Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
isn't Space Invaders still, adjusted for inflation, the most profitable video game ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
gently caress maybe YotG really is 1977

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

isn't Space Invaders still, adjusted for inflation, the most profitable video game ever
it's probably roblox by now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Erwin the German posted:

Neat thread. Here’s why it’s 2000.

A day later, on February 4th, we’ve got the Sims. This one is more or less self-explanatory, it was the kickstart of one of EA’s major cash cows that’s going extremely strong to this day - it’s also the one I never actually played, along with the Sims 4 much later on. 2 and 3 were great experiences, though, and I have the original to thank for giving us the Sims 2 console version, which I played a lot of with my siblings on the Gamecube. That was pretty crappy as far as a Sims experience goes, granted, but still - good times. There had been simulation games before the Sims, but this was the one that really shined a spotlight on life simulators - making fictional people and meddling with their lives, dreams and destinies. The Sims was also a major reason a lot of more casually-inclined people and women (those who weren’t into more violent games that made up a majority these days) got into video games in the first place. Pretty big deal!

For being one of the earliest life sims, it also managed to be, mostly accidentally, ahead of its time on homosexuality in games - your sims could kiss whoever they wanted, so long as they were consenting adults. Gay sims could move in together, but they couldn’t get married yet - that would come in the Sims 3 by name, with ‘joined unions’ being in 2. Still, have to commend the developers for letting it happen in the first place, since it wasn’t even initially supposed to be possible. Once they realized it was, though, they just sort of rolled with it.

This is a really great writeup about 2000! That's a year I hadn't really considered but just scrolling down your post before I read it and seeing the box arts I was like "poo poo, that year was stacked."

The Sims is another one of those games whose impact I sometimes forget about because it's not (anymore, at least) the kind of game I spend too much time playing or thinking about. But I loved The Sims when it was new. It was such a weird and different kind of game that absolutely fascinated me at the time. Its impact is important because, at least in the west, it seemed to open up a whole new avenue of gaming for people, and that's cool. Life sims were already a thing, especially in Japan ("dating sims," for example, actually do have pretty in-depth life sim elements as part of them), but The Sims expanding that concept to families and neighborhoods was cool and exciting.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Chairchucker posted:

Not as many games here, but some of them are absolute all timers.

Mass Effect 2. I actually preferred number 3 overall, but on the other hand number 2's ending was better.
Rock Band 3. I'm one of those idiots who bought all the expensive peripherals, including a stringed guitar and proper electronic drum kit. I have so many hours and so much money spent on this fake music game.
Alpha Protocol. Absolutely the best example of reactivity to choices in a video game ever. Shame about the bugs, hey Microsoft buy the license and give us a remaster. Or give us Archer Protocol, either way.
Fallout: New Vegas. It's the best Fallout game.

dang, you pulled out 3 of my all time favorite games right here. I think I was the perfect age for putting in so many hours into Mass Effect 2, Alpha Protocol, and Fallout New Vegas. High school was fun (for nerds like me sitting inside playing video games all night long :allears:). I've played through Alpha Protocol and ME2 so many different times. So many choices and new things to try! Loved trying to do the no-kill run in Alpha Protocol

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Jay Rust posted:

Realtalk how did you guys even get started with your lists, did you pick a game you liked and then looked up other games that came out that year?
Mostly, but besides my favorite (Dungeons of Daggorath) I knew 1982 was busy; the arcades at animatronic pizza joints, bowling allies were full of games. E.T. the Extraterrestrial was released for the 2600 (well, that wasn't a good thing), but we had a spooky survival game,a classic side-scrolling shooter, and a ton of other games. Those I had to look up.

I don't know how different my life would have been with a Commodore 64 instead of a Trash 80, but the 64 was a pivotal moment for a lot of folks which would love playing computer games.

The mid to late eightees should be better represented too, thanks to the NES and eventually the SNES, and the early 90's breathed life into PC gaming. I'm sure someone is looking up when Tradewars 2002 and other BBS games came out and introduced neighborhood kids to early online gaming.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bell_ posted:

The mid to late eightees should be better represented too,

Eh, the problem here is that there just isn't enough juice in this time period to do really interesting stuff. Also many of the games from this period have, quite honestly, aged terribly. Specifically thinking of dogshit Sierra adventure games and stuff like SWAT or Need for Speed (the original original) or the janky strategy games or the zillions of forgettable NES side-scrollers. I remember the period fondly but I'm never going to go back to play Epyx Summer Games or King's Quest 2.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Here I go again. This time it’s 2002, which I’m slotting in as my number one pick in terms of voting (sorry Harrow, please take note of that! 2000 is now my second pick). Deus Ex’s year will always be important to me, but 2002 was just making GBS threads out amazing titles. Lots of good stuff in this year (bigger than my first choice), so let’s get into it. Again, this is all mostly based off my own perceptions and games that I played or know enough to talk about. I’ll probably miss ones you liked.

The year actually starts off fairly weak, with the only notable (to me) release being on January 22nd, with Medal of Honor: Allied Assault releasing onto PC. Medal of Honor as a whole has sort of fallen by the wayside at this point, but for a good period it was the standard bearer - and pioneer - of cinematic WW2 shooters. You can make a strong argument that it influenced the initial release of its eventual murderer, the Call of Duty franchise, which started as WW2 shooters as well (and arguably more interesting ones than Medal of Honor’s were). Vince Zampella and Jason West, the guys who initially founded Infinity Ward, worked on this game. Allied Assault wasn’t the first one, but it was the first major success for the franchise, with a bigger, more bombastic plot (for a WW2 shooter…), and far more critically, multiplayer deathmatch with WW2 guns and shoot bangs. This was also the first time a 3D shooter tackled the Omaha beach assault with as much cinematic flair as many would go on to emulate, aping the intro to Saving Private Ryan - this game wore that movie’s influence very loudly.

Allied Assault was the prototype for many, many upcoming shooters, and it was a pretty good one to boot.

On February 11th, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle came out in North America, itself a touched up and upgraded version of Sonic Adventure 2 that had released a year prior. Battle had only released a few months earlier in December in Japan, and this was the one that ported the game off of the Dreamcast and onto the comparatively less dead GameCube. Battle wasn’t that different from its initial release, but it added some new stuff, such as connectivity with some other Sonic games on the GBA for your little chao guys. The biggest deal was that SA2 was now getting a second lease on life on the GC, and would go on to influence a great number of budding Sonic fans. I wouldn’t call myself a Sonic fan, but this was my first, and I enjoyed it for a while. It also warrants special mention for being the game that got my little brother into gaming as well, so it’s a soft spot.

