Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

Everybody loves to talk about this, but nobody has the energy to talk about the agreements that power companies have with large consumers to take things offline in order to keep the grid from collapsing. Load-shedding happens a lot more frequently, but isn't as sexy.
I mean I specifically mentioned it in the previous post :/

Potrzebie posted:

There should be room for electrolysis plants that turn on when needed to produce hydrogen then.
That's assuming you can find people who want to run their plant just some of the time.

lilljonas posted:

The obvious solution is to nationalize power production so that the profits from exporting our electricity (https://www.expressen.se/ekonomi/sverige-nu-europas-storsta-exportor-av-el/) goes back to the public. Then use that profit for aggressively expanding non-fossile power production in all of the country, not just the north.
exactly

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

V. Illych L. posted:

if you're PM you're only allowed to have fun in boring ways don'tchaknow

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

New polka jukebox interface looking good

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

lilljonas posted:

The obvious solution is to nationalize power production so that the profits from exporting our electricity (https://www.expressen.se/ekonomi/sverige-nu-europas-storsta-exportor-av-el/) goes back to the public. Then use that profit for aggressively expanding non-fossile power production in all of the country, not just the north.

Ok yes this.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thotsky posted:

The Finnish PM thing reminds me of when Moxnes got flack for being too attractive.

:qq:Poor Moxnes. Meanwhile Inger Lise Hansen from KrF posed in a dress and people lost their goddamned minds.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Foxy Moxy

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
People speak about S not nationalizing anything as if it were a choice, or was ever gonna be on the table with 5 right wing parties taking up 50-60% of the seats in parliament every election.

Libs out
C out

Problem solved.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 20, 2022

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/peppe_larsson/status/1561085487229681664?s=21&t=qXzbjssoWu2uRlNIOSEnnQ

I find it rather interesting that the polls are so even given that we have had the same ruling coalition for the last 8 years and where we now have record electricity prices, record gas prices, record number of shootings and an unprecedented immigration level. Oh and joining NATO which is a non issue now apparently from a political perspective.
In a normal country, the ruling coalition would be destroyed in the polls leading up to the election.

On the other hand, it has been the most turbulent political climate since 1980 or so, where the opposition managed to pass 3 out of 8 budgets. Something not supposed to happen in the Swedish political system, where the budget system favours the ruling coalition.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The opposition has some extremely unpopular opinions though that are completely at odds with what a large majority of the voter base actually wants; see e.g. profits in private schools and other welfare drains. Svenonius et al have put a huge dent in M's credibility when it comes to healthcare, which is still one of the most important issues for voters.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, in many ways it's a testament to how bad and unpopular the right-wing bloc is. They should be poised to sweep the elections but they clearly have trouble convincing the populace that they're a better alternative than the milquetoast S government. The old right-wing Alliance also suffers from voters (and representatives) disagreeing on whether or not SD are a totally normal party and viable partner (M, KD, parts of L) or politically untouchable (C, parts of L).

https://twitter.com/FrancesTuu/status/1560958903667548165

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

They're so ridiculous.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cardiac posted:

https://twitter.com/peppe_larsson/status/1561085487229681664?s=21&t=qXzbjssoWu2uRlNIOSEnnQ

I find it rather interesting that the polls are so even given that we have had the same ruling coalition for the last 8 years and where we now have record electricity prices, record gas prices, record number of shootings and an unprecedented immigration level. Oh and joining NATO which is a non issue now apparently from a political perspective.
In a normal country, the ruling coalition would be destroyed in the polls leading up to the election.

On the other hand, it has been the most turbulent political climate since 1980 or so, where the opposition managed to pass 3 out of 8 budgets. Something not supposed to happen in the Swedish political system, where the budget system favours the ruling coalition.

Well it might just say something about how bad the opposition parties are and how unpopular their policies are...

Not to mention that a lot of the issues you mention are kind of out of the hands of a single nation's government. Or a lie. We do not have unprecedented immigration (that was in 2016, six years ago). Electricity prices are mainly based on the war in Ukraine and how that affects the EU energy market, not on local production. Gas prices is also not a specifically Swedish issue. Deadly violence is lower than it was in the 90's (notice how they always have to specify that it is shooings that are increasing, as overall violence both deadly and non-deadly is lower).

