Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Mimesweeper posted:

bitcoin is crashing!! sell sell sell!!!!

lfg :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Number19 posted:

The candles on cryptowat.ch are wild right now. Crazy volatility going on. This is obviously good for butts and is part of a triple underhanded spinning slingshot pattern which is taking it straight to the moon!

aggr.trade is aggregated data updated realtime. It's even crazier but watching it too much will stress anyone out.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

priznat posted:

Didn’t they pay up front (in USD)for a long term? The stadium owners are no dummies.

I wonder if stadium naming rights are liquidated like any other asset during a bankruptcy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

isnt this literally all stadium renamings? like even for companies that still exist like staples.

Also arent stadium renames redflag vanity moves that often predict NAME is about to sink?

Much like building a new corporate headquarters, its very red flag. Just absolute money pit paid for purely for a ceo/board member/owners ego

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
My reserves are very real and they're super cool and my commercial paper is the most commercial

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1560604571134599173

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Can we see them?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Just out of frame are my many billions in real currency.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I wonder if I can start my own stablecoin if I yell loud enough I'm totally backing it with real money. Somewhere. Honest.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

OzyMandrill posted:

Can we see them?

no, but here's a report from major accounting firm BDO distantly-related overseas BDO franchisee "BDO Italia" that we hired to audit us look at our made-up reserves report and confirm that the report "has a lot of numbers on it, very big numbers that do, in fact, appear to be 'numbers'"

e:

SettingSun posted:

I wonder if I can start my own stablecoin if I yell loud enough I'm totally backing it with real money. Somewhere. Honest.
periodic reminder that you don't even have to state that you'll use your totally-real money to back it, as Tether's original terms of service made quite clear that they were not actually obligated to redeem USDTs if they didn't feel like it. apparently all you have to do is holler about how you have a very-real pile of money, and nobody actually cares that there's no legal mechanism that will force them to hand any of that money out!

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 19, 2022

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I feel meta just preparing for a world where we can't go outside due to climate disasters/plague. Simulating normalcy while the world crumbles outside of your bunker.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Zuck is grasping at straws because Apple flipped a switch and cost facebook billions of dollars

gregday
May 23, 2003

sporklift posted:

I feel meta just preparing for a world where we can't go outside due to climate disasters/plague. Simulating normalcy while the world crumbles outside of your bunker.

That’s literally the context for the idea and term “metaverse” as it was coined in the dystopian sci-fi novel Snow Crash.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

HappyHippo posted:

Zuck is grasping at straws because Apple flipped a switch and cost facebook billions of dollars

Now he's wasting a few billions more on this harebrained idea and VR headsets.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

fuking lol

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

gregday posted:

That’s literally the context for the idea and term “metaverse” as it was coined in the dystopian sci-fi novel Snow Crash.

None of these people (Zuck, Musk, etc.) have read Snow Crash, instead they're all trying to speedrun Ready Player One. But they all forgot the literal cover of that book was a dystopia of stacked trailer homes.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

also tiktok is eating instagrams lunch and he can't just buy it because it's chinese

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Party Ape posted:

I wonder if stadium naming rights are liquidated like any other asset during a bankruptcy.

Possible goon gofundme project?

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

priznat posted:

Possible goon gofundme project?

We'd probably lose to a kickstarter that wants to name it Stadium McStadiumface.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

So Tether's first "report" from "BDO Italia" is out, and if any of you care about the accounting/audit/attestation nerd angle of all this, there's a few interesting changes from the previous reports under other accounting firms. (I'll caveat here that I'm familiar with American audit and assurance standards, not so much with international standards.)
https://twitter.com/Tether_to/status/1560603494411030528

1) The use of "independent auditor's report" and "independent auditor" is extremely (and presumably deliberately) misleading. As always, this is not an audit report, these accountants are not acting as auditors. Now, Tether has always tried to make people think that this is like an audit, so them tweeting like this is not new. What is new is that the accountants are also going out of their way to be misleading - BDO Italia's report refers to themselves as "independent auditors", despite them not actually acting as auditors in this engagement. Under American standards, I believe it is prohibited to describe yourself in a report as "auditors" when you are not doing an audit. I don't know if this is permissible under international standards, but I'm skeptical as it seems very misleading. Interestingly, the previous accountants (MHA Cayman) did it how I would expect it - they issued their reports under the same professional standards as this report, but they (appropriately) refer to themselves as "independent accountants", not "independent auditors".