Like I said, early 2002 was sort of rough, but it’s starting to pick up some steam. March 26th came and saw the release of Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. Bit of a mouthful, but this was a legendary title for me for a lot of reasons, and one that’s fondly looked back upon in general. It’s a sequel to a bunch of other Jedi Knight games, where you mostly played as the biggest badass in Star Wars (no, it’s not loving Dash Rendar, sorry Sally), Kyle Katarn. Mara Jade also shows up in one of them, and those games in themselves are pretty notable for being highly competent Star Wars shooters, and prototyping the lightsaber shenanigans that Outcast would sprint with. Previous Jedi Knight games were primarily about the shooting - this game was about that classic Star Wars fantasy of cutting up people with a glow stick. You got all sorts of force powers, too, but that wasn’t strictly new either. This game was about the lightsaber. It had a good Star Wars story, too, continuing the plot threads left hanging by the previous entries, mostly a personal journey for Kyle. But anyway, lightsabers.

There’s been games long since this one that have made dueling with swords and other deadly implements a center piece, but if you ask me, Outcast was the one that really first nailed the feeling of being in a deadly sword fight with someone - and for me, it was usually another player. The sword fights in the single player were cool power fantasies, but nothing could quite beat feeling of fighting your fellow players. People had dueling etiquette, rules, little tournaments and competitions. Roleplaying communities, even, that emphasized actual Jedi learning and sword techniques. If you ask any Star Wars nerd what the lightsaber games are, they will tell you it’s this one and its sequel, Jedi Academy, which played into the Jedi fantasy even further. A very important duo of games for me, and Outcast was the first.

April nearly sneaks past entirely, but the 30th brought us the Resident Evil remake in North America, releasing as a GameCube exclusive. A pretty faithful remake of the original Resi, this one had the benefit of being on a fresh console (though it didn’t sell extremely well at first) and looked utterly gorgeous to boot. Pre-rendered backgrounds were back, but they just looked so loving good - character models and monsters, too. Everything looked great in this, and the game played a lot more smoothly than the first. Some puzzles were revamped, there were new voice actors and cutscenes, new things added to the game’s plot entirely, some new weapons. Lots of new things, and people (and myself) loved it. It was a more genuinely unnerving and scary experience, mostly thanks to the updated graphics and cutscene direction. Because of this one’s sort of poor sales, though, Capcom resolved to change course to a more action-oriented future, one day giving us the treasure of Resident Evil 4 in all of its schlocky glory.

May 1st - forgive me if I start vibrating uncontrollably, but The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind came out this day. It’s a game I’ve written a bit about before, again in Harrow’s other great games thread, but it bears repeating just how loving important this game was. Even if you haven’t played it (and you should, it’s the best TES game), this is the blueprint that Bethesda took to making practically all the rest of their ludicrously successful games. A bespoke, hand-crafted world you could explore, with very little hand-holding beyond the main plot, and even that was content to shrug sometimes and encourage you go go explore and make a name for yourself. I could write a gently caress ton about why Morrowind is the best TES game, why its themes and systems and setting blows everything else out of the water, but I’ll settle for emphasizing its influence. This put Bethesda on the map, gave them a much-needed boost in popularity and fame. So many people got into big, sprawling RPGs because they played this in their adolescence.

On May 24th and 31st, Super Smash Bros. Melee released in Europe and Australia. Good for them! This is thoroughly a 2001 game in spirit, though, but it’s a legendary game and two new continents getting access to it is a fairly big deal.

Dialing back two days, to the 29th, Medal of Honor: Frontline came out - mostly a retread of Allied Assault, in fairness, but it was the very first WW2 shooter I played, on my GameCube. It was also the first Medal of Honor on the new console generation, and people agree that it was a pretty good one - haunting music, good shooting, that same Omaha Beach assault, already getting recycled not a few months later.

On June 6th, Morrowind released on Xbox, bringing the big RPG to a console - with no end of jank and crashing to it, by all accounts I’ve heard. But this was a fairly big deal in itself, exposing the console audience to a massive game world full of racists and weird mushrooms.

Neverwinter Nights, another game I have a lot to say about, came out on June 16th. It remains a pretty niche title even to this day, but for me and a lot of my friends (and many fans of fantasy RPGs, tabletop, Dungeons and Dragons…), this was a landmark. gently caress that campaign poo poo, that wasn’t important - what was important was the DM tools. The build potential. The roleplaying, the worlds you could create - this was one of the first times your friend could run a DND campaign for you online, using all the tools BioWare bundled into the release. I also have to emphasize the roleplaying, not simply because that’s important to me, but because this was a massive step forward for it. Persistent worlds, bespoke, hand-crafted settings with NPCs, dialogue, monsters to fight, quests to complete - that’s massive. It remains popular to this day for good reason, because nothing quite like it really exists - there’s NWN 2, of course, but that’s not as popular for a variety of reasons. The game’s Aurora engine would go on to be used by BioWare again to make Knights of the Old Republic, and CDPR’s Witcher 1.

Moving on up - July 3rd, Warcraft 3’s release on PC. I was very much a StarCraft guy myself, but I eventually got around to playing Blizzard’s other, more popular RTS. I didn’t like it as much as StarCraft, and I never actually finished it, but I’d be stupid to say that invalidates its importance. People loved this loving game, loved its customization in multiplayer, the plot of the campaign. Lots of people got into World of Warcraft specifically to keep following the plot threads that started here. It was a fully competent RTS, too, with things like hero leveling and a more in-depth magic system than StarCraft had, though you could easily see how SC influenced it. This is also the game that spawned the MOBA genre, first manifesting as custom rules multiplayer maps - DOTA itself, even.

Some pretty good games came out in August, but only one I played enough of to really comment on - Super Mario Sunshine, on August 26th, released in North America. This is pretty universally regarded as the dark horse of the 3D Mario games, and a bit of a stumble after the stupidly popular Mario 64 - but, it was the only one that released on GameCube, and people ate it up. People were divisive about the whole water theming of it, mostly in relation to the FLUDD that Mario uses as another means of traversal. Personally I really enjoyed that, and enjoyed the game a fair amount in general. It was essentially exactly what I wanted from a sequel - more of the same, with some new twists to keep things nice and fresh. However you slice it, anyway, it continued 3D Mario’s success and would pave the way towards other blockbusters.

August 29th saw the release of… all right, permit me this indulgence. Mafia was out. I love Mafia - it was a different, smarter take on the whole Grand Theft Auto thing, now pitched as a traditional mob story in the same vein as Goodfellas and the Godfather. Mafia loving loves this goomba poo poo, it marinates in it. It loves its awfully voice acted wise guys and gangster tropes. It was a good game, to boot, occasionally brutally difficult - they had to release a patch to unfuck the racing mission, and the shooting can be extremely punishing, rewarding caution and good placement. In terms of influence, it wasn’t nearly as big as GTA3, and never would be, but I loved it for its story - I basically know all the big mob tropes because of this game, not because of the movies that influenced it. Mafia 2 and 3 would later come out in its footsteps, with 2 being well-regarded and 3 being a bit of a weird one. A remake of the original Mafia came out recently, and I’d say probably play that - but my heart is always with the original, a Czech-made masterpiece.