Yadda yadda, the right keeps trotting out these simple talking points but they don't really stick as much as they hope because they are built on lies or half-truths at best. Meanwhile you can easily find obvious lies from the right wing politicians, such as Ulf Kristersson's extremely public number where he promised holocaust survivors to never ever, pinky swear, deal with SD. Such things sticks. I was talking to a usually kind of died-in-the-wool borgare colleague who simply refuses to vote for M this year simply for a basic disgust of Ulf Kristersson.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 21, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hi everyone.

Recent moved in citizen to Sweden, currently living in Umeå proper in Västerbotten. What party would be best for me to vote for in order to ensure maximum empowering of leftist policies and annihilating the Swedish Democrats?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The only real leftist option on a national level is Vänsterpartiet (v). There may be other regional or local options, but generally your best bet is to vote (v) and deal with the inevitable frustration of seeing them shut out of a social democrat government in favour of free-market liberals like Centerpartiet.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

To expand on how bad Kd-M-L are as opposition parties:

Reinfeldt wrestled power from S by providing an alternative paradigm of borgarpolitik. He saw that the old M method of just crowing about lower taxes, more profit for the wealthy and harsher punishments didn't work, so he promised a kind of kinder, gentler right wing politics. Sure, the unemployed and sick would still get hosed hard, but most voters are not unemployed and sick. He also tilted hard to catering to the middle class rather than how M typically wore their 1%er loyalty on their sleeves. It was wildly successful.

After that era died, Ulf Kristersson took over the reins, looked at the situation and... went back to crowing about lower taxes, more profit for the wealthy and harsher punishments. This did not work. He got beat in the election, and the Alliance fell apart around him, largely to his own tactical mistakes after the election. He basically failed as a party leader, as an oppositional leader and as a coalition leader. So, four years later, back at what should be his last chance to lead M in an election, and his masterful strategy is to...

...crow about lower taxes, more profit for the wealthy, harsher punishment.... and add more racism? Sure, adding Sd to your coalition at the expense of C gives you a party that is very popular among their own voters in your corner. But on the other hand it also add what is probably the most hated party in Sweden among non-Sd voters. It's not the kind of unqualified win-win that Ulf tries to make it. And that is even before trying to manage a potential government where you have to balance a liberal and a nationalist party simultaneously after an election where none of the four parties ran on a common agenda other than "let's be a meaner society". They don't even agree in how to be mean, and to who.

It's interesting how right wing media has criticized other party leaders for various failures, yet Ulf has been relatively untouched even though he has been underperforming a lot the last eight years given the various crises that the S government has to dealt with, whether said crises were self-inflicted or not. Ulf should not survive another failed election, but somehow there has not been forming a new group of power-hungry M politicians in the curtains, ready to make a push. Or rather, at least they've been staying far more out of the limelight than before AKB got booted.

E: as pointed out, anything but a landslide victory when running against a 8 year sitting government that had to weather at least two black swan events (covid and Ukraine) that both have caused havoc on society and/or the economy is a baffling failure for the opposition leaders. That Ulf does not have a solid 5+ percentage lead tells of how bad he is at this.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 21, 2022

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Its worth mentioning that a lot of swedes ultimately approve of how S handled both C19 and Ukraine. Two ...adequately handled black swans might be also considered a winning hand.

I would have voted for Reinfeldts M again but not this version, probably. Magdalena has a lot of weird appeal for now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

lilljonas posted:

E: as pointed out, anything but a landslide victory when running against a 8 year sitting government that had to weather at least two black swan events (covid and Ukraine)
I'm not sure either of the two deserve being called black swan events. Pandemics happen with some regularity, and we had several would-be contenders leading up to covid. I mean, Bush jr. expected it... Likewise, the geopolitical conflict with Russia escalating was basically a given, seeing how everyone was behaving, it was just a question of which form. And then Russia occupied parts of Ukraine, which kind of limited to possibilities quite a lot.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm not sure either of the two deserve being called black swan events. Pandemics happen with some regularity, and we had several would-be contenders leading up to covid. I mean, Bush jr. expected it... Likewise, the geopolitical conflict with Russia escalating was basically a given, seeing how everyone was behaving, it was just a question of which form. And then Russia occupied parts of Ukraine, which kind of limited to possibilities quite a lot.

