Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
This also means that the season contains like half of book 3 -- hob, cats, and calliope. At this rate they could do all of Sandman in 4 seasons potentially with relatively few cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I also think it has to do with episode orders. When Netflix first ordered this to series, they specifically stated 10 episodes and 1 bonus episode. For the longest time I assumed it would be what we got, but then they stopped using that language and just shifted to "it's a ten episode season" and didn't mention anything about Cats or Caliope. But they were constrained to only one bonus episode, so combining the two seems smart, since Dream is so short

I think a season 2 will get a larger season order and possibly more than one bonus episode (The Parliament of Rooks would make an excellent Halloween episode)

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This also means that the season contains like half of book 3 -- hob, cats, and calliope. At this rate they could do all of Sandman in 4 seasons potentially with relatively few cuts.

I agree. I think they'll pick and choose the short stories that are beloved and/or important to the overall story, so we'll see Thermidor and Song of Orpheus for sure, but also probably Midsummer's Night Dream at some point (especially since they introduced Shakespeare already)

Fingers crossed for Parliament of Rooks (as I mentioned above) and Three Septembers and a January.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 19, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If they stick to the comic's general structure, and in fact you can already see this happening within season 1, any division into seasons will be meaningless outside of "how many comic arcs are they producing and releasing at once".

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I agree. I think they'll pick and choose the short stories that are beloved and/or important to the overall story, so we'll see Thermidor and Song of Orpheus for sure, but also probably Midsummer's Night Dream at some point (especially since they introduced Shakespeare already)

Midsummer night's dream would be insane to do with real actors, but maybe it could work with a different kind of animated feature?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I always wanted to see what a man with the head of a donkey would look like in live-action.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hob was in the middle of book 2. (Like Undead poets society was in the middle of season of mists. Most of the long stories have a short one in the middle. Even A Game of You, though that was the Orpheus special rather than a regular numbered issue.)

The Nada issue was skipped over and it's going to be awkward to do at the beginning of season two. I might imagine a second special before s2 with that and maybe midsummer night (which sort of needs to be done to put Puck in play, long term.) Facade is likely impossible though.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Thranguy posted:

The Nada issue was skipped over and it's going to be awkward to do at the beginning of season two. I might imagine a second special before s2 with that and maybe midsummer night (which sort of needs to be done to put Puck in play, long term.) Facade is likely impossible though.

I mean, if I were a Netflix executive, I'd put in another similar 10-episode-plus-bonus order in for Season 2, but have the bonus come be the Nada story and Midsummer Night's Dream and have it come out a couple of months/weeks before Season 2 dropped. That way you can keep up the buzz between seasons, and get in two important elements that need setting up for Seasons of Mist (why Nada is in Hell and the existence of the fae).

Then again, since both of those elements have important tie-ins to Seasons of Mist, I could also see them just being woven into the season itself. Maybe there will be a post-season bonus episode that tells the story of Prez...

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Thranguy posted:

Facade is likely impossible though.

Apart from having to replace Element Girl with another character due to DC rights: Of all the single issues, I feel this is the one that can most easily be skipped (besides perhaps the Dead Boy Detectives). The story really doesn't reveal anything new about Death, and any cool lines she may have had in that issue could easily be dropped into other episodes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ague Proof posted:

I always wanted to see what a man with the head of a donkey would look like in live-action.

Pretty much the same now as in 1593, I expect.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

stev posted:

Lmao I've never heard a single person say they watched or enjoyed Extraction.

It's one of the most viewed movies on Netflix and pretty critically well received.

It's like saying you don't know anyone who watches or enjoys Chicago PD. I personally don't know anyone who watched that, but a ton of people actually do.

I agree it's hard to equate it to a Nielsen share or a box office data, but the point is that Sandman seems to be popular enough on Netflix to get them to make more seasons. And that's what I care about.

