Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You're kinda also relying on groups adding things like the .KORSUB. tag which, a big release yesterday went out unmarked.

At least the plague of the Dutch uploading everything they possibly could for decades with hardcoded NL subs is kinda over. Absolute refusal to use soft subs, those crazy Dutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I did it using a custom format and added the conditions, under the "presets" pulldown there are simple hardcoded subs and hardcoded subs and set those to negate. It seems to work on anything with *.HC.* in the filename so far!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Weirdly SRT subtitles streaming to my Chromecast Ultra have started transcoding to rear end (at least according to Plexdash?). It doesn't seem to be making any different in processor use or anything, it's just weird and stupid?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh poo poo, you need Plex Pass for it but they added in a feature to have multiple editions of the same movie (e.g. Theatrical/Director's Cut) in a way that makes sense.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/multiple-editions/

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 19, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

univbee posted:

Oh poo poo, you need Plex Pass for it but they added in a feature to have multiple editions of the same movie (e.g. Theatrical/Director's Cut) in a way that makes sense.

Dammit is that what today's update is? It's been daily updates all week but I've not rolled today's because a friend is watching something.

Will this work for someone like me who does dumb things like having a film in my regular library, then having a horror-host version in a Collection ie I have a MonsterVision collection for Joe Bob movies and I often have regular cuts of them too. i'm not sure if the Collection aspect will make a difference. Exciting though!

They also added the Genre filter to the main view recently too, not really that exciting but i never filter for genre really so it's nice to have it in a more accessible area.

With Sonarr updating it's minimum runtime stuff for newly aired shows due to the TVDB cache, it's been a good update month!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Oh nice now I'll be able to choose between the regular Super Mario Bros. Movie and The Morton-Jankel Cut.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It's not a super-deep feature, it's actually kind of surprising it wasn't a thing earlier.

Basically what you do to make it work easily is you name your files like this:

Terminator 2 (1991) {edition-Theatrical}.mkv
Terminator 2 (1991) {edition-Special Edition}.mkv
Terminator 2 (1991) {edition-XXX Nude Arnold Edition}.mkv

This has the effect of Plex NOT collapsing them into a single listed item automatically, using the above example you'd wind up with three items in your library that had identical metadata including name (so they'd all be called Terminator 2: Judgment Day).

Clicking through you see the "edition" tag at the top, and can further edit this in the metadata if desired. You can now edit each item independently if you want to change the name/description/poster/whatever. Also within each item's Plex details page there'll be an "other editions" listing that has the other editions you have in your library.

So you can definitely handle fanedits and stuff like that easily, the "editions" can be called pretty much whatever you want.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Neat, I appreciate the info and will definitely find ways to incorporate this into my library!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

EL BROMANCE posted:

With Sonarr updating it's minimum runtime stuff for newly aired shows due to the TVDB cache, it's been a good update month!

Do what now?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
For some stupid reason, I'm going through and cleaning up all of my 10+ year old anime instead of just deleting it. I have two questions:

1. I have some series that aren't showing up, whether because Plex didn't like "Ep01" style filenames and never successfully scraped the folder in the first place, or because I cleaned up a series and renamed the folder the files are in, causing Plex to delete the series entry when I refreshed metadata. "Scan Library Files" isn't going to touch any of the stuff I already did/fixed, and will just attempt to grab the folders that aren't currently scraped, correct? I don't want the series with manually fixed title matches to revert to their incorrect entries, for example.

2. Even though both anime tv shows and movies are on thetvdb, I guess my Anime library is just a TV show library and not a Movie library, so there's no way for me to make the correct matches to any movie titles. Is there anything I can do other than move all of those to a separate "Anime Movies" library, or just have them show up as generic unmatched entries in this library?

Edit: A workaround for #2 is that spin-off movies are usually also listed in the Specials section of the main franchise page, although that doesn't help for original IP theatrical releases.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 24, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Warbird posted:

Do what now?

TVDB caches it’s data so Sonarr is running off stuff that isn’t up to date a lot of the time. Shows on streaming services don’t usually have runtime info confirmed until they air and someone updates the entry. So say Show X just came out, someone will check it and add the runtime to TVDB, but Sonarr won’t know this until the cache is updated in the future which is often a day or so. Without runtime info, Sonarr can’t deduce whether the available files fit into the file size criteria, so it won’t download anything.

What now happens is, if a show is brand new and Sonarr sees episodes, it’ll just say ‘gently caress it, I don’t have runtime info so I’m just gonna guess it’s 45 minures’ which is enough for it to download brand new episodes of a new show a good chunk faster than it used to.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Anyone else get the email about the potential data breach? Plex pls.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

teagone posted:

Anyone else get the email about the potential data breach? Plex pls.

Yep I have a password program so all of them are unique and 2 fa enabled but I logged in, changed password and signed out of everything. Still kind of annoying!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, I have 2FA enabled. Did the reset just now. I'm lazy and didn't sign out of all devices though lmao.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The only annoyance there was having to sign into my plex server docker and then “claim” it, I don’t even remember doing that in the past, but it is all back to working fine again so no worries..

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Thanks, I probably would have missed the email. Not that they'd get far with the generated password I had.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Honestly, I didn't realize plex had 2fa so yay on this breach to get me to turn that on now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Personally I was just thrilled to see that I had a randomly generated password for Plex instead of the 7 letter word I used for loving everything up until about 10 years ago and haven't exactly been hyper vigilant about changing everywhere

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Honestly, I didn't realize plex had 2fa so yay on this breach to get me to turn that on now.

If you use 1password, it will tell you which sites support it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

priznat posted:

The only annoyance there was having to sign into my plex server docker and then “claim” it, I don’t even remember doing that in the past, but it is all back to working fine again so no worries..

