Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I used a Sony GDM-FW900 CRT up until 2010 when it sadly died. That thing was an outstanding monitor - 24" flat screen, 16:9ish and able to do basically 1440p resolution, built-in USB hub.

It also weighed 98 pounds.

Hey fellow FW900 buddy! I also had one of these, but the HP branded variant, which was a FW900 in a beige case instead of a silver one. It certainly was a giant thing; difficult for one person to carry. I had to get a desk specifically to fit it and even then ended up having to add some additional bracing to keep the desk from bending.

Alas mine too died... First the anti-glare coating started delaminating, so I removed it entirely. And then something with the HV started to fail. It would randomly pop and and the screen would shrink. The longer it stayed on the worse it got. convergence also kept drifting really bad. I spent many hours using the service software to get the convergence perfect across the entire screen, only for it to drift out days later. One day it went blurry and the geometry went out of wack. No amount of adjustments would bring it back. To the recycling center it went.

Replaced it with a Dell U2412M IPS LCD and never looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Speaking of CRTs, here's an old Sony promotion video from around 1970 which has great footage from inside of Sony manufacturing plants of the time, including a Trinitron assembly line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIZ8pYL1B0M

Man, it's all a lot more automatised than I would've thought for the time.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bargearse posted:

Here's my latest tech relic, it appears to be a 286 motherboard installed in a generic XT clone case with a CGA monitor. It seems to start up just fine but I haven't really had much of a chance to tinker with it just yet

Aside from the yellowing on the front panel it's in overall clean condition.

Looks alright there, hopefully there's no battery leakage inside

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I want to believe

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20220816-00/?p=106994

quote:

Janet Jackson had the power to crash laptop computers

A colleague of mine shared a story from Windows XP product support. A major computer manufacturer discovered that playing the music video for Janet Jackson’s “Rhythm Nation” would crash certain models of laptops. I would not have wanted to be in the laboratory that they must have set up to investigate this problem. Not an artistic judgement.

One discovery during the investigation is that playing the music video also crashed some of their competitors’ laptops.

And then they discovered something extremely weird: Playing the music video on one laptop caused a laptop sitting nearby to crash, even though that other laptop wasn’t playing the video!

What’s going on?

It turns out that the song contained one of the natural resonant frequencies for the model of 5400 rpm laptop hard drives that they and other manufacturers used.

The manufacturer worked around the problem by adding a custom filter in the audio pipeline that detected and removed the offending frequencies during audio playback.

And I’m sure they put a digital version of a “Do not remove” sticker on that audio filter. (Though I’m worried that in the many years since the workaround was added, nobody remembers why it’s there. Hopefully, their laptops are not still carrying this audio filter to protect against damage to a model of hard drive they are no longer using.)

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

iCat

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

200 websites… nothing but cats.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Porfiriato posted:

I'm not seeing the problem here.

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug

Porfiriato posted:

heck yeah, bring back webrings

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I have no recollection of this at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBoaPeXoMf4

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’m sure I saw the Computer Chronicles bit, but forgot it until now.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

I was cleaning out a clutter drawer and came across a CDR clearly labeled, in my handwriting, as Windows 98 SE. I didn’t remember having it and was confused because I definitely didn’t have access to a CD burner back when I was running WIn98. I popped it in my desktop just to see what was on it and it was an installation .iso for Windows 8 I had made only about two years prior and had completely forgotten about :doh:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Your bra bomb better work, Nerdlinger!

Holy poo poo. Hello, old friend...there was a brief period of time where I could enter that key from memory.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

gently caress me, it only occurred to me now that I know this key.
It's been a while old friend.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I don't know if it's just the Mandela effect talking but that key feels very familiar, yeah. I also remember having to reinstall Windows every few months or so because something went horribly wrong, it was a perfectly normal thing you just did, so that code written with a sharpie got a lot of use.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
It was the windows XP key for a while (:thejoke:)

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

You Am I posted:

Looks alright there, hopefully there's no battery leakage inside

It's pretty clean inside too, almost no dust on anything. I can't even find a BIOS battery but it keeps losing CMOS settings whenever it's powered down so it's probably got a failed real-time clock module somewhere on the board.

Edit: I found where the battery should be, right under the power supply where I couldn't quite get to it. Looks like someone beat me to it and already clipped the battery out, and I don't see any damage.