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, ok that's cool but what is an Extraction

A movie by directed by a Marvel stunt coordinator and featuring Thor with an seemingly uncut 12 minute long chase sequence. It's cool.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dave Syndrome posted:

Apart from having to replace Element Girl with another character due to DC rights: Of all the single issues, I feel this is the one that can most easily be skipped (besides perhaps the Dead Boy Detectives). The story really doesn't reveal anything new about Death, and any cool lines she may have had in that issue could easily be dropped into other episodes.
Already have been, in fact, the whole thing about putting up the chairs on the universe is from there. Maybe they could have rolled it in with episode 6 somehow. But then the whole point of the issue is to connect specifically Element Girl to the Sandman cosmology, and if she's out, maybe pilfering that line is all the rolling in they felt they needed to do.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I understand why they sanitized it, but I wonder if obscuring Calliope’s rape made it fly over the heads of people who didn’t read the comics.

The comic came out before the scandals happened so it seems eerily relevant now after Joss Whedon got exposed as a “feminist” harasser

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

I understand why they sanitized it, but I wonder if obscuring Calliope’s rape made it fly over the heads of people who didn’t read the comics.

As a non-comics reader, the intent of that scene was certainly clear to me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's kinda funny, cause my trade has the script to that issue as bonus content, and Kelley Jones drew it way more explicit than what Neil scripted :v:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been listening to the audio book and after not really rating it in the comic, I am now craving an adaptation of 'August'.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's kinda funny, cause my trade has the script to that issue as bonus content, and Kelley Jones drew it way more explicit than what Neil scripted :v:

I need to reread that - "Dream Country" is the TPB in question, and I don't know if the script is in any of the newer collections.

I heard recently in an interview or in a podcast (Alisa Kwitney, I think? not sure anymore) that Neil used to post his scripts online back in the day. Whenever I google for "sandman", "comic" and "script" these days though, I only find references to the movie scripts.
Does anyone happen to know of an archive of Sandman comic book scripts?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I wonder if they’ll animate Ramadan

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Dream of a Thousand Cats was dope.

This episode definitely reinforced that Sandman works better told as these fable-like, disconnected vignettes rather than trying to pull more traditional story arcs out

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I do not remember anything of the ghost detective story. I googled it to try to remind myself and recognized nothing. I must have read it though.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

I do not remember anything of the ghost detective story. I googled it to try to remind myself and recognized nothing. I must have read it though.

Sorry, my bad. In the middle of "Season of Mists", there is a one-shot (issue #25) about two dead schoolboys (Rowland and Payne). They later had a miniseries called "Dead Boy Detectives". I somehow got the title of the miniseries mixed up with the regular series.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
That also happened during the whole 'Lucifer is on hiatus' fallout I think, causing ghosts to roam the earth once more... or something.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Credit to the screenwriter

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1560693797700370440?s=21&t=VML1CAbijMIf0UGp-dl1Vw

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i want more animated stuff but god i did not like the look of a dream of a 1000 cats at all

Steve Yun posted:

i know some people are bad at watching tv, but anyone who misses it is either an idiot or gross weirdo. its extremely explicit what is going on.
also, i think sanitized is the wrong word. its pretty horrific still.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 20, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Thranguy posted:

Facade is likely impossible though.

I don't know about that. there might not be super heroes, but there's no shortage of immortals and demons and nightmares walking the waking world and stuff. all the elemental girl thing really needs is some supernatural affliction tied to the sun and egyptology. it would take way less editing than what they did to, say, 24 hours. like, make elemental girl a mummy, done

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DeafNote posted:

That also happened during the whole 'Lucifer is on hiatus' fallout I think, causing ghosts to roam the earth once more... or something.

Yes, that is why the dead come back. They can't stay in hell anymore.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The show as a whole is shying away from depicting graphic sexual abuse and rape. It goes out of it's way to soften the Unity Kincade thing (not that it makes Desire's intentions any less sinister, but it plays more as seduction than rape in the show)

I actually appreciate this, especially when you have other shows *cough*house of dragons*cough* trying to justify sexual violence on screen, where Sandman said "You get the picture we don't need to show you."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The show as a whole is shying away from depicting graphic sexual abuse and rape. It goes out of it's way to soften the Unity Kincade thing (not that it makes Desire's intentions any less sinister, but it plays more as seduction than rape in the show)

I actually appreciate this, especially when you have other shows *cough*house of dragons*cough* trying to justify sexual violence on screen, where Sandman said "You get the picture we don't need to show you."

