Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I'm hoping yang is actually a mao third worldist hoping to break the siege. But disguised as a goofy weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

ellasmith posted:

Lmao why did you go to university of phoenix?

Their business model was scamming people. Their victims saw their peers making better lives through studying and taking on loans at nonprofit colleges/universities. They capitalized on this and scammed people into believing they'd be able to improve their lives better through studying and taking on loans at University of Phoenix. It's real hosed up to blame someone for seeing their peers doing the same thing and then being fooled by a multi billion dollar scam.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

They capitalized on this and scammed people into believing they'd be able to improve their lives better through studying and taking on loans at University of Phoenix.

Yep, if you're trying to sell something, find the pain, like in this UOP ad.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

Riven posted:

I was working full time and didn’t have parental support and nobody else at the time offered a full bachelor program that was at night. All the night programs were “get your Bachelor’s from your Associate’s” but I didn’t have that. My community college record was an A, 3 Fs and 7 withdrawals. I had taken CA’s equivalency exam so my high school diploma was from the state and I didn’t have a GPA. I have a couple mental health issues that by that time I had overcome but basically at the time it felt like my most realistic option for getting a degree in less than 8 years.

You don’t have to justify yourself to anyone on this dead Internet forum but you kick rear end dude.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Riven posted:

I was working full time and didn’t have parental support and nobody else at the time offered a full bachelor program that was at night. All the night programs were “get your Bachelor’s from your Associate’s” but I didn’t have that. My community college record was an A, 3 Fs and 7 withdrawals. I had taken CA’s equivalency exam so my high school diploma was from the state and I didn’t have a GPA. I have a couple mental health issues that by that time I had overcome but basically at the time it felt like my most realistic option for getting a degree in less than 8 years.

Grats on getting all your loans forgiven and money back. Hopefully, even though Phoenix was a scammy school, your degree at least helped a little bit. Since you are getting it all back, at least you can't say it was overpriced any more.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

ellasmith posted:

gently caress off, you condescending rear end in a top hat

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Also, if I remember some article I read, up to the mid-90s University of Phoenix was a genuinely useful institution serving an under-supplied market (people who'd missed out on the traditional college experience, and wanted to study for a degree while working full-time). It was only after that market was tapped-out and the money-men were demanding more year-on-year growth that they transitioned into a DeVos-style scam school.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
My mother took advantage of phoenix specifically through the following equation:

1. my workplace has mandatory requirements for being permitted the highest tiers of pension on retirement
2. one of them is a degree i have never needed and will never use, especially given that i'm retiring in 2 years
3. this university of phoenix poo poo here is absolutely a worthless degree mill i can sleepwalk through at the lowest cost, and it counts for the requirement

she cynically powered through it in record time and every aspect of the experience was darkly hilarious to her as a senior educator

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Do the degrees themselves retain any value? Or are they still accepted? I'd assume they lost their accreditation at some point.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 20, 2022

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

ellasmith posted:

gently caress off. Scams prey on folks who don't have many good options. There's also plenty of people who got roped into going to 'real' colleges and got just as ripped off as any University Of Phoenix student ever did. It's kind of the reason there's such a big push for student loan relief in this country. You should read up on it, it's actually sort of a big thing, and it's kind of shocking someone posting in this thread of all places is seemingly ignorant of it.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
I apologize, I was being a dick there.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

^burtle posted:

gently caress yeah, dont give up

I mean for clarity I didn’t! I went there from 2006-2009. I now have further education and a two careers (in education and tech) under my belt. I posted it because while it’s far from full forgiveness this will still be huge, 10s of thousands of dollars each, for a lot of people. Most of my classmates at the Phoenix campus in Oakland were women of color getting the same raw deal I was.

I was a little surprised I posted positive loan forgiveness news and the only reply was “lol dummy why’d you take those loans”

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
Apologies for posting about posters but as a mostly-lurker I am pleased to see how that University of Phoenix discussion played out, especially this.

ellasmith posted:

I apologize, I was being a dick there.

I feel like most of the time when someone is being an rear end in a top hat and rightfully gets called out, they either double down or disappear. I wish this was the kind of discourse I could see more often both here and off the internet.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Student loan forgiveness gets a bad rap bc the face of it is cringe ivy league failures

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Just saw the other replies that came in while I was writing that lol. Thanks. In terms of the usefulness, I graduated into the recession with a useless business degree in terms of getting hired. I ended up going further into debt to get a Master’s of Special Education (not from Phoenix) mainly to give back to my own experience in school. Now I’m in tech.