We’re not quite done with WW2 shooters, because Battlefield 1942 was out on September 10th. The first one. Massive multiplayer maps, objective based, vehicles, guns, flying around and doing stupid poo poo - that all started with BF42. It was a massive success, and pretty damned innovative - 2002 was more or less the seminal year for WW2 shooters, and Battlefield was the logical conclusion of that, the purest sentiment of shooting Nazis with your friends. Obviously BF42 spawned a huge franchise in its wake, still going to this day with mixed successes, but undeniable popularity. It’s about as endemic in the shooting market as Call of Duty is.

September 15th - Animal Crossing was out in North America. I’m actually not a huge fan of Animal Crossing, and haven’t been since the first game - my little brother loves it, and so does my sister, but it was never really my thing. This first game was a reasonably successful one, and proved that the game and its concepts had staying power outside of Japan. Obviously this would one day lead to New Horizons, which is the best-selling game of all time in Japan, and the 2nd best on the Switch in general. Not too shabby.

Two days later, on the 17th, Kingdom Hearts came out in North America. I, uh, hated this game. I still don’t care for the series, and only ever tried KH1 as a Blockbuster rental that I did not extend. I knew Cloud and Sephiroth were in it, and that was about all I needed to give it a shot, one that missed - I couldn’t keep up with Sora and everything else, much less the Disney characters. However, KH obviously did pretty well despite my dislike for it. Doesn’t have a lot of sequels and fan appeal to millions for nothing. Suffusing Final Fantasy with Disney still seems like an odd choice to me, but it clearly did well for a lot of others, and it at the very least remains a very unique, successful franchise.

October 1st had a couple of games come out, but I only care about Hitman 2: Silent Assassin. I did actually play this one, and I consider it probably the weakest of the games I did play, but it’s undeniable that it improved a lot on what Codename 47 began. Stealth was more of a thing, and we’re beginning to see the series’ commitment to its now-traditional playing styles. Social stealth is critically important, the plot is more coherent, finding creative methods of taking out your targets, who can wander the map and present opportunities for you. It was a slicker experience, but still a janky one. Well-beloved for its music, voice acting and plot, though. And it soon led to Contracts, my favorite of the series for its dark and gloomy atmosphere.

TimeSplitters 2. My beloved. It came out on October 9th, and was the evolution of a lot of the gameplay systems started in GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark. In the same way PD was a spiritual successor to GoldenEye, this and TS1 were successors to those games. Strictly speaking, TS2 is a pretty traditional sequel to 1, doing a lot of the same things, just bigger and better. Same brand of humor, same weird obsession with deadly monkeys and guys in weird rubber suits. Both games had a robust arcade mode, and even a map creator - the multiplayer elements of TS2 were easily the best thing about it, with various challenge mods, maps, characters and settings. A really, really fun time, and a special one to me.

A few months after Mafia came out, Rockstar glibly reminds everyone why they’re the top dogs in town when it comes to open world crime - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on October 27th. If Mafia was trying to do the Godfather, Vice City was doing Scarface, set in the coked up 1980s in a stand-in for Miami. It was… not too different, I remember, from GTA3, on the same engine and utilizing a lot of the same gameplay systems. The protagonist, Tommy, actually talked this time. There were new radio stations (and gave a lot of teenagers a love for 80s music) and gimmicks. You could buy properties in this, which would continue as a trend in future GTA games. Most importantly, it was just more GTA, and build competently off the success of 3, becoming 2002’s best seller game, continuing the trend started by 3, and would be continued by future titles.

Another Resident Evil came out this year, Resident Evil 0 on November 12th. Somehow even more of a dark horse in the series than even Code Veronica was, Zero actually got its start on the N64, but technical problems and delays meant it never released on the old console, instead coming out nearly a year after the much better Resident Evil remake. They use the same engine and look pretty comparable, but Zero has a lot of differences. Two characters at the same time, a shared inventory - no item boxes, a departure. Pretty lousy, melodramatic story-telling as well, not that Resident Evil has much in the way of competent narrative. Together with the REmake’s lack of financial success, again - we see that Capcom is moving towards the change of pace that would deliver Resi 4.

Honestly though, gently caress Resi Zero, loving Metroid goddamn Prime came out several days later on the 18th. Fusion was technically out a day earlier, and while Fusion was pretty good, it’s not the star of this show. Metroid Prime is a loving masterpiece, an incredible and tightly made product that definitively proved that old Nintendo titles were able to shine in the 3D space once and for all. It’s, to me, indisputably the best of the Prime series, with the best story, controls, and lack of gimmicks - it’s a true, blue Metroid title. Find power ups and upgrades, go back to old places and find more. The FPS controls were tight and smooth, and it felt great to play on the GC controller. This was a formative game of my childhood - my online title was ‘metroid13’ for a while, due to this and Fusion. Fusion was good too, though not nearly as profound to me - it was a good 2D Metroid game with an interesting plot, at least, even if it did give us the genesis of the future odious storytelling of Other M.

Prime would result in a trilogy of games and basically put Metroid on the map in terms of a fanbase. A deeply influential title.

On the 21st came Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, though only in Japanese markets - and this was the generation I actually played the least of, and didn’t care for as much. But hey, it’s a Pokemon mainline release year, I gotta mention it. The money just kept on printing.

I’d say I saved the best for last, but my game of this year was pretty clearly Metroid Prime - but the Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker was an extremely close second, releasing on December 13th in Japan. What a tremendous game in itself, though, a lovely game in typical Zelda fashion, with all the important hallmarks of making a good Zelda game actually good. Great dungeons, great bosses, creative new twists on combat and gameplay systems. The exploration was nothing short of breathtaking, though not everyone liked the boat sailing as much as I did. I loved the amount of things you could just go out and find, and seeing the horizon of an island appear ahead never failed to stir me. It looked and sounded great, with Link having an amazing amount of expressiveness and humor in his body language. That goes for just about all the characters, really - remember when people were making GBS threads all over the cel-shading? How wrong they proved to be. It’s my favorite Zelda game.

So, the year in review. WW2 shooters are starting to become a big deal, which will lead to Call of Duty’s rise to prominence. Grand Theft Auto’s sequel outsells everything and proves that Rockstar’s a big kid on the block now, as well as opening the door for more crime sims. Morrowind releases and is a critical and commercial success, which will lead to many other important RPGs, either from Bethesda or those emulating Morrowind’s open-world style. Warcraft 3 sets the stage for World of Warcraft, and is an excellent RTS in its own right. Neverwinter Nights provides a niche, but gratifying spot in the RPG/Roleplaying landscape, though DND’s overall popularity is a ways off from exploding. Nintendo comes out with at least five bangers, which all do well and set up continued successes. Jedi Outcast reminds everyone that lightsabers are pretty dope, and arguably influences the future releases of other duel-heavy games like Mordhau and For Honor. Kingdom Hearts sets up its future franchise.

