Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
it is pretty cringe, THE AMOUNT OF CRINGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

this heat belt sounds bad. I’m going to move to California to avoid it! climate proof future, here I come!

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Shifty Nipples posted:

it's funny that arf got you all using the word cringe in your posts in this thread, he won.

Buddy, we elected him mayor of the thread.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

biceps crimes posted:

this heat belt sounds bad. I’m going to move to California to avoid it! climate proof future, here I come!

The good news is that CA will already be uninhabitable by the time the heat belt becomes an issue.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i need to secure my future and pick a place to starve to death in a future without food

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

you could pick a place to starve to death but the real money's in getting trampled to death during a food riot

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

i want to die in a human crush trying to loot the last CostCo

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

The Voice of Labor posted:

funny thing is that oregon got its poo poo together over the past year, put a ton of money into forestry management and fire prevention and organized the state resources better. the average forest fire season acres burnt has been 50k + acres per year. this year it's been less than 1k. so yeah, actually collecting taxes and putting the money towards prevention and active firefighting seems to work pretty well

This is the sort of poo poo the report seems to actually be about, the article was more the researchers saying places need to get their poo poo together and deal with it. That clickbait headline was only mentioned in the intro.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
still waiting for underground houses to take off in arigoddamnedzona

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
It's Kringe.

Cringe is industry speak.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Cringe became endemic in the thread

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

the United Nations will be leading the PR charge

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1496421305524097030

oh no
not economies

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

maybe stopping climate change would be good for the economy

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
no.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Ow! My economy

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

thank you, arfjason. when you know the truth, you must set it free

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

smoobles posted:

incorrect

economists predict that 85%+ of the economy will be unaffected by climate change, and that any losses to the remainder as well as damage will be vastly outpaced by the inevitable annual GDP growth

making any effort to address climate change instead of economic growth will only hurt in the short and long runs

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

quote:

arf

dude %100 writes his posts in notepad so he can rapid fire copy/paste when the times right

also random news item https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/20/china-clean-energy-ira-climate-00052684

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Virtue signaling that requires mild exercise? Not gonna happen chief

lol

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

I can say this with certainty: the most obnoxious poo poo ever to posters like arf is:

1. being boring
2. exposing how much effort they put into trolling

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1561040349535113217?t=Jp7cckWY3ZzRKMgJ_Lk7Xg&s=19

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
keep up the good work aj

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

does trolling work? it just did!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

smoobles posted:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
was talking about carbon dioxide earlier but there's also methane warming
1Gt of ch4 is the equivalent of 84 Gt of co2 over 20yr or 28 Gt over 100yr
multiplier for ppm to mass for ch4 is ~2.8503
1984: 1.6445 ppm = 4.69 Gt
2016: 1.8428 ppm = 5.25 Gt
2022: 1.9099 ppm = 5.44 Gt

lol casual> 0.5% increase over each of the last 6 years

lmao that's way faster than '84 to '16

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
anyone else notice this?

we should be seeing an uptick by now, but we haven't

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/jackmtchia/status/1561174129843515393

quote:

As many as 66 rivers across 34 counties in Chongqing have dried up, state broadcaster CCTV said on Friday (Aug 19).

Weeks of baking drought across Europe have also revealed long-submerged treasures.
In Spain, archaeologists have been delighted by the emergence of a prehistoric stone circle dubbed the "Spanish Stonehenge".

Another of Europe's mighty rivers, the Danube, has fallen to one of its lowest levels in almost a century, exposing the hulks of more than 20 German warships sunk during World War II near Serbia's river port town of Prahovo.
https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1561091450774769664

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

anyone else notice this?

Don’t worry a category 6 will make its debut this year

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

anyone else notice this?

the sea is gathering its power and is going to ascend to a new level of super saiyan and destroy one of the coastal cities between Houston and New York

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

biceps crimes posted:

the sea is gathering its power and is going to ascend to a new level of super saiyan and destroy one of the coastal cities between Houston and New York

gently caress you poseidon just try it

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

anyone else notice this?

peaks everywhere I go :pusheen:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

anyone else notice this?

this year is Heat Year

Hurricane Year will be back soon, alongside this or another Heat Year

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The real answer to hurricanes changing at all is the ocean undergoing tipping points.

It no longer works the way we would expect based on our observed history. We can't exactly define why, completely accurately and exactly, right now which means we also don't know what the new normal is. 12 months of hurricanes? Ultra Hurricanes?

Seems like global precipitation going from either extreme drought to extreme flood while temperature records are completely defied everywhere suggests really erratic and relatively abrupt new changes so there may not even be a new normal for awhile. We could have 0.5x hurricanes this year and 5x next year.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The real answer to hurricanes changing at all is the ocean undergoing tipping points.

It no longer works the way we would expect based on our observed history. We can't exactly define why, completely accurately and exactly, right now which means we also don't know what the new normal is. 12 months of hurricanes? Ultra Hurricanes?

Seems like global precipitation going from either extreme drought to extreme flood while temperature records are completely defied everywhere suggests really erratic and relatively abrupt new changes so there may not even be a new normal for awhile. We could have 0.5x hurricanes this year and 5x next year.

hell yeah we killed hurricanes forever

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

smoobles posted:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

kyojin posted:

Yeowch! My economy!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tempora Mutantur posted:

arf is just a natural cringe disaster; we need to be prepared for more frequent and severe natural cringe events, hopefully our models hold

there’s always more and it’s always worse

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Koirhor posted:

there’s always more and it’s always worse

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Lame. It's much more exciting watching super destructive hurricanes on tv than boring heatwaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
do not doubt the hypercane for it will come for us all and the unbelievers shall cringe