Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Wiz posted:

If the mod did not care enough to prevent this, and you did not care enough and played it anyway, what’s the actual issue here?

Probably none, I’m goofin. Every pdx game for some reason always has a lotr overhaul regardless of how poorly the mechanics fit for the setting.

I actually like that I can now get achievs playing as bombala wombla the arctic squirrel who leads the qing dynasty to world domination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ilitarist posted:

Victoria 3 version of npm malicious library disaster: some popular music mod that is used by 50% of community gets patched one day to unlock every achievement for the player leaving them with nothing to strife for in life.

Someone needs to make a "only unlock cheevos in ironman" mod and then do this to it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ChickenWing posted:

Someone needs to make a "only unlock cheevos in ironman" mod and then do this to it.
Whoa there satan,take it easy.

Wait no that might be worth it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Noachievement for playing as God's Chinese son huh.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The solution is simple: make an achievement for getting all achievements with Ironman on.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

The solution is simple: make an achievement for getting all achievements with Ironman on.

Or an achievement for getting all achievements that do not require achieving themselves

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I can't wait to make a SMAC mod for Victoria III. Just started playing it again, and I can't help but to think how well it would transfer over.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

scaterry posted:

Or an achievement for getting all achievements that do not require achieving themselves

Make an achievement for finishing a full game while having 0 achievements unlocked.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

A achievement for getting your first achievement

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

An achievement for having a dinner date with a Queen Victoria body pillow and posting it on social media.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

An achievement for programming a mod that programs the full Victoria's Secret game inside Victoria 3.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

An achievement for building a car factory and naming it SAAB

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Achievements are such a goofy thing to me in PDX games because mods are so ubiquitous to all of them. I have 1100 hours in Stellaris and 20 achievements out of 135. My last unlocked achievement was Archeologist in 2019.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Paradox games are one of the few times I actually care about achievements. Giving you specific, creative challenges in a sandbox with a lot of variable starts is a great way of focusing the experience.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never played a paradox game unmodded or in ironman so I have 0 cheevos despite like 5k hours combined. I'm actually looking forward to purposefully playing to get them in V3, it's fun to have those extra little goals. I just can't stand playing ironman anything so it's never been worth it.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Noachievement for playing as God's Chinese son huh.

Opiate of the Masses: Lead the Taiping Rebellion to victory and reform China into a theocracy

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Mantis42 posted:

Paradox games are one of the few times I actually care about achievements. Giving you specific, creative challenges in a sandbox with a lot of variable starts is a great way of focusing the experience.

good news: this is unaffected entirely and you can still do this without any concerns whatsoever

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

TwoQuestions posted:

I can't wait to make a SMAC mod for Victoria III. Just started playing it again, and I can't help but to think how well it would transfer over.

God, SMAC on an engine and UI that isn't older than me would be glorious. I'm fully expecting the most popular TC mod will be some kind of steampunk total conversion, plus Anbennar and TNO ports/knockoffs, but I'm really holding out for a good SMAC mod too. Or at least relatively grounded sci fi of some flavor.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

good news: this is unaffected entirely and you can still do this without any concerns whatsoever

i was responding to the goon who was like "who even cares about achievements?"

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Mantis42 posted:

i was responding to the goon who was like "who even cares about achievements?"

fair, sorry came in a lil hot

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
$4.99 to unlock achievements in Ironman

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

$4.99 to unlock achievements in Ironman

$9.99 to unlock Ironman

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
$19.99 to turn Ironman back off.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

God, SMAC on an engine and UI that isn't older than me

:ohno:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mantis42 posted:

Yeah, same.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Opiate of the Masses: Lead the Taiping Rebellion to victory and reform China into a theocracy

Exactly! Please add it in a patch or something, just for me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

God, SMAC on an engine and UI that isn't older than me would be glorious. I'm fully expecting the most popular TC mod will be some kind of steampunk total conversion, plus Anbennar and TNO ports/knockoffs, but I'm really holding out for a good SMAC mod too. Or at least relatively grounded sci fi of some flavor.

Remember when Firaxis made a SMAC pseudo-remake in the Civ 5 engine and it sucked?

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Remember when Firaxis made a SMAC pseudo-remake in the Civ 5 engine and it sucked?

Don't you loving dare bring that evil in here

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

firaxis hasnt made a good-to-great game since civ4 beyond the sword.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

XCOM 1 was great

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

XCOM 1 was great

oh poo poo. yeah i forgot about that. xcom 1 and 2 and their dlc's are great. really great. dang. i apologize for impugning the firaxis community.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

civ 6 is pretty good. districts were a good idea

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

it was an idea they lifted wholesale from endless legend! the game is bad bc it's just a sandbox without any real decisioning! arghhgh

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Lady Radia posted:

oh poo poo. yeah i forgot about that. xcom 1 and 2 and their dlc's are great. really great. dang. i apologize for impugning the firaxis community.

The Chosen DLC for XCOM2 completely ruined the game for me. Keep the railroading in Vicky games, please.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

THE BAR posted:

The Chosen DLC for XCOM2 completely ruined the game for me.

I adore XCOM1 and still didn't get to playing the second one properly. The expansion seems to be wellhregarded but I also see many people recommend play the game without it. I think Victoria 3 thread will really benefit from you explaining this stuff about XCOM2.

Also Firaxis have their problems but apart from the initial Civ5 game and the sci-fi game that was erased from the history records (and starships game that was erased even harder) they didn't really produced a bad game. Even their second-grade games were decent, it's just their usual production is genrehdefining. You can't deny modern strategy gaming is defined by Civ5 and XCOM.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

ilitarist posted:

I adore XCOM1 and still didn't get to playing the second one properly. The expansion seems to be wellhregarded but I also see many people recommend play the game without it. I think Victoria 3 thread will really benefit from you explaining this stuff about XCOM2.

Also Firaxis have their problems but apart from the initial Civ5 game and the sci-fi game that was erased from the history records (and starships game that was erased even harder) they didn't really produced a bad game. Even their second-grade games were decent, it's just their usual production is genrehdefining. You can't deny modern strategy gaming is defined by Civ5 and XCOM.

It was less the gameplay decisions for the DLC, and more everything around it. A linear mission structure wrangled into the base game's more sandboxy design. Cutscenes with characters who would never shut the hell up, ruining the unknowable enemy that has been key to the setting since the original X-COM.

Replacing the :krad: loadout music before missions with an inferior track. :argh:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Understood. I see how spending a lot of time on missions with Councilor Troy and Worf can feel un-XCOM-ish. It was also strange in XCOM1 where the only "real" characters on the battlefield were Chinese gangster and French psionic.

In terms of music at least they've added a choice to select game ost including an option for a new arrangement of the original MicroProse game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

ilitarist posted:

Gotcha.

In terms of music at least they've added a choice to select game ost including an option for a new arrangement of the original MicroProse game.

Haven't seen that, neat enough!

I just prefer my X-COMses completely freeform, but I can totally understand wanting to show off your fancy new cutscenes and models.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

THE BAR posted:

The Chosen DLC for XCOM2 completely ruined the game for me. Keep the railroading in Vicky games, please.

Well I for one love spending the first ten hours of my game mindlessly going in and out of the strategic map as an endless stream of scripted updates keeps interrupting me the moment I unpause time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

TwoQuestions posted:

How can I send you my CV?

(It's blank)