Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Jerusalem posted:

I liked that when Matthew asked Dream if Lucifer was more powerful, Dream made absolutely no bones about stating that he wasn't even remotely anywhere in the same league as Lucifer.

I first read Sandman in high school this has always irked me.

In the cosmology of Sandman, gods and other mythological figures are basically glorified dreams: gods are born from stories, they thrive as long as people believe in and worship them, and they wither and fade from existence when they're forgotten. No god can truthfully claim to have created the universe, or rule it, because those claims are only true in the context of their stories. So it makes sense that Lucifer is powerful, because billions of people worldwide believe in him and fear him. But at the end of the day, he's still just an adversary/underworld figure from a monotheistic religion that's only a few thousand years old, and he shouldn't even be in the same league as one of the Endless.

Except, from what we're told in Season of Mists, Lucifer actually IS billions of years old, and his creator IS actually the guy who really did start the universe. That always bugged me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Jerusalem posted:

I liked that when Matthew asked Dream if Lucifer was more powerful, Dream made absolutely no bones about stating that he wasn't even remotely anywhere in the same league as Lucifer.

That is interesting, because in one of the compendium books Gaiman mentions that, when he first wrote the issue A Hope In Hell the mandate from DC editors was that in the DC Universe the Christian God existed and was the actual one true God. Therefor, since the DC universe was inherently Christian, Lucifer had to be so extremely powerful as well. (I think the whole "ruling triumvirate" thing was also a mandate from DC, since that was the status quo in hell for some of the other horror titles which occasionally visited there.)

Gaiman indicated, at least to the person interviewing him for that book, that the status quo of the Sandman universe after the title moved to the Vertigo imprint was that Lucifer wasn't any more inherently powerful than any other gods or god-type entities, and was fueled more by the fact that so many people believed in him. The Endless were more powerful, or at least more essential to the existence of the universe.

I think the show version seemed to indicate that Dream wasn't a match for Lucifer at that point because he was weakened without his tools. That said, having him win the game against Lucifer directly was enough to show that he could still defeat her.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Indie Rocktopus posted:

I first read Sandman in high school this has always irked me.

In the cosmology of Sandman, gods and other mythological figures are basically glorified dreams: gods are born from stories, they thrive as long as people believe in and worship them, and they wither and fade from existence when they're forgotten. No god can truthfully claim to have created the universe, or rule it, because those claims are only true in the context of their stories. So it makes sense that Lucifer is powerful, because billions of people worldwide believe in him and fear him. But at the end of the day, he's still just an adversary/underworld figure from a monotheistic religion that's only a few thousand years old, and he shouldn't even be in the same league as one of the Endless.

Except, from what we're told in Season of Mists, Lucifer actually IS billions of years old, and his creator IS actually the guy who really did start the universe. That always bugged me.

The impression I got from Lucifer and the arc with the Japanese pantheon seemed like the Gods exist independently of mortals in their own realms, but their ability to affect the material world is what is affected by worship. I don't think it's pure American Gods/Pratchett rules for Gods in this setting. The implication I got in The Sandman/Lucifer was that all of the other pantheons exist, but the universe they exist in was created by The God of the Covenant. There's been other universes, with their own creators and their own Gods/Endless, but the universe of The Sandman is one created by the Abrahamic God.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

The impression I got from Lucifer and the arc with the Japanese pantheon seemed like the Gods exist independently of mortals in their own realms, but their ability to affect the material world is what is affected by worship. I don't think it's pure American Gods/Pratchett rules for Gods in this setting. The implication I got in The Sandman/Lucifer was that all of the other pantheons exist, but the universe they exist in was created by The God of the Covenant. There's been other universes, with their own creators and their own Gods/Endless, but the universe of The Sandman is one created by the Abrahamic God.

Yeah, that checks out. I don't like to rely to much on interviews and spin-offs when interpreting the text (although Lucifer is fantastic), but the way you laid it out here makes sense.

The other reason, I think, is that it's a stronger story with far higher stakes because it presents Lucifer as the capital-D Devil, abandoning capital-H Hell, instead of emphasizing that he's just another semi-autonomous manifestation of our collective unconscious. So even though it bugs me, this is a case where I understand slightly fudging the rules of the setting for the sake of the story.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

I thought his voice was more Benedict Cumberbatch-like initially. I honestly didn't think it was even Sturridge's real voice and that it was modulated to a lower pitch or something at first.

