Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

PITY BONER posted:

Questions for those who have taught in Japan:

It seems common that an EFL teacher is spread among 3-X schools (especially if one is working in a rural area). I remember (on another site) one woman said she went to seven different schools in a regular week. How does that work? Are you expected to create lesson plans and/or curriculum for a bunch of different skill levels and keep track of 15 different classrooms? Or is it similar to China where there's often a bunch of pre-made materials that you're supposed to use, so half the job is to show up and use what you have?

I've looked at some job postings (but not deeply) for Japan, and they were all like "must speak basic-to-intermediate Japanese, be willing to buy a car out of pocket (we will pay your gasoline up to the exact distance we have calculated it costs to go between schools), pay your own way to Japan, figure out your apartment situation, work at four different schools, and create amazing super duper lesson plans that bring your students into the next level of English skill. $1900 USD per month." Are these outlier situations, or is this more common?

I remember on a YouTube video (Mrs. Eats, or maybe her husband's channel), the guy was saying that there's no upward mobility while teaching there because of how the Japanese system works: if you switch companies, you always start at the bottom-rung salary. Unlike other places, where your years of experience can help you bounce into a higher-paying job/school, it seems like Japan has a reset button when you move around. Is that really the case?

I am an ESL teacher with 10 years experience. Mainly in Korea, but I have also done my time in China and Japan. have worked in Japan twice. Once 15 years ago at a private school for mainly adults, (that went bankrupt whislt I was working for them and owe me 2 months pay I will never see), and now where I work at public schools and have 2 JHS, 2ES, 2 Nursery Schools and a weekly Adults class at the town hall.

For your first question: Yes. I am expected to create plans for and manage all these different classes for all these different levels. And the reason I can do this is because I am out in the semi-countryside. My schools are all very small. With only one class per grade level, and with mostly 15-20 kids per class. One of my year 5 classes only has 10 kids in it. Also I am an ALT, (Assistant Language Teacher), meaning I co-teach with the actual English teacher. Which reduces my workload/responsibility quite a bit.

For your second question: Yeah I have seen those ads too, and applied for a couple before settling on the job I have. My opninion, (and take it with grain of salt seeing how little experience I have), is that most of those are private academies/ekaiwas. And your mileage will always vary with these all over the world. (I have mostly taught in public schools, but both of the private companies I have worked for, 1 in Korea 1 in Japan, owe me money. And have heard worse stories about various hagwons in Korea, and Happy Giraffe style schools in China/Taiwan etc.) So for jobs like that, so long as you know what you are getting into. My rule of thumb is I will not even look at a job that is not prepared to offer me at least help with accomodation, and at least partial flight re-imbursment. Also coz I am a lazy bastard, I like having 2 days off a week, and at least 10 days off a year. My last hagwon job in Korea tried to make me claim Saturdays and Sundays as part of those 10.

For your third question: Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I don't know and have no experience of it. My m.o. is spend 2-3 years in a place. Then leave after completing the contract, go home and spend a month or two looking for/getting a visa for my next job and away I go. So upward mobility within a position/greater salary is not something I know anything about.

I hope these answers help. I am sorry if they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Grand Fromage posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/NineDragons2/status/1559743259412496386

This is a good one too:

https://twitter.com/GearoidReidy/status/1560508475939389440

I'll be honest, they got me at first too. I thought it was a local Daiso branch or something.

lol the ship name itself means "far watch 5" lol?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Miniso always tried hard to scrub it's Chinese origin in the stores in HK, but the Wikipedia article has a bit of a burn now:

quote:

The company claims that Japanese designer Miyake Junya co-founded Miniso,[13] although local media reports in China and Japan have questioned Junya's existence.[14][15][16] The company initially claimed to be a famous Japanese brand, despite operating in Mainland China under Chinese company Aiyaya with no outlets in Japan,

It's an interesting company for the gigantic investment it has, the stores have rapidly grown in number and the amount of stock is very high.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 20, 2022

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Why wouldn't they just ignore any criticism and keep chugging along?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
reminds me of that chinese mattress company that turned a random old white guy into the face of the company

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Charles Bukowski posted:

It means the CEO was invited for a polite chat with a CCP official. Usually along the lines of "you have hurt the feelings of the Chinese people, change your ways or we will." Any large company has to host CCP officials and follow party orders, otherwise they will forcibly take ownership and kick you out.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 20, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Stink Billyums posted:

reminds me of that chinese mattress company that turned a random old white guy into the face of the company

boss coffee of japan (like, actually of japan) did this but for tommy lee jones as the random old white guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOgowZe14U8

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
There's also Superdry, a UK company that tries to sell itself as being Japanese.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
And let's not forget Häagen-Dazs.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Criss-cross posted:

There's also Superdry, a UK company that tries to sell itself as being Japanese.

this got posted twice and twice i was like "i'm pretty sure asahi beer is a japanese thing" but apparently superdry is clothing. literally have never seen one of these, are they just british

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MrMoo posted:

It means the CEO was invited for a polite chat with a CCP official. Usually along the lines of "you have hurt the feelings of the Chinese people, change your ways or we will." Any large company has to host CCP officials and follow party orders, otherwise they will forcibly take ownership and kick you out.

