Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah Mortuary Assistant gets a pass from me for that stuff because yeah the person has demons that are used in her hallucinations but also it isn't just one gigantic metaphor, there are actual real demons there too that want your delicious skinsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

dogstile posted:

Hot take for me: it's fine that characters have personal demons because I legitimately don't know anyone IRL who's not got something they're struggling with, even if they outwardly present fine.

The character in the mortuary assistant gets bonus points for being very on point with the dialogue.

"gently caress this I'm calling the police" got a hearty chuckle from me

Video games needed the equivalent of Laurence Fishburne saying "We're leaving." in Event Horizon

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's also a difference between 'personal demons' and 'yet again, it's just Silent Hill 2 but done much worse'. A character struggling with their problems is fine, 'the entire story was because you are a bad dad who kills' is extremely tired.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pope Guilty posted:

Video games needed the equivalent of Laurence Fishburne saying "We're leaving." in Event Horizon

Shadow Complex, a metroid-like initially released on the 360, is about investigating why a woman you met in a bar the night before suddenly vanishing into a large secret facility. First thing you do is drop into a large entranceway, and then have to find a way out. Along the way to find evidence of government plots and her role in them, whole big thing.

During the course of the game you get access to a gun that can create goo platforms (basically the gloo gun from prey) I don't remember if you need to wait for NG+ to do it or not, but you can platform your way out of the pit you fell into.

The protagonist then just gets into the car they drove here with and shrugs. "Plenty of fish in the sea," he says, before driving off.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Morpheus posted:

Shadow Complex, a metroid-like initially released on the 360, is about investigating why a woman you met in a bar the night before suddenly vanishing into a large secret facility. First thing you do is drop into a large entranceway, and then have to find a way out. Along the way to find evidence of government plots and her role in them, whole big thing.

During the course of the game you get access to a gun that can create goo platforms (basically the gloo gun from prey) I don't remember if you need to wait for NG+ to do it or not, but you can platform your way out of the pit you fell into.

The protagonist then just gets into the car they drove here with and shrugs. "Plenty of fish in the sea," he says, before driving off.

This is up there with the dog/ufo endings.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"Hit da bricks" should be an option in more horror games.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I think in the Path of Neo game, you can take the blue pill at the beginning and end the game right there. And Far Cry 4 has a good one that's opposite of "hit da bricks." The villain captures you and asks you to wait 15 minutes while he has to torture someone or something. When he leaves the room, the game prompts you to escape. But if you wait an actual 15 minutes, the villain returns, explains some of the plot of the game, helps you with your original goal, and then asks you to hang out with him and shoot guns.

Not horror games, but still fun.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I replayed my first love of horror gaming this month, and drew a map of it because I couldn't find any. You can play it in your browser nowadays, it is slow and clunky but a cool mood and worth checking out (briefly) if you've never seen it.
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1560633966159601670?s=20&t=P27SHRvJkFN03pgTR3_YSQ

It's definitely an old-game "die to every trap at least once" trial-and-error and some of the puzzles are nonsense, but it has some fun encounters too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yes.

"gently caress this, being a cop was a dumb idea anyway," Leon thinks as he turns around and drives away from Raccoon City

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Electromax posted:

I replayed my first love of horror gaming this month, and drew a map of it because I couldn't find any. You can play it in your browser nowadays, it is slow and clunky but a cool mood and worth checking out (briefly) if you've never seen it.
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1560633966159601670?s=20&t=P27SHRvJkFN03pgTR3_YSQ

It's definitely an old-game "die to every trap at least once" trial-and-error and some of the puzzles are nonsense, but it has some fun encounters too.

