Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought the interview got better as time went on and they warmed up to the subject matter, especially after that call with the weird horny on main lady.

I feel like I should warn everyone that the Chapos aren't on until like 95 minutes in

yeah it's pretty good, i just got to that lady

fair warning if you skip to the chapo boys you will miss a pretty funny jon wurster call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Xaris posted:

Fall of Civilization podcast is real good and each episode is like 4 hours. though they only have like 12. https://fallofcivilizationspodcast.com/

Another great history podcast that is more academic than, say, Mike Duncan's work and more entertaining too is Tides of History by Patrick Wyman. He was on Chapo's 540th episode if you want a preview.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I've been going through a lot of old ToH, especially the episodes about daily life in the Middle Ages. It sucks that the ads are pure neolibgeohell, but whatever.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

crepeface posted:

Australian guys talking about military poo poo? I am very wary

they might have typical horrible australian beliefs but i havent really heard anything like that from the episodes ive listened to. also i found them via the radio war nerd facebook group so i figure they cant be too bad. maybe not!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

i say swears online posted:

this person has posted something similar once a week or so for the past two or three years lol

man if you're going to be in any kind of online leftist space you're going to see a lot of "help a struggling non-binary artist pay her vet bill!" posts. Get over it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

what’s the deal with this Brett guy and is street fight worth getting into if you’ve never listened? like are the old episodes any good or are they dated or what.

It's the Joe Rogan of leftist podcasts. Like 8 hours of meandering content a week, apparently they're now shilling for scams or something.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

I for the longest time liked to listen to the SF basement shows, and I just drop shows for a bit. They’re occasionally groan worthy with some of the stuff they’d say but seemed like normal people which was the main appeal for me. Also the selling Kratom thing seemed stupid, but was kind of a funny hustle to me. I would listen to the call in shows a few times here and there, but they didn’t really feel like they were for me.

The new episode is just so weird because it doesnt even seem like Brett should be back from the hospital much less on a podcast. That said the place he got sent sounded worse so I’m glad he’s out.

i bought kratom from them once lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i bought kratom from them once lol

well, how did it go?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Yadoppsi posted:

Another great history podcast that is more academic than, say, Mike Duncan's work and more entertaining too is Tides of History by Patrick Wyman. He was on Chapo's 540th episode if you want a preview.

Patrick Wyman's book was written exactly like his podcast scripts

I guess listen to the audiobook of The Verge if you like his style and run out of pods

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Wyman's range is pretty amazing. Soon he'll have covered pretty much any time period on earth there's been humans around up until the industrial revolution.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Yadoppsi posted:

okay cool i'll add it to podurama and give it a try next drive

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Xaris posted:

okay cool i'll add it to podurama and give it a try next drive

His pre-Tides of History podcast was "Fall of Rome" and they're done in the same style. Tides of history's first episodes pick up where Fall of Rome left off.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

well, how did it go?

i zoned out and played bloodborne for a while. second time around it made me pretty sick to my stomach. 2/10 would not do again.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I listened to street fight pretty regularly up until they started bringing kratom up in every single conversation, I think I ducked out before they started directly selling it though

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Was the Bitchnikov Mentholated Vodka or whatever it was called actually a real product?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Was the Bitchnikov Mentholated Vodka or whatever it was called actually a real product?

ivanabitch, and yeah it's super real

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I wonder which Games poster this is

lolol

:hai:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Hello Gum Shoes—

you may have noticed in past couple weeks our schedules a little wonky this month/less consistent than usual. While the gas lighter in me wants to say it’s a vague excuse like “someone got 5150’d but we won’t say who” or “saw large bird got scared”, the real reason is because we’ve called it quits as a podcast.

