Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

We're going to end up with people wanting to go into the office because the cost of the commute is significantly cheaper than the cost of being at home for an extra 10 hours each day.
And offices demanding that they don't so they can leave the heating off.

e: 316 is a marine grade stainless steel alloy

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Convex posted:

I feel much like Stringer Bell in his final moments. Just get on with it :smith:

The path upstairs blocked by death wearing a suit, upwards mobility was an illusion. There is only the game.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

stev posted:

We're going to end up with people wanting to go into the office because the cost of the commute is significantly cheaper than the cost of being at home for an extra 10 hours each day.

Heating, plugging in phones to charge, hot food in the canteen that may well be cheaper than cooking your own, plus some offices have shower facilities. If we can just find a way to plumb in a washing machine then we're sorted.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The sequence of events will be:

1) October fuel cap drains remaining savings and income from most working class households.
1b) Recession probably declared as Q3 growth is negative meaning serious fears about future spread across country.
2) Winter covid wave kicks off in November due to low resistance from waning/low immunity in general population and poor uptake of new vaccines because covid is over.
3) Staffing issues from covid wave and long covid/lack of medical access generally and lack of customer spending cripples retail during the holiday season.
4) With the public having little else to do and no pandemic restrictions due to the impact on already failing businesses the Christmas period has large gatherings in homes and surviving public venues, worsening covid wave.
5) January is chaos month as NHS cannot handle covid wave, all services except emergency stopped or gone remote just as days of blackouts ordered, worsening public health as people are forced to gather together to limit individual heating costs and businesses close up after holiday period income not enough to allow them to keep going.
6) With literally every possible mode of existence being horrible and filled with risk - riots and public looting become commonplace.
7) February revolution.

Amazingly most of these points can be reduced or ameliorated in advance by state action but lol.

namesake fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 20, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

namesake posted:

1) October fuel cap drains remaining savings and income from most working class households.
1b) Recession probably declared as Q3 growth is negative meaning serious fears about future spread across country.
2) Winter covid wave kicks off in November due to low resistance from waning/low immunity in general population and poor uptake of new vaccines because covid is over.
3) Staffing issues from covid wave and long covid/lack of medical access generally and lack of customer spending cripples retail during the holiday season.
4) With the public having little else to do and no pandemic restrictions due to the impact on already failing businesses the Christmas period has large gatherings in homes and surviving public venues, worsening covid wave.
5) January is chaos month as NHS cannot handle covid wave, all services except emergency stopped or gone remote just as days of blackouts ordered, worsening public health as people are forced to gather together to limit individual heating costs and businesses close up after holiday period income not enough to allow them to keep going.
6) With literally every possible mode of existence being horrible and filled with risk - riots and public looting become commonplace.
7) February revolution. CON +8

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
8) Starmer says strikes and rioting are unacceptable while societal collapse is ongoing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

sinky posted:

8) Starmer says strikes and rioting are unacceptable while societal collapse is ongoing being loadedcinto a cauldron along with pasta and carrots at the local soup kitchen.

Ftfy

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/RevRichardColes/status/1560176318586691587

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Optimism of the spirit comrade, the millions of groups of people huddled around the one radiator and one lamp on aren't going to be saying the Tories will fix things. Not for long anyway.

Admittedly they'll polarise and say it's either capitalism/British society in general that's at fault or blame woke European migrants ruining everything so not all the resulting riots will be good but that's just the nature of class struggle. Having a bunch of commie literature on hand to pass around rather than have the Tele on wouldn't hurt things.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Anyone know a good pitchfork retailer?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

namesake posted:

7) February revolution.

Amazingly most of these points can be reduced or ameliorated in advance by state action but lol.

3a or 5a) Covid, retail closures, lack of staff and rising prices mean that tourism also plummets which was about the one sector left doing well.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Are the red numbers temperature or jobbies per nautical mile? :ohdear: :confused:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
poos per metre (ppm)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

Are the red numbers temperature or jobbies per nautical mile? :ohdear: :confused:

Its the average number of poos seen per person per minute

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

poos per metre (ppm)

No foreign measurements in Brexitania!!! :argh:

edit:

Convex posted:

Its the average number of poos seen per person per minute

An acceptable... if frightening alternative. :hai:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Poo water can result in lots of algae which we'll need for food. But on the other hand the fish won't like it. Who can really say if it's good or bad.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

If this were Germany there would be a little shelf all along the shoreline where the poos could be inspected before being washed away.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Clarence posted:

If this were Germany there would be a little shelf all along the shoreline where the poos could be inspected before being washed away.
That's what the continental shelf is for!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

What if we means tested the turds on their way to the sea?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Brendan Rodgers posted:

What if we means tested the turds on their way to the sea?

They'd have to hold the Brighton Conference somewhere inland

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I have to say, passing the law that means we all have to live in literal poo poo was a bit on the nose, even for the conservatives

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Payndz posted:

That's what the continental shelf is for!

Thats why Ireland and England are located there. Finally a non-political name, the Great Jobby Isles

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Scotia, Hibernia, Inglatera & Tamurt n Yigaliyen

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone on here working for a charity that has managed to set up on TCS London Marathon and find out how on earth to access the 'teams' that seem to have been auto-setup?
I've messaged them twice but no response to this question.
None of us have the faintest clue what the password is because none of us set it up!
(NB this is NOT a question for runners, but a question for someone in a charity who has places available in the Virtual London Marathon).

