Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The Lies of Locke Lamora

The Stainless Steel Rat series (note that it's science fiction but has a lively, rollicking feel that I associate more with YA fantasy)

For more YA stuff, the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends series have a character that is an interesting twist on the D&D notion of a rogue. In Chronicles, he's a featured supporting character that would probably be 4th billed in a movie. In Legends he's promoted to co-lead.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows is pretty good in the fantasy heist line.

It's not strictly about thieves, but Roger Zelazny's Jack of Shadows might work as well.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

neurotech posted:

I'm looking for a good fantasy book that is about thieves. Does anyone have any recommendations?

The Lies of Locke Lamora is good.

If you're looking for a comedy heist, you could do much worse than Robert Asprin's Myth Adventures series, starting with Another Fine Myth. I'd be surprised if your library doesn't have at least part of the series.

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are the classic fantasy thief duo. They've aged a fair bit, but I think they're still worth reading to see just how much stuff later writers borrow from them.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

neurotech posted:

I'm looking for a good fantasy book that is about thieves. Does anyone have any recommendations?
I havent finished it yet so i cant totally vouch for it (tho like everyone else on this forum i can vouch for Buehlman's other book Between Two Fires) but The Blacktongue Thief seemed solid, good sense of humor, kinda Prachetty

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Fantastic, thanks for the great recommendations everyone.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a recommendation for someone else.

She just finished reading Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. Overall she really liked it, but she didn't like how rushed the final chapters and ending felt. She thought the resolution between the central relationship between Howl and Sophie, from antagonistic to in love, was cheap and unearned.

She would like another book that's similar to Howl's, but more adult or thoughtful about the actual characters relationships, and not as "simple and unrealistic". I don't read much fantasy, and none of the ones I've read have any relationships like the one in HMC, so hopefully someone here can give her a rec for me?

She's a big fan of the Studio Ghibli adaptation. She is not interested in the "sequel" book, "Castle in the Air".

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Franchescanado posted:

She just finished reading Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. Overall she really liked it, but she didn't like how rushed the final chapters and ending felt. She thought the resolution between the central relationship between Howl and Sophie, from antagonistic to in love, was cheap and unearned.

She would like another book that's similar to Howl's, but more adult or thoughtful about the actual characters relationships, and not as "simple and unrealistic". I don't read much fantasy, and none of the ones I've read have any relationships like the one in HMC, so hopefully someone here can give her a rec for me?

She's a big fan of the Studio Ghibli adaptation. She is not interested in the "sequel" book, "Castle in the Air".

dunno if there's a novelization, but porco rosso is the best i can think of from ghibli

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Franchescanado posted:

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld, by Patricia McKillip?
Carry On, by Rainbow Rowell?
Deathless, by Catherynee M. Valente?

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
The Tombs of Atuan by Le Guin has a similar sounding relationship between Tenar and Ged. It's the second Earthsea book, but you don't need to have read the first.

e: just remembered that it was also quasi-adapted into a lesser Ghibli movie

rollick fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 4, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Definitely seconding The Tombs of Atuan

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Maybe Robin Mckinley's "The Blue Sword "and "The Hero and the Crown"? Possibly "Dragonslayer" by Barbara Hambley.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

rollick posted:

The Tombs of Atuan by Le Guin has a similar sounding relationship between Tenar and Ged. It's the second Earthsea book, but you don't need to have read the first.

e: just remembered that it was also quasi-adapted into a lesser Ghibli movie

Yeah this is a great rec

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
Strangely obscure, specific request but I've used TBB for a few research jumping points and I figured if anyone could help, they're all here.

I'm looking for non-fiction (or semi-autobiographical fiction) about growing up as a teenager in the 90s, in the midwest. Grungy, cynical and punk scenes would be ideal but anything about growing up from the 90s to the Myspace era, in the middle of nowhere. The kind of stories about regular non-famous people who couldn't wait to leave.

I know that's probably a tall order but it's worth a shot. I took a look through Goodreads lists and it's garbage. There are projects dedicated to preserving old abandoned diaries and journals from everyday people but google is giving me journals from ages past in Britain, and not in Nowheresville Ohio. Those would be 100% what I'm looking for though and I'm going to continue my search for something like that but I'm not super hopeful. A lot of what I've looked at so far are mostly pre-war, which doesn't help either.

Any help is much appreciated. Even stuff like old angelfire pages are primo.

Thank y'all for coming through for me before for weird obscure poo poo, hopefully this one isn't too strange either.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Any military fiction written by someone who served on board an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

R.L. Stine posted:

Strangely obscure, specific request but I've used TBB for a few research jumping points and I figured if anyone could help, they're all here.

I'm looking for non-fiction (or semi-autobiographical fiction) about growing up as a teenager in the 90s, in the midwest. Grungy, cynical and punk scenes would be ideal but anything about growing up from the 90s to the Myspace era, in the middle of nowhere. The kind of stories about regular non-famous people who couldn't wait to leave.

I know that's probably a tall order but it's worth a shot. I took a look through Goodreads lists and it's garbage. There are projects dedicated to preserving old abandoned diaries and journals from everyday people but google is giving me journals from ages past in Britain, and not in Nowheresville Ohio. Those would be 100% what I'm looking for though and I'm going to continue my search for something like that but I'm not super hopeful. A lot of what I've looked at so far are mostly pre-war, which doesn't help either.

