Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm so glad you :69snypa: this. So good.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

disco by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I really like this one drat

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

2-bikes by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

crosswalk by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

scooter-kid by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes I ever wonder if I'd have the guts to go out on a friday or saturday night and ask to take picture of people going out to the closest thing christchurch nz has to clubs

do you ask permission? or just stand there looking obviously like a photographer and just read the body language, if they see you and pose, you shoot, if they look away, you don't?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

It depends - if you want to take street style type photos then yes, you stop and ask people.

If you want to do winogrand type street photography photos then no, you just take the photo. There's a good video on him doing his thing if you want to see how it's done.

It sounds like you want to do the former, so just say to people hey I like your look do you mind if I take your photo. Some will say no and you move on, some will say yes.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Just have a drink or two beforehand and you won't mind as much.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Some advice for with-permission street portraits that’s worked for me.

1. Have a tight, practiced intro that describes who you are and what you want to do. Something like “Hi I’m Bob and I’m a local photographer documenting the area. I’m taking street portraits today and I was wondering if I could take your photo”.

2. When you arrive at your location have a goal to ask 5 people in 5 minutes. Expect and set aside rejection. People will say no. Be polite and move on immediately to asking the next person. More people will say yes that you expect. Pick people who are walking slowly and alone. Don’t pick people from groups or who are obviously in a hurry as they’re more likely to say no and you’ll feel rushed. I personally don’t photograph people who are sitting or waiting as I think the dynamic is weird (they can’t move away if they want to without it being weird).

3. Once they say yes, take your time. Respect the time they’ve given you by getting a decent photo from that opportunity. Think about where to place them, the light, the composition, background elements. Ask them some simple questions while you’re doing this like asking them what they’re doing today / why they’re in the area etc.

4. Ask them not to smile. People do the ‘i am having my photograph taken’ fake smile by default and you need them not to do it.

5. Take one or two photos, thank them and let them go.

6. Ask someone else within a minute to keep your motivation up.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Some advice for with-permission street portraits that’s worked for me.

1. Have a tight, practiced intro that describes who you are and what you want to do. Something like “Hi I’m Bob and I’m a local photographer documenting the area. I’m taking street portraits today and I was wondering if I could take your photo”.

2. When you arrive at your location have a goal to ask 5 people in 5 minutes. Expect and set aside rejection. People will say no. Be polite and move on immediately to asking the next person. More people will say yes that you expect. Pick people who are walking slowly and alone. Don’t pick people from groups or who are obviously in a hurry as they’re more likely to say no and you’ll feel rushed. I personally don’t photograph people who are sitting or waiting as I think the dynamic is weird (they can’t move away if they want to without it being weird).

3. Once they say yes, take your time. Respect the time they’ve given you by getting a decent photo from that opportunity. Think about where to place them, the light, the composition, background elements. Ask them some simple questions while you’re doing this like asking them what they’re doing today / why they’re in the area etc.

4. Ask them not to smile. People do the ‘i am having my photograph taken’ fake smile by default and you need them not to do it.

5. Take one or two photos, thank them and let them go.

6. Ask someone else within a minute to keep your motivation up.

poo poo.. great advice. I am thinking about getting a bunch of business cards made and will prolly hand them out too so people can see the handiwork

wow. let’s see if I can build up the courage. i’m better than most at talking to strangers but this is next level

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

make a little 8 page zine to show

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Zine

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 31, 2022

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

government by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
A few friends on mine years ago set up a little table with a bowl of sweets and a sign "sweets for your picture" in the middle of London. It worked well.

Pete Doherty even stopped for a sweet.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
I went into the city the other day to take a bunch of shots, but I feel like I didn't go in with a specific enough plan of what I wanted to shoot. The result was that seeing as I live in the sticks, I got stimulus saturation real quick and just started snapping shots of everything: architecture, landscape, abstract, and a few shots of people too.

What do you guys do regarding planning/checklists before a shoot? Do you find it helpful to have a short checklist of shots you want, or do you just set out with "shots of interesting people" in mind?

