Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

deong posted:

I just found Motion; so I have that grabbing photos. Looks like that's working.
Now i just need to slap the pics into a video.

Nice, I’ll have to check that out… the one I’m using is this:
https://github.com/silvanmelchior/RPi_Cam_Web_Interface

It works pretty well… I’d then use ffmpeg to put the images together. I can look up the script if you need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Turns out if you feed a Pi 2 24v it'll just happily sit there not turning on until you realize the buck converter isn't in line with it. Even the USB dongles survived me.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I saw this on slickdeals. A couple of years back, a company made the Pi Top which was essentially a laptop shell that worked with a Raspberry Pi. They seem to be selling off the remaining kits that require a Raspberry Pi 3B+ (but do not include one) for $45 with free s/h. They have some kits with the Pi 3B+ for $115. It comes with a 14" 1080 screen, keyboard with trackpad, battery, cables/boards to support all that and a green case. It's not a bad deal for all of that but to use it as a Pi-top you'll need a Pi 3B+. I have one so I may pick it up. I figure the parts are easily worth the price even if I don't use it as a laptop since that's not going to be a great laptop. No idea how many they have but probably not a lot if they're selling off the remaining kits so they can move on from Pi Top 3 to Pi Top 4.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15941356-p...d?src=frontpage
https://shop.pi-top.com/collections/pi-top-3-summer-sale/products/pi-top

edit: they do have some that include the Pi 3B+ also for $115:
https://shop.pi-top.com/collections/pi-top-3-summer-sale/products/pi-top-3-with-raspberry-pi-3b
additionally if you buy one of the kits this pi-top speaker is free if the kit is in your cart, you just add this too:
https://shop.pi-top.com/collections/accessories-for-pi-top-3/products/pi-topspeaker

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 29, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I could use a recommendation.

Looking to setup HomeBridge + PiHole on a single Raspberry Pi, wired Ethernet, running headless. I would also need some kind of enclosure for it most likely.

What would be the recommended Pi for me to source?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I did both functions on separate pis, but that was before the chip shortage messed with the raspberry pi supply. Maybe you could swing it on a pi4?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Pihole is next to zero resource use, so a 3 will easily do both of them. Homebridge even works on pi zeros as long as you're not doing stuff with IP cameras or other video. Hardware power isn't the problem, it's managing the software.

To run both at once you're probably gonna want to get into docker. There are docker images for both of them.

TBQH since you're going to be using a more generic OS image + docker, you might even look at alt-pi boards like a le potato or various chinese pi knock-offs. Normally the downside of those is that you can't use a pre-made image for pihole or that you just flash to the SD card. But if you were starting with a generic Rasbian and adding docker, it would be almost as easy to start with a Clone-Pi's generic linux. Probably.

This depends a lot on your tech expertise and how much time you're willing to spend fiddling on stuff, versus your patience waiting for real pi stock at non-stupid prices.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

Pihole is next to zero resource use, so a 3 will easily do both of them. Homebridge even works on pi zeros as long as you're not doing stuff with IP cameras or other video. Hardware power isn't the problem, it's managing the software.

To run both at once you're probably gonna want to get into docker. There are docker images for both of them.

TBQH since you're going to be using a more generic OS image + docker, you might even look at alt-pi boards like a le potato or various chinese pi knock-offs. Normally the downside of those is that you can't use a pre-made image for pihole or that you just flash to the SD card. But if you were starting with a generic Rasbian and adding docker, it would be almost as easy to start with a Clone-Pi's generic linux. Probably.

This depends a lot on your tech expertise and how much time you're willing to spend fiddling on stuff, versus your patience waiting for real pi stock at non-stupid prices.

I have MicroCenter access, and my local Microcenter has Pi 4 Model B 2GB for like $45.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/621439/raspberry-pi-4-model-b---2gb-ddr4?src=raspberrypi

Considering most of the Pi 3s seem to cost $100+ if you can even find them, would it make sense just to buy that and a power supply?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I have MicroCenter access, and my local Microcenter has Pi 4 Model B 2GB for like $45.

Definitely. God bless microcenter.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Rexxed posted:

I saw this on slickdeals. Pi 3B+.

