Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
As I "understand" it, shows written off like that become then property of the goverment so they could probably make them PD if they cared to.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No idea about the law or if that's a possibility but I very much doubt it would be for OK KO regardless due to the many licenced characters appearing in it.

The concept of residuals makes it seems sketchy regardless though, there would probably have to be a distinct agreement with involved artists and voices that addresses a PD release.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 19, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's worth saying that Disney is fine and not suffering from any corporate issues, and Viacom is as invested in animation as it was before Netflix and Warner Brothers poo poo the bed (which wasn't a lot, but it's not zero).

It's things like the demise of Fox and the ridiculous concentration of the industry into a few erratic corporations that's endangering animation, nothing intrinsic to Animation itself.

ConanThe3rd posted:

As I "understand" it, shows written off like that become then property of the goverment so they could probably make them PD if they cared to.

Put out a DVD set of Megas XLR, Joe Biden.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

man, really hosed to hear all the poo poo going on with CN/HBOmax/WB.

but as far as the larger convo about the fear of western animation dying, i don't think we need to go that far yet. i remember back in the late 00s when CN did that whole CN Real phase ( :barf: ), which was pretty awful, no doubt. but it was succeeded by somewhat of a new golden age with adventure time and regular show kicking things off and being influential to lots of series going forward.

well since you mentioned it, i will give a pass to plucky and hamton's VAs...

but the charlie adler/tress mcneil feud is kind of interesting. i love adler back in the day, but does he even do any voice acting anymore? it's been years since i heard him in anything relevant. in fact, i figured he willingly decided to stop acting so that he could instead focus on voice directing instead.

tress, on the other hand, still continues to appear in every goddamned cartoon series under the sun. i expect her to get higher pay in her case.

i dunno about that. part of the charm of ghost stories was that it showed up at a time when anime for older audiences was still kind of a novelty and was fun for the time. if it were released today, i think it would come off as more passe.

Adler apparently did a voice on the CG Rugrats reboot from last year so I guess he’s still working in some capacity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Adler

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1560574265367355394?s=21&t=zNkSG3RUIrbZ60EO4gQp5A

Ughhh, looking more and more like they’re really about to memory hole IT

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1560574265367355394?s=21&t=zNkSG3RUIrbZ60EO4gQp5A

As posted earlier in the thread even the show’s own creator has basically said piracy is pretty much the only way to watch it at this point. So yeah, I think we can officially call the series dead and buried unfortunately.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1560481696155217921

simply unbelievable, five Cartoon Network shows flat out winked out of existence, so that Zaslav can save a few pennies

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 19, 2022

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

They forgot to take down an episode of uncle grandpa

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
And the purge continues!

https://mobile.twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1560636313086599170

Dammit, I really loved watching those older episodes with my nephews.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I really don't think the shows are gone forever because of this tax law. I bought Megas XLR on iTunes last year in America. The tax law may not work the way we think it does.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Regalingualius posted:

how much could the residual checks possibly be on these shows that it merits banishing them to the phantom zone

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

how much could the residual checks possibly be on these shows that it merits banishing them to the phantom zone

is one number bigger than the other? if so gently caress em

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
All hail the genredom

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
OK hear me out:

Fan made Blu Ray boxed sets and merch.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well they're definitely not going to be tax-holing sesame st.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

readingatwork posted:

OK hear me out:

Fan made Blu Ray boxed sets and merch.

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/1560334393155076096

The future of streaming is every animator in Burbank selling you their shows on blurays or flashdrives off the back of a van.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

so the IRS owns Megas and Sym-Bionic Titan??

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Covok posted:

I really don't think the shows are gone forever because of this tax law. I bought Megas XLR on iTunes last year in America. The tax law may not work the way we think it does.

