Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

this is making me so drat hungry rn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Now that’s the business right there :aaa:
I love the stripes of pepps and sauce.

Edit: NY test

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 7, 2022

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If I was near your place in Vegas I'd be dead in a year but I would die very very happy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

weekend before was an indian pizza with tandoori chicken, this time for the curry sauce i put in greek yogurt instead of cream and got a much redder and spicier sauce

Time traveling a bit.

My experience with yogurt and Indian is that you do need intense heat to get the good crispies from it. So that's consistent. Cooking that in pan just kind of gives off some curds.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Put all the cupped pepperoni in a square in the top left and you have a kickass American flag pizza.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Time traveling a bit.

My experience with yogurt and Indian is that you do need intense heat to get the good crispies from it. So that's consistent. Cooking that in pan just kind of gives off some curds.

that explains what went wrong with some of my "this would get me declared persona non grata in india and pakistan" curries from my colleg eyears

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Gwaihir posted:

If I was near your place in Vegas I'd be dead in a year but I would die very very happy.

:same:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Perhaps this is heresy, but can anyone recommend a gluten free dough recipe? Yeah, it's not ideal, but it turns out my spouse is gluten sensitive and housing a couple pizzas together is a recipe for disaster. It should go without saying that eating less pizza isn't an option.

I've got basically every kind of gluten free flour, but I have no idea what is a good recipe. Most of the recipes I've looked up say to use an appalling amount of...milk? The egg is one thing, but 2 cups of milk?

The biggest problem I've encountered so far is that these flours bake up fine, but don't make a proper ball of dough that you can roll around, stretch, roll out, etc. It's more of a paste, and a lot harder to work with.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gluten is gluten and you cannot really replicate it, except maybe with some gums or shenanigans. Even like a pure rye will be more of a batter or sponge since that doesn't have the stretchy protein.

While not having to make gluten free pizza I imagine looking at gluten free cracker or "flour" tortilla methods could be translated to whatever recipe.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Perhaps this is heresy, but can anyone recommend a gluten free dough recipe? Yeah, it's not ideal, but it turns out my spouse is gluten sensitive and housing a couple pizzas together is a recipe for disaster. It should go without saying that eating less pizza isn't an option.

I've got basically every kind of gluten free flour, but I have no idea what is a good recipe. Most of the recipes I've looked up say to use an appalling amount of...milk? The egg is one thing, but 2 cups of milk?

The biggest problem I've encountered so far is that these flours bake up fine, but don't make a proper ball of dough that you can roll around, stretch, roll out, etc. It's more of a paste, and a lot harder to work with.

All the GF pizza doughs I've seen will turn into a cracker or flat bread. It's the problem with not having gluten, but at least celiac intestines aren't doing backflips. Here's the one that I've used for my celiac family for over 15 years. Use whatever GF flour you like the taste of the best. Roll it out as thin as you can manage. The yeast is there for flavor, it's not really going to rise. Honey is optional, but the flavor can be nice. I'll prep this an hour before I bake it.

2 1/4 cups gluten free flour (1 1/8 cups brown rice flour + 1 1/8 cups oat flour)
1 tsp dry yeast
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 Tbl olive oil
1 Tbl honey
1 cup warm water

Edit: This is a 425-450 F oven. You'll have to trial and error to find your ideal crust bake. I like hot and crispy, but some people are heathens and want it droopy and do it at 400. It'll take 10ish minutes.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 10, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thanks! I'll probably get a chance to try this on Sunday.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a reason that from-scratch pizza recipes are all 'do it at a quadrillion (500-530) degrees' whereas the, for instance, target good and gather pizzas (used to be archer's farm pizzas) say 425? I've never made a home pizza as good as the target ones either.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you're going to use a GF flour, our hotel's pastry chef swears by Thomas Keller's cup4cup

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

redreader posted:

Is there a reason that from-scratch pizza recipes are all 'do it at a quadrillion (500-530) degrees' whereas the, for instance, target good and gather pizzas (used to be archer's farm pizzas) say 425? I've never made a home pizza as good as the target ones either.

Frozen pizzas are afaik all parcooked

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

redreader posted:

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Frozen pizzas are afaik all parcooked

This, but the raw dough rising crust ones I would guess have enough sugar and modified starches to brown at lower temps.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

redreader posted:

Older ovens are lucky if they can hit 500 and actually hold it, and food manufacturers develop for the lowest common denominator (i.e., a toaster oven with a 450 max).

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Well I can’t back out now

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

yeah buddy

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ogopogo posted:

:black101:

This rules so hard and I want to go to a goon pizzeria.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yukon Pizza?

Yes! Yes I can pizza!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

ogopogo posted:

Awesome! Good luck!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i have somehow managed to never go to vegas before despite living one state over but if i ever go i'm obliged to swing by Yukon Pizza

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
All are welcome! We’ll have beer and wine too, plus a full menu our chef is working up. Would be awesome to feed some goons who’ve been watching this whole journey.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

ogopogo posted:

Now that’s the business right there :aaa:
I love the stripes of pepps and sauce.

Edit: NY test

As someone from the NY area, maybe a tad ore sauce near the edge of the crust but otherwise this totally checks out :hmmyes:

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

GramCracker posted:

As someone from the NY area, maybe a tad ore sauce near the edge of the crust but otherwise this totally checks out :hmmyes:

Heard! Will do that next time for sure. I’ve been going back and forth between sauce on top vs. sauce on bottom, both are good, just have to land on a way that we like…

Also working on focaccia, this is 100% hydration with some everything bagel seasoning on top. Very loving good.