Anyway, pics:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
If I'm shooting with intent, then I'll usually scout out the stuff I want to shoot before, get some idea of how it lies within its surrounds, what the angles are, where the light is.Take some bad shots as references to see how they look with a quick edit.

Even for more candid and spontaneous stuff, that works well because you can get yourself into a good frame and then wait for something to happen inside that.

Also, don't take photos of homeless people. It's exploitative and lovely.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Helen Highwater posted:

:hai:

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

If I'm shooting with intent, then I'll usually scout out the stuff I want to shoot before, get some idea of how it lies within its surrounds, what the angles are, where the light is.Take some bad shots as references to see how they look with a quick edit.

Even for more candid and spontaneous stuff, that works well because you can get yourself into a good frame and then wait for something to happen inside that.

Thanks, that's useful stuff about pre-selecting framing and sites.

I wouldn't normally take photos of homeless people, for the record, and probably won't again. In fact, I think I'll remove that photo - thanks for the reality-check. I did give that guy some cash afterwards and thanked him for being such a good sport, and one of the photographic regrets I'll carry to my grave is that I didn't think to have the camera ready to catch his reaction. The smile he gave me was the most wonderful, most unscripted, most genuinely human expression I've ever seen, and I would have loved to have captured that as a way of showing his humanity to a wider audience. That one smile made me seriously consider a project of getting to know some of these rough sleepers and street-living people and trying to capture and share their humanity and stories, but I live a long way from the city, and I suspect that's a project of ambition well beyond my current abilities to pull off tastefully and non-exploitatively...

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 21, 2022

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 25, 2022

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i was scrolling down and i think i vastly prefer it in square or vertical 4x5 with the top cropped out.

good light in any case.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Hmm, I wanted to emphasize the verticality, but perhaps there is too much. Here's in 4x5:

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I wouldn't be determined to have so much of the building in frame. The lower curve of the pavement is much more effective than the top of the central windows.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yep agree with ric - 4x5 crop from the bottom to wherever it ends up. All the interest lies in the bottom half of the photo.

I like the distortion effect.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Ya the curve of the side walk mirrors the curve of the low eve there's nice symmetry there

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Thanks for all your input, I always prefer to frame for the format of whatever I'm shooting which leads to a lot of puzzled faces when I tell people I shoot 6x6. Here's the final (?) crop:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i like that.

a small other nitpick that is up to personal taste is that i feel the highlights are a little too bright.
do you have enough information in the scan to bring them down a touch?

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Cacator posted:

Thanks for all your input, I always prefer to frame for the format of whatever I'm shooting which leads to a lot of puzzled faces when I tell people I shoot 6x6. Here's the final (?) crop:

Wow, that's rad. I'm thinking a 1:1 ratio might look great too.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

bobmarleysghost posted:

i like that.

a small other nitpick that is up to personal taste is that i feel the highlights are a little too bright.
do you have enough information in the scan to bring them down a touch?

Yes, but I kind of like the overexposure there.

Viginti Septem posted:

Wow, that's rad. I'm thinking a 1:1 ratio might look great too.

I tried this, but felt like the loss of resolution was too noticeable. I only have an old V550 scanner to use and it ain't great for 35mm.

Dope!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

This looked far more in focus in the camera, so I was gutted when it came out blurrier than expected. That's why I threw B&W onto it and fannied about with contrast etc until I got bored. Turns out faffing with a tripod and an old manual reflex lens is hard work if you have no idea what you're doing

between summer and autumn by Guy Kelly, on Flickr

A low-res version of the original is here, if anyone was curious exactly how much I'd hosed about with it. More than happy to listen to any advice that could have saved it/been done better!

https://twitter.com/Brainmage/status/1576537383302225920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
1/60 on a non vr lens and body? Unless your subject is motionless that's always gonna come out blurry.

You should aim for 1/250th or faster if you can. With some VR you can go lower depending on how good it is. Or if your subject is stationary.