Covid was the worst medical emergency in a hundred year and the war in Ukraine is the biggest military conflict in Europe in 70 years. Hardly things you regularly preemptively put funding in your budget to deal with.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

lilljonas posted:

Well it might just say something about how bad the opposition parties are and how unpopular their policies are...

Do they even differ a lot anymore? S and M seem to be closer aligned than ever before politically. Didn't M actually end up to the left on some issues of S? Pretty sure I read that here in fact.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

lilljonas posted:

Covid was the worst medical emergency in a hundred year and the war in Ukraine is the biggest military conflict in Europe in 70 years. Hardly things you regularly preemptively put funding in your budget to deal with.
Given that the main issue of the conflict within the EU is our lack of energy independence, that is exactly the sort of thing you should preemptively fund. It is incidentally the exact opposite of the thing people have been yelling at the Germans for doing for year: Budgeting for increased energy dependence.

Similar for pandemic responses, which are also preemptively funded. The people responding to a pandemic don't just spring up out of the blue, they were already in place and monitoring the situation. Obviously you scale things up when poo poo goes down, but the funding and awareness of the risk is already there - thus making it not a black swan event.

Calling either of those events black swans is to let the people in charge off the hook. Just because they failed to see the risk, or willingly chose not to, does not make it unforeseeable.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

lilljonas posted:

Not to mention that a lot of the issues you mention are kind of out of the hands of a single nation's government. Or a lie. We do not have unprecedented immigration (that was in 2016, six years ago). Electricity prices are mainly based on the war in Ukraine and how that affects the EU energy market, not on local production. Gas prices is also not a specifically Swedish issue. Deadly violence is lower than it was in the 90's (notice how they always have to specify that it is shooings that are increasing, as overall violence both deadly and non-deadly is lower).

The article linked mentions immigration as a potential reason for the increased shootings

"– Det kan bero på politiska beslut som har tagits för flera år sedan, globala förändringar, flyktingströmmar och en politisk oförmåga att hantera situationen när det väl har exploderat, säger han."

And it isn't exactly far fetched that the wave of refugees we had 6 years ago created the conditions that led to increased gang violence. If society fails to integrate them and they're left feeling like outsiders, without access to decent jobs or living conditions, they'll be more vulnerable to be recruited by gang leaders who want more disposable bodies. But having said that, there's no way in hell an M-led coalition would have handled that situation any better

I'll be interested to see how well M does in Stockholm this year, considering how they massively bungled the healthcare situation there. The hospital boondoggle which they used to funneled tax payer money to corrupt politicians should have led to heads rolling. But i'm not exactly hopeful.

One thing I'm worried abouts is that Centern is going to abandon its "principled" stand against working with SD. Latest polls have them bleeding voters to S, and if they get a whallopping in this election I'm afraid they'll go crawling back to the alliance bloc.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Given that the main issue of the conflict within the EU is our lack of energy independence, that is exactly the sort of thing you should preemptively fund. It is incidentally the exact opposite of the thing people have been yelling at the Germans for doing for year: Budgeting for increased energy dependence.

Similar for pandemic responses, which are also preemptively funded. The people responding to a pandemic don't just spring up out of the blue, they were already in place and monitoring the situation. Obviously you scale things up when poo poo goes down, but the funding and awareness of the risk is already there - thus making it not a black swan event.

Calling either of those events black swans is to let the people in charge off the hook. Just because they failed to see the risk, or willingly chose not to, does not make it unforeseeable.