2) Their heavy use and framing of "BDO, a top 5 accounting firm" is also extremely (and presumably deliberately) misleading. While the big accounting firms typically have some kind of umbrella organization for all of their international operations, each member firm in each country is its own independent legal entity. BDO Italia is a separate legal entity from BDO LLP (in the US), with a separate organizational structure and, presumably, a separate client acceptance and quality control structure. The fact that a $65 billion hedge fund/wildcat bank with an uncertain jurisdictional situation (the Caymans? Hong Kong? Bermuda??) is seeking out a smaller Italian firm that shares branding with a big American firm to issue an English-language report on a business that is almost entirely denominated in US dollars... is weird! This all stinks to me, and I'll be curious to see if this starts drawing unfavorable attention at some point from other BDO firms.

2a) FWIW, the hollering about "top 5 accounting firm" is funny PR nonsense to those in the industry. Big accounting firms around the world fall into two groups: the Big Four, and everyone else. The big firms in the "everyone else" category are constantly jockeying to find whatever arbitrary metric says they're "bigger" than the others so they can claim they are "top 5", "top 15", etc etc.

3) The actual report issued by BDO Italia is longer, more detailed, and... weirder and more self-conflicting than previous reports. The "auditors responsibility" section (which doesn't make sense - this wasn't an audit!) suggests they performed some procedures you might perform in an audit (such as documenting internal controls, getting bank confirmations, testing asset valuations). But those procedures seem unnecessary and incidental to the nature of the engagement, and the "scope limitations" section seems to refute some of those procedures by saying they disregarded all activity before and after June 30. So they refer to themselves as "auditors", state they did some things that seem audit-ish... and then state that they did not do such audit-ish things. What?? Again, I'm not an expert on international attestation standards, but just going by the content of report, this all seems very weird and inconsistent and shoddy.

4) This should go without saying, but: as with all previous reports from Tether, this thing is so limited and qualified and full of caveats and cherry-picking and misleading elements that it is useless as anything other than propaganda for Tether's PR operation.

5) I didn't spend much time looking at the actual content of Tether's reserve report (because it is clearly unreliable bullshit), but as before, it is inconsistent with other evidence we have about Tether's business activities and holdings. As before, it lists no direct crypto holdings, even though we've learned through Celsius bankruptcy court filings that it held roughly a billion in cryptocurrency as collateral for loans made just to Celsius.

tl;dr: this report seems even weirder than their (bad, weird) reports prior to now, Tether has found some accountants that seem willing to push the envelope more than ever on misleading assurance reports that are very much not audits, and I wonder if this "BDO Italia" outfit is wildin' out in a way that might draw some negative attention from the greater BDO collective some day.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 19, 2022

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

If you really have $80 billion in a bank account you don’t need to keep paying people to put out PR releases talking about it you can just pay people when they ask you for the money and then sit on an island and relax.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

None of these people (Zuck, Musk, etc.) have read Snow Crash, instead they're all trying to speedrun Ready Player One. But they all forgot the literal cover of that book was a dystopia of stacked trailer homes.

They do know, and they think it's good

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah anyone who isn't PWC, EY, Deloitte or KPMG is playing a very different game as international big deal accountants.

However the report does state they have obtained 'reasonable assurance' which is the same level you get in an audit report. It is still not an audit report.

The one you want to watch out for is 'limited assurance' which is exactly as caveated as it sounds.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I have "High Assurance' that bitcoin is a complete and total scam.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

For an entity trying to seem transparent, it is suspect to show so proudly this weaselly "audit".

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

LifeSunDeath posted:

I have "High Assurance' that bitcoin is a complete and total scam.