I have Megas XLR on iTunes too but I think that was an exception or something? It's certainly not available anywhere else.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now I'm depressed that Megas, a show so laser-targeted at me it's no wonder it got cancelled, was cancelled. Again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
does hbo get these tax incentives taking a hatchet to their film catalog too or is it just series

feels like there’s hardly any point getting invested in anything multi-season these days

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It does make me wonder how much damage Zsaz will do to the brand equity of HBO. If he really does push reality TV like Fboy Island and cancel a lot of the shows they have in the works early, then it will basically destroy the brand. Like, right now, they're still doing the Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings Live Action shows. But that probably was due to them being late in production and not staring women of color since CEOs love canceling anything like that when the time comes (see Batgirl and all the LGBTQA+ shows canceled by Disney when their CEO took over). If the next phase is a push to reality TV, how can HBO the channel keep subscribers? Right now, old contracts is keeping it from descending into that, but their streaming service will likely keep having purges since Zsaz hates streaming as a concept. Even if these shows pop up on Discovery+, it will lead to questions down the line of how the service is now shittier and more costly. Like, what will the brand equity of HBO be in five years under Zsaz? Every other channel he ever bought was slowly turned into a low-effort reality TV show factory that people keep on as white noise. And that will never beat the overwhelming power of YouTube and Streamers. His channels survive by Boomers still loving Cable, but the elite's love of OPEN ER UP means Boomers are dying off at 400,000 a year (at least that's the estimated projected worldwide death total from COVID for 2022). So, in five years, when cable is really on its last legs, what will HBO be if it completely abandonded streaming to be reality TV show cable?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

does hbo get these tax incentives taking a hatchet to their film catalog too or is it just series

Yes, remember this all started with them shelving Batgirl and a finished Scooby-Doo movie for the tax credits

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The sensible thing to do, is that if you want a property to be a tax write-off, you need to let it enter public domain, but nobody is going to let that happen because they will still want to cling onto IPs they will never use.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Yes, remember this all started with them shelving Batgirl and a finished Scooby-Doo movie for the tax credits

I assume it has to do with Hollywood accounting so movies that are a hit can be shown aren't in fact hits and thus studios don't need to pay taxes on them, or something.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I assume it has to do with Hollywood accounting so movies that are a hit can be shown aren't in fact hits and thus studios don't need to pay taxes on them, or something.

That's a different strategy. They offload company-wide unrelated expenses on a production, so its impossible for it to be profitable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Covok posted:

Like, right now, they're still doing the Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings Live Action shows.

Lord of the Rings is Amazon, not HBO.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tig n Seek is gone from CN's website and they have deleted tweets.

That's six Cartoon Network shows memory holed.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Covok posted:

It does make me wonder how much damage Zsaz will do to the brand equity of HBO. If he really does push reality TV like Fboy Island and cancel a lot of the shows they have in the works early, then it will basically destroy the brand. Like, right now, they're still doing the Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings Live Action shows. But that probably was due to them being late in production and not staring women of color since CEOs love canceling anything like that when the time comes (see Batgirl and all the LGBTQA+ shows canceled by Disney when their CEO took over). If the next phase is a push to reality TV, how can HBO the channel keep subscribers? Right now, old contracts is keeping it from descending into that, but their streaming service will likely keep having purges since Zsaz hates streaming as a concept. Even if these shows pop up on Discovery+, it will lead to questions down the line of how the service is now shittier and more costly. Like, what will the brand equity of HBO be in five years under Zsaz? Every other channel he ever bought was slowly turned into a low-effort reality TV show factory that people keep on as white noise. And that will never beat the overwhelming power of YouTube and Streamers. His channels survive by Boomers still loving Cable, but the elite's love of OPEN ER UP means Boomers are dying off at 400,000 a year (at least that's the estimated projected worldwide death total from COVID for 2022). So, in five years, when cable is really on its last legs, what will HBO be if it completely abandonded streaming to be reality TV show cable?

Did you brainfart / freudian typo the ceo's lastname ? like yeah his kill count is going to be decent but not like Zsaz's

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

Tig n Seek is gone from CN's website and they have deleted tweets.