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Diet Crack posted:

Pretwave for that Je ne sais quoi

their lackadaisical attitude towards food labelling has killed people :mad:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
pret a MURDER, more like :mad:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

domhal posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/aug/19/jeremy-vine-cycle-safety-london-helmet-cam

In which Jeremy Vine invents a whole new genre of video never seen before, definitely not on YouTube

and claims that the goal of making roads safe for cycling is not political.

just a reminder that a couple of months ago he was doing a phone in on radio 2 about energy drinks (norman) and thinking about fag packets, he asked a medical expert why they can't "put a picture of a person shaking" on energy drink tins :/

i stopped what i was doing at work, unsure if i'd really heard that like :how:

he gives peston a run for his money in the incredibly idiotic media person category

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose they could if they made lenticular cans.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

History Comes Inside! posted:

Shell Energy relentlessly point out that they supply me only with energy from renewable sources, so what I’m getting from this is that I won’t be impacted at all by the rising cost of imported fossil fuels unless for some reason they’re either playing fast and loose with their definition of renewable or they just really like making money, or both.

There's a condition in the Generation Licence (Condition 17A, paragraph 6) that the company owning the wind farms will have that says that they're not allowed to cross-subsidise any other part of their group. Selling power at anything other than fair market price would be classed as a cross-subsidy and therefore a licence breach. So if Shell own the wind farms, they'll be forced to sell at the current, absurdly high, market prices; and if they're buying in power via PPAs with third parties, the owners of the wind farms aren't going to give a discount on their power, as that'll cause a revolt by their share holders.

Either way, Shell Energy will be paying full price for power while the companies owning the wind farms will be rolling around in a big pit of money.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

just a reminder that a couple of months ago he was doing a phone in on radio 2 about energy drinks (norman) and thinking about fag packets, he asked a medical expert why they can't "put a picture of a person shaking" on energy drink tins :/

i stopped what i was doing at work, unsure if i'd really heard that like :how:

he gives peston a run for his money in the incredibly idiotic media person category
Could use some creative blurring, Jacob's Ladder or Silent Hill style.

Why go after energy drinks first though? You could do drunken violence, suicide, and liver damage on the alcohol bottles, or labor activists being murdered with chainsaws on coca cola company products, or a human arse hole on most of the papers.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1560640427165749248?s=21&t=PFy7jpL79yzv7KZK-iOwlg

The Aditya Chakrabortty article linked here is genuinely loving terrifying.

they just need to be more entrepreneurial and start a business and make a profit, ops

Apraxin posted:

in the same vein:
https://twitter.com/JoannaPartridge/status/1560656133110452225?cxt=HHwWgsCq6f-eyKgrAAAA53% of small businesses expect to contract or fold outright within the next 12 months; restaurants being quoted energy bill rises of 300-500%

they just need to invest more in their capital to produce their goods and services more efficiently, op

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
got to love liz's answers to impending economic collapse that suggest she has read several chapters of a 1990s GCSE economics textbook and comprehended some of it :sparkles:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

they just need to be more entrepreneurial and start a business and make a profit, ops

they just need to invest more in their capital to produce their goods and services more efficiently, op

It's their own fault for not having the Duke of Westminster as their dad

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

Could use some creative blurring, Jacob's Ladder or Silent Hill style.

Why go after energy drinks first though? You could do drunken violence, suicide, and liver damage on the alcohol bottles, or labor activists being murdered with chainsaws on coca cola company products, or a human arse hole on most of the papers.

That wouldn't really change all that much with the page three history.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There was an anti-vax protest in Bournemouth today. They might have had more chance of being taken seriously if the protesters hadn't included people in Trump/MAGA hats, placard-waving 5G/New World Order/Bill Gates putting microchips in you conspiracists, and a Karen screaming "Don't you dare spit at me!" at random bystanders (who weren't spitting at her).

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
what even is the basis of their protest at this point?

we've been vaccinated against covid for a fair while now and nobody has turned into a zombie-vampire or w/e they were hysterical about when it was a new thing

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RDevz posted:

There's a condition in the Generation Licence (Condition 17A, paragraph 6) that the company owning the wind farms will have that says that they're not allowed to cross-subsidise any other part of their group. Selling power at anything other than fair market price would be classed as a cross-subsidy and therefore a licence breach. So if Shell own the wind farms, they'll be forced to sell at the current, absurdly high, market prices; and if they're buying in power via PPAs with third parties, the owners of the wind farms aren't going to give a discount on their power, as that'll cause a revolt by their share holders.

Either way, Shell Energy will be paying full price for power while the companies owning the wind farms will be rolling around in a big pit of money.

I figured they’d be loving me regardless, but it’s very funny that they’re actually contractually obligated to gently caress me, so thank you for this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

what even is the basis of their protest at this point?

we've been vaccinated against covid for a fair while now and nobody has turned into a zombie-vampire or w/e they were hysterical about when it was a new thing
All of those were fake shots, saline. The next one is the one that replaces white people with Chinese and changes the language on your TV box.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

crispix posted:

got to love liz's answers to impending economic collapse that suggest she has read several chapters of a 1990s GCSE economics textbook and comprehended some of it :sparkles:

Just give her a Vogue shoot so she retires and fucks off already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Payndz posted:

There was an anti-vax protest in Bournemouth today. They might have had more chance of being taken seriously if the protesters hadn't included people in Trump/MAGA hats, placard-waving 5G/New World Order/Bill Gates putting microchips in you conspiracists, and a Karen screaming "Don't you dare spit at me!" at random bystanders (who weren't spitting at her).

That's literally all they have, though