I would go so far as to say Crypto Currency is a complete and total scam

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

However the report does state they have obtained 'reasonable assurance' which is the same level you get in an audit report. It is still not an audit report.

Actually, I went back and re-read it again, and... I think that technically it doesn't actually say that! It says they were "engaged to perform a reasonable assurance engagement" (which is strange phrasing), and that they followed the standards required for obtaining "reasonable assurance"... but they don't explicitly state the magic phrase that they obtained evidence necessary to support a reasonable basis for their assurance opinion. (Compare with the last MHA Cayman report, which does say that clearly). Again, I'm no expert in international standards, but the form and language of this report seems weird and inconsistent, even in comparison to the previous reports they've gotten.

All that aside, the level of assurance doesn't fuckin' matter if the thing you are passing assurance on is irrelevant bullshit. The accountants state that "the reserves report is presented in accordance with... the criteria in the reserves report." It's circular: all they're saying is that "this report says what this report says." There's no validation or verification of the reserves report against any evidence, there's no consideration of whether or not the reserves report fairly states financial information. It's all just fancy wordplay on official letterhead that's meant to give the vague impression of an audit, without doing any of the actual testing and collection of evidence.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

sporklift posted:

Is this real? There’s now way this is real

. . . Is it?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is this real? There’s now way this is real

. . . Is it?

Not the twin towers bit, but Zuck did indeed post the image outside of that as though it isn’t incredibly offputting

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

RPO was just a less subtle Snow Crash, a book who's main character was Hiro Protagonist.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

The twin towers were very real. The blockchain never forgets.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Neito posted:

RPO was just a less subtle Snow Crash, a book who's main character was Hiro Protagonist.

What's even funnier is Ready Player Two is a straight up rip off of The Matrix and Sword Art Online. So much so that a character even points this out in the story. This is literally a line of dialogue:

"Christ! Haven't any of you rewatched The Matrix lately? Or Sword Art Online?"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

LifeSunDeath posted:

The twin towers were very real. The blockchain never forgets.

Nice try terrorists. You failed to account for the fact that those buildings and the souls within were already minted as NFTs. You fools.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What's even funnier is Ready Player Two is a straight up rip off of The Matrix and Sword Art Online. So much so that a character even points this out in the story. This is literally a line of dialogue:

"Christ! Haven't any of you rewatched The Matrix lately? Or Sword Art Online?"

gently caress me sideways. I didn't exactly hate RPO when I read it, but that just makes me angry. Especially since someone might commit the greatest anime sin of all: Thinking SAO is worth watching.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Neito posted:

gently caress me sideways. I didn't exactly hate RPO when I read it, but that just makes me angry. Especially since someone might commit the greatest anime sin of all: Thinking SAO is worth watching.

Not only that, but worth being studied as a cultural artifact in 2045.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Nice try terrorists. You failed to account for the fact that those buildings and the souls within were already minted as NFTs. You fools.

so do NFTs of the twin towers also include the outside world inside the NFT, or are the peeps in there trapped inside the towers?

is it like scp 1733 - the basketball game tape?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
So the GameStop CEO rugpulled the SuperStonk crowd with a $BBBY pump and dump.

Went from $15 to $28....to $11.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

so do NFTs of the twin towers also include the outside world inside the NFT, or are the peeps in there trapped inside the towers?

is it like scp 1733 - the basketball game tape?

https://mobile.twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1550853220972503040

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Gutcruncher posted:

Try telling that to the blockchain fork where jet fuel can't melt steel beams

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Blotto_Otter posted:

Actually, I went back and re-read it again, and... I think that technically it doesn't actually say that! It says they were "engaged to perform a reasonable assurance engagement" (which is strange phrasing),

Apologies, I had opened up the the MHA Cayman report by mistake :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The Lord of Hats posted:

Not the twin towers bit, but Zuck did indeed post the image outside of that as though it isn’t incredibly offputting

I like how it's clear absolutely no one at Facebook can say no to him, especially telling him to stop putting his lizard face on the brand. Like Halo Infinite got dragged for weeks for one poorly made enemy model and here's Zuck putting out that into the world for free.