Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's a pretty damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation for sure, but I agree that if Pelgrane put out such a forceful statement of intent that it falls on them to actually stick to it or else the whole thing is just hollow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

It's a pretty damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation for sure, but I agree that if Pelgrane put out such a forceful statement of intent that it falls on them to actually stick to it or else the whole thing is just hollow.

Especially since 13th Age is the sort of thing where I'd expect the customer base for it to be significantly more well-informed than, say, your average 5E customer.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
One D&D, One World of Darkness

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kor posted:

To be fair, I am probably chicken little-ing a bit with how far I can see this going. But on the other hand this is Hasbro/WotC and this is the direction basically every content-producing business is going to (or has already gone to) regardless of how good of an idea it actually turns out to be in practice.

Given how they've been dipping D&D into Magic: the Gathering, the One D&D thing is probably at least partially a realignment to get D&D caught up with Magic on the digital front and open up new "revenue streams" for it. The different Magic digital platforms have demonstrated you can make exponentially more money that way with functioning digital tools and an online storefront. Paper Magic has also endured and stuff like Secret Lairs demonstrates there's insane whale cash to be made there. D&D is even more dependent on physical accoutrements than Magic, so there's room to do a lot of similar Secret Lairs-esque prestige minis, dice sets, maps, and books on rotation.

The digital tools let them port playtest rules in and "patch" a new 5.5e or 6e while spinning it as no big deal. Do a print run of the original rules and then periodically they can do a fresh prestige print when they want to integrate the errata into the core books or introductory box sets. It sucks and it's evidently motivated by turning D&D into an eternal live service game, and will probably lead to undercutting third parties like local game stores, but it makes sense because this whole stunt lets D&D build itself even more into an island unto itself away from other TTRPGs.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
looks like some smart changes. the worlds #1 roleplaying game ... just levellled up

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

I'm extremely skeptical that a roleplaying game could function exactly like a cloud software platform or a phone OS, but I wouldn't be shocked if Hasbro gave it a try. Players are supposed to care about characters and enemies and adventures, imagine if the VTT just worked and all you had to do was play, without giving thought to whether the monster math works or what would happen to your whole campaign if they merged STR and CON. (Of course this could lock you in to the equivalent of that OS's app store... a bonus, from Hasbro's perspective.)

Yeah, this seems like it would be really hard to pull off to me with how RPGs are typically played. Like, already there's a pretty big disconnect between how most groups play RPGs and what's written in the rulebook. If the rulebook can change, that either means that it'll be asking a lot of casual players to pay attention to patch notes, or the gap will widen a bunch and different players will end with different rulesets in their heads. It's not like you open the PHB to the combat rules chapter every time a fight breaks out--pretty quickly you can just start running it from your memory.

I could see this working with a hard turn towards VTTs with automated processes, though. That opens up its own cans of worms, and I'm not sure I'd be especially into that playstyle depending on how hands-on the automation is, but the design space for a hybrid digital/rpg seems like something that really ought to be explored more (and that could be potentially done way better by a studio with a big budget than by indie attempts). The projects I'm currently working on are both in that hybrid RPG/digital space--I think there's a lot of cool unexplored space around there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Inspiration still capped at 1 and you still have feats like "add prof bonus to initiative" in the same pool as "craft items 20% faster"

Never change guys :allears:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Splicer posted:

Inspiration still capped at 1 and you still have feats like "add prof bonus to initiative" in the same pool as "craft items 20% faster"

uh, Alert also allows you to swap initiative with another player, it's a good feat, that actually helps the party now lol.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

OtspIII posted:

If the rulebook can change, that either means that it'll be asking a lot of casual players to pay attention to patch notes, or the gap will widen a bunch and different players will end with different rulesets in their heads. It's not like you open the PHB to the combat rules chapter every time a fight breaks out--pretty quickly you can just start running it from your memory.

I could see this working with a hard turn towards VTTs with automated processes, though. That opens up its own cans of worms, and I'm not sure I'd be especially into that playstyle depending on how hands-on the automation is, but the design space for a hybrid digital/rpg seems like something that really ought to be explored more (and that could be potentially done way better by a studio with a big budget than by indie attempts). The projects I'm currently working on are both in that hybrid RPG/digital space--I think there's a lot of cool unexplored space around there.