Looks like they have a bunch of 3B+s for $75 each now. I picked one up because I need that specific model but the price is at least only double retail, unlike ebay or amazon.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Hey thread, I've got an issue with a raspberry pi zero W.
Here's the setup:
The Pi is plugged in to my tv via the USB gadget, and a custom USB cable with no power lead. According to the TV, the Pi is a USB thumb drive.
The Pi itself is powered by an official raspberry pi power supply (5V, 2.5A) which should be far in excess of the power it needs.

It is hosting an SMB sharefolder that allows me to remotely add files to the "USB drive", so the TV can access them.

Now, everything is working but after a few days, I am coming back to find that the Pi is powered off (nothing on WiFi, no "USB stick" in TV, LED off on the board). I have to unplug and replug the power cable to turn it back on.

I've had a little bit of a look in /var/log/ at syslog, syslog.1, messages, messages.1 but I can't see anything to do with a deliberate system shutdown.

Any suggestions about where to look, or speculation as to possible causes?

I guess it could be overheating? I have it the "official case" red and white enclosure, but it doesn't have a heatsink. It's in a closed cupboard, but it doesn't seem particularly warm in there - and besides, isn't this thing meant to be low power?
I don't think it's browning out, as the power supply is overspecced for it.

edit: I am going to (attempt) to turn on the hardware watchdog for now and see if that makes the problem ignorable.

Splode fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 13, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Splode posted:

The Pi is plugged in to my tv via the USB gadget, and a custom USB cable with no power lead. According to the TV, the Pi is a USB thumb drive.

Any suggestions about where to look, or speculation as to possible causes?

I would try disconnecting the USB cable to the TV for a few days and see if the Pi ever powers off. I can imagine some possible causes from that connection, for example voltage over ground, that could be responsible. You need to isolate causes, and the TV side seems like the most likely hardware cause.

A pi zero doesn't need heatsinks or to ever really worry about overheating, so it's not that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is that doesn’t work, the SD card could be going out. Did you set up log2ram and the other usual suspects for hardening the writes?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Warbird posted:

Is that doesn’t work, the SD card could be going out. Did you set up log2ram and the other usual suspects for hardening the writes?

I did not, this is my first pi based project. I'll look into that thanks

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Not a worry. Pi’s are great little things but SD cards are not great but serve as a decent means to an end. Lots of weird behavior can usually be accounted for either: power weirdness or SD card weirdness. Log2ram cuts back on how often your system is writing logs to disk by storing them in RAM and doing periodic writes. This does have a bit of overhead in memory, but it’s pretty minimal. Similarly if the pi loses power unexpectedly you may lose some logs, but that’s usually an acceptable risk.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Warbird posted:

Not a worry. Pi’s are great little things but SD cards are not great but serve as a decent means to an end. Lots of weird behavior can usually be accounted for either: power weirdness or SD card weirdness. Log2ram cuts back on how often your system is writing logs to disk by storing them in RAM and doing periodic writes. This does have a bit of overhead in memory, but it’s pretty minimal. Similarly if the pi loses power unexpectedly you may lose some logs, but that’s usually an acceptable risk.

Yeah I hate SD cards. This is a brand new card, but at 32GB it's entering the territory where they start trading reliability for capacity. I'll set up log2ram and back up my image again.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I saw that there's a RISC-V powered raspberry pi zero W clone for sale. Ordered a 1GB ram model, has WiFi and Bluetooth, some kind of mini HDMI and two USB-C ports, plus standard 40 pin raspberry pi pinout. Oh and it's an allwinner D1 CPU/soc

Booted right up, this is a RISC-V build of Armbian Linux dated July 28, 2022

The silkscreening on the PCB says 20220627 so it's pretty new

The big deal is that RISC-V is a totally new clean sheet CPU architecture, it is neither x86/x86-64 based, nor is it ARM. The CPU spec is also open source, out of Berkeley, kind of in the spirit of BSD

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC-V

random article: https://circuitdigest.com/article/understanding-risc-v-architecture-and-why-it-could-be-a-replacement-for-arm

