Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

All told the value of those is insane. I would have gotten one if I didn't get into eurorack.

I got the explorer for approx 1/3 of what I got the OG for

I do feel restricted by the keyboard and miss a couple knobs but

honestly though, there is just so much you can do with it and the value (especially with the explorer) is insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wish there was a way to time quantise or something the arpeggiator. sequencing it from something else is ok, but it's too hard to do chord changes etc in time to keep the arp flowing smoothly.

and after using it for a while there are a few UI tweaks I would love to make - eg the know that changes the waveform is the same for osc 1 and osc 2 but osc 3 uses a different knob. you learn to get around this but given it's so intuitive I wish I went futher

my only other experience is with VSTs etc, but it's so satisfying just having all I want to do just there. gets my off my PC

creamcorn posted:

the poly aftertouch is def the signature hydrasynth sound imo, sorry to explorer havers.
it has polyaftertouch..

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.errorinstruments.com/a-65872343/error-modular/loopman-eurorack-black/#description

I have to admit that I want this, but, really, you need two if you want to do reel to reel and don't let's be silly I already spent $250 on a reel to reel cassette deck this year, another $800 is really pushing it. There's some cool FM radio modules out there to, for some reason. I could tape... the radio! PIRATE SYNTHESIZER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4I0Q-roV-g

echinopsis posted:

it has polyaftertouch..
maybe that was supposed to be a snipe at desktop owners

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe, but I believe even those desktop owners with the pads have poly aftertouch

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The hydrasynth is definitely a synth for people who love playing keys. it’s ability to be a very expressive keys instrument is where it shines

something that makes for some interesting playing :

because each voice has independent LFOs you can route keytracking to lfo speed so higher notes have a higher lfo speed for example, and then route poly aftertouch to reduce the speed of the lfo, but also increase the amount of lfo on the filter, so pressing the note brings an emphasis to the note due to filter lfo which is a unique speed to the rest of the notes and is slowing down

is it musical to do this? yeah kinda. it’s fun to play, but idk about fun to listen to lol

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Cabbages and Kings posted:

no i just have mush for a brain and forgot the smaller models have it lol. i'm happy they do, because it owns!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Welcome to the club, sir.

Make sure you join the discord: https://discord.gg/5EMWxpnj

Thanks! Yeah I've been stalking the discord for shipping updates for a few months, I need to actually tune in to one of the livestreams/meetups.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Achmed Jones posted:

I got antsy and called musicians friend; they're hoping that Korg will give them the go-ahead to start shipping on Friday. fingers crossed :shrug:

They told me Thursday, I'm at least half concerned we won't get poo poo but I'm still leaving some room for things to go well! :ohdear:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I am embarrassed to think about how much time I spent thinking about what you could do with 2-3 of these things in serial. From literally introducing a "delay" by recording something, rewinding and playing it back, to making state machines that could read information from one tape, take some action as a result of the sound and then.... I mean we can probably make an actual tape-based turning machine at this point? :allears:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I am embarrassed to think about how much time I spent thinking about what you could do with 2-3 of these things in serial. From literally introducing a "delay" by recording something, rewinding and playing it back, to making state machines that could read information from one tape, take some action as a result of the sound and then.... I mean we can probably make an actual tape-based turning machine at this point? :allears:

Ok, the fact that it also plays regular tapes is dope as hell, I think you could stumble onto some pretty great samples with that. That's going onto a long term neat gear studio wishlist

I'm also thinking that would be a fun project to convert an old cassette player to a DIY Eurorack module with solderable breadboard and adapt playback speed to cv input or potentiometer. I'm honestly shocked I'm not already seeing many open source projects for that floating around...

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'm also thinking that would be a fun project to convert an old cassette player to a DIY Eurorack module with solderable breadboard and adapt playback speed to cv input or potentiometer. I'm honestly shocked I'm not already seeing many open source projects for that floating around...

I had this same thought, and ditto about radios (there are a couple FM radio modules out there, and the nicest one I saw is $350 -- but lets you trigger tune and seek with CV, etc). Could make a whole "tape from the radio and then slow down the playback" workflow, etc, all based on knob twists. This stuff is dumb as hell and I want it all.

If someone made an easy DIY kit I'd be all over it, but I just don't have time/energy to figure this stuff out myself. Eventually I will have $350 for this tapedeck module though. I wish I'd known it existed when I dropped 250 on a reel-to-reel refurb TEAC deck. I like tape (just not in OP-1 form, as I found out).