I really liked his voice as Dream. It was one of the best parts of his characterization. One thing I noticed was that it sounds like he's whispering, even when he's talking at a normal volume. I don't know if they added an effect or if he just has a very breathy way of speaking, but I thought it was the most appropriate way for his voice to sound. Of course, Dream would speak in whispers.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Been reading my Sandman books and going beyond what the show covers, and I gotta say, as a show it's perfectly adequate-to-excellent but I can not see this production team do Shakespeare.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

My Lovely Horse posted:

Been reading my Sandman books and going beyond what the show covers, and I gotta say, as a show it's perfectly adequate-to-excellent but I can not see this production team do Shakespeare.

I can imagine it but they'll have to lean hard into the "play within a play" aspect of Midsummer Night's Dream.

The bigger issue is that multiple pages of the comics are just lengthy text block quotes from other sources, and that just can't translate to television. They've already avoided using the "death is before me today" poem from The Sound of Her Wings, which is probably the biggest regret I have about the adaptation so far, but I don't see how it was avoidable.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

My Lovely Horse posted:

the production skimped real hard on the dreaming and hell in the first season. thinking season of mists is going to be mostly earth locations, like dream and suzano-o-miko hanging out in tokyo and dream and odin hanging out in like oslo and dream and shivering jemmy hanging out at burning man

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The Voice of Labor posted:

the production skimped real hard on the dreaming and hell in the first season. thinking season of mists is going to be mostly earth locations, like dream and suzano-o-miko hanging out in tokyo and dream and odin hanging out in like oslo and dream and shivering jemmy hanging out at burning man

And Lord Kilderkin hanging out at International Paper.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Are they not going to be able to do Thor & Loki for Seasons of Mist? I understand why but they are such a fun part of the story - especially Loki. Marvel can't actually own those concepts though, right?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I have a feeling they'll do everything they can in the design of those characters to make them as far from Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston, and in the comics Thor and Loki look way different than the Marvel counterpoints.

Jaxyon posted:

Amazing.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 19, 2022

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Are they not going to be able to do Thor & Loki for Seasons of Mist? I understand why but they are such a fun part of the story - especially Loki. Marvel can't actually own those concepts though, right?

There's no way Disney can lay claim to them. Just make Thor a redhead and Loki a blond like they are in the comics and you're good to go (though it would be funny if they alluded to their more popular recent incarnations in one or two ways as a nod to the gods being affected by mortal perception).

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Jaxyon posted:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Borrowed Ladder posted:

no, they can't, I just used odin for pantheon shorthand in my idle speculation. there's a marvel odin too

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Thor and Odin are both portrayed in American Gods, so it's not like it hasn't been done before. They were obviously distinct characters based on the mythology and not the comic characters of the same name.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Yeah, it would be like DC laying claim to the idea of Hell, or the Devil.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Very tenuously tangentially related, but I love the Norse Mythology as shown in Top Ten, where they're a bunch of assholes in a bar getting into drunken brawls until one of them (Baldur I believe?) gets killed and the cops get called... and it turns out this happens EVERY night and the dead guy is back the next day to do the whole thing all over again. :allears:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dc death and marvel death having coffee together and deadpool being very confused over his affections because in the netflix audience poll that was the second most requested thing after dream/desire incest

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

impossiboobs posted:

Thor and Odin are both portrayed in American Gods, so it's not like it hasn't been done before. They were obviously distinct characters based on the mythology and not the comic characters of the same name.

Yeah, Disney do not have the sole rights to the norse pantheon...yet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Voice of Labor posted:

dc death and marvel death having coffee together and deadpool being very confused over his affections because in the netflix audience poll that was the second most requested thing after dream/desire incest

this is the future fandom geeks want

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this guy will also be named low key lye smith to get around the marvel issue

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I love Erik Larsen’s full throttle Kirby mode take on Thor and the gods (Thor needs a special gauntlet to hold Mjolnir, as shown below)

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Jerusalem posted:

Very tenuously tangentially related, but I love the Norse Mythology as shown in Top Ten, where they're a bunch of assholes in a bar getting into drunken brawls until one of them (Baldur I believe?) gets killed and the cops get called... and it turns out this happens EVERY night and the dead guy is back the next day to do the whole thing all over again. :allears:

In Marvel's version of Valhalla, a warrior got killed by Deadpool and all the other Asgardians make fun of him for it for all eternity. A shameful fate.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