Ordered it here, was about $40 shipped and arrived from China to the east coast in less than 2 weeks

https://m.es.aliexpress.com/item/1005004372856686.html

Haven't been able to play with it further because it prompts you to create a password and in 2022 I no longer have a USB keyboard so that's on order too, whoops

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That's pretty neat. I like on the aliexpress page the description, very honest especially this part:

quote:

shortcoming
Performance garbage, single core, very cardy to use
Some software porting risc-v has wonderful bugs
No GPU, very laggy

"wonderful bugs", heh

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Haha yeah they do not mince words

RISC-V support is coming along nicely in linux, but this is very much still a development board

This guy seems to be the current (and only?) authority on the board

https://bret.dk/armbian-on-the-mangopi-mq-pro/#0-the-images

And then some benchmarks against the Mango Pi ("MQ Pro") and the Pi Zero W, looks like... it is ~80-120% the speed of the Pi Zero W, benchmarks are faster in some areas, slower in others

https://bret.dk/raspberry-pi-zero-vs-mangopi-mq-pro-benchmarks/

That link has probably 30 more graphs if you're interested. Of note, the RISC-V idles using ~16% less power and ~26% less power at load, which might be interesting for battery users out there (if you're willing to manually recompile your custom apps in RISC-V)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apropos of nothing, I just pulled out an old box from my basement and was treated to a not-insignificant pile of OG and early-gen Pi boards. So many aborted IoT projects and incomplete clusters, so many memories.

Probably e-Waste time to fend off the technology hoarding instinct. I’m not even sure what you could do with a 2012-2014era Pi today, but it’s safe to say if I haven’t had a need to use them in the past six or seven years I won’t suddenly develop one tomorrow.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

some kinda jackal posted:

Apropos of nothing, I just pulled out an old box from my basement and was treated to a not-insignificant pile of OG and early-gen Pi boards. So many aborted IoT projects and incomplete clusters, so many memories.

Probably e-Waste time to fend off the technology hoarding instinct. I’m not even sure what you could do with a 2012-2014era Pi today, but it’s safe to say if I haven’t had a need to use them in the past six or seven years I won’t suddenly develop one tomorrow.

A lot of people would probably be happy to try and make do with an old Pi given the current shortage. Put them up on SA Mart, you’ll be surprised.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm skeptical, given how I seem to remember everything about them was p a i n f u l l y slow or constrained and I can't imagine 2022-era OS would be any better, but I guess that's always an option! I'll see if I can put an effortpost together this weekend.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
A Pi 1 is effectively the same thing as a Pi Zero non-W, so yes painfully slow if you're trying to make a tiny compute cluster. Totally fine for people who want a PiHole or other low-impact headless application.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The biggest drawback of the early pi's is the memory. Fine for IoT projects but if you're using it as a linux server it's gonna feel pretty cramped.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Hadlock posted:

I saw that there's a RISC-V powered raspberry pi zero W clone for sale. Ordered a 1GB ram model, has WiFi and Bluetooth, some kind of mini HDMI and two USB-C ports, plus standard 40 pin raspberry pi pinout. Oh and it's an allwinner D1 CPU/soc

Booted right up, this is a RISC-V build of Armbian Linux dated July 28, 2022

The silkscreening on the PCB says 20220627 so it's pretty new

The big deal is that RISC-V is a totally new clean sheet CPU architecture, it is neither x86/x86-64 based, nor is it ARM. The CPU spec is also open source, out of Berkeley, kind of in the spirit of BSD

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC-V

random article: https://circuitdigest.com/article/understanding-risc-v-architecture-and-why-it-could-be-a-replacement-for-arm

Ordered it here, was about $40 shipped and arrived from China to the east coast in less than 2 weeks

https://m.es.aliexpress.com/item/1005004372856686.html

Haven't been able to play with it further because it prompts you to create a password and in 2022 I no longer have a USB keyboard so that's on order too, whoops

This is super cool, thanks for the write up.

There’s a YouTuber named Andrei Speiss (?) I think who’s super into open source maker stuff and he’s how I learned about RISC-V. It sucks that a lot of implementations of this stuff has closed source parts but that doesn’t look to be the case here hopefully.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm skeptical, given how I seem to remember everything about them was p a i n f u l l y slow or constrained and I can't imagine 2022-era OS would be any better, but I guess that's always an option! I'll see if I can put an effortpost together this weekend.