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Thorpe posted:

Can someone point me to a video of why the hydra synth is so cool? I’ve watched a couple reviews and the controls seem really neat and interesting, but I haven’t ever heard a sound demo that wowed me.

Or don’t, I probably don’t need any additional synth temptation and just need to write more with what k already have.

I got mine partly because of the sound design possibilities, and partly because the routing/workflow is just about perfect.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Anybody who wants to dip their toes into Euorack soldering and DIY: the Music Thing Mini-Drive is a perfect first project and it's a really loving nice overdrive with cool feedback possibilities. And the Overload lamp on it is a fun addition to whatever blinkenlights you have in your system.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

https://www.errorinstruments.com/a-65872343/error-modular/loopman-eurorack-black/#description

I have to admit that I want this, but, really, you need two if you want to do reel to reel and don't let's be silly I already spent $250 on a reel to reel cassette deck this year, another $800 is really pushing it. There's some cool FM radio modules out there to, for some reason. I could tape... the radio! PIRATE SYNTHESIZER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4I0Q-roV-g

huh never seen a website that outright refuses to show certain things unless you accept all the garbage tracking cookies they try to foist onto your browser

Anyways the polyend tracker has a built in FM radio you can sample from directly and its very fun to mess around with. not terribly useful for the sort of stuff I like to make (unless I can find someone spinning some classic funk breaks over the air) but paired with the granular and wavetable playback engines it’s pretty ravetastic

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Sharps posted:

huh never seen a website that outright refuses to show certain things unless you accept all the garbage tracking cookies they try to foist onto your browser

I'm no lawyer but that feels like it might be a GDPR violation. They have language that a site shouldn't block content if a user declines cookies. But that's in reference to the entire site.. not sure how it applies to embedded content.

Kinda lovely regardless.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
opsix update:

Picked them up yesterday, didn't have a chance to unbox and play the "scratch-off lotto ticket" game until today, just a bit ago, and of the two I bought on crazy discount, both seem to be OK at least WRT out-of-the-box screen brightness and basic sound (through headphones). My main concern was screen backlight, so just wanted to see if that was dim/nigh-unreadable/unreadable out the gate, and both of the units I got seem fine on that front. This is the opposite of exhaustive testing though, FWIW. All that said, since one of them was bought with the intent of giving it as a gift, I at least don't feel I need to worry about the screen backlight issue some people have experienced on that one.

Also FWIW, just as two additional data points, both of the ones I ordered had FW 1.0.1 showing as what version was installed on the first boot of each.

Mine were purchased on/via Reverb, so hopefully others who bought via Musician's Friend, etc. get theirs soon and also fingers crossed for no HW issues...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If anyone in CONUS wants a 404MK2 for exactly what I paid plus shipping, get in touch. If this isn’t cool, i’ll wait until I get it to post an SA Mart thread.

I completely forgot I put a deposit down on one in my hometown at a DJ store, they called today and said they have it. I’ll be picking it up this weekend and I no longer want/need it (ill lose my deposit if i cancel).

Bonus points if youre near NYC and want to pick it up, but I can ship it no problem.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Not so happy OpSix (from MF) update:

quote:

Thank you for your recent order for the Korg opsix FM Synthesizer. We wanted to contact and inform you that your order is experiencing a delay in processing time, but that we still have your order in place. Additionally, due to the demand on this item, your item may arrive open box from our distribution warehouse.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us at 800‑449‑9128.

We apologize the inconvenience this may cause

So this is looking like a bait-and-switch:

Disparages the bait or its warranty, credit terms, availability of service, repairs or parts. - had a MF guy tell me these had issues, want to cancel it and look for something else?

Refuses to take orders for the bait. - pulled it from the site when they had a bunch of orders come in, still listing used ones at $600+

Refuses to make delivery of the bait within a reasonable time period. - never had a MF order take more than a couple days to process and ship, this has been processing for a week and now they're talking like they may not even get anything out by Friday when they expect Korg to get back to them. Guitar Center / MF are the #1 distributor of Korg in the U.S., having this poo poo sorted was on them before advertising it for sale.

Fails to meet anticipated demand for the bait without disclosing the bait’s limited availability in the ad. - very obviously

And taking orders for new synths then sending out "Open Box" units is very clearly a switch, no two ways about that, and not one about which we appear to be given a choice. This is some shady poo poo, however it shakes out. They do say they'll be accepting returns for units with issues under their 45-day return policy, so that's good I guess, but I'm concerned that what we're going to end up with here are Korg's returned units that already have had issues for other customers since it's clear MF didn't have stock for the sale and are now having to wait on Korg to try to fill these, after Korg has already blown out their stock via Reverb. Edit: They claim though that they will be Guitar Center demo units. Hoo boy.