Pretty influential year, I’d say, and for me it’s my best game year - sure, DX is still my favorite, but the combined weight of all the others this year makes it a no-brainer for me. Thanks for reading.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
^ You achieved the impossible, doing a writeup on 2002 without Jet Set Radio Future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwK4VPnF-5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btqdXGjtXn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYIdIlWDUtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m11b7rbM3jI

Xbox had an awesome year in 2002 - Alongside Morrowind and JSRF, it had Steel Battalion, Gunvalkyrie, Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions, Splinter Cell, Shenmue II, RalliSport Challenge, and with the launch of Xbox Live, MechAssault and Unreal Championship.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

added 2002 to my list because god drat what a year for video games!

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
1. 2003

This was the year of my first gaming console - the Gameboy Advance SP. It was a beautiful handheld; which features included a screen light so you could see all the pixels and a solid clam structure that will not break, even when thrown against a wall. It was a great year for software as well, my personal favorites being:

:catdrugs: Touhou Project 7th: Perfect Cherry Blossom :catdrugs:
https://youtu.be/MZa0ArkgXjc
Everything really is perfect, or at least very close to it. It is so pretty that it may activate the trans part of your brain. The fabulous presentation is fully integrated into the gameplay, you can not ignore the the creative expression shown here or it hit you in the face. Youmu is best girl.

:coffeepal: Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
https://youtu.be/thHNBMdmymE
The all-time best game for the GBA. A turn-based RPG that expands on the concept of timed hits from Super Mario RPG to the point where you can do infinite damage and dodge every attack with successful execution. You will laugh, you will cry, you will cheer. The stylized spritework is a standout. I ship Luigi + Prince Peasley.

Other Releases that I own or have played include:

Sonic Adventure DX

Kirby Air Ride
https://youtu.be/dMxXvV7TgIE
A racing game that was critically underappreciated at the time.

Finding Nemo
Being a fish kinda limits what you do in this game, and there are too many sliding block puzzles (arguably, any amount is too many).
Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (not yet played)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds (not yet played)

Rayman 3 (not yet played)

Donkey Kong Country for GBA
It's not going to look and sound quite as good as it did on the Super Nintendo, however it is still a great time as you can never go wrong with including apes and monkeys. This version features reworked bosses and a time attack mode.

Dynasty Warriors 4
You hit the buttons and people fall over. What more could you need in a game?

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
The King returns to fight for his noble cause and two short guys return a ring with bad vibes.

Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
Have not played much of this myself, but the pink haired girl is cute.

Mega Man Zero 2 (not yet played)

[Tony Hawk's] Underground (not yet played)

Final Fantasy X-2
https://youtu.be/QuqMbCCUclQ
It's definitely a weird vibe to have played this before X. The story of a world and a woman finding new meaning after a societal revolution. Paine is goth gf; best girl.

Golden Sun: The Lost Age
https://youtu.be/1SJsDCMyU9c
You had to wait about 2 years for what was like disc 2 of Golden Sun, yet it was well worth it. Even bigger and more puzzling dungeons and an even larger and more detailed world to explore.

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
It has Baby Park. I do not need to elaborate further.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Today I learned that Marche's last name is Radiuju.

Jak 2
The sudden shift to a bad future city is jarring, and would have not worked without confidence in its design and its identity. The game throws many different and difficult situations at the player, so Jak really has to fight for his life here.

Pro Skater 4 (PC port)
The computers at the elementary school I went to had this installed for no apparent educational purpose.

Fire Emblem for GBA
Command an army and try to minimize bad rolls. I personally like Sacred Stones a bit more, but this is plenty of fun too. I ship Lyn + Florina.

Splinter Cell (not yet played)

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (not yet played)

Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
This takes what the first game did right and expands on it with more guns, more aliens to shoot and more large environments.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest (not yet played)

Viewtiful Joe (not yet played)

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
A very good version of a very good game. You could use E-reader cards to download new levels!

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The wind waker is For The Win! An entire interconnected ocean.

2. 2004
This was when I was most in to video gaming. I had a PS2 and a Nintendo Gamecube. My personal favorites from this year were:

:gaben: Half-Life 2 :gaben:

I won't forget this game, it had full life consequences for me. Half-Life 3 still needs to happen! The people are not free from Episode 2's inconclusive ending.

:japan: Tales of Symphonia :japan:
It's anime, and therefore it is art. Tiger Blade! Omega Tempest! Rising Falcon!

Other games from this year that I own or have played include:

Touhou Project 8th: Imperishable Night
https://youtu.be/YFNWiSVwtcg
I ship Keine + Mokou.

Shaman King: Power of Spirit (not yet played)

Shrek 2
Reject tradition, embrace the ogre.

King Arthur
There should be a King Arthur themed fighting game.

The Incredibles
More like the not very good, but still edibles.

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun
Shooting the Nazis is great, but we can't let Imperial Japan off the hook!

Mario Pinball Land
Putting the pesky plumber in a plunger to get paddled was a poor proposition.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban
The true home of the Dementors is the internet.

Yu-Gi-Oh! World Tournament 2004
It comes with a shiny Blue-Eyes White Dragon!

Rise to Honor
There are not enough words to describe how much cool stuff there is here. Go play it.

Killzone
"What the gently caress is a Shakespeare?"

Mario Party 6
There ain't no party like a Mario Party because a Mario Party has a microphone controller!

Sonic Heroes
https://youtu.be/IIgNq87PbK0
It's not I gotta go fast, it's we gotta go fast.

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie (not yet played)

Silent Hill 4

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
https://youtu.be/ehqVP4J812k
The best storytelling in the series. Kingdom Hearts is adapted and fully realized in a handheld format.

Donkey Konga (not yet played)

Mega Man Zero 3 (not yet played)

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (not yet played)

Sonic Advance 3
I still have not found all the Chao.

X-Men Legends
Wolverine is out there representing Canada.

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Side Kick! Side Kick! Side Kick!

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Four Kirbies at once?! That's Amazing!

Spider-Man 2
The one everyone knows and loves. Dynamic physics-based web-swinging action.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (not yet played)

Pokemon Leaf Green
Choosing Squirtle is the respectable option.

Maximo vs Army of Zin (not yet played)

007 Everything or Nothing (not yet played)

Jak 3
It has not only the Haven City you know and love from Jak 2, but also a desert!

Katamari Damacy
https://youtu.be/7_QydNXI_ok
Get bigger and roll up even bigger things! Collect literally everything!

Super Mario 64 DS
The Nintendo DS is great. Super Mario 64 on the go and bonus touchscreen games is even better.

Fable (not yet played)

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Meet friends! Find treasure!

Metal Gear Solid 3 (not yet played)

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
It has a gun that creates black holes.

Metroid Prime 2
It has the Annihilator Beam.