Really cool! You also reminded me of some brave/insane soul who tried to map out the mansion in Clive Barker's Undying decades ago. I wonder if it's still around?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Electromax posted:

That's awesome!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

evil within 2 has a solid example of this too, where you can run into a nasty ambush near the very start. turn and leave via the door you just came in and the pc will go “gently caress that” while he’s hoofing it

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Getting Barry to kill Jill's first zombie. Definitely a genre staple

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

They were going to put that in Spec Ops: The Line (either immediately after the first firefight or as an alternative to using the white phosphorous mortar), but they apparently took it out after playtesters didn't understand why doing that ended the game.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I think these ripoffs are the only ones that don't annoy me. Soulslike rips bring me no satisfaction at all. I'd rather play any of the old shooters over the boomer shooters being released. This genre though? I smile whenever I see the RE1 mansion with the numbers filed off. While going through Fobia I decided to start up Them And Us and this poo poo straight up comes across as a fanmade REmake mod, with RE0's item dropping implemented.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I started replaying Dead Space 3 about what feels like a lifetime ago. This game never ends. Honestly really enjoyed it past the ship graveyard and even a few hours into the ice planet, and was at one point thinking "this game does not deserve it's reputation. Sure it's not as good as the first two but it's got a lot of good stuff going on" and doing a little writeup to redeem DS3 in my eyes after I finished.

I am now at the very end and I can say with confidence. I loving HATE this game. I am an idiot for still playing it because I cannot remember the last time I had this much contempt for a game being such a piece of loving poo poo. I think I actually went easy on it when it came out. Everyone that dogs on this pile of crap was 100% right.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 20, 2022

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Disposable Scud posted:

I think these ripoffs are the only ones that don't annoy me. Soulslike rips bring me no satisfaction at all. I'd rather play any of the old shooters over the boomer shooters being released. This genre though? I smile whenever I see the RE1 mansion with the numbers filed off. While going through Fobia I decided to start up Them And Us and this poo poo straight up comes across as a fanmade REmake mod, with RE0's item dropping implemented.

At least try Dusk sometime, as it's very very good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Isn't dusk a boomer shooter?

E: I read that wrong nm.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
As a shameless fan of boomer shooters the boomer shooter renaissance has yielded a ton of super enjoyable Doom and Quake clones or spiritual successors and you should definitely give a bunch of fun, excellent $5-20 passion projects a chance.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
So far Madison is really good except for a couple of cheap jump scares. It feels good playing a horror puzzle game where the puzzles make sense

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

if i recall in the original snes clock tower you can get the car keys and drive off, but that'll trigger the ending where the scissorman was hiding in the car to kill you

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

if i recall in the original snes clock tower you can get the car keys and drive off, but that'll trigger the ending where the scissorman was hiding in the car to kill you

Yeah it was really early in the game that you could do that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Actually that's a really good way to handle it, I like the idea of being able to go "nope, I'm out" while getting a little more content and a reason for the character actually not being able to just do that after all.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In both RE1 (dogs) and Alone in the Dark (unknowable green force of evil) you can try to walk out the front door and get killed for your efforts.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

veni veni veni posted:

I started replaying Dead Space 3 about what feels like a lifetime ago. This game never ends. Honestly really enjoyed it past the ship graveyard and even a few hours into the ice planet, and was at one point thinking "this game does not deserve it's reputation. Sure it's not as good as the first two but it's got a lot of good stuff going on" and doing a little writeup to redeem DS3 in my eyes after I finished.

I am now at the very end and I can say with confidence. I loving HATE this game. I am an idiot for still playing it because I cannot remember the last time I had this much contempt for a game being such a piece of loving poo poo. I think I actually went easy on it when it came out. Everyone that dogs on this pile of crap was 100% right.

I never played Dead Space 3 and still have a shrink wrapped PS3 copy. Everything I’ve heard about it says that the game is not really worth playing solo. Did you ever play it co-op? I never got around to it because I couldn’t get any friends to take the plunge in a co-op playthrough
:negative:

Thinking of just biting the bullet at some point and just play it solo but your thoughts don’t inspire confidence! For the record DS1 and 2 are some of my fave horror games. Feels like an Alien 3 situation…

Boy of Joy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 21, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Alien 3 is a good comparison, there's stuff I like in both third installments even while they're a big step down from the first two. The big difference being Alien 3 only taking a couple hours of your time to get through and decide whether you appreciate it at all :v:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I've bought all the boomer shooters and I've only really stuck to Amid Evil and...Hrot. They seem to be shifting to the 1998+ era though and that is my favorite, so I'll probably enjoy those more.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

There were 2 car endings in fact. If you leave as soon as you encounter and evade the scissorman the first time then you'll get the ending where he's hiding in the back of the car. If instead you wait until you've seen Anne and Laura die, then you get an ending where you escape successfully but are found dead in your room 3 days later.

