Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4251/my-hero-academia-chapter-363

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I try not to be negative in anime threads too often, but I’m just getting tired at this point.

My least favorite thing in manga is when the villain side just keeps getting stronger and the heroes just keep losing. There needs to be back and forth. As it is we’re already way past the point where if you ask how the heroes can win, the only answer is “the script says they do”. Bakugo just died and the villains are STILL getting stronger. Why? I already have no clue how they can reasonably be defeated by anyone other than Izuku using a new ability, and it’s been that way since this arc started. Are we now seeing that actually the other villains than Shigaraki are also too strong for the side characters so Izuku has to solo the entire villain alliance?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Have we established how boned the heroes are?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I've run out of opinions to have on the actual plot that's happening so I just want to say that Iida and Todoroki look incredibly pretty in their one panel.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm coming around on all of this actually since it's more interesting than what was being set up earlier which was Dabi getting chumped inside of a chapter and a half and everyone successfully sandbagging Shigaraki in a boring manner where nobody gets the upper hand until Goku shows up. If you're gonna have the badguys *really* get the upper hand for once in this series you may as well just go for it. I dunno what to tell you if you really think Deku is gonna fly around fighting everyone's fights for them.

I will say the timing and arrangement of all these events is still weird to me. Feels like putting the cart before the horse.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 19, 2022

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Best Jeanist looks really weird when he's shown like that

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Any shot of him where you can see his body in perspective at all makes his weird giraffe neck more prominent. It's a funny gag but looks even weirder when you got this guy in this life and death situation where major characters are getting brutally killed, lol

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't really feel like going back and checking but it seems like his neck got longer and longer as the series progressed

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Eggplant Squire posted:

I don't really feel like going back and checking but it seems like his neck got longer and longer as the series progressed

They say his neck grows longer the more society crumbles.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Story’s not doing a great job at establishing when everything is happening so it looks like All for One just had the slowest regeneration while everyone stood by and watched.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Delphisage posted:

Best Jeanist actually has a secret secondary bird quirk and can retract and extend his neck like a heron whenever he wants to.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LOL, OK, I think I'm back on board. This chapter makes it pretty clear that what we were presented at first, the standard shonen endgame "everyone gets a duel and it resolves sequentially before Goku Naruto Deku shows up to take down the big bad", isn't actually the setup. We're getting something else entirely.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So this feels like the the end of act 2. We are now at a new low point the villains are so much stronger that they are just going to win and move forward doing their poo poo. what possible turnaround turn around are we going to get that it feels like it's earned to make this the actual final battle? We already had the villains at what Seem to be their strongest and the heroic turnaround quick turnaround and now we're doing another turnaround?Just loving end the story

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So this feels like the the end of act 2. *snip* what possible turnaround turn around are we going to get that it feels like it's earned to make this the actual final battle?

I'm speculating entirely here, this is spoilered because it's about the current chapter:

We've had pretty much the entire relevant cast show up at this point, strongly signalling this is the endgame. Who's missing, other than Deku?

All Might, Eri, and Overhaul. If All For One gets to revert his body back to Prime AFO, what's to say that this isn't a setup for Eri/Overhaul to temporarily revert All Might to Prime Might and take down AFO one last time (more quickly on-page than in Kamino, probably), likely dying in the process and fulfilling Nighteye's prophecy?

edit: Further, all the fights we've had so far were mismatches. This was signalled early by Deku v. Toga being tossed aside quickly as a distraction, for the "real" fight to be Toga vs. Froppy/Uravity.

Endeavor needs to personally resolve Dabi, Deku needs to be fighting Shigaraki instead of having Bakugo fight him and die, etc. Who "should" be fighting AFO? All Might.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 19, 2022

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm speculating entirely here, this is spoilered because it's about the current chapter:

We've had pretty much the entire relevant cast show up at this point, strongly signalling this is the endgame. Who's missing, other than Deku?

All Might, Eri, and Overhaul. If All For One gets to revert his body back to Prime AFO, what's to say that this isn't a setup for Eri/Overhaul to temporarily revert All Might to Prime Might and take down AFO one last time (more quickly on-page than in Kamino, probably), likely dying in the process and fulfilling Nighteye's prophecy?

edit: Further, all the fights we've had so far were mismatches. This was signalled early by Deku v. Toga being tossed aside quickly as a distraction, for the "real" fight to be Toga vs. Froppy/Uravity.

Endeavor needs to personally resolve Dabi, Deku needs to be fighting Shigaraki instead of having Bakugo fight him and die, etc. Who "should" be fighting AFO? All Might.

I guess if you're gonna do eri shenanigans, you might as well let the best character in the series have one last fight while you're at it. I just hope bakugo stays dead, I loving hate it when writers kill off characters just to bring them back later, and when the dragon balls eri exists, it just kills any tension that might have otherwise existed.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
They better not kill Mirko too.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

SKULL.GIF posted:

It'd be some poo poo if AM just pops in Mirio-style at full power.