I am not counting on getting one in good shape personally.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 17, 2022

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Agreed posted:

Not so happy OpSix (from MF) update:

So this is looking like a bait-and-switch:

Disparages the bait or its warranty, credit terms, availability of service, repairs or parts. - had a MF guy tell me these had issues, want to cancel it and look for something else?

Refuses to take orders for the bait. - pulled it from the site when they had a bunch of orders come in, still listing used ones at $600+

Refuses to make delivery of the bait within a reasonable time period. - never had a MF order take more than a couple days to process and ship, this has been processing for a week and now they're talking like they may not even get anything out by Friday when they expect Korg to get back to them. Guitar Center / MF are the #1 distributor of Korg in the U.S., having this poo poo sorted was on them before advertising it for sale.

Fails to meet anticipated demand for the bait without disclosing the bait’s limited availability in the ad. - very obviously

And taking orders for new synths then sending out "Open Box" units is very clearly a switch, no two ways about that, and not one about which we appear to be given a choice. This is some shady poo poo, however it shakes out. They do say they'll be accepting returns for units with issues under their 45-day return policy, so that's good I guess, but I'm concerned that what we're going to end up with here are Korg's returned units that already have had issues for other customers since it's clear MF didn't have stock for the sale and are now having to wait on Korg to try to fill these, after Korg has already blown out their stock via Reverb. Edit: They claim though that they will be Guitar Center demo units. Hoo boy.

I am not counting on getting one in good shape personally.

Yeah I returned my broken Korg warehouse unit yesterday and saw this about my GC order today. Considering just cancelling and forgetting the Opsix exists permanently.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

One of the last things I learned on my phone call w/ the dude today is that it's not for sure Korg will give full mfg warranty to open box items.

This is some ol' bullshit

Bout to just embrace some FM soft synths and give my controller a work out instead of pushing this stupid rock up the hill another day. I bitched enough about it that they gave me some store credit, and I got it from them in writing they'll take a return within 45 days with pre-paid shipping, so maybe I'll let them work their game here and get me one to evaluate the quality of in person, but I'm pretty soured on the good feeling I had initially "scoring such a deal." Wish I'd learned about it when Sweetwater was doing it, those cats are easy to work with all the way around and people who ordered from them have been getting them already too.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 18, 2022

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Agreed posted:

One of the last things I learned on my phone call w/ the dude today is that it's not for sure Korg will give full mfg warranty to open box items.

This is some ol' bullshit

Lmao gently caress this poo poo

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

posting again: if anyone wants to trade me their hosed up unwarrantyable op-six, PM

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Just putting this out there: If anyone has a cursed and/or possessed vector or pd synth, my PMs are open, and my exorcism rates are very competitive.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Google Butt posted:

Yeah I returned my broken Korg warehouse unit yesterday and saw this about my GC order today. Considering just cancelling and forgetting the Opsix exists permanently.

it exists as software :unsmith:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Matt Zerella posted:

If anyone in CONUS wants a 404MK2 for exactly what I paid plus shipping, get in touch. If this isn’t cool, i’ll wait until I get it to post an SA Mart thread.

I completely forgot I put a deposit down on one in my hometown at a DJ store, they called today and said they have it. I’ll be picking it up this weekend and I no longer want/need it (ill lose my deposit if i cancel).

Bonus points if youre near NYC and want to pick it up, but I can ship it no problem.

Wait so it’s unopened? What would you want for it shipped to NC?

I think they want an SA mart thread regardless but I may call dibs before then.

Edit: dibs for sure if I can, I’ve wanted one of these since they were announced.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 18, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

According to another retailer elsewhere the OpSixes that MF will be shipping out are still legally considered "new," and one can assume that Korg's warranty will be intact on them. What people who bought them on Reverb and have had issues have run into trying to get service for them is that Korg is telling people to either bring them to a service center, or return them for a refund if they have issues - and that they might be saying that the screens used in them are backordered and thus not serviceable, though other scuttlebutt is that they're actually not that difficult to source (or at least, exact work-alikes) and, being not even soldered into the board, might be pretty easy to swap out yourself if you're not worried about the warranty.

Kind of a mess!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rolo posted:

Wait so it’s unopened? What would you want for it shipped to NC?

I think they want an SA mart thread regardless but I may call dibs before then.