Yeah like, I been harping on this a bit in thread but 24/7 changing it from everyone being forced to have an orgy together including the lesbian after getting a rape threat to what we got in the show just feels way better. It is still uncomfortable and can be labeled dubcon or something but its effective without being totally gross.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The scratch on his face is pretty unambiguous. In the book Calliope is much more resigned, the show paints a much more brutal picture without depicting it explicitly.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

the holy poopacy posted:

The scratch on his face is pretty unambiguous. In the book Calliope is much more resigned, the show paints a much more brutal picture without depicting it explicitly.

That detail really got to me yeah, especially like the juxtaposition of it and the glee he has when he sits down and gets to writing.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

The Voice of Labor posted:

dc death and marvel death having coffee together and deadpool being very confused over his affections because in the netflix audience poll that was the second most requested thing after dream/desire incest

Fingers crossed for Death as a DLC guest character in the next Mortal Kombat

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Dave Syndrome posted:

Sorry, my bad. In the middle of "Season of Mists", there is a one-shot (issue #25) about two dead schoolboys (Rowland and Payne). They later had a miniseries called "Dead Boy Detectives". I somehow got the title of the miniseries mixed up with the regular series.

Oh no, I've read all of the series. I just have no memory of this storyline whatsoever.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Dave Syndrome posted:

This issue was adapted for an episode of Doom Patrol, oddly enough. I think I’ve read about a Dead Boy Detective series being pitched and that wouldn’t be good for the chances of showing up in The Sandman. That’s the reason that John Constantine was off limits too.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Snooze Cruise posted:

i want more animated stuff but god i did not like the look of a dream of a 1000 cats at all

Its the same studio that did Undone, and I admit that took me some getting used to as well..
(Though nepotism prevents me from being too unbiased a judge)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Tequila25 posted:

This issue was adapted for an episode of Doom Patrol, oddly enough. I think I’ve read about a Dead Boy Detective series being pitched and that wouldn’t be good for the chances of showing up in The Sandman. That’s the reason that John Constantine was off limits too.

too bad. that issue was one of the few actual horror issues in noted horror comic the sandman. like, oppressive and unsettling from the start to the death in gym clothes finish. paine's hell of being slowly stalked by a giant monster through institutional corridors for all of eternity, talking still born babies, hellbullies, it's a surprisingly rich trove of novel scary and unpleasant things

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah like, I been harping on this a bit in thread but 24/7 changing it from everyone being forced to have an orgy together including the lesbian after getting a rape threat to what we got in the show just feels way better. It is still uncomfortable and can be labeled dubcon or something but its effective without being totally gross.

A subtle change that I noticed in that episode as well the guy who was consensually sleeping with the waitress' son originally raped him in prison. A good change in my book, a lot of what was groundbreaking/"serious" when Sandman was written would just come off as edgy now.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

selling himself in prison for a pack of smokes has some issues of structural consent, like hardly anyone sells their body for fun, but prostitution doesn't equate to rape. that's kind of a weird conflation to be making over a comic that has a vignette on temple prostitution

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

selling himself in prison for a pack of smokes has some issues of structural consent, like hardly anyone sells their body for fun, but prostitution doesn't equate to rape. that's kind of a weird conflation to be making over a comic that has a vignette on temple prostitution

I thought the line was that he'd been bought from a third party, not that he'd prostituted himself. I could be misremembering though.

edit: just checked the panels, it's slightly ambiguous but I'm leaning more towards more of a prostitution thing. My mistake. (also, lol that he got arrested in Gotham. I kinda miss the little DC things.)

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 20, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

I don't believe it's possible to have consensual sex in prison, even between inmates. Consent is not fully possible.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I thought the line was that he'd been bought from a third party, not that he'd prostituted himself. I could be misremembering though.

I recall it being something to the tune of "anybody could have him for a pack of smokes" which seems pretty ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

I recall it being something to the tune of "anybody could have him for a pack of smokes" which seems pretty ambiguous.

Yeah, I just reread the section and the exact lines are "He'd been hustling his rear end in Gotham, got picked up for knifing his pimp." -> "You could have him for a pack of cigarettes." -> "I did." (all spoken by the guy who was the chef in the show)

So regardless, dude was clearly not engaged in the safest and most consensual sex work, even before prison.