I like that except that the CCP is doing it. That should be the way it is if any company isn't putting the needs of humanity before profits.

Also superdry is very popular, you've probably seen it without realizing it bald avatar man that hasn't seen fashion

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Charles Bukowski posted:

China is currently very mad about Japan and removing anything at all Japan-related is happening all over the country.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Olympus posted:

this got posted twice and twice i was like "i'm pretty sure asahi beer is a japanese thing" but apparently superdry is clothing. literally have never seen one of these, are they just british

Stores of theirs are all across Europe, at least.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Mister Olympus posted:

There's one in the Woodfield Mall near Chicago, at least.

I had assumed it was a Chinese store due to the fact that the name made zero sense.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

China is currently very mad about Japan and removing anything at all Japan-related is happening all over the country.

Perfectly normal thing for a country to do, such as Western nation citizens refusing to serve Russian dressing. Glad we're all on the same page.

Jesus Christ its all run by babies

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Freedom fries aren't free. $9.11 plus local sales tax.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, why do those dumb Westerners not love the country that is currently waging a war of aggression against them?? This is just like Freedom Fries.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Edit: I don't feel like a dumb debate, nevermind.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Grand Fromage posted:

"China is currently mad about" is an evergreen statement

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Mister Olympus posted:

Other pretends to be foreign brit things are Pret a Manger, Patisserie Valerie and Costa, it works very well.

e: Not even brits want to buy British food when eating out.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 20, 2022

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

I like that except that the CCP is doing it. That should be the way it is if any company isn't putting the needs of humanity before profits.

Also superdry is very popular, you've probably seen it without realizing it bald avatar man that hasn't seen fashion

he would know if he’d seen superdry since giant branding is their aesthetic

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

hypnophant posted:

he would know if he’d seen superdry since giant branding is their aesthetic
It's quality stuff, but finding a jacket that doesn't double as ad space is a challenge. Funny enough mine has a small UK flag on it and no visible Japanese lettering.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I feel sorry for young chinese people the goverment gets ride of video games, and then anime.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh no, the two food groups

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Private Speech posted:

e: Not even brits want to buy British food when eating out.

How bloody dare you, I make a point of getting a.... uh... Stargazy Pie for lunch every day, just like everyone else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

"China is currently mad about" is an evergreen statement

Yeah, though they do usually have one particular country targeted at any given time and other ones are just like a baseline background mad. The current Japan Mad will go away once someone else does something.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

On the "company pretends to be foreign" thing:

Does/did anyone ever think that Paris Baguette was a French company?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Ah yes, giant spherical red bean doughnut, a staple of French breakfasts.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

BrigadierSensible posted:

Their pastries are a dead giveaway.

E:

Vaporware posted:

Ah yes, giant spherical red bean doughnut, a staple of French breakfasts.

Or their weird hot dog pastry things.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you're ever wondering why there are so many banh mi shops named Ba Le Banh Mi, it's basically the same thing. Ba Le is Paris in Vietnamese.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

All the good pastries are Austrian anyway. It's deception all the way down.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BrigadierSensible posted:

What about hagen daz?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Ups_rail posted:

What about hagen daz?

Det er ikke Danskene, dens pseudo dansk ... pseudanske

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Pseüdänske Daszsz

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
I was looking for an old post in a previous china.jpg thread and came across this /r/relationships post from a few years ago:

Curiosity got the better of me and I looked up that username on Reddit to see if there were any updates. Found this nightmare MIL situation posted recently:

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

that mother in law is never ever leaving, lmao

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Porfiriato posted:

that mother in law is never ever leaving, lmao

There's a deleted update https://www.unddit.com/r/relationships/comments/v8ljzo/update_i_25f_screamed_at_my_chinese_mil_who_is/

So I guess she is going back and they all found common ground but, gently caress, she's able to take a lot more poo poo than me.

She was talking about how they took the FIL's passport too so he's stuck in China separated from her and, yep, it's a bitch right now.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 22, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Not so Despicable: China changes ending of Minions movie https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-62642640

quote:

Others said Gru's alternate ending conveniently promoted China's three-child policy, as the country tries to raise its birth rate. The subtitled stills were also widely compared to PowerPoint presentation slides in quality.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Shumagorath posted:

Not so Despicable: China changes ending of Minions movie https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-62642640

Amazing

I love how Hollywood allows this just to get a taste of that sweet sweet Chinese cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Charles Bukowski posted:

Perfectly normal thing for a country to do, such as Western nation citizens refusing to serve Russian dressing. Glad we're all on the same page.

Jesus Christ its all run by babies

I had to look up what Russian dressing is and of course it's "an American type of salad dressing" lmao.