Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kvlt! posted:

Does anyone know where I can watch Scott Hall wrestling in Japan/at NJPW? There are clips on youtube but I was hoping to watch full matches/shows

NJPW World has 1 match: with Chono & Nash vs Keiji Mutoh & the Steiners in 1997

Here's a Daily Motion link for Mutoh vs Hall for the All Japan Triple Crown, in a New Japan ring in 2001

And here is an earlier match with Hall & Punisher Dice Morgan (aka Mean Mark Callous/The Undertaker) vs Masa Saito & Shinya Hashimoto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Those are exactly the type of stuff I was looking for, thank you!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Prey of the Dead sounds like a concerted effort to name yourself the lowest possible form of life, like the opposite of an apex predator (oh, a "primary consumer," sounds so capitalist). I am kind of in love with that name now

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Prey of the Dead was the nadir of Romero's career.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Your question made me have a squiz on NJPW World as well, and I discovered a category called "nWo Typhoon," which appears to be a match-type that I'm assuming nWo Japan used to do. However, all I can think about now is nWo Tugboat, so, uh, thanks, I guess.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

Your question made me have a squiz on NJPW World as well, and I discovered a category called "nWo Typhoon," which appears to be a match-type that I'm assuming nWo Japan used to do. However, all I can think about now is nWo Tugboat, so, uh, thanks, I guess.

nWo Typhoon was another name for nWo Japan, and I believe NJPW also used the name for a tour that a few of the US guys carne over for.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Was Tugboat supposed to be a boat?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was Tugboat supposed to be a boat?

He was supposed to be a sailor. When he came in he was "Tugboat" Thomas, but the WWF dropped the "Thomas" and he just became "Tugboat".

He was also not the only "Tugboat" in wrestling at the time. There was a "Tugboat" Taylor in Global too.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

To be fair, I wouldn't want to fight a tugboat

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'll fight a tugboat, I'll suplex a canal barge, I don't give a poo poo any more

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'd probably fight a tugboat if I foolishly lost my soul to the Devil via gambling and this was the only way to win it back.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

also, Scott Hall once fought Tanahashi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1YeYXBiB7g and lost

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Davros1 posted:

He was supposed to be a sailor. When he came in he was "Tugboat" Thomas, but the WWF dropped the "Thomas" and he just became "Tugboat".

Oh so Vince has been doing this one name thing forever is what I’m hearing.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

This was also around the point Tony Atlas Tooooooony Atlas became Saba Simba, Ricky Steamboat became The Dragon, etc. I'm sure there were examples before that but the weird renaming tick really seems to have struck Vince in the early 90s

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

harperdc posted:

Oh so Vince has been doing this one name thing forever is what I’m hearing.
That is what I thought when I saw that, and then I spent so much time contemplating what drives this that I started wondering if it is like Stan Lee using alliteration to make names easier to remember. NOBODY HAS TIME TO REMEMBER TWO WORDS DAMMIT

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DeathChicken posted:

This was also around the point Tony Atlas Tooooooony Atlas became Saba Simba, Ricky Steamboat became The Dragon, etc. I'm sure there were examples before that but the weird renaming tick really seems to have struck Vince in the early 90s

Then Davey Boy Smith became simply "The British Bulldog", and Kerry Von Erich was simply "The Texas Tornado".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

Steamboat was the biggest example to a young me, who grew up on JCP and not the year or two before saw Ricky be NWA world champ and here he was doing sideshow work as the opener spraying fire and his biggest match being a six man tag at Summerslam. I thought somebody should have a word with Jack Tunney.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Lamuella posted:

I'll fight a tugboat, I'll suplex a canal barge, I don't give a poo poo any more

I'LL SLAP A TORNADO
I'LL DRY UP A SEA, YEAH

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The late 1980s/early 1990s in WWE saw:

The Model Rick Martel
The British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith
Mister Perfect Curt Hennig
The Canadian Earthquake John Tenta
Texas Tornado Kerry Von Erich
Ricky The Dragon Steamboat
Butch Miller and Luke Williams, The Sheepherders Bushwhackers
Magnificent Don Muraco
The Genius Lanny Poffo
Tugboat Thomas

They weren't as lockstep with it as 2010s WWE, but even beyond full erasures there were points where they seemed to be pushing pretty hard to exclusively refer to wrestlers as "Macho King" or "The Rocket" or "Million Dollar Man" without the use of their real/established names.