There's also a glitch ending where it's possible to avoid seeing one of Anne's deaths before getting to the garage. In that ending you escape and it just plays the credits without saying anything bad happened to Jennifer, though the game tracks it as Ending D which isn't any of the escape endings. But hey, technicality!

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Memories of playing Clock Tower with my cousin Marc in a dark room. gently caress those were the days.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Another fun thing about clock tower is that the game has a secret scare in it that I can only assume was either accidentally coded wrong or just partially dummied out.

There's a room called the trophy room that has a whole bunch of animal heads in it. There's nothing in there important to the game, the only thing that can happen is when you go to leave then a still-beating heart in a jar will fall off and scare Jennifer.

There's a wardrobe in there that can be examined but Jennifer doesn't find anything suspicious with it. If you are emulating the game, you can disable the sprite layers and find that there's some kind of husk of a body in there. Jennifer is just always in the way so she never comments on it and the player never sees that sprite.

HOWEVER

I forget the exact steps but I think it goes like this. If you trigger the heart scare, leave the trophy room, then go back in, and check the wardrobe, nothing happens. Then if you check the wardrobe a second time right after, this screen pops up.

Some spooky music plays but Jennifer has absolutely no reaction to it, doesn't comment on it, and just closes the wardrobe and walks away.

In the PS1 port, that thing comes alive and you have to kill it with a knife. The knife is also in the original game iirc but is only obtainable with cheats and doesn't have a use. The original version has the frames of it waking up in the data but the player never sees those parts when playing the game, only the first frame of the dead body.

I think the mummy in the PS1 version has a key too but I'm not sure to what or how necessary it is for progression.

Disclaimer that the pics shown are from a PC release that is, near as I can tell, the same as the SNES version but with a bigger screen.

Some real SMT "TURN IT OFF" vibes there, except like... real lol

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Boy of Joy posted:

I never played Dead Space 3 and still have a shrink wrapped PS3 copy. Everything I’ve heard about it says that the game is not really worth playing solo. Did you ever play it co-op? I never got around to it because I couldn’t get any friends to take the plunge in a co-op playthrough

Thinking of just biting the bullet at some point and just play it solo but your thoughts don’t inspire confidence! For the record DS1 and 2 are some of my fave horror games. Feels like an Alien 3 situation…

So i'd say dead space 3 gets a bit of a bad rap due to corporate meddling, even if it is clearly the weakest of the series. theres a couple elements that were added that add basically nothing to the game's enjoyment- fighting people is really dull, despite there being a huge element of promise with the idea of fighting three way battles, this is basically never realized and only happens a very few times in the game to minimal in battle effect. the actual people antagonists are really dumb in video game design ways- they always show up to take you captive so some dumb plot stuff can take place, they are never a threat in the game, and they dont evolve in any way combat wise in the same way necromorphs do. while your mileage may vary, almost every person i've heard talk about the game environment starts great and gets worse the sequence in space searching the destroyed armada is amazing, the actual ice planet searching starts decently and gets gradually worse, till you end the game in a dull research facility environment that has very little in game pizzazz to wow you with. the weapon things is another point, with some people hating to have to customize their weapons in any way, some who find it extremely easy and doesnt add any item management due to all ammo being shared, and some who despise the way the game offers you *premium* good weapons early on when you dont have enough currency to get them.

multiplayer wise, youd be missing out on the least id say. it is fun to fight alongside someone in the same way id think resi4 would be cool to co-op, and there arent a lot of in game missions you are missing going solo- while they do add some design neatness in that one character hallucinates while the other deals with reality and the real monsters running about, the bulk of the game is serviceable as a single player experience, even though there's definitely a "gently caress you" feeling when you come across two player only missions.