They released a bonus episode apparently? I'd seen clips of them around but it's Dream of a Thousand Cats/Caliope

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Dream of 1000 Cats / Calliope episode is now live on Netflix.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Those were excellent adaptations of their respective comics, holy moly. Dream of a Thousand cats was essentially word for word and Caliope did a fantastic job setting up the story of Orpheus if they get to tell it

Show continues to deliver

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Man I am glad to know that this is finally out.
I've known about the Dream of a Thousand Cats episode for a year now since someone in my family did work on the animation of it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Caliope was a much improved adaptation over the comic. Well done.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Starring Kassandra as Calliope no less.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh man, if that's the quality we can expect from Season 2 I'm loving stoked, that was great. Plus (casting, in case anybody wants the pleasant surprise) Arthur Darvill AND Derek Jacobi!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man, if that's the quality we can expect from Season 2 I'm loving stoked, that was great. Plus (casting, in case anybody wants the pleasant surprise) Arthur Darvill AND Derek Jacobi!

Are you sure about that? Darvill voices Shakespeare in the Audible adaptation, just want to be sure you're not muddling.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Per Netflix, Sandman is the most popular English show since it's premiered, and watched close to 200 million hours worth.

For reference that's only slightly below Extraction and I've heard them claim that Extraction would be the equivalent of a billion dollar movie in theatres. Granted, that's gotta be some marketing bullshit in there.

If they're releasing viewership data, generally that means they're happy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaxyon posted:

For reference that's only slightly below Extraction and I've heard them claim that Extraction would be the equivalent of a billion dollar movie in theatres. Granted, that's gotta be some marketing bullshit in there.

Lmao I've never heard a single person say they watched or enjoyed Extraction.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Per Netflix, Sandman is the most popular English show since it's premiered, and watched close to 200 million hours worth.

If they're releasing viewership data, generally that means they're happy.

Yeah, ok that's cool but what is an Extraction

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
Dream of a Thousand Cats/Calliope just dropped on Netflix as a two part Episode 11

edit: derp old news!

AzureFlame fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 19, 2022

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I have no idea why Netflix decided to put the two episodes together into a single episode. It's not as though they are constrained by runtime or anything. Perhaps a way to pay fewer residuals?

I think Sturridge really did some great work in Calliope, playing it very stoically while allowing glimpses into the depth of the emotions which Dream experiences but doesn't allow himself to convey. Dude would do great in a traditional Victorian/Gothic romance.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

I have no idea why Netflix decided to put the two episodes together into a single episode. It's not as though they are constrained by runtime or anything. Perhaps a way to pay fewer residuals?

I think Sturridge really did some great work in Calliope, playing it very stoically while allowing glimpses into the depth of the emotions which Dream experiences but doesn't allow himself to convey. Dude would do great in a traditional Victorian/Gothic romance.

Haven't seen the new episode yet, but the originals are both a single issue of the comic, so I imagine they have to stretch out a bit just to fill the half of an hour long episode.

I think it's a good way to basically show more one-off stories, which there are quite a few.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jedit posted:

Are you sure about that? Darvill voices Shakespeare in the Audible adaptation, just want to be sure you're not muddling.

Yep. Darvil plays Ric Maddock, the author who purchases Caliope. The cast for both of these bonus stories has a LOT of carry-over from the Audible series. Michael Sheen, David Tennant, James McAvoy, and Gaiman himself are all in Dream of a Thousand Cats and Darvil is front and center in Caliope

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The casting on this series is obscene. There hasn't been an all star cast list like this since Harry Potter started up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

LanceHunter posted:

I get why they would release it two weeks after the premiere, after word of mouth had spread a bit, in order to renew interest and driver viewer numbers up again, so that's definitely a smart move.

It also makes sense to establish early on that self-contained one-off episodes are A Thing in Sandman, so fair enough.

"Calliope" is also an episode that's relatively cheap to make, since you only need a handful of real-life sets and hardly any CGI, so it makes sense to pick that one, rather than, say "A Midsummer Night's Dream".

Why they didn't release it as two separate episodes is still a bit baffling to me though.
The only reason I can think of is that, had they released "A Dream of a Thousand Cats" all by itself, viewers might have thought "oh poo poo, it's going to be the cheap animated cash grab spinoffs from here on out"*, maybe, and not given "Calliope" a chance? Who knows.

*To clarify, there was nothing cheap about this. Doing this thing photorealistically would have cost a fortune, or looked like crap, or both.