You're being incredibly silly and arguing semantics. Covid was a once in a century pandemic and while you can argue we should have been able to deal with it better, saying it was predictable is wrong and frankly plain stupid.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i used to organise volunteers for some activities around one of the ad-hoc asylum centres back in 2015-16. the way the norwegian state met these people seemed almost designed to be alienating and destructive of any civic trust once/if they got settled here. i honestly would not be surprised if some of those people got spooked and ended up relying more on informal networks than on the official welfare state, which is the beginning of organised crime.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

McCloud posted:

The article linked mentions immigration as a potential reason for the increased shootings

"– Det kan bero på politiska beslut som har tagits för flera år sedan, globala förändringar, flyktingströmmar och en politisk oförmåga att hantera situationen när det väl har exploderat, säger han."

And it isn't exactly far fetched that the wave of refugees we had 6 years ago created the conditions that led to increased gang violence. If society fails to integrate them and they're left feeling like outsiders, without access to decent jobs or living conditions, they'll be more vulnerable to be recruited by gang leaders who want more disposable bodies. But having said that, there's no way in hell an M-led coalition would have handled that situation any better

I'll be interested to see how well M does in Stockholm this year, considering how they massively bungled the healthcare situation there. The hospital boondoggle which they used to funneled tax payer money to corrupt politicians should have led to heads rolling. But i'm not exactly hopeful.

One thing I'm worried abouts is that Centern is going to abandon its "principled" stand against working with SD. Latest polls have them bleeding voters to S, and if they get a whallopping in this election I'm afraid they'll go crawling back to the alliance bloc.

You're being incredibly silly and arguing semantics. Covid was a once in a century pandemic and while you can argue we should have been able to deal with it better, saying it was predictable is wrong and frankly plain stupid.

Scientist were warning people about something like it having become very likely for years before, and if you think it was once in a century you are in for a rude awakening when the next one hits.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Lol we’re already on the verge of 1-2 new pandemics.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

thotsky posted:

Scientist were warning people about something like it having become very likely for years before, and if you think it was once in a century you are in for a rude awakening when the next one hits.

The last pandemic that was as "bad" as the covid one was with the spanish flu, so i don't think I'm out of line calling it a once in a century pandemic.

Scientists have been warning people about pandemics for decades, not years, but recognizing and picking out which of the myriad viruses and bacteria mutate, cause severe enough symptoms to be taken seriously and spread easily enough to become an issue isn't exactly easy. It's a tremendously complicated affair, and that's not even considering what happens when, say, there's international panic and everyone tries to snatch up PPE like masks, gloves and alcohol. I'm not saying this is an excuse for the shoddy handling of the pandemic, because it was poo poo, and in a sense we're lucky it was a disease with a mortality rate in the single digits, and i'm praying that they've learned important lessons from the failures to contain covid (but also beginning to think that capitalism will never be able to contain a dangerous disease because it means making choices that impact the economy and lol at that happening) but saying "Covid was predictable" is vastly simplyfing the situation to the point of being dishonest

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there have been a bunch of pandemic scares over the past couple of decades, like the mutated flu viruses which pop up every now and again. planning for this stuff is effectively impossible; you need A Plan, but that plan cannot contain all the parameters for which you need to account. if you try to seriously stick to the pre-pandemic Plan you get tegnell.

the specific point where i really do think we could and should've done much better was locking up bill gates and making the vaccine project a genuine international project instead of this hosed-up public-private partnership monstrosity we ended up deploying. insisting on intellectual property law has killed millions of people over this pandemic, and now that this has been established as how we deal with pandemics it's probably going to be repeated the next time we get a big public health scare. and so on, and so on, until the system stops beign able to sustain itself

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

We have not learned anything from covid my dude, looking at the current monkey pox outbreaks in NYC and SF

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
covid was “handled”, and those quotation marks are generous.

fnox
May 19, 2013

There's a particular chain of events that led to COVID becoming a global pandemic whereas something like SARS managed to be contained. It's beyond the scope of this thread but it is fairly untrue to say that we knew what to do to prevent it. You can tell by the myriad of different approaches world governments took to address it. I for one am of the firm opinion that had all of the world done what Sweden did, we would have likely fared far worse, and Sweden was instead largely protected by the far more serious approach of its neighbours.

