Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i think none dollars if they get cancelled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

Yes, I am curious as to what socioeconomic conditions led to it. Like Starcraft came out right around the time there was the asian financial collapse and you had educated people playing this weird US game with no localization in PC cafes.

Seriously, I'm curious too because I would loving prefer kids being into Tekken or StarCraft than the god awful carrom board culture that every kid is playing in every street corner in Nepal.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cuttlefush posted:

i think none dollars if they get cancelled?

:hmmyes:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ughhhh posted:

Seriously, I'm curious too because I would loving prefer kids being into Tekken or StarCraft than the god awful carrom board culture that every kid is playing in every street corner in Nepal.

Eh, carrom is fun with friends.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Lollontee, it sounds like you're still really angry about your 12 hour probe. You're free to express that, and people have requested that you be allowed to post through it. I was hoping you had a chance to catch your breath, but it looks like time hasn't helped :(. I'm not going to chill here and litigate my moderation style, but if you have concerns you can always reach out to Az and communicate them to him.

I have to go to work, but my hope is that, when you get some space from the 12 hour probe, you'll feel a little better about my decision. Ultimately, some of your friends had some good points about the probe being necessary, and I'll make sure to respect their opinions on this. I hope your Friday is good!

You type like a 40 year old man trying to befriend a teenager on discord

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ughhhh posted:

What's so bad about that? Just boring?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/19/china/chinese-tycoon-xiao-jianhua-sentenced-intl-hnk/index.html

quote:

Chinese-Canadian tycoon Xiao Jianhua sentenced to 13 years in prison

Xiao and his company Tomorrow Holdings were convicted of crimes involving tens of billions of dollars, including illegally absorbing public deposits, betraying the use of entrusted property, illegal use of funds and bribery, the Shanghai First Intermediate Court said in a statement.
The court also fined Xiao 6.5 million yuan ($950,000) and Tomorrow Holdings 55 billion yuan ($8.1 billion).

"The criminal acts of Tomorrow Holdings and Xiao Jianhua seriously damaged the financial management order, seriously endangered the country's financial security, seriously infringed on the integrity of the state staff, and should be severely punished according to law," the court said.

But it added that Xiao and Tomorrow Holdings have "turned themselves in, confessed their crimes and helped with the recovery of assets," and thus can receive a more lenient punishment.

Nice, dude.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lollontee posted:

really? but i need them to know that i personally hate them

oh I totally get it. I’m just saying there's good guys on all sides.

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

my brother didn't even know how to pronounce uyghur or xinjiang

I can't be upset about this cause gun to my head I’m not sure I'd get Xinjiang right either, and I've listened to clips about it for years at this point. the first time I read it I guessed at the pronunciation and every time I read it that's the pronunciation I hear

Internet Poster
Nov 1, 2020

China

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

indigi posted:

I can't be upset about this cause gun to my head I’m not sure I'd get Xinjiang right either, and I've listened to clips about it for years at this point. the first time I read it I guessed at the pronunciation and every time I read it that's the pronunciation I hear

it isnt a big deal of course but it was funny in the context of smugly mocking this crazy old man who loves China for not being a shithole

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

indigi posted:

it's pronounced

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
NHD is cool and my friend, stop bullying them >:(

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

it's pronounced

If I drop this pronunciation at my next pool party and I get made fun of I'm gonna send so many unhinged pms.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

unwantedplatypus posted:

You type like a 40 year old man trying to befriend a teenager on discord

that’s uncalled for and is bad for the nhd

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

Eh, carrom is fun with friends.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What's so bad about that? Just boring?

It's gotten a really bad gambling culture going along with it sorta like pool sharks but kinda violent at times. Carrom is fun during family gatherings sure, but it's not what it is anymore I guess.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ughhhh posted:

It's gotten a really bad gambling culture going along with it sorta like pool sharks but kinda violent at times. Carrom is fun during family gatherings sure, but it's not what it is anymore I guess.

Makes sense. I'm guessing carrom culture has spectators? I can't imagine watching other people play board games is fun without gambling.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ughhhh posted:

Boy do I have news about gambling related to videogames.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Makes sense. I'm guessing carrom culture has spectators? I can't imagine watching other people play board games is fun without gambling.

Its like pool but with tiny hockey pucks instead of balls and your fingers instead of a pool cue. Not really a Board Game.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I have watched 1000 hours of a poker player playing Slay The Spire at the highest level possible. People will watch everything.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Genocide is the new WMD. You're getting bamboozled into supporting war again!"

probably doesn't work on people under 30, though :corsair:

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

oh I totally get it. I’m just saying there's good guys on all sides.