Burnout 3
It has a mode where you crash into things for high scores.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (not yet played)

3. 2007

The Nintendo Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 were picking up steam and showing spectacles in High Definition. The Nintendo DS was also still printing money. My personal favorite games were:

:allears: Super Mario Galaxy :allears:
This is the greatest game of all time.

:blaster: Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition :blastback:
Action! Horror! Drama! Explosions! Resident Evil 4 gets everything exactly right and this version has been enhanced by the addition of the Wii remote motion controller, which functions both as your gun and your knife.

Other releases that I own or have played include:

The Golden Compass (not yet played)

Spider-Man 3
It's really just more of Spider-Man 2. It's not that bad.

Ratatouille
I wish rabies wasn't a thing so i could pet all those little buddies.

Medal of Honor: Vanguard
It's not just like every other World War 2 shooting game, it has motion controlled parachutes.

Wii Play
Wii really did not get much in this one.

Shining Force EXA
Hit things with a sword. Level up to hit thing for big number. Enjoy the anime storyline.

Meet the Robinsons
I would like to meet the ones who are not shooting everything with legally-not-guns.

Sonic and the Secret Rings
The soundtrack is subpar by the series' standards.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Every Dragon Baller is here and the action is Dragon ballin'.

Mario Party DS
You don't need extra copies to play locally with friends.

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 2
This is a pretty good game. Believe it!

Battalion Wars 2

Burnout Dominator
They got rid of the crash mode.

Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2007
It has the cool dude, Elemental HERO Stratos.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
I was forced to use the loser squad for a large portion of the game, and I loved it.

Sonic Rush Adventure
The boat minigames were fine.

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (not yet played)

Assassin's Creed
The start of the series of simulated stabbings.

Pokemon Diamond
I will never not pick Chimchar; it's a monkey!

Super Paper Mario
It did not need to go this hard, but it pulled it off with aplomb.

Uncharted
Should've sent a cartographer.

Metroid Prime 3
Samus figuratively gets an abortion.

Half-Life 2: Episode 2

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
It's a Zelda, of course it's going to be good.

Portal
The physics puzzles in Half-Life 2 were so good that they made a spinoff just to have more of them.

Call of Duty 4
Hugely influential.

God of War 2
Whoops, the other gods are also dipshits, better go kill them.

Bioshock (not yet played)

Mamkute fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 23, 2022

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

1998 is probably the best year for games. There are a lot of mentions for games released that year already ITT across multiple platforms (surprisingly Commandos has been brought up multiple times) but there are other games from that year which aren't getting mentioned or enough love
-Falcon 4.0 the undisputed study sim of fighter aircraft to this day, originally released with a phone book of a game manual. While it was a realistic F-16 simulator it had a dynamic campaign engine so that nothing would play out the same. The source code was leaked a few years after release which means there are some very dedicated people out there keeping the game relevant with updates
-Motocross Madness, this game owns bones. Easily the best of the 90s Madness games from Microsoft.
-Grand Prix Legends a crash simulator when F1 cars were cigar tubes
-Carmageddon 2 another crash simulator
-Unreal and SiN. The latter is largely forgotten and Unreal is only remembered because it's the engine that powers every game and probably reality in a few years time. 1998 was the year of the Half Life juggernaut and the important effects HL's design changed shooters. But Sin was an exceptional game (after it was patched to 1.1) and stepping out of the Vortex Rikers for the first time to NyLeve's Falls is hard to explain with how good Unreal's graphics were at the time when compared to the competition.

For a PC player like myself 2007 was probably the strongest year for PC releases post-golden era (2001ish)
-Orange Box, Valve has high quality releases and this was no exception. Two great SP games and Team Fortress 2 in the one package?
-Crysis, the best tech demo with a game bolted onto it. Surprisingly fun but Crysis Warhead that came out a year later is better.
-World In Conflict, known murderer Alex Baldwin voices Lt Parker of the US Army. The Soviets have invaded the US state of Washington and there is the ongoing conflict happening in Europe too. Like the Wargame series except a lot simpler and more action focused. The player focuses on taking control points on the map and doesn't have to worry about base building.
-Supreme Commander, Chris Taylor - the lead designer of Total Annihilation(1997) stated that when he designed TA he was designing a game for himself. Supreme Commander is the spiritual follow up to Total Annihilation and I am glad it exists. When this game was released I remember lots of bitching about how slow the game was, those people were dumb to play on a map that is 50 miles across with on 2 players. When played on the "smaller" maps with players who have a vague idea of what to do SupCom is a memorable RTS experience. Jeremy Soule returns to compose the music too. TA has probably left a bigger impression on more players (even though it came out around the same time as Starcraft), but when RTS game were focusing or smaller units and tactics, seeing a giant metallic spider crawl out of the water attacking your base is something other RTS games never captured.
-Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, arguably the best game of the year from the best year in games.
-Arma: Combat Operations aka Arma: Armed Assault. This is the unloved middle child of the Arma series. Released in its native Czech Republic in late 2006 it had a world wide release in 2007 and it was a loving mess. While an Arma game having a buggy launch is nothing new this one probably had the worst launch of the entire series.It seems strange to include this on best games, to be fair after it was patched up it was great also it has the best map of the entire Arma series: Sahrani.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
2017 is th e best. very clearly. heres a list of some 2017 games.

breath of the wild
mario odyssey
hollow knight
persona 5
nier automata
prey
sonic mania
pubg
yakuza 0
warhammer 2
nioh
divinity os 2
edith finch
ff14 stormblood
horizon zero dawn
cuphead
re7
night in the woods
hellblade
injustice 2
wolfenstein tnc
destiny 2
evil within 2
splatoon 2
pyre
samus returns
xenoblade chronicles 2
shadow of mordor
death of the outsider
observer
gts
guilty gear xrd rev 2
forza 7
pokemon ultra sumo
dangnanronpa 3
tekken 7
puyo puyo tetris
slime rancher
etrian odyssey v
a hat in time
tales of beseria
tacoma
dead cells
golf story
ddlc
oxygen not included
everspace
outlast 2
detention

nothing else comes close, and the idea anything does is laughable and fueled by nostalgia onne can only assume. god tier entries in long running series, genre creating and defining titles. games you would pick 100 times out of 10 over playing some 90s mess thhat couldnt even understand how a camera should work. truly the best yea rever.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

2019 was the best year for games. As part of writing this I made a rough top 50 favorite games. Numbers 1, 2, and 3 were Outer Wilds, Disco Elysium, and Slay the Spire, three games that are best in category by a wide margin in three wildly different categories. That alone would be enough to win, but it also had top 10 game Oxygen Not Included and goon classics Hypnospace Outlaw and Baba is You.

I initially thought 2017 would take second place, but making my list I found 2021 pulling ahead. Factory Town and Library of Ruina were in the top 10, Rift Wizard was in the top 20, and Inscryption was in the top 25. And there were a number of 2021 games that got considered for top 50 even if they fell a little short, like 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, Monster Sanctuary, Unsighted, Griftlands, and The Forgotten City.

