Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bugsy posted:

Hell yeah Xira rules. Fancy dress up is her thing.

You know, there's always this problem with 4c legends of like, "what does a creature do that's everything BUT blue?" Maybe they should just say "all 4 colors together do exactly what the other color does and none of what the 4 included colors do."

Like, let this dude cost 1WURG.

Do the whole cycle that way. Who cares.

e: Make a Baral that costs {W/B} {R/G}. See what the kids do with it.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I hope there's a new Angus Mackenzie

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

mcmagic posted:

It’s bad. Doesn’t affect the board at all and you have to minus to draw a card. If you play it on 4 you can’t even minus!!

100% agree with everything you're saying. Despite that, and for reasons I can't explain, I see myself hating this card in 6 months.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

commander precons list is out

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/dominaria-united-commander-decklists-2022-08-19

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Neither of them are looking particularly exciting to me, but at least I might be able to get a few monuments a bit cheaper.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

That Karn is absolute trash outside of some specific weird environment where A) an entirely artifact deck is top tier B) the format is very slow C) there also isnt good artifact OR planeswalker hate

Even if you imagine a world where they leaned into artifact big mana as much as ROE did for Eldrazi (which would be hilarious), it's hard to see how this is better to cast than many other 4 mana spells.

The two next sets are probably going to have a heavy artifact focus so Karn may be worth revisiting in Standard later but I'm also very underwhelmed.

I also think Powerstones may be more focused upon in Brother's War especially.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Oof, the 5-color one is all over the place, and that is not a great mana base...

Legends Matter seems way more thought out and committed to theme

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
At least it's a reprint for O-Kagachi.

Good thing people are going to be cracking CE boosters by the case for the Legends cards. I need the two box topper only kobolds and I need them to be cheap or it ruins the point of the deck.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 19, 2022

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Oh, has anyone seen any of the DMU Jump Start lists or Jump Start specific cards around yet?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1560693138603347973

lol i thought this was standard legal for a second.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Oof, the 5-color one is all over the place, and that is not a great mana base...

Legends Matter seems way more thought out and committed to theme

That definitely looks like someone's first 5C "cards I found in my LGS's dollar bin" deck. I'm impressed they thought of including one (1) Treefolk to let Murmuring Bosk be somewhat better than Indatha Triome once in a while.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

At least it's a reprint for O-Kagachi.

Good thing people are going to be cracking CE boosters by the case for the Legends cards. I need the two box topper only kobolds and I need them to be cheap or it ruins the point of the deck.

Yeah, I'm glad I grabbed the old Legends kobolds a while back for my Zada deck, because I could see them shooting up in price a fair amount

I theoretically want the new Sivitri Scarzam and Hazezon Tamar for nostalgia's sake, but I'm not sure how I'd build either commander deck in an effective fashion

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Bugsy posted:

Hell yeah Xira rules. Fancy dress up is her thing.

not gonna lie, always thought that was just a costume (edit: as in furry suit)

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 19, 2022

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Goa Tse-tung posted:

not gonna lie, always thought that was just a costume

I've always presumed she was the ruler of these guys

If you've got steel, can fashion be far behind?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

This garbage poo poo is the result of Sheldon/Gavin pushing the narrative that 2cmc rocks are ruining the format and that players should be punished for using them (this occurred in lockstep with players wising up that 3cmc rocks are bad and asking that precons have signets/talismans/diamonds instead of loving darksteel ingots).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Toshimo posted:

This garbage poo poo is the result of Sheldon/Gavin pushing the narrative that 2cmc rocks are ruining the format and that players should be punished for using them (this occurred in lockstep with players wising up that 3cmc rocks are bad and asking that precons have signets/talismans/diamonds instead of loving darksteel ingots).

you say this like they've personally taken you out back and whipped you until you bled

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

flatluigi posted:

you say this like they've personally taken you out back and whipped you until you bled

Deliberately filling your product with hot garbage that the majority of your playerbase has asked you not to just so you can smugly rub it in that they have to buy it anyway for the chase cards is an incredibly dick move and makes it harder to justify people supporting the format. Yes. It's incredibly petty and lovely and I take it personally that they do this specifically to new players buying precons to get into the format.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1560693138603347973

lol i thought this was standard legal for a second.