Bargearse has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Aug 20, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Anyone got one of those ancient porcelain bios chips I've heard about disassembled? I'm curious about what it would take to properly open one without damaging it.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Looks like the standard procedure is to scribe a line around the edge with a diamond glass cutter and then whack it open with a hammer and chisel.

https://www.semitracks.com/reference-material/failure-and-yield-analysis/failure-analysis-package-level/delid-and-decap.php

I don't think many people are looking at ROMs under microscopes though, since you can read the contents through the pins and other than the software itself they're not really charasmatic ICs like a CPU or music synth.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I don't doubt it. Must've been such a brilliant moment when the laptop not playing the music died

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/OptimoPrincipi/status/1405589869058039811

Whoops, that was supposed to be this, but I'm leaving the original because it's a tech relic, too.

https://twitter.com/parramaterial/status/1561037771875258369

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What was stopping someone from just running a cable from the headphone jack to the line in on a tape deck and just copying it that way?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

History Comes Inside! posted:

What was stopping someone from just running a cable from the headphone jack to the line in on a tape deck and just copying it that way?

https://twitter.com/parramaterial/status/1561053453383868416?t=1tVTcuJ4QwkWRqIMP7xqsg

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love the word "pre-prepared", it's so Tim & Eric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKVgRxCdZXE

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I was so into that album, and then I abandoned it forever. Just like that.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Tried retrobriting with some developer paste, turned out well. I also did the off color 5.25 faceplate, and while it worked, there must have been some overexposure and it's got some patterns on that. I think a full submerge will work better for those parts in the future.

After:

Before:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
that boy is thicc. is the bottom one a tapedrive?

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
:hmmyes: Now that's a good retrobritin'. How's it all look reassembled?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

an actual frog posted:

It was the windows XP key for a while (:thejoke:)

Okay, so the one that I remember is V44T7-84QKR-RBM82-JT8FW-W3TWJ - I don't know if it was a retail key or a corporate key or what but I've googled it every now and then for years and nothing ever comes up..

Is there anyone else who remembers the one that I've got memorized? Like I don't think it could possibly be a legit key from myself or an employer, there's no way I would've memorized that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just downloaded the BILL GATES edition and got online in hours :kamina:

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

that boy is thicc. is the bottom one a tapedrive?

Yep, I'll see if I can't find media for it one day. It connects on the same floppy cable for the other drives too so I'm sure it's blazing fast.

It looked good, I'll snag a pic soonish. It's standard height but not nearly the same size as a full desktop formfactor, it uses a proprietary slim powersupply. Getting the proper setup disk and tricking it to use a non-standard type drive was interesting, but right now it's my favorite out of all of my old machines.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Little more content: I was able to go back and redo a failed Dallas chip mod, looks like I didn't quite dig enough to sever the internal battery, resoldered some leads to it and temporarily wrapped a coin cell in some electrical tape and saved the board, yay.

It's going into a real beast of a case, early workstation style. I don't have a spare soundcard that I want to throw at it, so it's going in with a older 1024k trident card, 200mb caviar drive and 16mb of 30 pin ram. not sure what I'll do with it after that.

I have a Gateway 386/33c that I've got the motherboard out to someone for fixing that's probably next on the list, then I was able to find the exact style case from when I was growing up that I'll do a max-effort 486/pci build with a Mach64, Awe64 and AMD 5x86 133 setup. Probably do 32/64 of EDO and a 6.4gb WD drive in that.

I do have a really neat Pentium Socket 5 board, it has a 166mhz MMX overdrive in it and built in sound and video. I'll probably need to get a decent case for that one as it's AT, and I have an Intergraph Voodoo rush for it.

Last to build will be a PII-300 AGP system. Only have the board and a NVidia TNT for that right now.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Snackmar posted:

Okay, so the one that I remember is V44T7-84QKR-RBM82-JT8FW-W3TWJ - I don't know if it was a retail key or a corporate key or what but I've googled it every now and then for years and nothing ever comes up..

Is there anyone else who remembers the one that I've got memorized? Like I don't think it could possibly be a legit key from myself or an employer, there's no way I would've memorized that

well, i tried it with the isos that i have from back when, and no luck. there are so many variants out there, though, that this doesnt really prove anything either way, except that it's not one of the common ones

they really straightened things up in vista and later with the unified isos. xp was a mess

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, there are different keys for each localization and service pack, I think.

FCKGW is specifically for the original US version, it won't work on later service pack versions or for localized versions.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Back then every Windows installation I did must have been with a slightly different version, I remember having to go to dodgy warez and serialz sites every time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, there are different keys for each localization and service pack, I think.

FCKGW is specifically for the original US version, it won't work on later service pack versions or for localized versions.
What did Games Workshop do to Microsoft 22 years ago to deserve this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It was the space Orks, Microsoft has no sense of humour and hates anyone that does.