Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Looper posted:

watching 400 episodes of anime would take way longer than reading 1000 chaps of a weekly series though...

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

But it ruled pretty hard. At least listen to the OP and ED songs folks

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm glad I got started on the anime of OP because the voice acting is all so good and that's how I hear them in my brain but the manga cannot be defeated, especially since the pacing of the anime becomes so interminable

For sure! The voice cast is insanely good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I've only played FvZ of these, GvZG sounds loving sick??

It rules, you go through characters' individual histories and unlock different characters and alternate histories that start to diverge if things change. For example some rando is supposed to die in space early on; if you keep your rando ally alive, you unlock them as a character, a new timeline diverges, and you go through with them. Do it enough and you get alternate endings to how the show went, and you can do this for three different factions (by default you start off with the goal of having Kamille not get brain problems, Jerid not get owned, and Axis not lose in the next show). Then as mentioned it will toss you earlier and you do some FvZ stuff (and most of the suits are in the game too!), and it'll even if you try hard enough unlock a timeline to go through ZZ Gundam also

The gameplay is identical but a little snappier, so it's still fairly clunky though, but at least the aces can't just kill you from behind instantly anymore. It has the start of the burst system that the rest of EXVS has too. This is the last one of the series that actually has a cool campaign mode like this unfortunately

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 19, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

one piece owns

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

one piece is an extremely long story, like ff14, except its nothing but hit all killer no filler

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unless you're watching the anime

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's One Piece (of poo poo) :grin:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

La Comédie humaine consist of 93 finished works.

One piece has 102 volumes and is still being written.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Willo567 posted:

manga is better than western comics because manga actually have a beginning and end, unlike comics where they just run forever and there are tons of different runs on a character making it almost impossible to keep up

There's a lot of western comics that end tho if you avoid the marvel/dc superhero stuff!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Unless you're watching the anime

why would you do that

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

manga ftw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When will they start the second piece

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I haven't watched or read One Piece, but I know Minoru Suzuki is in the anime so I'm going to assume it's superior.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
one piss

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Stux posted:

why would you do that

Because it was very cooool for a long time. Much joy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHkE4Ik5BSY

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

PunkBoy posted:

I haven't watched or read One Piece, but I know Minoru Suzuki is in the anime so I'm going to assume it's superior.

the anime is terrible

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1560619969339359232?s=20&t=z3kaF7mJsIFXBxbvlDP_ug

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Frozen goodness and green pieceness

Oh that's terrible, I'm leaving

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Is that an Orson Welles reference? He's cool. Plus he was Unicron, so he is an anime.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Heavy Metal posted:

Is that an Orson Welles reference? He's cool. Plus he was Unicron, so he is an anime.

It's a reference to a line that is not in the classic Orson Welles tape, but is in the Pinky and Brain parody of the Orson Welles tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uWW--w4SRs

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Good stuff, 90s toon vibes always welcome.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Isn't there a One Piece RPG coming out soon? IIRC it looked pretty neat

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

People are always talking poo poo about anime filler episodes but in Dragonball Z theres an ep where Goku and Piccolo try to get their driver's licenses and its the best one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Filler is a pointless descriptor as people will use it to describe any bits they don't like

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

sometimes anime filler can be good but most of the time it is bad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

Filler is a pointless descriptor as people will use it to describe any bits they don't like

Filler has the technical definition of "doesn't contribute to the overall plot" but yeah it gets used very subjectively

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Goku drivers license

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Filler can be quite twee

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Everyone always brings up Goku's driver's license but never a four minute flashback to something that happened on the previous episode followed by Vegeta gasping in shock for twenty seconds

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No Dignity posted:

Everyone always brings up Goku's driver's license but never a four minute flashback to something that happened on the previous episode followed by Vegeta gasping in shock for twenty seconds

Perhaps things are not always 100% good or bad

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think most things should strive to be 100% good, seems really easy but for some reason lots of artists decide to put in some bad

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

and

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that tracks

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Individual filler episodes can be good. Full filler arcs are what you need to be careful with. Some can be good, like the Zanpakuto Spirit arc in Bleach but most tend to be poo poo, like the Bount arc in Bleach.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Jay Rust posted:

Yikes. You do know that Nintendo regularly grinds their employees into flesh dust in order to feed the Super Miyamoto, right?

I was not aware of that specifically, although I labour under the assumption that every single video game developer chews up, spits out, and shits on its employees and contractors unless proven otherwise.

Hail Shigeru-san, Bringer of Mario, Eater like Snake.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sakurazuka posted:

well when an anime is being produced for a currently-running manga sometimes filler is a literal thing they need to do, like "oh poo poo only 10 more chapters of the manga have been published before we catch up to it and we need a 12 episode season, we need some side plots to take up screentime while we wait for more source material to adapt". i think this happened with the DBZ anime a lot?

the other option is to do it like the game of thrones tv show where when they ran out of books they just branched off from the source material and started making poo poo up in their own canon instead of waiting for GRRM to get off his fat rear end and start writing again

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 19, 2022

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i remember when naruto fans were mad that they got like, two straight years of it? after naruto and co failed to retrieve sasuke and they had to give the timeskip room to breathe

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Finally finished Horizon Forbidden West last night. I liked it a lot! The first one took me a while to get into but in the end I loved it, I finished it at the end of last year. Forbidden west was a great sequel and I had a ton of fun playing it. I put it down for a few months after experiencing 3 side-quest bugs in a row where I couldn't get any further, but when I picked it back up again, all of the sidequests were fixed. Liked most of the new characters, combat was fun as hell, I'll definitely get whatever DLC they put out if it's as good as the first one's dlc.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
son of a loving bitch, covid finally got me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

This post is a filler episode.