Enters tapped GTF outta here with that poo poo, the WUBRG deck is pretty crappy enough and doesn't need help on hobbling it. :laffo: It's also probably the first deck to NOT come pre-loaded with a Sol Ring. :suicide:

Toshimo posted:

Deliberately filling your product with hot garbage that the majority of your playerbase has asked you not to just so you can smugly rub it in that they have to buy it anyway for the chase cards is an incredibly dick move and makes it harder to justify people supporting the format. Yes. It's incredibly petty and lovely and I take it personally that they do this specifically to new players buying precons to get into the format.

I pretty much agree with this. It's very very obvious that R&D are super afraid of making something like Ur-Dragon again and then go so far out of the way to make new cards bend over backwards in their limited capabilities that you just kinda wonder why bother with it and go spend more money on stuff that was made more efficiently that gets more and more expensive just to make something remotely playable even in a casual setting let alone in a higher powered table, or God forbid cEDH.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 19, 2022

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

I don't understand how they expect 2 cmc rocks to be less played this way, like, how is making bad artifacts affecting felwar stone?

Obsidian Obelisk is a 2 cmc etbt rock like coldsteel heart and the diamonds, though, so it's not like lantern of revealing or bonder's ornament, thank christ.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Did people complain this much about the old 60 card beginner precons? Its a precon. Congrats, you've identified a weak card that you can upgrade

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

some of these cards are the exclusives in the commander precon

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Toshimo posted:

Seems like an implicit hint that new players should buy singles.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

A Moose posted:

Did people complain this much about the old 60 card beginner precons? Its a precon. Congrats, you've identified a weak card that you can upgrade

These cost a lot more than the old precons, and part of the deal was supposed to be that they were more playable.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna get some very salty wins with the esper walls deck in draft for sure.

Wingmantle Chaplain
{3}{W}
Creature — Human Cleric
0/3
Defender
When Wingmantle Chaplain enters the battlefield, create
a 1/1 white Bird creature token with flying for each
creature with defender you control.
Whenever another creature with defender enters the
battlefield under your control, create a 1/1 white Bird
creature token with flying

Academy Wall
{2}{U}
Creature — Wall
0/5
Defender
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may
draw a card. If you do, discard a card. This ability
triggers only once each turn.

Blight Pile
{1}{B}
Creature — Phyrexian
3/3
Defender
{2}{B}, {T}: Each opponent loses X life, where X is the
number of creatures with defender you control.

Coral Colony
{1}{U}
Creature — Wall
1/4
Defender
{1}{U}, {T}: Target player mills X cards, where X is the
number of creatures you control with defender. (To mill
a card, a player pu

Gibbering Barricade
{2}{B}
Creature — Nightmare Wall
2/4
Defender
{2}{B}, Sacrifice a creature: You gain 1 life and draw a
card.

Walking Bulwark
{1}
Artifact Creature — Golem
0/3
Defender
{2}: Until end of turn, target creature with defender
gains haste, can attack as though it didn’t have defender,
and assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather
than its power. Activate only as a sorcery.

{3}{W}
Creature — Human Cleric
0/3
Defender
When Wingmantle Chaplain enters the battlefield, create
a 1/1 white Bird creature token with flying for each
creature with defender you control.
Whenever another creature with defender enters the
battlefield under your control, create a 1/1 white Bird
creature token with flying.

Probably one or two unspoiled ones too.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

not gonna lie, always thought that was just a costume (edit: as in furry suit)

Not officially, in the Legends Cycle 2 books she is one of the main villains working for Bolas, along with Orca, above, and is definitely a bee woman.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

A Moose posted:

The 60 card precons didn't have unique chase rares. I didn't have to buy Rat's Nest as the only possible source of Umezawa's Jitte.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cactrot posted:

Seems like an implicit hint that new players should buy singles.

They don't do that. They just have a bad time and stop playing.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The 60 card precons didn't have unique chase rares. I didn't have to buy Rat's Nest as the only possible source of Umezawa's Jitte.

