Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

Didn’t they dump hot tar on to s bunch of people in the opening of the movie? They def kill people lol or maim them badly

You don't see it hit them. It could have missed them. (It was always implied violence before, except against the main villains, like Debbie in the sequel, who the baby straight up murdered.)

Whatever, the piranha joke was the only laugh the trailer got out of me, even if I admit it was a shocked laugh. So I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah the piranha bit was great, trailer is all downhill from "Tim Burton" on. still probably be okay enough though. Luis is an... interesting choice for Gomez, but i like him a lot, so i'll give it a shot

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Guzman is an interesting choice, but I would prefer someone who could more naturally channel that Groucho Marx quality like John Astin. Guzman has a much stiffer comedic style.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I love Guzman but he feels a little too, and I’m not trying to be mean, gross for it. Might be in keeping with the comics but after Raul Julia I see Gomez as a much smoother, suave kind of weirdo.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
On the other hand, no one is gonna out-suave Julia so you might as well go a different direction

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m here to support Guzman.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Thaddius the Large posted:

I love Guzman but he feels a little too, and I’m not trying to be mean, gross for it. Might be in keeping with the comics but after Raul Julia I see Gomez as a much smoother, suave kind of weirdo.

What would say makes the actor gross? Like, is it a physical appearance thing, some sort of energy you feel the actor brings to the role, or something else I'm not thinking of?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Guzman rules but he does get cast as sleazy types a lot, I guess.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
There's an extremely funny rumour going around twitter that they've got Depp playing Fester, but are sitting on the reveal because of uuuuuuh recent events

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Open Source Idiom posted:

What would say makes the actor gross? Like, is it a physical appearance thing, some sort of energy you feel the actor brings to the role, or something else I'm not thinking of?

Its this OP.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cage posted:

Its this OP.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Cage posted:

Its this OP.

that bobby peru energy

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I know this is the perfect counter argument, but most people didn't experience the Addams Family through the comics first (or at all), they experienced them through the movies (or the show, but probably the movies). To most people, Raul Julia IS Gomez, so some hesitation is understandable, and should be expected. That being said, the two cartoon movies that came out recently (yes, two) had Gomez looking more like the comic version, so maybe some kids will now know him more like this?

I love Guzman in basically everything I've ever seen him in, but this definitely feels against type for him, so I'm curious how he plays it. He's also not the lead, though, so no matter what happens, it's not a huge deal.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s just a different take. Nothin wrong with that. When a take is so good (Julia) it’s better to go the other way imo

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
His teeth are gross I dont care if his head shape is like the comic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you haven't seen it go check out Waiting with Ryan Reynolds. It's a loving classic - hilarious start to finish. Guzman knocks it out whenever he is on screen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cage posted:

His teeth are gross I dont care if his head shape is like the comic.

Gomez is a ghoul man

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Why are you all acting like Luis Guzman isn’t always the bright spot in everything he’s in?

Or that he and CZJ are in more than the first episode before Wednesday is swept away to a Home for Peculiar Children for the rest of the series?

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 19, 2022

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Luis Guzman is a great pick for Gomez but they have to let him do his "I am the ultimate Latin Lover" speech from Boogie Nights.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

thrawn527 posted:

I know this is the perfect counter argument, but most people didn't experience the Addams Family through the comics first (or at all), they experienced them through the movies (or the show, but probably the movies).

The Adams Family has definitely drifted from its original conception. See also Wednesday, who was a bright and cheerful (mostly) normal girl in the original comics.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Schwarzwald posted:

The Adams Family has definitely drifted from its original conception. See also Wednesday, who was a bright and cheerful (mostly) normal girl in the original comics.

??? I remember reading through Adams original stuff in the Newspaper comic thread, and I NEVER remembered that.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Charlz Guybon posted:

This is dumb. Shakespearean English seems formal for us because it's 400 years old and we only hear it when we watch plays that were so good that they stayed popular for that time.

Back then it was slang ridden gutter talk with a ton of made up words.

