Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Phigs posted:

Is ultimate General worth it if you like strategy games but could not give the slightest poo poo about the American Civil War, both in the war itself and the overall period it was set in?

Basically I'm happy to play a strategy game that really brings it or does something really interesting regardless of setting, but if the setting has to carry any of it I won't be interested in a civil war title.

Still probably yes. It's an interesting approach to that kind of warfare and drawing lines to order units around is satisfying. I think that if it wasn't trying to be historical it could have a slightly better campaign with a little more variety in the missions, but even as it is there's a decent range of different kinds of battles, though towards the end of the campaign it gets a bit samey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Mordja posted:

Gotta say, Sudden Strike scales up nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkUk4t9PsGw

For some reason my browser chose to play this in 360p and I thought it was a troll.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah panzer general was one of my absolute favs growing up. And the entire point of that game is to basically ensure the rise of global fascism with clever tactics. Super hosed up if you stop and think about it for even 1 second.

I had the same emotional reaction to realizing that i was blowing up brave baathist patriots in garry kitchen's super battletank

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I've bought Deserts of Kharak, and even though it was like 5 euros, I have some strong opinions about non-rebindable keys and game constantly loving with my view angle after cutscenes and exiting sensors (if at least camera zoom and rotate weren't so floaty).
Also unskipable cutscene during which game continues and rolls enemy carrier with whole army right on top of my carrier is :discourse: . Otherwise it looks kind of okay

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I couldn't much get into DoK thanks to the hard counter aspects of the units. I guess I just prefer soft counters or the oldschool C&C "all the tanks ever will overwhelm even the mightiest anti tank force" rush/blobbing ability.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The best part of DoK is going all in on the carrier's offensive power, building an air force, and just trundling over any enemy forces around

The second best part was figuring out at launch that Gaalsien's scout equivalents were broken as gently caress and rushing with like four of them to kill the Coalition's harvesters then use the battle carrier or whatever to lock them down and instantly win but they patched that ages ago

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

commando in tophat posted:

Also unskipable cutscene during which game continues and rolls enemy carrier with whole army right on top of my carrier is :discourse:

Lol I know exactly which mission this is because it happened to me the other day. It also helpfully checkpoints you right there, so you have to start the mission over entirely.

The game's vibe and comms chatter are really excellent, though, and I wish every single strategy game had something like Sensors mode (or Invisible Inc's equivalent).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like the COH3's North Africa campaign's gonna be shown off tomorrow, maybe with a release date if we're luck? Wouldn't complain about another playtest either.
https://twitter.com/CompanyOfHeroes/status/1546540674685845510?cxt=HHwWjIC-lZejtfYqAAAA

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wow I thought this was Italy only.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

V for Vegas posted:

Wow I thought this was Italy only.

I mean, the Italians were most successful in Africa so it’s not surprising

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sure enough, COH3 is out in November. Interestingly enough the African campaign will be a linear one, not TW-style map like the Italian.
https://www.pcgamer.com/company-of-heroes-3-is-coming-on-november-17-along-with-two-very-different-campaigns/

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Pirate Radar posted:

Still probably yes. It's an interesting approach to that kind of warfare and drawing lines to order units around is satisfying. I think that if it wasn't trying to be historical it could have a slightly better campaign with a little more variety in the missions, but even as it is there's a decent range of different kinds of battles, though towards the end of the campaign it gets a bit samey.

I love playing as the union and being unable to bring manpower advantages to bear.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm sick of the cowards I command running away from a fight. I'll have them tried for desertion and shot.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tankbuster posted:

I love playing as the union and being unable to bring manpower advantages to bear.

I love it when the Confederates just sort of summon more men from nowhere!!!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
As somebody who still plays a poo poo ton of CoH2 I am excited for CoH3.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ultimate general is fun but its campaign layer is...well, why is the gettysburg campaign even happening when I just basically annihilated the ANV at antietam half an hour ago?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Reiterpallasch posted:

ultimate general is fun but its campaign layer is...well, why is the gettysburg campaign even happening when I just basically annihilated the ANV at antietam half an hour ago?

