Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

cuba has pretty OK oil refining capacity I assume? do they produce any oil domestically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/1560421934306938883

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

la cia in shambles

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

zetamind2000 posted:

la cia in shambles

what happens when grifters control every layer of american government

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

zetamind2000 posted:

la cia in shambles

nothing but good news in Latin America lately, they fell off

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/bellybeastcuba/status/1558076794925944832?s=20&t=O9Nfjwf0g40EebpWm6BWXw
https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1560832005927059457?s=20&t=O9Nfjwf0g40EebpWm6BWXw

Yankees stay losing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Palladium posted:

what happens when grifters control every layer of american government

Also been said that the boomers refusing to train anyone and then retiring or dying extends to the three letter agencies

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Even China doesn't have anything like that. It's really funny that Cuba has just at some point decided they're a 4x faction now. They get a 25% bonus to medical research and can assign doctor units to other nations for a diplomacy bonus.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

30.5 Days posted:

Even China doesn't have anything like that. It's really funny that Cuba has just at some point decided they're a 4x faction now. They get a 25% bonus to medical research and can assign doctor units to other nations for a diplomacy bonus.

Cuba is a Victoria 2 nation going for a prestige rush to get in the great powers list.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

The fascist Castro regime forced everyone to become a doctor

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

SorePotato posted:

The fascist Castro regime forced everyone to become a doctor

remember the media push last year that tried to argue that Cuban medical personnel overseas were all slaves being made to work against their will

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

remember the media push last year that tried to argue that Cuban medical personnel overseas were all slaves being made to work against their will

Id rather have freedom and be an American slave in a prison call center than be a Communist cuba slave and travel overseas with my friends being sexy handsome doctors and saving lives

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the supposed outrage is because Cuba often receives more money from a country for the doctor's services than the doctor is paid

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

the supposed outrage is because Cuba often receives more money from a country for the doctor's services than the doctor is paid

that money should be rightfully going to a faceless third party management firm

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Atrocious Joe posted:

And it's so exploitative that those volunteering overseas are paid [checks notes] often more than six times their normal domestic salary.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Wow so you're telling me Cuba impoverishes those they force into doctor-slavery??

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The reasoning for this is that their families are being held hostage in Cuba, but nobody asks about all the Miami expats whose families are still there. Did they come to America knowing their families would be executed? Get real.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The reasoning for this is that their families are being held hostage in Cuba, but nobody asks about all the Miami expats whose families are still there. Did they come to America knowing their families would be executed? Get real.

every single familial relation of every guzano was executed, that's why none of them are answering my racist uncles' calls!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1561007017946451971

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

"Brewer and others have long insisted that peace in Mexico depends on reforming the nation’s corrupt police forces and reducing impunity by teaching prosecutors how to properly investigate crimes. The U.S. government agrees, and it has spent hundreds of millions of dollars on training programs for the armed forces and police.

But López Obrador has slashed police budgets. He also disbanded the federal police force, which had been dogged by allegations that authorities were colluding with the criminals they were supposed to be fighting."

"Data show troops have been engaged in fewer shootouts than under the two previous presidents and have seized fewer numbers of guns — perhaps a sign that the president’s “hugs, not bullets” rhetoric has trickled down to the troops on the ground."

"Troops now lead the fight against illegal immigration, the COVID-19 pandemic and the theft of fuel from gas lines. They run the country’s biggest infrastructure projects — including construction of an airport and a major train line — and control the nation’s ports and border crossings."

:thunk:

oh but surely these troops are leading to increased violence right?

"There are some indications that suggest the armed forces have taken a new, less aggressive tack under López Obrador. Whereas the military once confronted organized crime head on, sometimes killing bystanders in shootouts, today’s troops seem more focused on street patrols than cartel battles.

In Michoacan state, for example, locals have complained that the army simply acts as a buffer between criminal groups instead of directly challenging them."

Well surely the people are chafing under this martial law!

"Even with homicides near all-time highs and regular bursts of violence such as the one seen last week, López Obrador and the armed forces maintain high approval ratings."

unwantedplatypus has issued a correction as of 02:22 on Aug 21, 2022

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

I also remember it being said that Cuban overseas doctors were threatening to leave unless the people they cared for voted their way.

How it was presented in the papers: "Vote for the commie or else we will leave"
Reality: "If the right-wing fascist is elected, they'll likely force us out of the country"

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Speaking of Cuban doctors, an Italian region just signed a deal to have them work in its hospitals
https://www.reuters.com/world/cuba-send-hundreds-doctors-italys-calabria-region-2022-08-19/

It's so funny to me how the media are always screaming about mah non functional cuban state and then calabria has to call on cuban medics because they couldnt be hosed to hire doctors they knew they would need for ten goddamn years

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1561375072295714817

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That's good news, as I don't know how long Castillo is going to last as President at this point.

Not that he was necessarily behind the release but I could see previous governments never letting Humala out.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol yeah not even his brother let him out

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1561454835634843648

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

she makes a lot of things up out of whole cloth so i assume she'll be successful

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

now that's what I call re-education through labor

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Give her the puyi treatment

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Don't make fun of her, what have you even done with your life? Congratulations, president anez, I hope you enjoy a long and storied career as a prison tailor.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
https://www.voanews.com/a/cuba-s-updated-families-code-would-open-door-to-gay-marriage-other-rights-/6670681.html

Gay Cuba incoming

"The new code would legalize same-sex marriage and civil unions, allow same-sex couples to adopt children, and promote equal sharing of domestic responsibilities. It would also allow prenuptial agreements and surrogate pregnancies, though not for profit.

Parents would have "responsibility" for instead of "custody" of children and be required to be "respectful of the dignity and physical and mental integrity of children and adolescents."

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Jeanine Garak Anez

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Bolivia just unlocked the chinese emperor ending for their dictator, chairman mao sheds a celestial tear onto evo :blessed:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mistakes into miracles

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

unwantedplatypus posted:

https://www.voanews.com/a/cuba-s-updated-families-code-would-open-door-to-gay-marriage-other-rights-/6670681.html

Gay Cuba incoming

"The new code would legalize same-sex marriage and civil unions, allow same-sex couples to adopt children, and promote equal sharing of domestic responsibilities. It would also allow prenuptial agreements and surrogate pregnancies, though not for profit.

Parents would have "responsibility" for instead of "custody" of children and be required to be "respectful of the dignity and physical and mental integrity of children and adolescents."

Hey, thanks for the VoA article, I'll surely read what they have to say.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was gonna say, i assumed those rights already existed in cuba?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I was gonna say, i assumed those rights already existed in cuba?

It actually is a really good updated law called the Family Code that is set to be voted on in September, here's telesur talking about it earlier, if you understandably don't trust VOA:
https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Cuba-Family-Code-Watch-for-the-Rights-of-Children-20220606-0025.html

and Al Jazeera
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/22/cuba-assembly-opens-door-to-gay-marriage-other-family-rights

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/camilapress/status/1561785562360594433

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
VoA rang a bell but I read the article and double-checked with other articles and the information was the same more or less.

Is it a US-funded thing?

The new code seemed awesome. Free abortion, gay marriage and adoption, right to non-profit surrogacy. The updated language around children seemed geared towards more of a focus on raising kids without violence and coercion. Legit good stuff I wish my home passed.

unwantedplatypus has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Aug 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Voice of America is explicitly a US-government propaganda channel. Like Radio Free Asia etc