E: After throwing away Bakugo for a cheap twist, it's really the only thing I wanna see out of this Decaying manga

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

If All Might shows back up at full power then there's been no point to literally this entire story since the beginning.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I would hate this specifically because it completely throws aside the whole idea of everyone becoming the greatest hero and says no, actually, only one man can stand on the mountaintop.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

CuwiKhons posted:

If All Might shows back up at full power then there's been no point to literally this entire story since the beginning.

You're not wrong, but I've kinda felt that way since the Star and Stripe fight. For one, whatever depth the villains had seems to have been thrown out the window to focus on "cool" (I can't really make out half of what goes on in the fights anymore) shonen stock and that was a big hook for me before.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rhonne posted:

They better not kill Mirko too.

Seriously I care more about this than Bakugo

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If we didn’t already know this was the final arc I’d say this was going to end in a loss for the heroes and timeskip. Only thing I can think of to save this is the international heroes will show up(hopefully with The Crawler) to give the heroes some time to regroup

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Delphisage posted:

He looks normal on the lower right where he's combing his hair, but the picture at the top right looks like he has three times as much neck to make up for his lack of it in that instance.

SKULL.GIF posted:

what's to say that this isn't a setup for Eri/Overhaul to temporarily revert All Might to Prime Might and take down AFO one last time

This is what I've been expecting will happen and I'm not really about it, but at this point you might as well.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 19, 2022

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

So we’re not gonna talk about Young AFO being the lead in a shojo manga?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
How is he rewinding himself again it seems like this should not be possible

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

TheHan posted:

He absorbed Rewind from a bullet and apparently has no issue controlling it because apparently Shiggy isn't enough of a tedious threat

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Carlosologist posted:

So we’re not gonna talk about Young AFO being the lead in a shojo manga?

We'd just end up making jokes about MHA turning into Black Clover.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't wait for Shigaraki to reveal that he still has two transformations left.

I also can't wait for that to actually happen and feel despair that my dumb joke came true. :shepicide:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I can't wait for Shigaraki to reveal that he still has two transformations left.

I also can't wait for that to actually happen and feel despair that my dumb joke came true. :shepicide:

“What are feet, but just longer hands”

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Shiggy and AFO still have to fuse

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

He isn't even using his quirks yet. He doesn't need transformations, this is him fighting well below his full power.

Regarding the chapter, I still don't know what could reverse Bakugo's death. Maybe some ridiculous rear end-pull about Shiggy's been fighting Camies illusions the whole time?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Woozie66 posted:

Shiggy and AFO still have to fuse
What would be cool is something like "they fuse, the fused horror hears All Might calling them out, turns to chortle in triumph, it's Shinsou" except that'd probably be like a page tops of Shinsou's power being no sold followed by his jaw bone being ripped out and thrown through Sugar Man's head.

They really are getting a speed run of American comics!

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
They fuse, but it's literally just the fusion dance.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bakugo is just gonna get back up, replacing his heart with explosions

Yes I know this makes no sense

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

The 2 brothers finally facing off in an effort to finish their family drama where both of them have surpassed the father in their own way and the heroic one has done it by stepping entirely out of the drama and trying to find a new way forward is not a mismatch and flows completely from all 3 characters arcs. The father having to step in to do it personally is just personally it's just worse writing

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TheHan posted:

You know how a core part of Eri's power is that it has to build up over time before she can spend it and now the bad guy has her power? What if it didn't have that stipulation for no reason.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Dekus final quirk is "Kamehameha"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

No it's Fast Forward

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The 2 brothers finally facing off in an effort to finish their family drama where both of them have surpassed the father in their own way and the heroic one has done it by stepping entirely out of the drama and trying to find a new way forward is not a mismatch and flows completely from all 3 characters arcs. The father having to step in to do it personally is just personally it's just worse writing

The only outcome I'd accept is Dabi showing up at Endeavor's fight and getting out a "FATHEEER" before spontaneously turning to ash.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 19, 2022

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Shinjobi posted:

Bakugo is just gonna get back up, replacing his heart with explosions

Yes I know this makes no sense

An internal combustion engine. Makes perfect sense.

Really straining to give a poo poo about any of this anymore. Obligatorily reading until Goku finally shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

what a snooze. as has been pointed out, there was already no clear way for the heroes to win short of "Deku's punches are just that crazy powerful" (boring, seems inconsistent with what we've been presented so far), "the Second's quirk is powerful enough to turn the tide" (lame), or Deus ex Eri or other device (eh). this turn doesn't actually change that, and has been foreshadowed since May (Dabi's weird glow) and clearly incoming since June (AFO regenerating).

It'll probably read a little better in volume format but boy is it a slog right now.