Phone and tablet apps seem pretty likely in the long run, where you can store character sheets and a quick reference toolkit that lets you search what the "stunned" condition means faster than flipping through a book would. If the rulebook changes, you can print out the errata notes. Or more realistically, they expect you to subscribe and get free patches right to your character sheet and you can print out a fresh copy of that if you use a paper one at a table. Eventually the first print run of books is outdated, sure, but that incentivizes newcomers to make sure to buy the newest Official Print Version with all the baked-in errata and maybe you even get a digital copy of the book for free on D&D Insider with every new purchase, so now you never have to worry about your books being outdated again. (In marketing spin talk.)

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Splicer posted:

If you get more than one Inspiration you can give it to an ally however.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Roadie posted:

I credit Michael Bay for helping me truly internalize this lesson.

MSTK taught me this early. Also that you can absolutely roast the things you love without stopping loving them.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Warthur posted:

Calling it "One D&D" is a great way to take the wind out of the sails of the 1E grogs. Just emphatically associate the number 1 with inclusive mechanics, a younger and more accepting target demographic, and streaming-friendly features.

You're not even thinking about the OD&D abbreviation for the white box crowd.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
would it be thread-appropriate to post about the playtest content here? do I take it to the 5e thread?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

gradenko_2000 posted:

would it be thread-appropriate to post about the playtest content here? do I take it to the 5e thread?

5e thread or TG Chat or just make a new thread. Unless it's the business side of things, probably not this thread.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

gradenko_2000 posted:

people are talking about it in the 5e thread, that'd probably be the best place to talk about specifics, focusing more on the business side is probably appropriate here. So long as it doesn't get too silly and aggro here or whatever.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

New thread. It's a big topic and it's not like just the 5e people care about it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I'm already seeing friends post stuff like "can't we just move beyond editions and just call D&D D&D?" Which is just silly in terms of clarity, but it definitely shows there's a market for people that would keep buying stuff forever in an evergreen edition that wasn't technically evergreen.
Though I'll also give some leeway that the folks really taking that position work in the TG space and would never commit career suicide by pointing out a big name game is bad, or a company made a mjaor misstep.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Xiahou Dun posted:

New thread. It's a big topic and it's not like just the 5e people care about it.

I agree with this. Especially since there's likely to be a lot of critiquing of D&D1, and I don't think it's fair to poo poo up the 5e thread with it.
I say this as the sort of person who will be making GBS threads up the thread with "they named the 9th d&d d&d one"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Definitely a new thread. Including the discussion in the 5e thread seems bad for both the people who want to talk about this and the people who just want to talk about 5e.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dexo posted:

uh, Alert also allows you to swap initiative with another player, it's a good feat, that actually helps the party now lol.
Yes, that's my point. You can start with a massive combat advantage or be marginally superior at weaving baskets.

Yusin posted:

If you get more than one Inspiration you can give it to an ally however.
While introducing at least one new feat that dumps inspiration on your entire party.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm already seeing friends post stuff like "can't we just move beyond editions and just call D&D D&D?" Which is just silly in terms of clarity, but it definitely shows there's a market for people that would keep buying stuff forever in an evergreen edition that wasn't technically evergreen.

Am I misremembering or wasn't this the push behind Essentials? (Before it got turned into 4e without anything you'd enjoy about 4e.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

Am I misremembering or wasn't this the push behind Essentials? (Before it got turned into 4e without anything you'd enjoy about 4e.)

Essentials was more like "this is 4.5e, but we promise you it's still 100% compatible with 4e, because we don't want to generate the fiasco that was the 3.0-to-3.5 transition again"

in terms of rules compatibility, that promise was kept - it's just that, as you said, the product itself was not good

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I remember that part, but I mean more the evergreen state of the line.

I had a whole conversation with some friends about how we weren't going to see a 6e, and I wish I'd written it down. They're following the WoW model of iterative editions through expansions, avoiding the flashpoint of "new" by forever soft reinventing itself. You can't edition war without editions, so D&D 5.3.7 is going to be as welcome as 5.3.6 was. It's just a patch that fixes some quality of life issues and corrects an exploit or two.

Of course they had to dick this up by announcing that it'll be D&D One, giving people a place to hang their angry hats.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

moths posted:

I remember that part, but I mean more the evergreen state of the line.