There's like 20 people waiting to get their hands on a raspberry pi for an octoprint server over in the 3d printing thread. They're still worth like $20 each, insanely

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Classic "why spend the extra money on a raspberry pi when I can get a clone for half the price" boondoggle

There are approximately 8-15-ish Armbian RISC-V images floating around on the internet. One of these renders text correctly, not zoomed way in, I've lost track of it can't find it anymore. Makes it almost impossible to use the cli without typing "clear" every five commands to keep the cursor on screen. I hosed up my locales and reflashed the sd card and... I have no idea which image I used, can't find it anymore

The only other Linux image that will boot on it with correct resolution is the official Ubuntu image but it doesn't have the drivers working for the WiFi chip

:smithicide:

Should just copy the driver from Armbian to Ubuntu? Not sure why it worked on the one version (nightly build) and not any others

Left a message on the Armbian RISC-V thread, hopefully some random Russian guy/moderator takes pity on me and fixes the problem. I think he has the mango pi physically so should be able to reproduce the issue

Anyways this is why you spend the extra $$$. So you can actually work on your project, not gently caress around with compiling display and network drivers for exotic CPU architectures for hours

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Yeah one of the key lessons of rpi clones is that genuine raspberry pis are actually pretty good value. The clones are half the price but half as good.

I'm hearing a lot of buzz about RISC-V (at work too), and here I thought ARM was going to take over everything!

My pi zero W is behaving now the Watchdog has been set up. I haven't checked the logs to see how often it's rebooting, but tbh I don't care. I've just set up log2ram (thanks for that advice!) and I'll put it back into service soon.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

xzzy posted:

The biggest drawback of the early pi's is the memory. Fine for IoT projects but if you're using it as a linux server it's gonna feel pretty cramped.

It's funny to read these posts, while my coworker has been using a RasPi connected to a TV as his remote workstation for the past three years since the covid quarantines started. I think he has mentioned it's the 256MB version. But he has always had weird masochistic tendencies.

My department is moving to a new office space with rotating office seating, so everyone has to stuff their powerful desktop in random closets and get new ThinkPads. Not him, he plans to carry his trusty RasPi to office for the days we can't be remote.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saukkis posted:

It's funny to read these posts, while my coworker has been using a RasPi connected to a TV as his remote workstation for the past three years since the covid quarantines started. I think he has mentioned it's the 256MB version. But he has always had weird masochistic tendencies.

I tried real hard to use a 512 mb pi as a workstation a while ago and it was miserable. The biggest drawback was web browsing. JavaScript performance was abysmal and having more than three tabs open had the system using swap space.

Anyone doing that today has to be a masochist, I don't know how one could work without a performant web browser. If a job exists that doesn't require web apps that's great but it feels like it'd be a rarity by now.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Saukkis posted:

My department is moving to a new office space with rotating office seating, so everyone has to stuff their powerful desktop in random closets and get new ThinkPads. Not him, he plans to carry his trusty RasPi to office for the days we can't be remote.

If he's using the rpi to remote into something else, that can work :v:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Splode posted:

I'm hearing a lot of buzz about RISC-V (at work too), and here I thought ARM was going to take over everything!

RISC-V has the advantage of being royalty-free, so there’s no gatekeeper to collect a fee for your use of the ISA. RISC-V is also less mature - performance lags behind ARM chips from years ago and I don’t recall whether they added SIMD instructions to the spec yet or if it’s still under discussion. RISC-V’s software stack is also behind ARM at the moment. It’ll be a big deal for the embedded space and I predict it’ll vie with ARM for a lot of commodity devices, but it’s in flux right now. I wish more of the people insisting that it’s going to be the basis of a high performance architecture Real Soon Now could get excited for OpenPower instead, it’s in a much better position to execute there.