My wife and I were going to do PSLF but they were denying 99% of the applications, which felt right after my TEACH grants got converted into loans because on final review of my four years of paperwork they didn’t like all the signatures. We’re fortunate to be doing pretty well but with this giant sword of damocles hanging over us, this is one chunk of that falling away hopefully.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I went to a state university, didn't know poo poo about money. Had every angle of society tell me I had to have a college degree, and now I'm super hosed with college debt until a parent passes away and I can sell a house. I had zero guidance from either parent on what the actual costs of college were, how to pay for it, etc. Other than just go to college. Literally any chance of building a future right now is on hold because of it. I make decent money right now, but still can't think of buying a house, or starting a family. I'm focusing on building career skills because in the short term is the only real option. Another 15-20k/yr would help quite a bit. It's my own doing, I get it, but at 18-22 I literally had no concept of what I was doing to future me.

A 10k option from Biden is laughable in my situation, but I know it would be big for other people.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Zotix posted:

I went to a state university, didn't know poo poo about money. Had every angle of society tell me I had to have a college degree, and now I'm super hosed with college debt until a parent passes away and I can sell a house. I had zero guidance from either parent on what the actual costs of college were, how to pay for it, etc. Other than just go to college. Literally any chance of building a future right now is on hold because of it. I make decent money right now, but still can't think of buying a house, or starting a family. I'm focusing on building career skills because in the short term is the only real option. Another 15-20k/yr would help quite a bit. It's my own doing, I get it, but at 18-22 I literally had no concept of what I was doing to future me.

A 10k option from Biden is laughable in my situation, but I know it would be big for other people.

part of the problem is that education became big business with all the trappings like advertising that comes along with that. As a huge money-making venture, it had to entice customers and other funding.

Talk to people who have been in admin for decades (who are probably retired now) but they will tell you how much it transformed over that time.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Zotix posted:

I am sorry to be the one to tell you this but our for profit medical and nursing home industries are gonna milk your parents for every cent they have.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
DeSantis on the case regarding all this massive voter fraud. Oddly, the known cases from The Villages are not on this list

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/r...=yhoof2&tesla=y

Ron DeSantis says his new election police have turned up 20 cases of voter fraud in 2020, when Floridians cast more than 11 million ballots

quote:

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Thursday announced criminal charges against 20 people for illegally voting in 2020, the first major public move from the Republican’s controversial new election-police unit.

DeSantis said the people charged were convicted of murder or a felony sexual offense and therefore exempt from a constitutional amendment that restores voting rights to some felons. He said most of those charged were from Broward, Miami-Dade or Palm Beach counties, all Democratic strongholds. He released few details.

The 20 people were among more than 11 million Florida voters who cast ballots in the 2020 election.

“They did not go through any process, they did not get their rights restored, and yet they went ahead and voted anyways,” DeSantis said at a campaign-style event in Fort Lauderdale before cheering supporters. “That is against the law and now they’re gonna pay the price for it.”

An Associated Press investigation of the 2020 presidential election found fewer than 475 potential cases of voter fraud out of 25.5 million ballots cast in the six states where Trump and his allies disputed his loss to Democratic President Joe Biden. DeSantis has previously praised Florida for carrying out a smooth election in 2020.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BiggerBoat posted:

DeSantis on the case regarding all this massive voter fraud. Oddly, the known cases from The Villages are not on this list

Ron DeSantis says his new election police have turned up 20 cases of voter fraud in 2020, when Floridians cast more than 11 million ballots
Holy poo poo, that's disgusting.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

JazzFlight posted:

Holy poo poo, that's disgusting.

Look, it was all (((those))) kinds of people. You know the ones. They did the bad thing on purpose by not knowing when the news spent months talking about felons getting their right to vote restored it didn't apply to them because they're the double plus ungood kind of bad. Now the people in the villages that did poo poo like straight up voting twice or voting for other people? Yeah they're totes innocent. Can't hold it against them innocent mistake anyone could make it as long as they voted for the right team.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cranappleberry posted:

part of the problem is that education became big business with all the trappings like advertising that comes along with that. As a huge money-making venture, it had to entice customers and other funding.

Talk to people who have been in admin for decades (who are probably retired now) but they will tell you how much it transformed over that time.

A lot of the reason why colleges became that way was due to the massive amounts of $$$ from government student loans. Colleges had very little incentive to control costs and their budgets, tuitions, etc. ballooned. Colleges spend a lot of money on buildings, amenities, administrator salaries etc. which have very little to do with education.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BiggerBoat posted:

I read about this this morning, and it's just your standard fascism poo poo. He's absolute garbage. These people's lives will be ruined because he needs to score cheap political points in an election he will almost certainly win in November.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I read about this this morning, and it's just your standard fascism poo poo. He's absolute garbage. These people's lives will be ruined because he needs to score cheap political points in an election he will almost certainly win in November.

This is the new template for the GOP and their front runners moving forward for the foreseeable future and I see no way how it gets derailed. We're seeing it right now. They have to keep getting meaner and meaner and be progressively bigger assholes to even have a hope of winning a primary. We're going to be dealing with this for some time and I don't see enough will or strength in the democratic party to do much about it.