The weirdest one looking through old promotional material was the period where they decided he was just FUJI, not Mr. Fuji.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 22, 2022

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
In an alternate timeline, would Austin have eventually just been Chilly or would he have been McFreeze

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lunatic Sledge posted:

In an alternate timeline, would Austin have eventually just been Chilly or would he have been McFreeze

Beautiful Steven, eventually shortened to Beautiful

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ice. Just plain ol' Ice.

Shortened from Ice Dagger of course.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

No no his name just keeps getting elongated with bits from the other suggested names. Baron Chilly von Ice Ruthless Dagger McFreeze

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Had there ever been grumbles between
The wwf/wwe and Nintendo over the fact there’s a guy called “super macho man” in punch out?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

vince's grip on names like hulk and macho man was an extremely narrow band that applied to pro wrestling only. he took them from elsewhere too. i'd be interested to know if they sent a courtesy "pls stop :(" too though

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Manwithastick posted:

Had there ever been grumbles between
The wwf/wwe and Nintendo over the fact there’s a guy called “super macho man” in punch out?
macho man was a term before Randy Savage got popular, the village people made a song about it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Didn't Chris Jericho say that WWF offered him the Goon gimmick and he turned it down?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

Didn't Chris Jericho say that WWF offered him the Goon gimmick and he turned it down?

I believe so. Cornette wanted him to be in that crop of 'themed job guys' for lack of a better term.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Was it confirmed that they offered him that gimmick or did he just assume they would give it to him since the offer was around that time? I thought it was the latter but could be wrong.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Tampa Bae posted:

macho man was a term before Randy Savage got popular, the village people made a song about it

also, Randy Savage started using the term in the mid-70s, so it wasn't even Vince's to begin with

https://www.ign.com/articles/2004/05/29/randy-savage-interview posted:

IGN Sports: Who gave you the Macho Man name?

Randy Savage:
 The truth behind that is my mom was reading Reader's Digest one day, long before the Macho Man song came out, and they said in this article that Macho Man was going to be the next hot term.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Venomous posted:

also, Randy Savage started using the term in the mid-70s, so it wasn't even Vince's to begin with

As if that would ever stop Vince from being petty about something

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How is Mongo doing?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Re: Jericho and the Goon gimmick. Did they supposedly just want to give it to him because Jericho's dad was a hockey player?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I listened the first two google results (Jericho and Cornette) and Jericho says that WWF asked him to be a highlighted jobber, but he wasn't available at the time and later assumed that they were planning the goon role for him.

Meanwhile Cornette seems to have no clue about it (despite being the one who offered Jericho that gig). However, he seems to be confused if the question is them wanting to make Jericho the Goon in 1999.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Re: Jericho and the Goon gimmick. Did they supposedly just want to give it to him because Jericho's dad was a hockey player?

It probably wasn’t any deeper thought than him being Canadian

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How is Mongo doing?

https://www.reddit.com/r/CHIBears/comments/vwvtg6/dan_hampton_visits_steve_mongo_mcmichael/

Not great but he's got friends and family visiting at least.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you, he always seemed like a nice person.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has a referee ever caused a wrestler to significantly botch in a televised event? Being out of position or not getting out of the way in time or something. Kind of a general question I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has a referee ever caused a wrestler to significantly botch in a televised event? Being out of position or not getting out of the way in time or something. Kind of a general question I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOm_a8XcYsk