having slandered the game thoroughly here, i dont think its bad in any way, just not exceptional in the way dead space 1 and especially 2 are. the early sections are great, but dont hold through the same way DS2 does. the action is really solid, but the enemies they added to the series are among the weakest. the game tries to draw you into the plot more than "survive till you get to the idea that lets you win" with the resistance quest thing it has going on, but none of the characters really hit home in a way that allows you to get invested in their survival. it still has all the elements that make a good dead space, but everything has been watered down in a way that makes it not as fresh feeling. DS2 is my favorite action horror game of all time, but i dont think ds3 is a franchise ending disaster. id say in context of another horror franchise, its nowhere near as bad as resident evil 6.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Sweet thanks for the insight! Tbh I still kinda like Resi 6 even though it’s my least fave mainline RE game, so kinda looking forward to Dead Space 3 now!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I played The First Fear a month back and it was dripping with giallo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CuddleCryptid posted:

Oh yeah then there's the ending in Nier: Automata which essentially boils down to going left instead of right at the very start of a chapter, at which a point text scroll explains how the guy you're controlling decided to just leave rather than continue the mission.

This is a slight inversion to the usual fare in that this is extremely likely to happen to people starting the chapter.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Just don't play Dead Space 3. I played through it relatively recently with a friend finally. I had seen a full LP of it before which was where my original disgust started from. It'd been a while since I'd seen the LP though so I'd forgotten a lot of stuff aside from some of the big set pieces and the general flow. I was like, man you know what this isn't so bad at the start, but then it kept getting worse, so so much worse. The armada exploration being able somewhat interesting just sets you up to be incredibly disappointed as you start to realize that hallway you've just been through is gonna duplicated multiple times over in many, many different spots of the game. All the new characters are incredibly uninteresting at best and aggressively poorly written at worst. The actual worst part? They do Ellie hella dirty, absolutely destroying her characterization from DS2.

The two player co-op missions are neat and somewhat interesting even though the player 2 character is incredibly unlikable and hilariously generic bad dad stereotype. On top of that you realize despite how neat they are... you realize if someone isn't playing with a buddy they won't even get to see them. The outcomes of the missions are also very... ugh.

By the end my buddy and I agreed whole heartedly that it was pretty much one of the worst games we'd ever played together in many facets.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Fobia slapped. Its RE7 with time travel elements. Hard recommend.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

Fobia slapped. Its RE7 with time travel elements. Hard recommend.

Don't think I've noticed that one coming up, but that's a solid hook. Definitely wishlisting to follow up on.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Disposable Scud posted:

I played The First Fear a month back and it was dripping with giallo.

Not much of a surprise considering how one of the inspirations for Clock Tower was Phenomena.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Boy of Joy posted:

Maybe my post was a bit too vitriolic, because I was just finishing it up and was so sick of it. It's not totally devoid of anything good. It looks stunning even now and plays really well(sort of). The story can be fun (and obnoxious) at times and if you like Dead Space already the core of the game isn't a huge departure. The gun crafting is also kind of neat but half baked. If nothing else it has it's moments. But man it just wears out it's welcome to a degree that actually sort of pissed me off by the end.

Playing it solo isn't a big deal. Played it solo first, then with a friend when it came out. Played it solo again this time. It's piss easy with two people. it's also not all that hard solo (if you ditch the plasma cutter meta and just make op weapons) but I don't think the game adjusts anything for one player so it feels like there is 2x too many of everything which can be super annoying. Feels like you are playing it wrong, since carver only shows up in cutscenes and there's two of everything. What a dumb direction to go in, in a single player series.

The game starts out ok, gets strong and then just shits the bed with endless backtracking, copy paste rooms and non existent encounter design though. Necromorphs pop out of nowhere. it feels endless like it retroactively makes me want to play the good ones slightly less because I never want to shoot another necromorph atm. You must kill 100000 of them in DS3. Also every one of them is twice as fast and the new enemies are 4 times faster than in the old games. This often means the super close camera makes it so you cant see anything. it's so annoying.Most of the new enemy types are awful. The game just drags so hard after about 2 hours on the ice planet.

Dead Space 2 is still a GOAT masterpiece though and 1 holds up really well.3 is just like, it could have been so good but it's one of those games where you can tell everything went wrong in development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure I've said it before in this thread but the defining moment of Dead Space 3 for me was running into the weird raptor necromorphs from 2 which used to hide, distract and try and flank you, trick you into looking the wrong way, etc and all they do in 3 is run towards you screaming like every single other enemy.