I had a whole conversation with some friends about how we weren't going to see a 6e, and I wish I'd written it down. They're following the WoW model of iterative editions through expansions, avoiding the flashpoint of "new" by forever soft reinventing itself. You can't edition war without editions, so D&D 5.3.7 is going to be as welcome as 5.3.6 was. It's just a patch that fixes some quality of life issues and corrects an exploit or two.

Of course they had to dick this up by announcing that it'll be D&D One, giving people a place to hang their angry hats.

I think there's a slight blurring here of Essential's promise and next's. Though you are right they were big on making sure folks knew it wasn't 4.5
Essentials was pitched as a way of fixing some of the problems with 4e and baking in some of the math improvements and rule clarifications they had made through the edition's lifespan at a 'jumping on point' for new players. So that might be where you recall it as an evergreen d&d pitch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It got kinda weird since they massively improved the monster design while making crappier classes.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
They called the twelfth D&D D&D One.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Splicer posted:

Yes, that's my point. You can start with a massive combat advantage or be marginally superior at weaving baskets.

Crafting is the only talent I'd say is completely silly, and in some games I've played(well okay specifically one game), it would have been pretty useful. But yeah it is a niche thing that doesn't particularly help the combat portion of the game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a reason good systems make sure you can't be presented with the option to have a combat advantage or a non-combat one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm being contrarian here, but I don't think a choice between a combat and noncombat option is bad per se. But in like 95% of games, combat is a defined subsystem with lots of rules and obvious stakes, while everything noncombat is loose and vague and may never come up. If the game actually has detailed rules for social combat, building stuff, domain management, etc. with clear stakes and consequences, it can work.

Hell, even in an old game like Nightlife, a noncombat skill can just give you a flat amount of money every week and equipment is purchased in exact dollar amounts, so Basketweaving can get you a better gun

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a reason good systems make sure you can't be presented with the option to have a combat advantage or a non-combat one.

It's a philosophy difference but, I kinda fundamentally disagree with that. I think Crafting is a bad feat because it is just incredibly specific to a type of game with a poo poo ton more downtime and shopping than I have normally seen.

However I do generally think something like skilled is a perfectly fine feat that grants utility, but no combat advantage. I don't think everything needs to help the combat Pillar, but it probably does need to be of some use in common situations.

The crafting feat specifically in this case, probably does need some sort of more like "field utility" like allowing you to jury rig poo poo to help out when exploring or something.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dexo posted:

It's a philosophy difference but, I kinda fundamentally disagree with that. I think Crafting is a bad feat because it is just incredibly specific to a type of game with a poo poo ton more downtime and shopping than I have normally seen.

However I do generally think something like skilled is a perfectly fine feat that grants utility, but no combat advantage. I don't think everything needs to help the combat Pillar, but it probably does need to be of some use in common situations.

The crafting feat specifically in this case, probably does need some sort of more like "field utility" like allowing you to jury rig poo poo to help out when exploring or something.
The root issue is that combat is very well defined and has concrete fail states that kill your character, and everything else doesn't. You can talk your way into getting the crafter bonuses (or just pay an NPC) but D&D isn't set up to talk your way or of an arrow through the torso.

So feats that impact combat mechanics are worth more to have down on your paper than feats that are not. There's basically 3 approaches to solving this issue in a crunchy system.
1) have the line between combat and non-combat extremely blurry and via a unified base mechanic. In the FFG funny dice systems you can spend all combat tinkering with a door lock while feeding your incidental success bennies to the guy with a big gun.
2) make each thing have both combat and non-combat aspects. Masterful crafter gives you +20% crafting speed and also you take such good care of and spend so much time customising your equipment that gain +1d6 damage or free advantage rolls etc.
3) you silo combat points pools from non-combat points pools. At first level you choose two feats, one from the crafter/skilled/linguist pool and one from the alert/gwf/shield bash pool, then you alternate.

1 and 2 are both Effort (and 2 is the one that you disagree with philosophically) but 3 is trivial, so the only reason they don't do it is because laziness and groggy tradition.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 19, 2022

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Let me pitch a name for this.

“One D&D: And this, is to go even further D&DBeyond.”

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"One D&D: No not the good OD&D"
"One D&D: One D&D too many"
"One D&D: Still two D's though"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

One D&D: the next essential advanced original

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
"One D&D: Because 5th edition minus 4th is One"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"Three D&Ds for the Elven-kings under the sky..."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
One D&D: D&D One has the wrong kind of MAD

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012