I thought this tweet was about all the stupid quips not that its not OLDE ENGLISH

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

btw imo the "novel words" reputation of shakespeare is overstated. hes just the earliest written record we have of them (because he was popular, and a lot of stuff was never written down or thrown out if it was), but you cant have a popular play thats like 5 or 10% neologisms. even works like clockwork orange or 1984 only had a handful

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samovar posted:

??? I remember reading through Adams original stuff in the Newspaper comic thread, and I NEVER remembered that.

Pulling some examples from those same threads (with a shout out to Painterofcrap for uploading them):

"Mostly normal" might not have been the right description, but I stand by "bright and cheerful." She's almost always shown with a = ) expression. Her goth Emily the Strange style portrayal in the 90s films forward was a turn.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 19, 2022

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
And the thing about Wednesday is she’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

This is dumb. Shakespearean English seems formal for us because it's 400 years old and we only hear it when we watch plays that were so good that they stayed popular for that time.

Back then it was slang ridden gutter talk with a ton of made up words.

Slang ridden gutter talk sounds great. Too bad what they’re doing here is 2010-era Joss Whedon / Russo brothers cringe

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
People seem to think any instance of banter or people being irreverent is something that started with Whedon and the MCU and isn't like a common thing in adventure fiction. And you know, it has a place. It's not inherently bad. All in the execution.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Mummy has excellent banter.

poo poo so does Deep Rising.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

https://twitter.com/IamLuisGuzman/status/1560083405617995776?s=20&t=Ys6q0-S3L-wKxJ3WgED-3w

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Saw this via archaeology twitter; a new contender for "show literally the entire movie in 150 seconds"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgv6KHeAFeY

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mola Yam posted:

Saw this via archaeology twitter; a new contender for "show literally the entire movie in 150 seconds"

And it would be infinitely better and more watchable if it was just a 2 hour doc on the actual real life story.
I'd rather watch the true story than some ginned up version of it.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/hbo/status/1561488323172073474?s=21&t=H0dAOJQ4C_W2alcJpMAZpg

Last of Us Footage in the last 15 secs or so. I'm so loving excited.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
tweet deleted, add it to the list of things hbo's new management took down

https://twitter.com/HBO/status/1561492358549626886

tlou-only version

https://twitter.com/HBOsTheLastofUs/status/1561490269262024706

kliras fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 22, 2022

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Would trade all those shows that I’ll never watch for a single episode of milky robots.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

ozmunkeh posted:

Would trade all those shows that I’ll never watch for a single episode of FBOY Island.

Fixed

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

kliras posted:

tweet deleted, add it to the list of things hbo's new management took down

https://twitter.com/HBO/status/1561492358549626886

tlou-only version

https://twitter.com/HBOsTheLastofUs/status/1561490269262024706

Next year? I thought it was this Autumn. gently caress!

Pedro Pascal's voice sounds identical to the game in that clip. Ramsay girl looks crazy young still. Wonder if she'll have prior firearms training like in the game or if they've also written her to be younger.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bugblatter posted:

Next year? I thought it was this Autumn. gently caress!

Pedro Pascal's voice sounds identical to the game in that clip. Ramsay girl looks crazy young still. Wonder if she'll have prior firearms training like in the game or if they've also written her to be younger.

I think one of those shots is actually Sarah

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think one of those shots is actually Sarah

Yeah, the one where he’s carrying her while running. But the other shots are Bella Ramsay who hardly looks older than she did it GoT. Which can be fine, I just wonder if writing will account for it.

Edit: I just checked Bella Ramsay’s IMDb and she’s apparently 18 and looks closer to her age in other photos. Maybe there’s just something about the one clear shot where Pedro is giving her a gun that makes her look younger.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 22, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Schwarzwald posted:

Pulling some examples from those same threads (with a shout out to Painterofcrap for uploading them):

"Mostly normal" might not have been the right description, but I stand by "bright and cheerful." She's almost always shown with a = ) expression. Her goth Emily the Strange style portrayal in the 90s films forward was a turn.

Ah, I now see what you mean. Sorry, misinterpreted what you meant by bright and cheerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Mola Yam posted:

lmao that someone checking out "eight titles" on their research subject is presented as this epic moment of intellectual badassery

"I'll take them. All of them" :cool:

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 22, 2022