And finally another Detroit from the other night

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just got around to measuring the containers I use for proofing. They are tapered and are narrow at the bottom. The bottom dimensions are 9.5" and 15.5". My dough balls are about 360 grams. Four dough balls cold fermented in them just start to touch each other. If I start packing them tighter, they will butt up against each other and start to square out. Tearing them out then causes some irregularities in the dough that I can't avoid when pulling the dough. Well, that's my story on it anyways. I wanted to know if nobody else has a problem when they start crowding a similar amount of space.

My alternate scheme is to use one tub as a big batch lump and then ball them out somewhat as I go. They'd get maybe something like 30 minutes to rise again together and hopefully smooth themselves out. I haven't tried it and probably won't for a long time; I'm moving out of this house next week and I'll be ovenless a while.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just got around to measuring the containers I use for proofing. They are tapered and are narrow at the bottom. The bottom dimensions are 9.5" and 15.5". My dough balls are about 360 grams. Four dough balls cold fermented in them just start to touch each other. If I start packing them tighter, they will butt up against each other and start to square out. Tearing them out then causes some irregularities in the dough that I can't avoid when pulling the dough. Well, that's my story on it anyways. I wanted to know if nobody else has a problem when they start crowding a similar amount of space.

My alternate scheme is to use one tub as a big batch lump and then ball them out somewhat as I go. They'd get maybe something like 30 minutes to rise again together and hopefully smooth themselves out. I haven't tried it and probably won't for a long time; I'm moving out of this house next week and I'll be ovenless a while.

I just take a lightly oiled plastic bench scraper (if the dough won't stick to yours, don't oil it) and turn them back into individual balls when they grow together. It's not perfect of course, but it works for the container I use that's about half the size as yours for two balls. It still causes a little bit of an imperfection, but much less than when I just tried to pull it apart. And it's small enough that just shaping the pie will usually make it disappear enough where I can't tell. I don't have the space or practice a professional kitchen has, but it works pretty well and no one's ever the wiser.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Finally snagged a quick video of what I do when getting dough out of a tray.

And a Sicilian corner

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Whats in the big bowl that you tossed the dough ball into?

Getting the hang of running the ooni at full blast and not making charcoal.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

NomNomNom posted:

Whats in the big bowl that you tossed the dough ball into?

Getting the hang of running the ooni at full blast and not making charcoal.

Pizza is looking good!

We use semola, which is a finer grind of semolina. Not grainy at all, but still falls off the dough and doesn’t get sticky ever.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Interesting, do you use that on the peel too for launching? I've had trouble with my assembled pizzas sticking to the peel. Using semolina so far.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

NomNomNom posted:

Interesting, do you use that on the peel too for launching? I've had trouble with my assembled pizzas sticking to the peel. Using semolina so far.

Yeah, it’s loose on the counter top and acts to help keep it stick free before we launch. Here’s a a video of me making a few of our mini personal sized pizzas. One is a garlic heavy white pie and the other is our house made sausage and local farm kale.

We would have done a full video of it going into the oven but we had like 4 tickets spit out during this time so we had to get moving on customer pies haha

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Thanks, appreciate the video! I assume you assemble on the counter and then slide the peel under it for launch?

I guess I might give that a go, will lessen the time the assembled pie sits on the peel.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ogopogo posted:

Finally snagged a quick video of what I do when getting dough out of a tray.

Huh, I had to quote the post to see where the video was hiding, but I figured it out. Your dough balls just touch a little and aren't too puffed out. Whatever I do with my multi-day cold ferment has them crawling all over each other. Maybe I should just pull back on the yeast (?).

Edit: This is my most basic base:
205g high-protein flour (14.7% gluten)
133g water
4g salt
2g yeast

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Huh, I had to quote the post to see where the video was hiding, but I figured it out. Your dough balls just touch a little and aren't too puffed out. Whatever I do with my multi-day cold ferment has them crawling all over each other. Maybe I should just pull back on the yeast (?).

133g water
4g salt
2g yeast

My NY style dough has less than half the yeast for a 3-day cold ferment.

200g hi-pro flour
122g water
5g salt
.56g yeast

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

133g water
4g salt
2g yeast

This is where I wish I had more help - I’m not too familiar with working with yeast, just the sourdough. My best guess would be your water temp and maybe just a bit too much yeast. Multi day cold ferments really are dependent on what you do before and after you put it into the fridge.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ogopogo what % hydration dough do you use?

Pizzas getting fairly reliable nowadays, idk why I only take photos of the anchovy & capers ones but here it is anyway:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Turns out semolina is far superior to cornmeal. Much less trouble with sticking to the peel.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Anybody have suggestions/preference for a same-day dough for a pizza oven, either neapolitan or NY style stuff. I'm not expecting miracles or anything. I have a bread mixer for kneading and the reality is I just never plan ahead but want to be able to throw something together starting at noon or whatever. If anybody has had good luck with any recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's just bread experience. Do a ~ 2/3 hydration with a good bit of yeast and start the dough at a high temp. It'll ferment through in a few hours.

Yesterday I did a 16" pan pizza starting at 3 and eating at about 8 (plus some extra for a calzone today) with:

320g water ~ 95 degrees
500g flour
1 tbs yeast
12g salt

ambient air temp of 71. I didn't take an actual temp of the dough but I think it would have ended up at about 86 degrees.

Kneaded until relatively smooth, folded once. Everything else I did around other errands or dog walking so timing isn't too important. The leftover bit continued to ferment in the fridge into today. We'll see how it handles.