Now here's 2017 with Breath of the Wild, Hollow Knight, Night in the Woods, Opus Magnum, and Nier Automata, and Pyre.

The list:
1. 2019
2. 2021
3. 2017

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

adhuin posted:

My top years order:
1: 1993
2: 1999
3: 1989

1989:

<snip>
1993:

<snip>

King of Dragon Pass - This game made me love the Glorantha and get lot of the Runequest/Heroquest rpg books. The world is just so greatly realized and managing my tribe is never about making numbers go bigger. It is always how to make best choices for my people. That's why I have played this game so many times and only won the campaign once. Always pick on the ducks.
never pick on the ducks

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - The best civilization game and the most quotable one. The faction personalities carry this game with their differing philosophies. Chairman Yang is the best leader and I will nerf staple everyone who disagrees.

Jagged Alliance 2 - Speaking of characters. These mercenaries have them plenty. They have likes, dislikes and hates and you cannot have everyone on the same team. Liberating Arulco province by province with your crack team of mercenaries never gets old.

Silent Hill - The first actually scary Resident Evil clone. Still my favourite series for both the horror aspect and for the hard puzzles it had.

The Longest Journey - One of the smaller adventure games from time, when no one else was doing them. April Journey from near futuristic earth to a fantastic world. This one was a real treat to play.

Gabriel Knight III: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned - Well almost no one was doing adventure games. This one was also a 'last' huzzah for a dying genre. The mix of real life french mystery and fantastical elements. The free floating camera system was a real innovation and it's a shame that later adventure games didn't adopt it. This one had some epic puzzles.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Another genre father. Fast-paced arcade fun in 2 minute sequences. Real fun to try to beat friends scores.

Planescape Torment - What can change a nature of a man? This was a Real philosophical mind-trip for teen me. Baldur gates were 'ok' fun, but this one really made me think and consider my actions on another level. It was technically an ADD-game, but most of the experience was gained from quests, so no need for grinding. Also the companions were real personalities and the world mysterious.

Discworld Noir - Technically a 3rd game of a 'dying genre'. This was a first Discworld game with a completely original story. A detective story, A Noir story, that still felt like a real Discworld story. Really funny and clever.

The Typing of the Dead - This one wasn't clever at all. It was a on-rail shooter, a literally House of the Dead game, except it wasn't played with a light-gun. Instead you typed your attacks on keyboard. On easier modes you needed to type simpler words floating around like 'Smash', 'Orange' or 'Succulent'. On harder modes you needed to type sentences like 'Peas are good for you'. a Real fun typing game.

Added 1999 to my top 3 years and finalized my year order.
It's

1: 1993
2: 1999
3: 1989

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

adhuin posted:

1993:

Master Of Orion - Grandfather of the 4X-strategy games and still one of the best ones. Silicoids are best, nuff said.

:eng101:

And the silicoids really are the best. Even if the 2016 remake gave them boobs :eng99:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The guys with the brains are the best actually.

EDIT: Psilons

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Rappaport posted:

:eng101:

And the silicoids really are the best. Even if the 2016 remake gave them boobs :eng99:

GIS I trusted you. :argh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

After considerable consideration I think I have to give first place to 2001. I won't say it's utterly incontestable because there are other truly excellent years that you could very strongly argue were better, and this was not an easy choice for me to make, but the sheer ridiculous breadth of things to play that year just nudges it over the line for me. Basically, if a genre existed at the time, it almost certainly got a classic release this year, and probably many more, along with an incredible swathe of excellent games that don't quite hit "classic" status but which were by no means disappointing.

First, the console situation. The PS2 had released the previous year to immediate success (bolstered by its backwards compatibility with PSX games, that made upgrading a much more appealing prospect) and was now really finding its feet with a rapidly growing library. The X-Box dropped in 2001 and was immediately established as a serious contender thanks to some heavyweight titles. Nintendo also released the GameCube this year, and though not Nintendo's most successful console gen it hosted a number of games that would be deeply beloved and spawn some big-time IPs. Also, not a release, but it bears mentioning that this year saw the exit of SEGA from the console market with the discontinuation of the Dreamcast, a console still regarded by many as the greatest ever, but one which was badly hampered by decisions SEGA had made through the mid-90s. Press F to pay respects.

Halo: Combat Evolved was so good that the demo of Assault on the Control Room me and my best friend played at the store sold us on the need for an X-Box on the spot. Genre-changing. Sublime in every conceivebale way, iconic, console shifting, still one of the greatest ever made.

Final Fantasy X showed that Square's dominance of the JRPG field was continuing after their excellence on the SNES and outright supremacy on the PSX. Only Dragon Quest could tangle with FF, and that only in Japan. Another original world, a wide cast of voice acted characters, incredible graphics, everything made full use of the PS2's power; the combat system was revised and refined into what I still think is the best in the genre 20 years later, the sphere grid was great if you got a PAL version and thus the Advanced Sphere Grid was available; still my favorite FF.

Do you like to be scared? Like full-on, sweaty palms, can't summon the courage to go to the bathroom because the hall is dark, staying up until sunrise because sleep will bring nightmares scared fuckless? Yes? Great, because Silent Hill 2 came out. It polished up a lot of the flaws in the original and stands out as the best game in the series, and one of the best in the genre, and you'd be very hard pressed to find a list of Greatest PS2 games that didn't feature it.

On the N64, fast-paced Nintendo brawler Super Smash Brothers had been a significant commercial success, but its first sequel, Super Smash Bros. Melee, would drop on the GameCube and be an immediate, well, smash hit. Still regarded as the apex of competetive Smash by many in the competetive scene, it remains played at tournaments and for those of us who were never at that level it remains a beloved memory of long afternoons with friends. Perhaps the definitive party game of the generation.

The GameCube would also bring us the absolutely adorable, brilliant Pikmin, where you are a tiny little guy from space going around commanding the titular Pikmins (Piksmin?) to help you repair your spaceship, fight enemies, and carry stuff around to solve puzzles. Granted it may not be quite the mega-hit or all-time classic that some other releases this year were (I don't recall it winning out over SSBM in many end of year lists, for example) but I'm here to argue why this year was the best one and such a charming, colorful 9/10 deserves to be included.

Speaking of mega-hits, the Grand Theft Auto series had been top-down affairs that, while fun, only attracted significant attention because of the controversy surrounding the fact you played as unapologetic criminals and you killed a shitload of people. When Grand Theft Auto III dropped, and moved the series into an absolutely vast 3D city, it rocketed in prominence and importance. In hindsight there was still so much to develop even on the sixth console gen (It would be followed up by Vice City and then San Andreas) but it was genre-making at the time. A massive world, an epic gangster story, what was at the time felt to be biting satire, and an unbelievable amount of things to do outside the main missions, it was astounding.

