Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Molybdenum posted:

I managed to buy my first tier 10 ever. An amx 13 105. About 9 years late, I had been aiming for the bat chat of yore.

Anyway, what equipment should I get?

Two sets, one for scouting maps and the other one for stuff like Himmels, Ensk and so on.
Scout is CVS, vents or bounty exhaust depending on preference, and bond optics.
For city maps just medium stuff. Stabs, vents, improved accuracy scope thing.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Before the birthday week events/specials/etc I was working on three separate lines at the same time and actively avoiding playing premium tanks to see how fast I could burn through the tech tree. Since the birthday week I have been playing nothing but premiums to focus on credit gen for the upcoming consumables sale.

I mean, I knew it was a big difference because why else would they sell a ton of premium tanks all the time, but drat it's legitimately stupid how massive of a difference there is in credit generation. I'm talking 15-30k profit per game in tech tree tanks vs 100k+ profit per game in premiums. Feelsbadman.

At least frontline is back soon.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

sushibandit posted:

Before the birthday week events/specials/etc I was working on three separate lines at the same time and actively avoiding playing premium tanks to see how fast I could burn through the tech tree. Since the birthday week I have been playing nothing but premiums to focus on credit gen for the upcoming consumables sale.

I mean, I knew it was a big difference because why else would they sell a ton of premium tanks all the time, but drat it's legitimately stupid how massive of a difference there is in credit generation. I'm talking 15-30k profit per game in tech tree tanks vs 100k+ profit per game in premiums. Feelsbadman.

At least frontline is back soon.

It's even worse if you don't have a premium account. I stopped grinding lines after tier 8 for years because I didn't enjoy having to play 2 games with premium tanks just to equalize the credit loss from one game at tier 9. I think it's better now with the missions and what not, but still painful for me to play anything other than premiums. Thankfully WG gives out premium days pretty freely now as long as you play.

Don't worry though, there's an auction coming to drain all those pesky credits, gold and free exp we have just lying around gathering dust.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 17, 2022

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I believe it. from seeing the numeric difference on post-battle screens playing without premium time active just looks like pure suffering.

During the first few years of the game, t5 felt like the sweet spot where credit gen was decent, your gun bloom wasn't half the drat screen, and different classes of vehicles actually started feeling and playing like they were different classes of vehicles instead of just having more or less health.

Nowadays that sweet spot feels more like t7/t8, which is where the "national gimmick" for a given line typically starts showing up to differentiate vehicles further.

Unfortunately I stopped playing for several years until picking things back up again more recently, and thus don't have mountains of gold, freexp or bonds to blow on tanks and equipment, and badly want them for my favorite tanks, so I'm stuck with needing to get and play tier 10 vehicles.

Finally hit tier 9 in both light and medium french lines, which just reinforces how much I loathe the stock grind. They really need to invert that, to where you are instead unlocking/"researching" modules for the next vehicle in the line, so when you buy it, it's already at top performance. Stock is all kinds of bullshit, especially when you're also saddled with a crew that isn't 100% on the new vehicle yet.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The credit grind is the real grind in this game, always has been, always will be.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tier 6 and 9 are the sweet spots right now. Tier 9 has +1/-2 matchmaking and tier 6 rarely sees tier 8 because they all get sucked into tier 10 games.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I finished grinding the field mods on my t9 reward tanks. The only ones I've been able to actually win with are the Char and the K-91-PT. The rest I have been cursed with 40%-ish win rates. Looking at my stats for other t9 tanks, it's pretty clear I should avoid tier 9 unless the tank has a reliable gun.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
TS-5 is a loving monster, I love this TD so much.

Edit: Also, the Italian heavy TD branch coming out looks like my jam.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 17, 2022

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

How does the K-91-PT feel to play? I think I can grab both it and the Cobra if I cap out this battlepass, and none of the other vehicles I don't already have (Lorraine, 777) look remotely worthwhile.

Mesadoram posted:

Also, the Italian heavy TD branch coming out looks like my jam.
Still don't understand why they thought making the intraclip reload as long as a typical cyclical gun was a good idea. It seems like the worst of both worlds: lengthy per-shell reload AND clip loading timer. Would have been more interesting to use the multi-clip volley-fire system of that new T9 light tank, or just sticking with the existing italian gimmick of autoreloading imo.

I mean, I get that because the vehicles seem to be absurdly cancerous hulldown monstrosities, the gun has to feel/be bad, but still.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
http://wotreplays.eu/site/6325113#prokhorovka-mariuslecter-a46

e;
Looks like i got all my tier 6 tanks maxed on their field modifications, the A46 was the last one.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 17, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Saved the worst for last, I see.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

sushibandit posted:

How does the K-91-PT feel to play? I think I can grab both it and the Cobra if I cap out this battlepass, and none of the other vehicles I don't already have (Lorraine, 777) look remotely worthwhile.