Not every single card in the deck is going to be a chase rare, so why would they need to be print 100 of them for every deck? If you want Izzet Signet go to your LGS and buy one for a dollar.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think I'm arguing something else. Reprint Fierce Guardianship at basic land rarity anyway, though.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Lone Goat posted:

Not every single card in the deck is going to be a chase rare, so why would they need to be print 100 of them for every deck? If you want Izzet Signet go to your LGS and buy one for a dollar.

Why do you want a product that's objectively worse than it has to be?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Same product, same rarity, but one has two upsides over the other? Am I missing something here? Like yeah they could be in different precons but signalling that one of the precons has strictly better stuff than the other seems like a bad move.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For me it’s good old fashioned spite I think.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tonfa posted:

Same product, same rarity, but one has two upsides over the other? Am I missing something here? Like yeah they could be in different precons but signalling that one of the precons has strictly better stuff than the other seems like a bad move.

They're both in the same one because they're the two cards that do what they do, redundancy in a singleton format means accepting second place

E: crystal quarry is from odyssey and cascading cataracts from Amonkhet, is why one is straight better. They knew they could push a a land a bit further.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 19, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Tonfa posted:

It's WOTC basically doing anything they can where they don't reprint filter lands, triomes, fetch lands, shocks etc etc etc..... And they HAVE put objectively better stuff in one precon over another in the past multiple times. It really shows when a precon is pretty focused on whatever it is that it's trying to do vs something like this. And it sucks. I really have been wanting to make some sort of WUBRG EDH deck that wasn't Slivers, or Morophon, or getting a second mortgage for making an Ur-Dragon deck.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Putting the two lands that make WUBRG, specifically one of each color at the same time, in the WUBRG theme deck is perfectly reasonable. It's the first reprint of both, as well. They're $10 and $5 on the secondary market respectively so it's pretty reasonable reprint equity or whatever.

It's what they should be doing in these precons, you buy the WUBRG themed deck, you get the two lands that can filter amy mana into WUBRG. They're fine.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Does this card actually work? Would the "legend rule" still apply (and also still take effect) to the original nontoken?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jiro posted:

It's WOTC basically doing anything they can where they don't reprint filter lands, triomes, fetch lands, shocks etc etc etc..... And they HAVE put objectively better stuff in one precon over another in the past multiple times. It really shows when a precon is pretty focused on whatever it is that it's trying to do vs something like this. And it sucks. I really have been wanting to make some sort of WUBRG EDH deck that wasn't Slivers, or Morophon, or getting a second mortgage for making an Ur-Dragon deck.

Najeela cEDH is what you want, also buy proxies

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the take away here is that you should always be playing formats that wizards is not playing attention to

don't play horizons (formerly known as "modern") and don't play Commander, otherwise you'll have to pay the wotc tax periodically or get pushed out

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

resistentialism posted:

Does this card actually work? Would the "legend rule" would still apply (and also still take effect) to the original nontoken?

The leaked release notes address this:

"If, while you control Cadric, Soul Kindler, you also control a token legendary permanent and a single nontoken legendary permanent with the same name, the legend rule will not cause you to put either one into your graveyard."

It works because it's weird as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Putting the two lands that make WUBRG, specifically one of each color at the same time, in the WUBRG theme deck is perfectly reasonable. It's the first reprint of both, as well. They're $10 and $5 on the secondary market respectively so it's pretty reasonable reprint equity or whatever.

It's what they should be doing in these precons, you buy the WUBRG themed deck, you get the two lands that can filter amy mana into WUBRG. They're fine.

Lol the deck doesn't even have a Sol Ring. Like theoretically even a set of Urza tron lands would have been a massive help if you're supposed to be filtering colorless into these abilities to fix into WUBRG, and Urza lands are dirt cheap! I'm just very disappointed I like the flavor of Jared Carthalion as a character, his Planeswalker abilities not so much, and the idea of making a non tribal WUBRG sounded like a fun challenge, but like at least give me a skeleton of a deck to work with here.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 19, 2022