Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Gonna play video games tonight

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Clowner posted:

Any advice?

don't

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Clowner posted:

Any advice?

Katana Zero

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Check out the new Crypt of the Necrodancer DLC.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Clowner posted:

Any advice?

Ultima Online: Outlands

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Some friends and I are going to play Elden Ring and hand off the controller after each death while my wife dies of embarrassment in the next room

Recommending other games defeats the purpose but I want you to know that I still love each and every one of you unconditionally

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Check out the weirdo with friends.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

same but grand theft auto
oh you can just mess around and do whatever you want? run around the world and gently caress around with other peoples' cars for fun? and you never see a game over screen?? sounds pretty lame and boring

e: actually now that i think about it this applies to all 1 million ubisoft style open world minimap-icon-em-up games too. they all have low or nonexistent difficulty/challenge

this is p much why people lose their minds over dark souls, because it's been so goddamn long since there were games challenging anything but your patience

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That and the fall damage, and the cheating AI for NPC invaders, and the sticky grab attacks, and...

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

same but grand theft auto
oh you can just mess around and do whatever you want? run around the world and gently caress around with other peoples' cars for fun? and you never see a game over screen?? sounds pretty lame and boring

e: actually now that i think about it this applies to all 1 million ubisoft style open world minimap-icon-em-up games too. they all have low or nonexistent difficulty/challenge

this is the same argument that causes lottery winners to kill themselves via dumb crap

oh i can just what? go to low earth orbit or whatever? okay i did it. i can just buy a huge estate owned by some king? oh yeah?

okay.

okay.

okay. okay.

this is the reason they are 'games'.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I'm gonna try The Ascent

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Floodixor posted:

I'm gonna try The Ascent

It's very pretty and a little vapid but p fun

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

try going sideways next time, maybe i'll check it out

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Clowner posted:

Any advice?

Path of Exile :twisted:

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Red Dead Redemption 2 is a very pretty and relaxing game to play until you get ambushed and realize the controls and frustrating animation times make you a helpless little baby that cant do the simplest thing.

I JUST WANT TO GO BUY A GODDAMN HAT STOP loving SHOOTING ME

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

X JAKK posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 is a very pretty and relaxing game to play until you get ambushed and realize the controls and frustrating animation times make you a helpless little baby that cant do the simplest thing.

I JUST WANT TO GO BUY A GODDAMN HAT STOP loving SHOOTING ME

can't you just kill a man and take his hat

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Rutibex posted:

can't you just kill a man and take his hat

"I saw that, im gettin the law!"
TIMES INFINITEEEEEE

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

X JAKK posted:

"I saw that, im gettin the law!"
TIMES INFINITEEEEEE

If I saw someone murdered by an old west gun slinger my first instinct would not be to call attention to myself

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Is it even possible to rob trains and make enough money to make it worthwhile in red dead 2?

I took out the guards silently, looted the baggage car and managed to rob a few passengers before the train driver magically knew what was happening and stopped the train and called an enormous posse on me. Took ages to escape and I made maybe $15. You can steal a coach near Emerald Ranch and sell it for $30 in less than five minutes.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

this is p much why people lose their minds over dark souls, because it's been so goddamn long since there were games challenging anything but your patience

people like dark souls because its fun and cool and full of vibes, there are a ton of hard games and a bunch of games that are harder than dark souls if you put it on a higher difficulty.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Caesar Saladin posted:

people like dark souls because its fun and cool and full of vibes, there are a ton of hard games and a bunch of games that are harder than dark souls if you put it on a higher difficulty.

oh what's up I'm back to talk some more about Wizardry

no not really. I'm just here to tell you that Devil Spire is a really great dungeon crawling roguelike, especially for the price. There are some balancing issues in that some spells are a little overpowered, but other than that I think it's a really great game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only Hitman game I have ever enjoyed was Absolution, the one Hitman fans all seem to hate. The Hitman games people like bore the hell out of me.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

veni veni veni posted:

The only Hitman game I have ever enjoyed was Absolution, the one Hitman fans all seem to hate. The Hitman games people like bore the hell out of me.

In Hitman 3 VR, you can run around with a shovel just breaking windows and plates all day

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

X JAKK posted:

In Hitman 3 VR, you can run around with a shovel just breaking windows and plates all day

hitman 2-3 are perfection, mostly. I hated the idea and execution of elusive targets at first but now that there are a ton of them I can usually fire it up and have something cool to do for a bit that I haven't done before. It's annoying because the game is 100 gigs or something and I can't uninstall it because I keep playing it here and there

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
People will like whatever as long as there's hype. It's the only way to explain poo poo like league of legends

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I had a demo disc with the first Hitman when I was a kid and it was too scary for me.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Key kids, remember the Coconut Monkey? From PC Gamer magazine demo discs? Pretty cool dude IMO.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

itry posted:

That and the fall damage, and the cheating AI for NPC invaders, and the sticky grab attacks, and...

lol sure

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I love hearing people complain about dark souls, a game series where you can outlevel the enemies.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Just finished Dishonored again, but this was the first time playing low chaos. It was a lot of fun and really felt like the old Thief games.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sometimes I play a game for like 4 hours hoping I'll get to the fun, clearly there's tons of fun just an hour away. Did you all know there's a new season of Path of Exile?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

satanic splash-back posted:

I love hearing people complain about dark souls, a game series where you can outlevel the enemies.

love to fire up a game of dark souls and see how much brown there is in the textures

as far as the eye can see

brown

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cuz it's poo poo.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They read your inputs.

Edit:

tango alpha delta posted:

Just finished Dishonored again, but this was the first time playing low chaos. It was a lot of fun and really felt like the old Thief games.

It's a really good game. I probably replayed it over 6 times. Last level is more of a spectacle on high chaos, but overall I think playing on low chaos is a more rich experience.

Ideally you should do both to appreciate either more.

itry fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 21, 2022

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Saga Frontier is a really fucken good game and it's kinda amazing that it got a remaster and I can play it on my sony playstation mambo number 5

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Collapsing Farts posted:

People will like whatever as long as there's hype. It's the only way to explain poo poo like league of legends

nobody is out there playing games for hours that they don't enjoy because of "hype" unless they're weirdo pathetic joyless streamers

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

sebmojo posted:

It's very pretty and a little vapid but p fun

yeah that's exactly what I'm experiencing. All of the detail makes me wish they ramped up the RPG stuff more, too. Like oh man, if this was more Shadowrun for the sega genesis style but with these graphics? oh man

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

nobody is out there playing games for hours that they don't enjoy because of "hype" unless they're weirdo pathetic joyless streamers

yeah. And I know that there's a lot of people that like A Thing because they feel like they're supposed to, but it's the same with anything, like if someone hears a lot about how influential Sonic Youth is and then puts on some of their more inaccessible stuff, they can only sit through so much unpleasant guitar feedback before they, even just to themselves, leave it behind

and a game asks a lot more of you, so it's more like "yeah I own Game X, hell yeah, of course I do" and in Steam their playtime is something like 3 hours total

e: fuckin' POSEURS are what i'm talking about here!!!

Floodixor fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 21, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Collapsing Farts posted:

um quite the opposite really, people play games like league of legends because they want one consistent game they can keep coming back to

hype is what causes people to go into a frenzy and buy games like horizon day one even though you can watch 10 seconds of gameplay and feel like you've absorbed it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Sometimes the hype is part of the fun