Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

John F Bennett posted:

Playing Middle Earth : Shadow of War, discovered it on game pass and didn't know much about it. I'm still at the beginning but so far it does Assassin's Creed better than actual Assassin's Creed.

It’s really fun with the whole nemesis system. And once you can start recruiting your own orc buddies as backup it is like just ignore the story and attack fortresses all day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man I loved shadow of Mordor. It made me wish for a Batman or Spiderman style game where you get one enemy you just beat the gently caress out of and he comes back with power armor, and if you beat that he's got magic, and if you beat that he's got some sort of gene edited super power or alien tech or something.

Plus the ability to freak everyone else out by just stabbing a rando 30x in the face was priceless.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

priznat posted:

It’s really fun with the whole nemesis system. And once you can start recruiting your own orc buddies as backup it is like just ignore the story and attack fortresses all day!
Between the story and epilogue cutscene there is a playable timeskip with fortress segments repeating over and over so you could also rush to that point

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I’ve been eyeing both Batman and Shadow of Mordor to play next off game pass. Is Mordor the obvious choice?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

I’ve been eyeing both Batman and Shadow of Mordor to play next off game pass. Is Mordor the obvious choice?

They're both great games and Mordor takes the Batman combat mechanics to do its own thing. Batman is all bespoke content and story, and tries to pace between combat, stealth, puzzle and car sections. Mordor is just out and out hunting procgen orc leaders and then doing things like having 4 of your warlords gang up on the bodyguard of the fort leader and then take his place and then stab the fort leader in the back when you attack.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Shadow of War is probably my favorite game of last decade.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Both Shadows would've worked just as well without the quite superfluous LotR licence slapped on, but maybe that was good for sales (or WB had to use the IP for something).

Nice gamey games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given WB will soon never have access to that for games again, enjoy the LotR games now

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Peggle and Peggle 2 are backwards compatible and on Game Pass. Where is that Peggle King emote? Good lord Extreme Fever still hits the spot every time.

https://youtu.be/qfTJP4hWyMw

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

:ironicat:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Captain Beans posted:

The Arkham games are absolute all time greats.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Knight was ok. Asylum and City were good.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I had the first Arkham game that came with 3D glasses to play with.

Straight up Red/Blue filters. Played that poo poo on a HD tube tv that weighed about 400 pounds.

King poo poo.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Unfortunately Arkham Asylum and City on the Xbox One/Series (and PS4) are kinda bad, the remaster (known as Return to Arkham) was problematic. The best platform to play them if you can is PC.

But they're still good games and the remaster is better than nothing.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Captain Beans posted:

If it's Arkham Knight, I'd say go for Mordor. Mordor has a similar combat style but does it's own thing with it and once you find the rhythm of it, feels amazing. Especially once you've got a bunch of the powers unlocked.

Also there is nothing quite as motivational as an Ork poo poo talking you after you've died. Hunting those mouthy little bastards down and either murdering them or mind warping them to be my goons is A+ gameplay.

Story was fine too I guess I wasn't paying much attention to it honestly lol. Except for the Ork lieutenant who betrays you after being your giant homie for a little while that was a fun side plot

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you have a freesync monitor or VRR tv then Return to Arkham on series x should be really good

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you have a freesync monitor or VRR tv then Return to Arkham on series x should be really good

Yes, it would probably help with Arkham Asylum which is weirdly 45 fps. But Arkham City is straight-up 30 fps. And there's no FPS boost.

But the primary issue with the remaster isn't even the low or weird framerate but the harsh/bad lighting and altered character models. Things often look worse than in the originals on PC.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah I agree. The new faces are poo poo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I watched that Tim Rogers review of Death Stranding last night and am hyped to finally try it!