Pi’s are fun! I wish I’d kept the Pi 4 I had, but a friend needed one and was squigged out by current prices, so I sent it to him. It’d be interesting to see how Vulkan support is coming along.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

risc-v saga continues

fixed the video problem by setting a kernel flag(!!) to force 1920x1080@60 (found out the hard/slow way that 2550x1440@30 is not supported (did not have the heart/patience to try 2550x1440@60)

xcfe was installed, but somehow xinit was not

the script to autoconfigure wifi on first boot does not work, but once setup through nmtui (that's a network config utility i would recognize as a human, sure) wifi seems to persist between :airquote: reboots (pulling the power plug

xfce boots to a black screen. yay. going to give icewm a shot

edit: the "preloaded" xfce image i downloaded, had the wrong extension, had to rename it .xz so I could extract the img inside

big scientific linux, wild wild west vibes

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 21, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fell down a hole Saturday(?) night trying to compile out of date drivers for a usb wifi stick and debugging gcc error messages, finally decided to order USB wired Ethernet thing for $10, 27,000 5 star reviews, Ubuntu fired right up

Installed xfce4, rebooted and it did an honest to god kernel panic, I don't think I've seen one of these since compiling gentoo Linux for i586 from scratch back in 2000

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Hadlock posted:

Fell down a hole Saturday(?) night trying to compile out of date drivers for a usb wifi stick and debugging gcc error messages, finally decided to order USB wired Ethernet thing for $10, 27,000 5 star reviews, Ubuntu fired right up

Installed xfce4, rebooted and it did an honest to god kernel panic, I don't think I've seen one of these since compiling gentoo Linux for i586 from scratch back in 2000

looks like a bad driver. Either it doesn't understand the parameters it's getting from the dongle or the dongle itself is messed up and sending junk to it.

Have you tried using it on a desktop or laptop? And if so, what distribution does it use?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's this thing https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MYT481C with an AX88772A pretty much the gold standard

I rebooted and since then no issues, booted into xfce4 after about 3-5 minutes so not gonna worry about it

Xfce4 performance is in the 0.25fps range. Maybe worse. I'll have to do some more checking. Clockwork has a version of Raspbian that will play doom at > 5fps on a D1 so something is off still

Ran out of time to try more lighter weight wm. Can't figure out what DISPLAY needs to be for xwindow to boot

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Hadlock posted:

It's this thing https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MYT481C with an AX88772A pretty much the gold standard

I rebooted and since then no issues, booted into xfce4 after about 3-5 minutes so not gonna worry about it

Xfce4 performance is in the 0.25fps range. Maybe worse. I'll have to do some more checking. Clockwork has a version of Raspbian that will play doom at > 5fps on a D1 so something is off still

Ran out of time to try more lighter weight wm. Can't figure out what DISPLAY needs to be for xwindow to boot

Oh, you're using the risc-V. Good luck with that! I figure those kinds of things would probably be decent as a headless server but graphics will be a bit tough until a good video core gets released.

The occasional panic can't be helped, I guess.

Do you plan on installing a watchdog?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it was only now when I realized that you had circled the hardware name

but I've been out of the driver development business for awhile and it didn't click

I have an audio driver (mic and speaker) for rpi that I want to forward port to a newer version. It uses dkms and doesn't work with newer kernels out of the box because they must've changed the audio API at some point. Guess it's as good a project as any to keep my skills up to date.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'm gonna take one more stab at it tomorrow see what's up with the clockwork distro it's based on Raspbian, frame rate seemed pretty good

The D1 just comes with a 2d graphics core, I think it's from literally 2002 pretty grim. Probably gonna have to dig up a raspberry pi a+ out of the attic to get this project done

And yeah it's RISC-V everything is super janky there's like 1000 people worldwide that have more than 24 hours using this stuff. Apparently it's way way better than it was back in April

Hopefully the D2 gets a 3d graphics core but I'm not holding my breath they just released this thing and still doing revisions. Pretty impressed it works at all really

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 23, 2022

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

they probably want to get a lot of chips out on this revision so that they can work on both the manufacturing kinks and a new asic at the same time before they go full throttle. As long as people are buying these risc-Vs, might as well sell 'em!

I bet there are plenty of embedded development folks that still want to get their hands on these things because RPIs are even more rare than Bigfoot these days. Particularly for university courses and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm an embedded developer and I would definitely love to get my hands on one.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really make sense right now over some of the stuff NXP for example is putting out.

Someday...