I really liked the K-91-PT. It doesn't have the biggest gun in the world and isn't laser accurate but something about it works. It's really flexible in what role it plays as it can snipe, play support or brawl as needed. I kind of treated it like a t9 e-25. It's quick, traverses really fast, has good camo, and has some armor.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 18, 2022

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
It's a WZ-120 with a permanently stuck turret, and the frontal armor flattened so it barely stands up to tier 7 mediums.
Don't listen to goons :smith:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

It's a WZ-120 with a permanently stuck turret, and the frontal armor flattened so it barely stands up to tier 7 mediums.
Don't listen to goons :smith:

Odd, I can hull down tank t9/10 heavies in mine. Feels like zippier obj 263 that is smaller with also a smaller gun.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Thanks for recommending the patriot. This thing owns, even if the gun is low alpha. Great handling, pretty fast compared to the t32, and troll armor when same tier.

Oh yeah and it prints creds

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sushibandit posted:

How does the K-91-PT feel to play?

It's a blast, IMO. The tank is fast as hell, has decent armour (not the lower plate), the gun hits hard and is reasonably accurate. I wouldn't play it as a bush wanker in the backline (although it's not unplayable that way either), but if you enjoy the Object 268v4 lifestyle, the K-91-PT fits that really well. One of my favourite premiums.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Barely played for quite a while, and starting to get back in. Is there a good guide somewhere on field modifications, and recommendations for specific tanks?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pioneer42 posted:

Barely played for quite a while, and starting to get back in. Is there a good guide somewhere on field modifications, and recommendations for specific tanks?

Whatever you think works best for your tank it's not much of a big deal one way or the other for alternate loadouts and other bonuses.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pioneer42 posted:

Skill4ltu has equipment and field mod recommendations for tier 5 and up on his website.

They're fairly decent recommendations for the most part.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i was struggling to pen T95s in my 50 100 on glacier.

so after spending 4 minutes driving around trying to get a good shot i just drove off the edge onto them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okq-YZsefsw&t=112s

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

i was struggling to pen T95s in my 50 100 on glacier.

so after spending 4 minutes driving around trying to get a good shot i just drove off the edge onto them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okq-YZsefsw&t=112s

This is why I hate every time the E3 or Badger go on track. Too many of them and a lot of them are smart enough to keep support around them or only play in alleys. Unfortunately they seem to make up about 50% of the on-track events.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

loving awful 3/9 session today; 5x weekends are just loving miserable.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

loving awful 3/9 session today; 5x weekends are just loving miserable.

You and me both :smith:.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

im 63% over 44 today. slow day at work so im just playing tanks in the downtime

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
got the three BIA crew from the Anniversary token store, gonna put them as Commander, Gunner and Loader in the new TD line i think.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
http://wotreplays.eu/site/6327335#siegfried_line-mariuslecter-tiger_131

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Oh...

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Abilities being available practically from the start of the match completely changes frontline. Not much point playing a sneaky bursty tank like the borat when there are constantly air patrols and artillery firing. Particularly everything becoming usable instantly on respawn.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Honestly, this is the most fun I've had with tanks in awhile. I love the frontline mode (expect the year with the t9's).

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

:smith: Been there man. You're doing everything right, even to the point of single-handedly holding a flank from being overwhelmed in some cases, but the "team" is too busy sampling glass flavours and sniffing around used toilets to be of any use whatsoever so before you know it you're fending off everything solo.

It's frustrating as gently caress and I need a new mouse; I can only glue this one back together so many times.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/I78gY88.mp4

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

:smith: Been there man. You're doing everything right, even to the point of single-handedly holding a flank from being overwhelmed in some cases, but the "team" is too busy sampling glass flavours and sniffing around used toilets to be of any use whatsoever so before you know it you're fending off everything solo.

It's frustrating as gently caress and I need a new mouse; I can only glue this one back together so many times.

Yup, had a kick as week and the past 2 days were just miserable lol.

At least Frontline is a blast.

Blood for the Blood God.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

im going to get babby's first tier 10 and it's the t110e3. what a delight the whole line has been to play

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I would 100% play tanks twice as much if Frontline was a permanent mode.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Frontlines is great, also the credits you make is fantastic:

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

It really should just be an ongoing thing every 3rd weekend of the month (fri+sat+sun) or something like that. Making ~400k every round afte repairs+consumables, and it's a nice break from the normal pace of 15-1 games that are over in 3 minutes.

Had much better luck in brawlers compared to snipers this time around, since everyone is always spamming abilities.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Pioneer42 posted:

I would 100% play tanks twice as much if Frontline was a permanent mode.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Couple good rounds tonight. First time I've cracked 12k personal damage I think. NA got hella laggy partway through the first game, was a pain.

Borat definitely feels harder to use this time around since you can't rely on being hidden most of the time now.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah Bourrasque seems rough, the low pen is hopeless against the tide of turbo super double boom heavies that have been flogged on the premium shop this year.
I've had good success with the Even90 capping and driving around like a madman, I suppose same for the ELC 75. Other lights drink pee from the toilet, way too easy to hit from range.
The only med I have that works is a fully bond equipped 122TM with rations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I feel like progetto46 might be better than bourasque, at least in a 1v1. Farming damage wise magdumping is better but if you push a progetto he can drip feed like 2 shots then fully unload.