Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

what air defense doing?

They defend the air, not the ground :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Herstory Begins Now posted:

dugin's daughter exploded and twitter people think ukraine has atacms or prsms or something. imo it's an optical illusion and russia should keep stockpiling ammo near the front lines

(those are unrelated, in case it isn't clear)

Revealing that you've got super accurate, super long range missiles by using them to assassinate an enemy leader's kid would be a pretty funny move NGL.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Using a drone to blow up a drone jammer is just flexing at that point.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bird food bathtub posted:

Using a drone to blow up a drone jammer is just flexing at that point.

The drone equivalent of this classic pic

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Russian ERA is so advanced it works even when you replace the explosives with rubber blocks

The rubber blocks is called NERA or non-explosive reactive armor. It’s the same principle of interrupting the penetrating material as it moves forward just enough to deflect most of the force off center.

The armor in western tanks is also sheets of rubber, with other stuff sandwiched in between.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
broke: Rubber

woke: Glue

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

And the non-explosive variety was created because they realized that ERA is lethal to dismounted troops, but really if your tank gets hit with an efp or something similar even with non explosive armor the effects on anything unarmored near it are going to be pretty brutal too. Maybe they won't be dead, but odds are they will be soon after.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TK-42-1 posted:

poor T-72. thought of ukraine and died

Excellent potential thread title.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Nuclear Tourist posted:

It was a joke because the turret was almost launched into low earth orbit, so you'd need an escape pod because it's basically a spaceship.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

What I've learned from this war is that the Russian autoloader concept is fundamentally flawed. The advantages of autoloaders don't outweigh the disadvantages while in a war against a near-peer, and using them in such a war results in lots of turret-throwing. It seems that Russia would do better with T-54/55s.

edit: T-72s are a cheap alternative to space-launch vehicles

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 21, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jimmy Smuts posted:

What I've learned from this war is that the Russian autoloader concept is fundamentally flawed. The advantages of autoloaders don't outweigh the disadvantages while in a war against a near-peer, and using them in such a war results in lots of turret-throwing. It seems that Russia would do better with T-54/55s.

edit: T-72s are a cheap alternative to space-launch vehicles

It's not the concept of the autoloader itself that is the problem. It's the unprotected ammunition storage that turns the inside of the tank into a rapid crematorium. It's entirely possible to make an autoloader that stores its ammunition in a protected space, it's just more expensive and mechanically complex to do so, but it's been a solved problem for decades.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Stupid westerners, superior Soviet tank crushes enemy under turret in glorious death

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Turret-tossing is just the Russian army equivalent of caber tossing, it just involves less alcohol somehow.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Icon Of Sin posted:

It just involves less alcohol somehow.

Citation extremely needed and still doubted.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well that's a powerful way to send a message about not topping up the tank after borrowing the car.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/21/daughter-of-putin-ally-alexander-dugin-killed-in-car-bomb-in-moscow-reports

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/mrsorokaa/status/1560904746881486849

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

psydude posted:

Well that's a powerful way to send a message about not topping up the tank after borrowing the car.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/21/daughter-of-putin-ally-alexander-dugin-killed-in-car-bomb-in-moscow-reports

the car topped up like a tank

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Do we think this is a creative pretext for Russia to perform a general mobilization? While she and her father certainly were turds, neither one of them was significant enough to warrant the risk and effort of an assassination, and I don't see what Ukraine would have to gain from it.

Which would point to either a false flag, or maybe any of the myriad other disaffected groups in Russia. Also possible he was an informant for Ukraine or western intelligence and was intentionally targeted.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 21, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

psydude posted:

Do we think this is a creative pretext for Russia to perform a general mobilization? While she and her father certainly were turds, neither one of them was significant enough to warrant the risk and effort of an assassination, and I don't see what Ukraine would have to gain from it.

Which would point to either a false flag, or maybe any of the myriad other disaffected groups in Russia. Also possible he was an informant for Ukraine or western intelligence and was intentionally targeted.

Again, they can talk about a general mobilization all they want, but they do not have any sort of training or logistics to support it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Again, they can talk about a general mobilization all they want, but they do not have any sort of training or logistics to support it.

That doesn't mean they aren't gonna try. They also thought Kyiv would roll out the red carpet for them 6 months ago.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

That doesn't mean they aren't gonna try. They also thought Kyiv would roll out the red carpet for them 6 months ago.

I suspect even if they try, it'll just further strain the training pipeline they do have left and crush their logistics.

So maybe they should try to end this all the faster.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 21, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect even if they try, it'll just further straight the training pipeline they do have left and crush their logistics.

So maybe they should try to end this all the faster.

How many training staff do they have left i wonder, didn't they send a lot into actual combat instead?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Just Another Lurker posted:

How many training staff do they have left i wonder, didn't they send a lot into actual combat instead?

Considering they are so desperate we have documented cases of unrelated officers being shoved into tanks and being told to make do.

There was that APC in Mariupol that ended up being found to have been commanded by an officer from a meteorology corps.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Icon Of Sin posted:

Turret-tossing is just the Russian army equivalent of caber tossing, it just involves less alcohol somehow.

More like anvil firing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHuQy0mqW5I

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

psydude posted:

Discussion Quorum posted:

Hard to know how reliable any of this is if you don't read Russian and/or Ukrainian and have far more Russian cultural literacy than I do - but if even half of this is true it's weird as hell.

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1561334515490082817?t=L8TOLUJ5NPXzRgnCplL9Yw&s=19

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 21, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

What is this?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

What is this?

it's pedo mecca, you prey there 3 times a day

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

What is this?

Epstein's island.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Damnit, I've been trying really hard not to pay attention to that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I wonder how much of the Russian training/root logistics/military production is in hiking distance of a guy with some explosives. Those are ripe targets for general havoc even if it is not in an amount that can do any real harm. Imagine a few 80mm mortar rounds landing at your boot camp?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

thread title good

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c

psydude posted:

I dont think they need a dead daughter to further mobilize their own troops.

Pretty sure they're already scraping the barrel after seeing their 3rd Army Corps that they recently stood up was not of quality soldier material

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

psydude posted:

I suspect this is somebody in Russia wanted dad gone because he ripped them off in a business deal several years ago and his daughter picked the wrong day to borrow dad's car.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Midjack posted:

I suspect this is somebody in Russia wanted dad gone because he ripped them off in a business deal several years ago and his daughter picked the wrong day to borrow dad's car.

Registered to her. He may have even done it himself to seem like a near martyr, boosting his approval with parents who also had children killed.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 21, 2022

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Wow wouldn't it be great if these idiots started blowing themselves up? I really hope Dugin has a couple more false flags in him, to really build up the momentum. Only upside to car bombing visible elites in your own country, yessiree.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Are we...and this is probably sounding super conspiracy minded, but...are we even sure that she was ever in the car?
No I haven't been looking at pictures or videos of people meeting a gruesome death and I'd prefer to keep it that way. A simple yes or no will suffice.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
By far the simplest explanation is he pissed someone off and they offed his daughter to send a message. Hell it might even just be that she pissed someone off at they decided to car bomb her, having nothing to do with her father.

Even among people with truly weirdo extremist beliefs you'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to sacrifice their own kid of their own accord.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
This happened because of the Finnish prime minister going out and dancing

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Hunter Biden did this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Apparently the guy who was targeted by the carbomb was the architect for all the global poo poo thats beeng going on the past 20 years. He wrote back in the mid 90s that Russia should engineer the UK leaving the ECM and promote instability between political parties in the US before trying to reclaim Ukraine.