I mean, even now there isn't consensus as to how exactly prevent spread. I still see people with face shields and no masks.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

luminalflux posted:

We have not learned anything from covid my dude

I dunno, I think I've learned plenty, it's just that none of it says anything good about people in general or our chances as a species. :haw:

fnox
May 19, 2013

So in terms of voting, our choices are seriously "maintain a clearly ineffective S dominant government" or "ineffective M government propped up by SD with all of the baggage that implies"? There's no way to get V to at least rock the boat a little?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

luminalflux posted:

We have not learned anything from covid my dude, looking at the current monkey pox outbreaks in NYC and SF

I'm seriously hoping that that's due to issues specific to the US, and that the rest of the world will deal with the issue in a more competent manner. Yes, this is entirely unfounded optimism, I know.

fnox posted:

So in terms of voting, our choices are seriously "maintain a clearly ineffective S dominant government" or "ineffective M government propped up by SD with all of the baggage that implies"? There's no way to get V to at least rock the boat a little?

S is stuck in the unenviable position of trying to please both V and C, the latter which has made their cooperation dependent on V getting shut out of government, i believe.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/sundesten/status/1561387616553025541?s=21&t=ptBiuNGLTmYhZHgk1HyCXw

The responses are also gold

https://twitter.com/cajsa123/status/1561437752868077568?s=21&t=ptBiuNGLTmYhZHgk1HyCXw

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
A place as utterly bizarre as Ursvik being plopped down right next to Rinkeby will forever be loving lol.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
All I'm hearing is that there's finally a working GC-bana between Rinkeby-Kista and Sundbyberg.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Threadkiller Dog posted:

A place as utterly bizarre as Ursvik being plopped down right next to Rinkeby will forever be loving lol.

ACTUALLY both the military research facility (originally a chemical weapons lab, later a nuclear weapons lab among many other exciting things) and the huge ordnance depot were there long before the suburb, so it's more like Rinkeby being plopped down next to it that is lol. Especially the part that in the mid-1960's when they started planning the suburb, the nuclear weapons program was still active and extremely secret so nobody knew what the neighbors were up to. May or may not have been a more interesting neighbor than the Ågesta nuclear power plant in Farsta, I guess? I'm pretty sure they got some nontrivial amounts of plutonium out of that reactor.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 22, 2022

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Haha that part is certainly true. Although I was thinking more specifically of Stora Ursvik which definitely looks like some deranged god plopped it down as is, quite recently.

The pedestrian bridge to Rinkeby is apparently hate object number one among the Property Value Understanders of Ursvik the last few years.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 22, 2022

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TheFluff posted:

The opposition has some extremely unpopular opinions though that are completely at odds with what a large majority of the voter base actually wants; see e.g. profits in private schools and other welfare drains. Svenonius et al have put a huge dent in M's credibility when it comes to healthcare, which is still one of the most important issues for voters.

Well, part of it is fair enough. And while I understand Stockholm have an issue with Svenonius (I have seen the polls), that is hardly a national issue, but a regional one.
As for schools, while the current financing scheme is bonkers, private schools are not going away as long as immigration/integration remains unsolved.

lilljonas posted:

Eh, take a look at SCBs statistics and you will see that 2016 was just the tip and immigration was still high during the following years with a rate that is twice that of the early 2000. The current level is roughly where it was during the Yugoslavian war in the 90s. Or the simple information that Sweden have gone from 10 - 20 % foreign born population in 20 years, which is roughly an addition of a million people.

And based on BRÅ, addition of a young foreign born male population means crime goes up.
As for deadly violence, you can hide a lot with averages, which is obvious for anyone that knows statistics. Deadly violence of certain kinds have decreased due to better medication and better social norms. But shootings are up and affecting others, just as seen last week. And it is clearly related to immigration given who shoots. (But fed by the drug liberalisation of the middle class due to marijuana and other drugs)

Eh, gas prices are like 60% tax and the favourite thing to raise taxes on. Diesel taxes are getting progressively higher for each year (thanks MP) which is part of what drives inflation since tractors and trucks still needs diesel for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
It’s extremely fitting for the scandipol thread, that the elected idiot king is the “definitely not racist, just extremely focused on all the totally factual, very serious; problems related to immigration and immigrant-caused crime.”.