Thank y'all for coming through for me before for weird obscure poo poo, hopefully this one isn't too strange either.

https://geocities.restorativland.org/

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

R.L. Stine posted:

The anthology after yesterday's crash has stories that fit

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
Thanks for both recommendations, I've ordered a copy of After Yesterday's Crash, and those archived Geocities pages are an absolute goldmine, holy poo poo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

neurotech posted:

Late to this one, but I didn't see it mentioned

The Thousand Deaths of Ardor Benn

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Azhais posted:

Late to this one, but I didn't see it mentioned

The Thousand Deaths of Ardor Benn

Thank you, I'll check it out.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Anything similar in tone and content to Netflix's Castlevania? Dark, medieval, high fantasy with vampires as major characters or even protagonists.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 9, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Senjuro posted:

Anything similar in tone and content to Netflix's Castlevania? Dark, medieval, high fantasy with vampires as major characters or even protagonists.
Not sure if you're looking for books or TV shows, but this is the book barn so I'll give book recommendations.

Maybe try the original Dracula? I was surprised to enjoy it as much as I did.

Coldfire Trilogy by C. S. Friedman

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

LLSix posted:

Not sure if you're looking for books or TV shows, but this is the book barn so I'll give book recommendations.

Maybe try the original Dracula? I was surprised to enjoy it as much as I did.

Coldfire Trilogy by C. S. Friedman
Definitely looking for books. The Castlevania show, while in a different medium, is just the closet example I had of what I'm looking for.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Senjuro posted:

Kim Newman's Anno Dracula books might be worth looking into, but they're not really high fantasy and they're of very varying quality.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's Saint-Germain books, maybe?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Jack of Shadows, by Roger Zelazny, is not actually a vampire but has many similarities to one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Senjuro posted:

I mean, maybe you’d like Blindsight. It’s dark and kind of hard sci fi’s version of fantasy, and vampires…

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I liked Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness and Lathe of Heaven (I also liked the weirdness in Lathe of Heaven). Anything else worth reading from her?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PRADA SLUT posted:

I liked Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness and Lathe of Heaven (I also liked the weirdness in Lathe of Heaven). Anything else worth reading from her?

All of it? Especially The Dispossessed.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

There's no bad Le Guin, just stuff that doesn't work for various people.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

Yeah my personal favorites are The Dispossessed, The Tombs of Atuan, and The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas.

I thought The Lathe of Heaven would probably be better as a novella but still good.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

PRADA SLUT posted:

The Unreal and the Real is a nice, big collection of her short stories that covers a huge range of her writing that will probably give you a nice way to find places you'd like to dig deeper. There's some Hainish stuff (same universe as TLHoD), Orsinia (a made up real world country), bit of early Earthsea, and lots of thoughtful goodness. And others have already mentioned The Dispossessed but yeah that's real good.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I've been reading Commonweal Series. I can thoroughly recommend the first two books in the series. I didn't enjoy the viewpoint characters as much for the 3rd or 4th books (and the sequence of events in the 4th book felt contrived to me). I haven't tried the fifth yet, but since I already bought it, I probably will eventually.

The thing I liked best about them is that they're a fantasy setting with a communal form of government. It's a refreshing change from the usual sort of vaguely feudal/authoritarian settings. Are there other (fiction) books with similarly communal or benevolent cultures?

I guess Beta Colony from the Vorkosigan Saga would be a partial example of this. It didn't seem very communal to me, but it does have a universal safety-net and education.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wow I get to recommend The Dispossessed twice in a row.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

LLSix posted:

The thing I liked best about them is that they're a fantasy setting with a communal form of government. It's a refreshing change from the usual sort of vaguely feudal/authoritarian settings. Are there other (fiction) books with similarly communal or benevolent cultures?

Seconding The Dispossessed as above; Le Guin is an absolutely amazing writer by any standard. Also, you're definitely going to want to check out The Culture in Iain M. Banks's books. (edit: that thread is a little weird; here's the author's own explanation)

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 13, 2022

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My wife and I read The Anomaly by Michael-Rutger and we enjoyed its creepiness.

Any recommendations for something similar?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Any good horror books recs? I really liked the movie/tv adaptations of Annihilation and The Terror, especially the "people out of their element and something is hunting them" bit. Same with stuff like The Thing or Alien.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Azran posted:

Any good horror books recs? I really liked the movie/tv adaptations of Annihilation and The Terror, especially the "people out of their element and something is hunting them" bit. Same with stuff like The Thing or Alien.

We have such sights to show you

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm looking for audio books, that have protagonists who are already in a relationship, like a married couple fighting crime, or a fantasy epic with two people in love. It's been so incredibly long since I read a book though, that I don't even really remember what I super liked. I more just want to get better at writing fiction so wanted to get back into reading fiction.

I liked A series of Unfortunate Events, Harry Potter, Animorphs, and the first couple of maximum ride books, but never got into the rest of the series. One of my Favorite Stephen King books was about this evil rear end cop that terrorized a town in a bubble, well until the end of it at least. My favorite series of all time, was about a kid who wanted to be an evil wizard, tried too hard at it, and ended up falling in (familial) love with a Djinni and tore down the system of djinni oppression (I forget what it's called. It's by Stroud.)

I don't really think I enjoy stories with high stakes anymore though, I like sweet things, just kind of warm soft stories, and if it's a bit meandering but has a lot of great character moments, that's a real plus for me. Like honestly even a short story anthology but with characters I really like would be Ok, as long as it's strong.

I've been told Terry Pratchet is good over and over, but I'm not sure he's what I'm looking for right now, though if there's a really good story or set that is a must read I'd be down to try it. I think I'd prefer shorter stories that are less of an investment until I really get used to reading regularly again.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

All of the Amelia Peabody books after the first one have her solving mysteries and doing archaeology with her husband, and the audiobooks read by Barbara Rosenblat are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Rand Brittain posted:

All of the Amelia Peabody books after the first one have her solving mysteries and doing archaeology with her husband, and the audiobooks read by Barbara Rosenblat are great.

Seconding this! It's a very warm series with interesting plots. Peters was a trained egyptologist so there's a lot of actual knowledge that went into the books.