Metal Gear Solid had been one of the defining and best-received games on the PSX so it's hardly surprising that MGS2 would be eagerly anticipated, and whilst there was disappointment in some quarters for a variety of reasons (The bait-and-switch of protagonists being a primary one) the technical achievements were mind-boggling (THAT MELTING ICE), the story went completely off the rails in the best way, you could do things like shoot a guard's radio so they couldn't call for backup or hold them hostage at gunpoint, and one of the bosses was a fat dude called Fatman who was on rollerskates.

Beautiful, minimalist Ico came out on the PS2 all the way back in 2001 as well, and whilst I think Shadow of the Colossus is the better game personally, there is little to be said about Ico except effusive praise. When people had the "Are games art?" debate, Ico seemed to be the definitive proof they are.

Arcade style sports games got the unimpeachable SSX Tricky. It featured ridiculously over-the-top air stunts, an incredible soundtrack, and controls tuned to absolute perfection. Alongside this was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, which wasn't quite as good as 2 but was still a fantastic game that ate countless hours and largely continued the endless joy of racking up stupidly huge points from stupidly huge air.

Meanwhile at the more realistic end of the scale, we have Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec. Already an incredibly well regarded series, the first entry on the PS2 was received with accolades and fanfare, and ended up becoming the console's second-best selling game, behind GTA San Andreas. Though I admit I personally prefer GT4 slightly, 3's quality, success, and impact are hard to overstate.

Despite the end of manufacturing, the Dreamcast still had some serious life in it - Crazy Taxi 2, Sonic Adventure 2, Shenmue II, Virtua Tennis 2, and Unreal Tournament all released this year. The console could only really be called a disappointment, this year, in comparison to the competition. On its own merits it had plenty of excellent games.

I haven't even talked about the PC market yet. Actually, in comparison to the consoles, the PC had a weaker year, especially when you compare it to something like 1998, but nonetheless there was nothing to complain about. Civilization would see entry number III arriving, and even though this entry in hindsight is not considered quite the equal of II or IV, it was still an incredibly addictive strategy game that destroyed an unbelievable number of my teenage hours. Gritty noir got a lease of life with the release of Max Payne, one of the very few games that has used bullet time to its full potential. A grim story in a dour setting, you shoot a shitload of guys in incredibly stylish manner, and honestly? No notes. The definitive WW2 fighter sim IL-2 Sturmovik debuted in this year, while ol' Peter Molyneux gave us Black & White, a game which has been re-evaluated with less enthusiasm than it got at release but honestly I still have a big soft spot for it, being a god with a giant pet tiger kaiju just has a vibe that must be appreciated.

That's why I think 2001 is the best year. But you could really look at any year three or four out in either direction and make a very serious case for it being superior; thus my judgment that this era was a golden age of gaming.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
Let me talk to you, gamer, about 2004.

What the gently caress happened in 2004 that makes it important? Well, a lot happened, actually. Most of it was sequels.

Lets start in no particular order. I've done my best to include official Box Art of each game.

Pokemon FireRed / LeafGreen
They're the same game and the only people saying they aren't are Nintendo.

Can you imagine being alive in the time where the original Pokemon games got a remastered version? Think about the sheer power that has, in particular for someone who was there and involved in the original Red/Blue phenomenon.

Except, FR/LG added a bunch of additional Pokemon to catch as well as a whole new (small) Region, packed into a single GBA Cartridge. Playing the original Games with the 3rd Gen Updates, combined with being able to grab yourself an Ursaring, which is objectively the best Pokemon due to being a bear, and, well, you got yourself a good time.

Halo 2
Sir, finishing this fight.

Did you know the best FPS of all time (if you are between the age of 25-40) came out in 2004?

Released in November 2004, Halo 2 changed the life of many a teenager at the time. Halo: Combat Evolved "redefined" the FPS genre for a lot of people, but Halo 2 took that redefining to its logical extreme. Halo 2 is the reason we have FPS as they exist today, in my opinion. This game was the first of its type to really tap into how incredible online gaming could be and came (and left) with so much hype it's hard to describe, even now.

Halo: CE is where it all began, for sure, but gaming would be a different place if it wasn't for Halo 2. Halo 3 came close, as did Halo: Reach, but Halo 2 is pinnacle Halo and pinnacle Console FPS. It did more for the genre than anyone expected and we see its influence to this day.

Also it had dual wielding.

Need for Speed: Underground 2
3-6-9 drat YOU FINE

Okay so the Box Art wasn't Lil' Jon, but it might as well have been, because this game is a masterclass in licensed music (and also Driving Cars).

Aside from Licensing Music in videogames, though, NFS:U2 was what we ended up coming to expect in an Arcade Racer. Don't get me wrong here - the Burnout series did it all better, but NFS:U2 is an important game because, without it, we wouldn't have Arcade Racing as we know it.

Honestly, there isn't much about NFS:U2 that I can say other than it's the original formula for Arcade Racers we know nowadays, and Lil Jon was there.

Half Life 2
Whatever, this game is whatever.

Did you know that the official release of Half Life 2 was 2004?

So, whilst Halo 2 was busy reinventing the wheel over for Consoles, along came Half Life 2 to reinvent the wheel for PC's.

There are more words on the internet about why Half Life 2 is a special game than most single Human Beings will speak in their lifetime, so I will keep this simple and short: 2004 brought us Half Life 2.

The Sims 2
Clean. Up. Your. Plates.

The Sims 2 is, for a lot of people, the best game in the series. Lets set aside, for the purposes of this list, that you need all of the DLC in order for this argument to fly, The Sims 2 had huge boots to fill.

The Sims was a tsunami insofar as PC Gaming at the time is concerned. Four years had passed since The Sims was released and during that time, expansions packs had allowed Sims to become famous, become magicians, own pets and... host parties. The Sims 2 introduced a lot of features that would return (or be inexplicably removed) from later installments, but it was here that Maxis and EA really hit their stride.

I have no shame about how much I love The Sims as a series - I'm playing The Sims 4 to this day (and spending far too much money doing so) and you know, as a fan of the series, such as I am - what I keep saying to myself is that "this [insert thing] was better in The Sims 2."

Truth is, The Sims 2 is almost a game that holds up to this day; the only things letting it down are loving LOAD TIMES and, well, Origin.

Pikmin 2
Plants vs. The World

Pikmin was excellent. Pikmin 2 was better.

All of the criticism of the original game was addressed, then Nintendo added a bunch of new poo poo for us to do - In fact, a lot of the DNA of Pikmin 2 is what carried over into the excellent Pikmin 3 and, true to Nintendo form, Pikmin 2 just happens to be one of those games where Nintendo introduce something new for other, better, studios to refine and do better. This is basically a fact of the universe by now.

The most important thing about Pikmin 2 though? You can just sacrifice a Horde of Albino Pikmin and poison your enemies to death. Viable strategy.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Ah poo poo.

The best Grand Theft Auto Game came out in 2004.

So, that happened.

Numerous MMORPG's
Poop in the sock.