I had to reclaim as well, but for whatever reason Firefox was not showing the claim button. Had to do it in Edge.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Got a cheap Optiplex 7040 off eBay. Its got an i7-6700. Swapped Windows for Linux and the plan is to migrate some containers running on my NAS. Is it going to be more of a hassle than it's worth for Plex to run in a container? I'd also like to run Jellyfish side by side for evaluation.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Just as an FYI, once I changed my password and reclaimed my server, I couldn't connect any clients to my libraries due to an "insecure connection," even though I hadn't changed anything other than my password. Rebooting the server hosting my Plex server fixed the issue.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Dr. Poz posted:

Got a cheap Optiplex 7040 off eBay. Its got an i7-6700. Swapped Windows for Linux and the plan is to migrate some containers running on my NAS. Is it going to be more of a hassle than it's worth for Plex to run in a container? I'd also like to run Jellyfish side by side for evaluation.

Containers take little bit to get your head wrapped around but they’re pretty hands off once you get a grip on them. The only reason I’d say not to do it would be stuff like hardware acceleration can sometimes be finicky with Docker Plex instances.

Fake edit: The Linuxserver folks have documentation about that now that seems to address that. Good for them.

https://docs.linuxserver.io/images/docker-plex

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I've been running Plex in a container on Proxmox for a while now and it's been solid.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Medullah posted:

Personally I was just thrilled to see that I had a randomly generated password for Plex instead of the 7 letter word I used for loving everything up until about 10 years ago and haven't exactly been hyper vigilant about changing everywhere

:same:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

How'd you do this? Every time I've tried this over the last, like, 6 months, it just logs me into a plex app, which tells me my server is disconnected. I'm going to http://myserver:32400/

I don't understand it either. You'd think, if I was connecting to my server, it'd do more than show me a plex app and say my server isn't connected. I can see my dad's server just fine, using the app served up by my server, which isn't (apparently) connected.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

cruft posted:

How'd you do this? Every time I've tried this over the last, like, 6 months, it just logs me into a plex app, which tells me my server is disconnected. I'm going to http://myserver:32400/

I don't understand it either. You'd think, if I was connecting to my server, it'd do more than show me a plex app and say my server isn't connected. I can see my dad's server just fine, using the app served up by my server, which isn't (apparently) connected.

try going to your "http://serverurl/manage". It should drop you in the login page.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any experience with Dolby Vision stuff throwing the error "File is unplayable. Color space is not supported."?

Looking on line it seems that it is intermittent and depends on version. One of my friends actually got playback that was all purple tinted and then LATER got the error. I thought Plex could transcode 10bit stuff down. Am I mistaken? This stuff SHOULD play if it's a direct stream, if we put transcoding aside right?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

try going to your "http://serverurl/manage". It should drop you in the login page.

Yeah this exactly. The server page looks like regular plex but has a lot more stuff to tweak in the settings.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, that redirects me to /web/index.html and then asks me to select a user.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

cruft posted:

Yeah, that redirects me to /web/index.html and then asks me to select a user.

Select yourself and then go to settings, should see a bunch of options

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

Select yourself and then go to settings, should see a bunch of options

Yeah, there are a whole bunch of options. None of them are related to my server. I also tried a claim token. Nothing.

Every time this happens I flit around with stuff for a few hours and then give up, destroy my config files, and re-register the server. Then I have to re-grant everybody's library access.

I'm getting really tired of it.

e: Yay, solution! Looks like it didn't like the network I was coming from, which was the LAN, but whatever. I set up an SSH tunnel to the host running the server, then connected to localhost, and it offered for me to claim the server again.

cruft fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 25, 2022

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
used a randomly generated password so I can be lazy and not re sign in to a bunch of poo poo :toot:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Medullah posted:

hunter2

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hey look at me, I'm making that joke.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I put on my robe and wizard hat...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

Anyone have any experience with Dolby Vision stuff throwing the error "File is unplayable. Color space is not supported."?

Looking on line it seems that it is intermittent and depends on version. One of my friends actually got playback that was all purple tinted and then LATER got the error. I thought Plex could transcode 10bit stuff down. Am I mistaken? This stuff SHOULD play if it's a direct stream, if we put transcoding aside right?

I've had nothing but trouble with DV stuff, I get a green tint using Plex on my Shield Pro direct playing local files. No problem streaming DV from D+ or other services on the same device.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

For me the green DV ended up being an audio thing.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Hey so I'm trying to download some videos from my library on the Apple TV app so I can put them on Plex. I've purchased these movies and I can download them onto my computer, but they are m4v files that have DRM on them. I've been looking around for a way to remove the DRM and so far it looks like most solutions cost money. Is there an app out there that can remove the DRM for free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Enos Cabell posted:

I've had nothing but trouble with DV stuff, I get a green tint using Plex on my Shield Pro direct playing local files. No problem streaming DV from D+ or other services on the same device.

The Plex client doesn't support recent color profiles used in DV or something like that, at least the support on AppleTV isn't current. I don't know the specifics. I spent a frustrating hour chasing error messages about HEVC and Color Profiles before realizing it was purely an issue with the client. As soon as I went to playback in Infuse, as always, it went without a hitch.

Warbird posted:

Containers take little bit to get your head wrapped around but they’re pretty hands off once you get a grip on them. The only reason I’d say not to do it would be stuff like hardware acceleration can sometimes be finicky with Docker Plex instances.

Fake edit: The Linuxserver folks have documentation about that now that seems to address that. Good for them.

https://docs.linuxserver.io/images/docker-plex

I'm fine with containers conceptually and in practice, I'm mostly just being cautious about the unknown/pitfalls of jumping from running a "real" install vs transitioning to a container. Example: Plex has an official Docker image but I would guess most people use the linuxservers one you reference.