Edit: dibs for sure if I can, I’ve wanted one of these since they were announced.

haha, i was just down in NC. I’ll give you predibs, no problem and yeah it’ll be unopened though ill open it and snap some pictures so you know im not sending a brick in a box.

I’ll link the SAmart thread when i have it next week.

E: price wise it’ll be receipt total+shipping+fees and ill send the receipts to confirm. Absolutely zero markup/flipping bullshit.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 18, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Matt Zerella posted:

haha, i was just down in NC. I’ll give you predibs, no problem and yeah it’ll be unopened though ill open it and snap some pictures so you know im not sending a brick in a box.

I’ll link the SAmart thread when i have it next week.

E: price wise it’ll be receipt total+shipping+fees and ill send the receipts to confirm. Absolutely zero markup/flipping bullshit.

That’s awesome of you, thanks! I love my OP-1 but the sequencers stink for the most part. Having a fun jam box I can make beats on sounds perfect.

Regardless of all my gear, my favorite thing to grab off the shelf (especially if I’ve been drinking) is my PO-20 and the 404 seems like it would be another fun pick-up-and-jam device.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

I had this same thought, and ditto about radios (there are a couple FM radio modules out there, and the nicest one I saw is $350 -- but lets you trigger tune and seek with CV, etc). Could make a whole "tape from the radio and then slow down the playback" workflow, etc, all based on knob twists. This stuff is dumb as hell and I want it all.

There's actually a VST plugin called Radio that does this, but with internet radio stations.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I am having a blast using tides as a phase shifted quad lfo. I pick another mutable instruments clone in my rack and modulate the gently caress out of it. Kinda feel bad I don't own any actual mutable instruments modules but they're so expensive and big compared to the clones.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i’ve spent more time on patch 1 on hydrasynth than any other patch on any other synth, it truly is an instrument unto itself even without the macro knobs. with the macro knobs its an entire universe and far more than most people deserve

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

chaosbreather posted:

i’ve spent more time on patch 1 on hydrasynth than any other patch on any other synth, it truly is an instrument unto itself even without the macro knobs. with the macro knobs its an entire universe and far more than most people deserve

This and Ambisines. Guhh.

CatBlack posted:

I am having a blast using tides as a phase shifted quad lfo. I pick another mutable instruments clone in my rack and modulate the gently caress out of it. Kinda feel bad I don't own any actual mutable instruments modules but they're so expensive and big compared to the clones.

V2 Veils is a great buy if you're looking to snag some legit MI. My partner picked one up for my birthday so I could test against Intellijel's Quad VCA. Think I slightly prefer the layout of the Intellijel for patching, but the space savings you get with the V2 Veils is soooo nice. And it looks right at home among a bunch of Dreadbox chromatics. :3:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

yea I still can't decide if I made a great or terrible choice picking this thing to learn sound design on but I am leaning towards Great pretty hard because it's so goddamn fun

new gear crosspost

:toot: it works. Need a real voice in there and some other stuff. Cellz seems okay but probably goes away eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgUex9K0-5c

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Well, GC is cancelling my opsix order because it was clearance and back ordered now?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Opsix is dead

long live Opsix

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Musiciansfriend just notified me mine has shipped. Here's hoping that it's, you know, ok? That it works and such, friends. Though they did say they'll take a return within 45 days for any reason since they had to change it to an open box, prepaid shipping. And I got 5000 points for griping about how the whole shitshow went down. I highly recommend griping about how the whole shitshow went down, because it's stupid as can be for the number one distributor of Korg's products in the U.S. to take a bunch of orders without thinking if they could 1. sell them at that price, 2. actually fulfill them at all and then put the whole debacle on customers who get to wait for more than a week with their thumb up their, uh, nose

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Opsix is dead

long live Opsix

I was checking the inventory at the Great House of Guitars because I am going to ROC tomorrow and wanted to see if they have any used eurorack stuff listed

nope, but they DO have an OPSix

for seven hundred dollars

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
My nifty racks are now complete (including evicting chipz for better modules).

Just got another peaks (pique) and the temps utile today. I'm using the top 5 patch points on the cases as clock divisions so I mainly got the temps utile for random / euclidean stuff (and also to free up the O_C for more quantization / sequencing duties).

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

anyone have a module they want to love but struggle with?

The Oscillographic Block is my favorite module I own, on paper, but in practice I struggle understanding the interface, and I struggle getting sounds out of it I like. It's also a massive 36 HP. I'm tempted to replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Thomann US has OpSix for sale at $469, if anyone is still hurting for one but doesn't want to pay $750.