Led me down a rabbit hole of his videos, 3.5 hour one on Doom, and the cyberpunk one, lol.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rim Togers

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Unfortunately he died and doesn't make videos anymore

He tends to cause flamewars but I'd watch his series on the FF7 translation, even people who hate him generally say that one is really good

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Made me laugh pretty frequently and I enjoyed the editing and the Kojima anecdotes. And apparently I always have been pronouncing Kojima wrong :sigh:

Did he actually die or just professionally

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

priznat posted:

Made me laugh pretty frequently and I enjoyed the editing and the Kojima anecdotes. And apparently I always have been pronouncing Kojima wrong :sigh:

Did he actually die or just professionally

he is in his "getting tons of patreon money to not make videos" phase though idk theyre usually entertaining enough that if he needs to take months to make one i dont care that much

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'd watch Tim Rogers videos if they were like 20 minutes. Instead they are four hours.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

he is in his "getting tons of patreon money to not make videos" phase though idk theyre usually entertaining enough that if he needs to take months to make one i dont care that much

Well when they’re several hours long I kind of understand the gaps :haw:

I don’t know how I’ve never heard of the guy before! Guess I never really read kotaku because i thought it was just for anime game nerds.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ColdPie posted:

I'd watch Tim Rogers videos if they were like 20 minutes. Instead they are four hours.

They should be longer.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think he ran himself into the ground with the Cyberpunk review. That said he is approaching Joseph Anderson levels of “making Patreon money to do nothing”.

He does stream weekly Friday nights on Twitch FWIW.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There are some highly creative people who really NEED deadline pressure, editorial input, and someone to just say, "listen, it's my decision when this thing is done, and I say it's done; print it and move on to the next thing."

There's nothing wrong or "lesser" about being that kind of creative force, you just have to know you're that person and pay someone to be your boss.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I got the impression from the wrap up of the 2077 review that he was going to take a break then work on the next season of reviews.

Considering his reviews are basically limited series in length I'm fine waiting for whatever he drops next.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

How close do y'all think we are to seeing the merger completed? I want to plan diablo II with my kids and don't want to have to buy multiple copies.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Not that close. 6+ months away.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2022/07/microsoft-activision-blizzard-ftc

Might be sooner than you think. It's just waiting for all the governing bodies to sign off.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
It was always in the hands of the regulators and will be done in the next couple months.. Executive leadership and boards for both companies overwhelming approved very quickly and they are just waiting (read paying an army of lawyers to push) for due diligence. It will happen, they are just waiting for the signatures. If governments honestly thought entertainment monopolies were a problem they never would have let Disney buy Fox. Now if Microsoft finishes this and decides to put in an offer for Ubisoft or EA or whatever, that will take a while.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I wouldn't wait for it tbh. Even if the deal goes through tomorrow that doesn't really mean anything wrt the Game Pass catalog. Pretty sure they took their sweet time announcing all the Doom games coming to Game Pass long after the id deal finalized.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Death Stranding is up on Gamepass if anyone else was hanging out for it

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
IIRC most of the Bethesda catalog went up on Game Pass day one of the acquisition closing. There were a couple games missing like Fallout 3 and Doom 2016, people suspected it was because they were under contract to be on PSNow at the time. They eventually went up during E3 a few months later.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

American McGay posted:

I wouldn't wait for it tbh. Even if the deal goes through tomorrow that doesn't really mean anything wrt the Game Pass catalog. Pretty sure they took their sweet time announcing all the Doom games coming to Game Pass long after the id deal finalized.

It definitely won't be like they flipped a switch. For a number of reasons, Microsoft allows almost no new contact between the company and an acquisition target until it is 100% done. That said, most of Zenimax's catalog that were on Xbox and had generic PC implementations were on Game Pass very fast so you will see some stuff go up by end of year.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

American McGay posted:

Nope there was a big initiative to get like 20 games on Game Pass on the day the deal was announced closed. Some other titles dropped later at QuakeCon and this year's QuakeCon.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Can't wait for Diablo 4 on game pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can probably still negotiate for stuff with the to be acquired company as though they were distinct. Hey we'll pay you y on x date where X is after the expected close date for the sale so you'll ultimately just move money around. Then after the close you put all the other things they wouldn't negotiate to let you put on in case the deal fell through.