That's six Cartoon Network shows memory holed.

God damnit I wasn’t done with that one! :argh:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The sensible thing to do, is that if you want a property to be a tax write-off, you need to let it enter public domain, but nobody is going to let that happen because they will still want to cling onto IPs they will never use.

They can still put the IPs in their asset pile while still doing the amortization scheme on the movies and series within them. So on paper they get to keep the property value even though they bulldozed the home and salted the earth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neeksy posted:

They can still put the IPs in their asset pile while still doing the amortization scheme on the movies and series within them. So on paper they get to keep the property value even though they bulldozed the home and salted the earth.

Isn't the entire premise of the tax write-off them officially declaring "this property has zero value"?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Covok posted:

IiRC that's specifically the exception because Megas was available on iTunes before whatever fuckery happened. So it's just a giant loophole.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Isn't the entire premise of the tax write-off them officially declaring "this property has zero value"?

Writing off a show/movie for taxes isn't going to affect the rights to the characters involved. The Batgirl movie entering the public domain wouldn't prevent WBD from making a different Batgirl movie at some point in the future, for the same reason that Disney is still going to keep using Mickey Mouse in things even after the timer runs out on Steamboat Willie.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Cattail Prophet posted:

Writing off a show/movie for taxes isn't going to affect the rights to the characters involved. The Batgirl movie entering the public domain wouldn't prevent WBD from making a different Batgirl movie at some point in the future, for the same reason that Disney is still going to keep using Mickey Mouse in things even after the timer runs out on Steamboat Willie.

Yeah, because Disney's ever going to let Steamboat Willie fall into the public domain. Let's be real, they're probably gearing up a big bribery campaign (if they haven't done so already) to extend copyright again.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pyroi posted:

Yeah, because Disney's ever going to let Steamboat Willie fall into the public domain. Let's be real, they're probably gearing up a big bribery campaign (if they haven't done so already) to extend copyright again.

They don't really have enough time left to do so, Disney's probably realized that trying to extend Copyright even further would be a PR nightmare for them, that and they also probably realized that Trademarks give them similar levels of control over their stuff and unlike Copyrights they don't expire as long as they remain actively used and protected

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, has there been any news recently whether Hilda Season 3 is still happening at some point or was the movie supposed to be the series finale (I forget if it was a Netflix original series or if another studio produced it)?

Speaking of Netflix, are any of the three shows based on the How To Train Your Dragon franchise any good out of curiosity?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

(Close enough supervising producer)

https://twitter.com/calwong/status/1560285510022533120

I'm having flashbacks.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 20, 2022

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Cuphead season 2 went completely Ren and Stimpy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Crossposting from the Adult Animation thread:

https://owendennis.substack.com/p/so-uh-whats-going-on-with-infinity

Owen Dennis, creator of Infinity Train, shared what he knows about the situation with his show.

Basically, this is 100% on Discovery as Cartoon Network warned them that doing this would ruin their reputation with creators and fans. Discovery didn't care. This was all supposed to happen next week to give creators and probably fans time to prepare but Discovery did it early and didn't tell anyone; Owen found out while he was driving home and his phone started going off.

As far as he knows, Infinity Train will be on iTunes, Google Play, Amazon Prime, Vudu, and YouTube to buy. He doesn't know how long it will stay but does believe that, if you buy something off of iTunes and Apple loses the rights to sell it, they won't take it away from you. He doesn't know about the other services.

Owen also doesn't know if he's being lied to so that he'll be quiet and stop bothering people. Apparently there have been phone calls and emails for the past 3 days with zero answers because of the merger. Everyone who would know what's going on has either moved, been fired, or quit. He also implies that anyone who claims to know what's going on probably doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

thelaughingman posted:

Cuphead season 2 went completely Ren and Stimpy.

Is that compliment or insult to the show?