It's a video game- it has a series of scenarios with a persistent army, there are plenty of strategic level ACW games if you want that.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Dartis finally managed to make a game whose campaign layer is worse than CA's.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

What in the Fortnite is this garbage?

CoH3 more like DoW3

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

davecrazy posted:

As somebody who still plays a poo poo ton of CoH2 I am excited for CoH3.
Bring back the Eastern front imob

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Flipswitch posted:

Bring back the Eastern front imob

They can piss off Russia as much as they want now!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

davecrazy posted:

What in the Fortnite is this garbage?

CoH3 more like DoW3

Lol, this is mild compared to the anime skins for COH2.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah didn't SEGA do a cross promotion with one of the Valkyria Chronicles games or something?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This looks pretty neat. Sounds like it'll be a sort of Age of Mythology-inspired RTS set around the Northern Crusades. Graphics look kinda Warcrafty tho.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328990/Godsworn/

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

generic crusaders with generic angelic backup VS vikings with marvel's asgard 'baltic pagans' is not thrilling me as an initial hook

comes across like they wanted teutons VS vikings early on then realised that's the wrong set of atrocities for the bucket helm pricks to be doing, but didn't want to throw out the concept art they'd finished either

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

Dartis finally managed to make a game whose campaign layer is worse than CA's.

I never got far into it. But the historical battles are dope.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mordja posted:

This looks pretty neat. Sounds like it'll be a sort of Age of Mythology-inspired RTS set around the Northern Crusades. Graphics look kinda Warcrafty tho.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328990/Godsworn/
Judging from the videoclips, it definately looks to be close to WC3 in terms of gameplay, but a bit more "lethal" if that makes sense. I personally prefer the more intuitive and chonky combat of the cnc series, but ill keep an eye on this one.

Assessor of Maat posted:

generic crusaders with generic angelic backup VS vikings with marvel's asgard 'baltic pagans' is not thrilling me as an initial hook

comes across like they wanted teutons VS vikings early on then realised that's the wrong set of atrocities for the bucket helm pricks to be doing, but didn't want to throw out the concept art they'd finished either

Sir this is a game thread

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 5, 2022

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

GyverMac posted:

Sir this is a game thread

yeah that's why I'm complaining about aesthetic decisions in a videogame here you halfwit

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Has anyone here played Fantasy General II? If so how did they find it? I picked it up and after some initial missions I feel kinda 50/50 on it? There's something about it I am either not used to yet or just am not agreeing with, though I think it'll take more playing to find out what. Perhaps it a bit more going through the Invasion campaign to really get into it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Closest thing we're gonna get to a new C&C game, I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGMqlbWM1Ys
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1486920/Tempest_Rising/
Real close.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
3D Realms, whoa.

And yeah, that's very C&C.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Very Tiberian Sun. We'll see how it does, I suppose.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah that ad definitely caught my eye

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I noticed Shadow Empire is :10bux: on GOG, which seems pretty darn good, except... well it's a Slitherine-produced title, is it unofficially abandoned, or about to get a bunch of overpriced DLC or something?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The dev is still working on it and adding naval stuff so not abandoned at all. Great game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

doctorfrog posted:

I noticed Shadow Empire is :10bux: on GOG, which seems pretty darn good, except... well it's a Slitherine-produced title, is it unofficially abandoned, or about to get a bunch of overpriced DLC or something?

None of the above. It's still in active development with everything so far having been added for free. It's definitely a groggy title, but if you like very heavily logistics-based 4X/strategy games, it's good.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty poo poo at strategy games, but this one looks like something pretty special to be bad at.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

doctorfrog posted:

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty poo poo at strategy games, but this one looks like something pretty special to be bad at.

If it looks interesting to you, go for it. It's actually one of the funner games I've played lately and I think the genre being niche is the only reason it's not a bigger hit.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Shadow Empire owns. Go to their janky rear end official forums and download the card art mod, the artist is loving fantastic and it's a huge step up from programmer art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

In Shadow Empires, it's pretty easy to deadlock your economy on the very first turn. I forget what the recommended build order is to get started.