Down here in increasingly red Florida, they loving LOVE DeSantis and Trump. Some guy running down here yesterday said that if he's elected, then FBI agents can legally be shot on sight before (somewhat) walking back but not really. These people are insane and I am surrounded by a lot of them.

EDIT"

Here's the shoot the FBI guy

quote:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-election/gop-candidate-florida-house-booted-twitter-post-shooting-federal-agent-rcna44020

A Republican candidate seeking a House seat in the Florida Legislature had his Twitter account yanked this week after a post about violence against federal agents.

Luis Miguel, who's running in Florida's House District 20, said on Twitter that under his plan, federal agents could be shot on sight in the state.

Miguel confirmed to NBC News that his tweet on Thursday said: “Under my plan, all Floridians will have permission to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF and all other feds on sight! Let freedom ring!”

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 20, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So how is that different from just advocating for armed insurrection?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

So how is that different from just advocating for armed insurrection?

Zero.

Zero different.

The dude semi walked it back with some weird explanation that seemed to touch on secession and that if Florida made its own state law or something that the FBI would have no jurisdiction and because "freedom" means "shooting things" mostly that Florida residents would within their rights to mow down feds if they set foot on someone's property.

Real great loving country we got here. I need to get the gently caress out of this hell hole state but move to...where?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

do postal workers count as federal agents?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

a.lo posted:

do postal workers count as federal agents?

Only when delivering mail you don't like

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BiggerBoat posted:

Is this gonna end up being one of those things when those cases of "election fraud" turns out to be some republican voter trying to see how easy it is doing election fraud?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Only when delivering mail you don't like

Like ballots

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Madkal posted:

Is this gonna end up being one of those things when those cases of "election fraud" turns out to be some republican voter trying to see how easy it is doing election fraud?

No those mysteriously aren't being prosecuted, or at least not trumpeted by DeSantis.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Madkal posted:

Is this gonna end up being one of those things when those cases of "election fraud" turns out to be some republican voter trying to see how easy it is doing election fraud?it ooo8oo
P
Iirc they found some ex-felons who were falsely registered (which is easy to do accidentally because DeSantis required them to pay court fees, there's no state database to check if you're in good standing, and the bureaucracy in Florida is chronically underfunded). Said ex-felons had scary sounding convictions ( murder, armed robbery, sex offenders, etc.)

It's intended to have a chilling effect on ex-felons (no this isn't a poll tax just don't look at incarceration stats) and also make critics look :airquote: Pro murder :airquote:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Zero.

Zero different.

The dude semi walked it back with some weird explanation that seemed to touch on secession and that if Florida made its own state law or something that the FBI would have no jurisdiction and because "freedom" means "shooting things" mostly that Florida residents would within their rights to mow down feds if they set foot on someone's property.

Real great loving country we got here. I need to get the gently caress out of this hell hole state but move to...where?

If you have like 400,000k Portugal will take you in.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1560827752214937600

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I would really like to know this because it's probably Rick Scott embezzled all of it to support his dead-on-arrival presidential run.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I am sorry to be the one to tell you this but our for profit medical and nursing home industries are gonna milk your parents for every cent they have.

So, this wasn't a very nice thing to say. There are a couple other ways you could have handled this.

One is to use it as a jumping off point to further discuss the details of how one or both of those things exploit the elderly. This is still more sadmaking than I'd entirely personally prefer, but eh, it'd at least contribute more to the discussion, and the dnd climate change thread (for example) is the way it is, so there's clearly some space for posting actively depressing things. This is not what your post was.

Another is to use it as a jumping off point to discuss how to protect one's relatives from those exploitations. This would be productive, less immediately depressing, and heck, actively helpful to more goons than just Zotix in their actual real world lives. This is also not what your post was.

Your post, at absolute best, was a low-contribution one-liner where you knew for a fact that it would emotionally hurt the person you were responding to, when they were clearly already fretting. I do not like that. Surely we, dnd / something awful as a whole, can discuss things while being kind and compassionate to each other.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

evilweasel posted:

I would really like to know this because it's probably Rick Scott embezzled all of it to support his dead-on-arrival presidential run.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1560830644418117634

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

amazing what 150m in stolen money got him common image-boosting!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Like, what even IS Rick Scott's brand these days outside of "the guy who steals all your money if you put him in charge of something where there is money that can be stolen"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

From what I understand the NRSC is less powerful than the DSCC because the Republicans get more self-funded candidates than Democrats.

nine-gear crow posted:

Like, what even IS Rick Scott's brand these days outside of "the guy who steals all your money if you put him in charge of something where there is money that can be stolen"?

Florida Con Man and apparently that means you get a band of Floridians to give you elected positions for life.