remember this happening was also a Phyrexian heavy set.

Also, zzzz at reading a word doc of cards. I couldn't even be bothered to do it. I'll just be surprised on spoiler day or let you all tell me if something insane pops up.

I read through it but my eyes definitely glazed over with all that text, so I'm not going to remember everything.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Defiler of Vigor is a 6/6 for 5 that then asks you to play other cards in order to get the benefit, when it should be the benefit to the other cards you've already played. Compare to Avabruck Caretaker or Elder Gargaroth, who can wrap things up on their own and don't ask you to do much more to get value out of them.

The other way to look at the Defiler cycle is as combo enablers because not paying mana is always a bad sign; Defiler of Dreams might cause some nasty stuff by making things that didn't cost mana cantrip into other things that won't cost mana to cantrip. Shrieking Drake bounces itself so it's 2 life: draw a card! Probably not viable in anything but very funny to me.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I keep hearing about this new Karn, anyone have it?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

It's in the leaked document posted upthread.

Also, it sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HootTheOwl posted:

Karn, Living Legacy
{4}
Legendary Planeswalker — Karn
+1: Create a tapped Powerstone token. (It’s an artifact
with “{T}: Add {C}. This mana can’t be spent to cast a
nonartifact spell.”)
−1: Pay any amount of mana. Look at that many cards
from the top of your library, then put one of those cards
into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library
in a random order.
−7: You get an emblem with “Tap an untapped artifact
you control: This emblem deals 1 damage to any target.”