(Charlie) Sheen (ABCDEF) G (I smoke weed out of a b) ong

Sheen G Ong

Xin Jiang

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

none of that is exactly right but if I told you how to do it exactly right you'd be further away than saying that when you tried it, like "the SH sound but keep your teeth together with the vowel, lips wide do not make the lips into an O shape" or whatever the gently caress X is in mandarin

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

You should tell people to pronounce it Sheng-Ji Yang, and they should google that instead.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
ok so i don't know if we ever resolved whether the tiananmen square widow survivor was hot or not, but the new CPC white paper on taiwanese reunification is interesting

original document at very bottom of following webpage

https://english.www.gov.cn/archive/whitepaper/202208/10/content_WS62f34f46c6d02e533532f0ac.html

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 01:56 on Aug 20, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

lollontee i think youre not grasping that the reason people defended you against the probation was because youd mostly stopped being annoying by that point if you start being annoying again as soon as you get back youre kind of implying that it was a good idea to probate you

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

What if China saved the world and nobody noticed?

https://www.theage.com.au/environment/climate-change/what-if-china-saved-the-world-and-nobody-noticed-20220818-p5bavz.html

quote:

But the coal haze has obscured a more crucial truth about China’s energy expansion. If pending US efforts on renewable energy are extraordinary, the revolution under way in China is truly staggering. Last year the US boasted that it was on track to deploy about 30 gigawatts of new renewables. In China, the figure could be as hight as 180 gigawatts. Last year China alone accounted for 46 per cent of the world’s new construction of renewable energy infrastructure.

Last week Bloomberg NEF reported that China’s renewables investment for the first half of 2022 included large-scale solar totalling $US41 billion – up 173 per cent from the year before – and investment in new wind projects increasing by 107 per cent year-on-year to $US58 billion.

This is not a product of altruism; President Xi Jinping is doing it because he intends that China will dominate the critical industries of the future.

As international energy analyst Tim Buckley puts it, while China leads the world in coal use, it also leads the world in “wind and solar installation, in wind and solar manufacturing, in electric vehicle production, in batteries, in hydro, in nuclear, in ground heat pumps, in grid transmission and distribution, and in green hydrogen. They literally lead the world in every zero-emissions technology today.”

And though China has not yet ended its own coal addiction, it is making serious moves to curtail the industry. Last year Xi surprised the world with an announcement at the United Nations that it would stop funding offshore coal power stations, effectively knocking out 70 per cent of the flow of global investment into the industry.

“China will step up support for other developing countries in developing green and low-carbon energy, and will not build new coal-fired power projects abroad,” Xi said in a pre-recorded video. Since then, no new coal finance has flowed into China’s vast global Belt and Road infrastructure projects.

quote:

“There are no climate deniers in China, or at least no climate deniers who are allowed to have a voice,” McGregor says. “You can tell that very easily because China’s official media is not full of people denying climate change. The Propaganda Ministry doesn’t allow voices which question science.”

:sickos:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The loss guy?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wrong thread

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

wtf a positive story about china in an australian newspaper!?! about the environment!?!?!?!?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

multiple retardant lancher system

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

Multiple retardants launch system

Homeless Friend posted:

multiple retardant lancher system

Hive mind strikes again

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
also some extremely Normal posting going on on this page

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://www.newsweek.com/strongest-magnet-ever-recorded-china-1735243

quote:

The Steady High Magnetic Field Facility (SHMFF) in Hefei, China, recorded a field strength of 45.22 Tesla (T) on August 12 from its high-powered hybrid magnet.

The previous record was set in 1999 at MagLab in the U.S., which measured a stable magnetic field at 45 T.

wrap it up western angloid failures

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

quote:

And the scope of the package is extraordinary. Its various measures will channel $US370 billion ($535 billion) into programs that, if successful, will see the creation of 60 gigawatts of new renewable energy capacity a year, doubling the amount deployed last year

how many centuries will it take renewables to fulfill anerica’a current 4220 terawatt thirst

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

how many centuries will it take renewables to fulfill anerica’a current 4220 terawatt thirst

that's terawatt-hours so depending on the capacity factor anywhere between too long and far too long

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

NHD, go back to the Glenn thread. lollontee, touch grass. Both of you are being embarrassing. Azathoth, mod literally anyone else, even AnimeIsTrash. Thread, return to exulting Xi Jinping thought. Thank you.

owns

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1560833315560894464?s=20&t=z65rWoRr2lplsy-8VOE3wg

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

if they had freedom they’d have ruby ridged the homeowner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
youve all probably (not) dropped the subject and moved on but i'll just drop it anyway cause 10 pages ago you were discussing a 2nd/3rd hand witness account told once by a supposed on site witness to the Tiananmen Square EVENT. It'll add nothing to anything but I just wanna say it so whatever

when i was 14 or 15, so about 15-16 years ago, I had to tag along to a dinner with my mothers friends and their families and at one point China became a subject(probably because of something cool and good that was twisted into evil communism doings) and it turned out one of them had been in Beijing at the time. Her account of events was that they had been told they should probably stay at the hotel after dark(not just this night but the week leading up to it) and that the night seemed fairly uneventful except for a bunch of fireworks, she said shrugging as if it mightve actually been gunshots but they had thought nothing of it at the time, it wasnt until the next few days where it was told to them, through western media and other westerners, that there had been a massacre, that they thought anything of that night in particular.

At the dinner this wasn't discussed as if the massacre didnt happen, but recalling it I think she kind of doubted that it happened as told by media but didn't want to bring on any scorn by saying she didn't believe it, i seem to recall her trying to drop the subject and move on, not because of trauma or anything but she did seem uncomfortable talking about it.

I'd ask her but I havn't seen her for 3-4 years at this point.