Here's where I end my (very incomplete) list.

2004 saw 3 MMORPG's hit the market in Retail form.

Everquest 2.
Final Fantasy XI.
World of Warcraft.

One of these would exist. One of these would capture the imagination of many, many people. One would be played by your nan.

Say what you will about these games, they arrived in 2004 and they are all here to stay.

I'm going to put aside the lols for this post and focus on why these games are extremely important, and why they make 2004 the Year of the Game.

Truth is, World of Warcraft is the champ.

Before 2004, MMORPG's were a natural evolution of the MUD (multi-user-dungeon) which many Goons will be familiar with. You can argue that Everquest was released in 1999 and took that mantle, to which I say no, 2004 is the year MMORPG's made MUD's die (the death they actually deserved, honestly). We were introduced to three AAA equivalent worlds, which all were extremely broken, hosed up and beautiful in their own way. FFXI took off in Japan and WoW in the West - Everquest 2 existed in a weird inbetween state, wherein it would eventually die.

Very different, these games all were - catering to vastly different crowds within the burgeoning MMORPG gamespace at the time, and yet WoW ended up as a cultural phenomenon.

Regardless of where these games ended up or how they evolved, it cannot be denied that 2004 was a landmark for the genre the likes of which may not be seen again. That they are still played to this day is a testament either to the power of each game, no matter your opinion on it. MMORPG's were defined in 2004 and nothing comes close to what released that year, insofar as this one genre is concerned.

Honestly, it hurts to type that because FFXIV isn't in the consideration here, but it isn't a genre defining game - it's a genre refining game.

2004 Honourable Mentions

Of which there are many. Once again, in no particular order and with a comment for each:

Viewtiful Joe - Proving that Comics make good videogames
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - The best Mario RPG
Fable - Our true introduction to Peter Molyneux
R-Type Final - R Type Releases are important on any list ok
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - I had the chance to play this with friends and it was incredible. Awful single player though
Drakengard - Welcome to the Taroverse - terrible game though
Beyond Divinity - Larian Studios can do no wrong
Red Dead Revolver - The beginning of a legend
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - Every morning I open palm slam this example of a Movie Tie In done right into my VHS
Tales of Symphonia - Tales!
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - The best MPrime game ok
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - This gem began in 2004, too!
Star Wars: Battlefront - Fun before the MTX
Tony Hawks Underground 2 - Comparatively rubbish vs. the Pro Skater games but overall very good
Killzone - Came out in 2004
Jak and Daxter 3 - Pinnacle of the series
Super Mario 64 DS - Showing what the DS could do
Alien Hominid - Flash game gone legit, it owned
Gran Turismo 4 - Cars

In conclusion, 2004 was the year of the game.

iTrust fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 21, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My post is coming along nicely. I hope people like charts

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

I adore charts. :cheers:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rarity posted:

Your charts are my freakin sunshine, ya hear?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'll be really mad if the chart post contains any 3d pie charts.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Would be interesting to know what age people where in their #1 year and see if there’s a trend.

Like how often your favorite songs are from when you were 15-16.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

None of my favorite songs are from that age, and very few of my favorite games, but that was around the age where I felt I was experiencing significant and memorable changes within the game industry. Every other week it felt like something monumental was happening, so you might be on to something.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Red Rox posted:

Would be interesting to know what age people where in their #1 year and see if there’s a trend.

I was 12 in 2001. 15/16 (2004/2005) I was getting into online gaming, but only 3 of my top 50 games of all time (and only 1 in my top 20) are from those years, compared to 4 in 2001 alone (and all in my top 20).

My #1 song of all time is from 1999, but I didn't become a fan of it until 2009 (age 20). Otherwise, a lot of my favorite songs I heard in the late '90s/early 2000s (particularly original & licensed video game music and my uncle's classic rock records).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Red Rox posted:

I'm sure it is but my favorite year is from when I was 22. Second favorite year is from when I was 6 (but the games in this year had a long tail and huge impact and had a big effect on me in the following years).

Honestly the 80s are pretty underrepresented in here, but I assume this is account on most people simply not being alive or being toddlers during that decade. What can you do?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

My first gaming experiences were in the 80s and they were amazing, but my best gaming experiences began when I was old enough to start buying my own games at release, so around 1995, age 12.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I only have a #1 (1985) and I was 9 years old. That was a time period where you mostly went to the arcade to play (or watch others play) video games but the industry was still new and many games were breaking new ground. I don't know how to describe the experience of having so many new types of games as well as the rapidly improving controls and graphics. Compare Space Invaders to Space Harrier and see what I mean.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
mine is from 5 years ago. my second choice would be 2019 from 3 years ago. im unblinded by nostaglia

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I was 11 years old in my number one year, but I probably got those games several years after the fact. 28 in second place year. 21 in third place year.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

My all time greatest gaming experience is going to the Chuck E Cheese and seeing Dragon's Lair in 1983, but that wasn't a great year for gaming. Atari wasn't cutting the mustard anymore and the NES wasn't out.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's all fun, though I find nostalgia gets a bad rap lately. Plus, on youth vs recency bias, I don't think picking stuff from the past 5 years is inherently more legit. If anything you'd wanna be able to fully appreciate decades of stuff for its time, if you're selecting the finest years ever. If the latest greatest is always ranked highest, kinda takes the art out of ranking a longer time period.

(I did do that though, but tried to spread out the three picks.)

But games do age a bit differently than other mediums, and it is an interesting phenomenon. I tried to include a mix of eras, but it all ended up being from this century. I do love 90s and NES games though naturally.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 24, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the whole "your favorite was when you were 16" talk annoys me, people are perfectly capable of critically looking at stuff lol

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I was miserable at 16 so if that year was my favorite it’s pretty drat good gaming year

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Heavy Metal posted:

It's all fun, though I find nostalgia gets a bad rap lately. Plus, on youth vs recency bias, I don't think picking stuff from the past 5 years is inherently more legit. If anything you'd wanna be able to fully appreciate decades of stuff for its time, if you're selecting the finest years ever. If the latest greatest is always ranked highest, kinda takes the art out of ranking a longer time period.

(I did do that though, but tried to spread out the three picks.)

But games do age a bit differently than other mediums, and it is an interesting phenomenon. I tried to include a mix of eras, but it all ended up being from this century. I do love 90s and NES games though naturally.

gaming is too new for that, everything is recent

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the whole "your favorite was when you were 16" talk annoys me, people are perfectly capable of critically looking at stuff lol

generally theyre not

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Stux posted:

gaming is too new for that, everything is recent

I mean recent as in recent years of your life compared to earlier years. Though gaming isn't much younger than rock 'n' roll in the grand scheme of things. It's older than punk rock anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

generally theyre not

then why bother discussing anything then lol. usually i see this when people are discussing stuff they like/don't like and someone just barges in like 'actually your favorite was when you were 16 years old' or some poo poo.