Just playing. In reality we’re working on (and have been working on for some months) a giant project for the podcast that is unlike anything that we—and I think maybe anybody else—has done. That sounds so lame written out but I’m pretty sure it’s an actual fact. I don’t want to jinx it* or start rumors so can’t say more but all that is to say that don’t trip we’re going bonkers in putting it together. Anyways baby usually right now we’d be putting out a new episode but we had to muscle down on a particularly psychotic part of what we’re up to. Schedules will return to normal basically by next week and you should still get the regular number of patreon eps this month I think. Just wanted to be as transparent as possible while still being opaque cause don’t wanna ruin the surprise

I love you :)

Brace Liz YC

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
it's a polycule

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

and always volunteer to sweep the parking lot because it's better than dealing with customers.

any single thing you can do to avoid dealing with customers is the best work you can do

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Victory Position posted:

any single thing you can do to avoid dealing with customers is the best work you can do

facts lol. I got conscripted to mop diarrhea off the floors and walls of the bathroom back in my grocery store days and I remember thinking “drat this sucks but at least I’m off the front for a bit”

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Yadoppsi posted:

Patrick Wyman is cool and good, especially in those rare times when he's allowed to go off-script.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/YuriNator01/status/1560794646170722304?t=7B6bSAj-Y8HjbftXFrO9WA&s=19

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lmao yep

I just remember the cards and thought it was the dumbest poo poo

yugioh owns because it’s literally a dude making up a fake magic the gathering and being forced to make it an actual game once it became massively popular. The first yugioh games were weird as gently caress because they were based on a game that didn’t actually exist.

to make a liberal analogy it’s the equivalent of Harry Potter becoming entirely about Quidditch after it was introduced

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

DrManiac posted:

yugioh owns because it’s literally a dude making up a fake magic the gathering and being forced to make it an actual game once it became massively popular. The first yugioh games were weird as gently caress because they were based on a game that didn’t actually exist.

to make a liberal analogy it’s the equivalent of Harry Potter becoming entirely about Quidditch after it was introduced

As a long-time Magic player, YGO cards have always looked like parodies of Magic or other TCGs so this checks out. But apparently there is enough of a competitive scene for people to complain about how Konami is mis-managing the game!

C-Euro has issued a correction as of 14:45 on Aug 20, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
On a purely aesthetic level Yu-Gi-Oh cards blow Magic and Pokemon cards out of the water

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yu-Gi-Oh had a card called Pot of Greed that just let you draw 2 cards. It was the most powerful thing in the universe. That children's card game taught me about card advantage and relative power levels.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

The continued popularity of Jordan Peterson is proof of an incurably diseased society. To hold him up as an archetype to follow is legitimately as symptomatic of terminal decline as mass cannibalism and infanticide- we’re just pointing at Greek statues while we do it.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Like seriously what a loving baby

“he’s teaching us how to be men!!” :qq:

Glass this earth already

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

stupid zapata hat only comes in kakhi

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

stupid zapata hat only comes in kakhi

I’m afraid to wear it because I’m habitually greasy and disgusting, like I’m gonna get rib sauce on it just adjusting it on my head

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

C-Euro posted:

As a long-time Magic player, YGO cards have always looked like parodies of Magic or other TCGs so this checks out. But apparently there is enough of a competitive scene for people to complain about how Konami is mis-managing the game!

The american distributor for you gi oh in the mid 00s lost the deal because they hired a Chinese company to make a load of counterfeits that were so poor quality they were immediately noticed

I've also heard from multiple game store owners that you go on is the only game they have to hire security for because of how frequent fights are

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

MikeCrotch posted:

The american distributor for you gi oh in the mid 00s lost the deal because they hired a Chinese company to make a load of counterfeits that were so poor quality they were immediately noticed

I've also heard from multiple game store owners that you go on is the only game they have to hire security for because of how frequent fights are

There was a story a long time ago about some guy threatening people in the bathroom with a sledgehammer (I think) and stealing their backpacks at a YGO tournament.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
hell yea that guy rules

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what I always remember is going to a magic tournament like a decade ago and the store hosting a Yu-Gi-Oh tournament at the same time and there being an immediate difference in age ranges for the two games

magic was older teens through younger 40s

ygo was everything outside of that, younger teens and guys in their fifties

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

going to yugioh tournaments as a child was epic

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Futanari Damacy posted:

The continued popularity of Jordan Peterson is proof of an incurably diseased society. To hold him up as an archetype to follow is legitimately as symptomatic of terminal decline as mass cannibalism and infanticide- we’re just pointing at Greek statues while we do it.

Virgil Texas joked about this in the Musk Tabletop Gaming session but Peterson would be far more preferable if he was just reviving the Mythopoetic Men’s Movement thing of driving dudes up to the woods to yell and do drum circles

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384313901622

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

don't post your own ebay listings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...