Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not a good judge of dude hotness but it seems like in NFY his character was more about being an off putting weirdo with all of the faces and fashion choices to facilitate that. While he was still obviously being weird in The Rehearsal his demeanor seemed more toned down and normal. Like, he's not wearing square, dorky business clothes and always standing with his mouth agape in the Rehearsal like he is in NFY lol. So maybe that has something to do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's weird because I never found him that hot in NFY. But rehearsal nathan was a yowza awoo arooga from start to finish

It's that salt and pepper hair.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'm a straight guy who is a pretty bad judge of how attractive other men are, but I can see it. He has a very solid Hollywood look compared to how he presented himself in Nathan for You

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Nathan has always been hot, but the salt and pepper hair, 5 o’clock shadow, and more casual clothes are really working for him.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

You all are fixated on his rear end crack oddly and not that he was wearing a thong with little hearts on it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Fielder Method

Edit: it was on sale at Buckles

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Alan Smithee posted:

wait was the mother at the beginning when Nathan says the self hating stuff the same as the mother of the kid who asked the Jewish teacher about killing Jesus
I double checked, and it sure looks like it is.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

In The Rehearsal, Nathan is a bad boy who is going to go to hell, he's a stalker, and he's a daddy that children love. These all make him way hotter than the charmless pair of chinos he presents himself as in NFY

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

biceps crimes posted:

In The Rehearsal, Nathan is a bad boy who is going to go to hell, he's a stalker, and he's a daddy that children love. These all make him way hotter than the charmless pair of chinos he presents himself as in NFY

Don't forget that he also ate feces

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

biceps crimes posted:

nathan was always a bad boy, you have to be one to manage a hot topic

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

CodfishCartographer posted:

he was just riffing with the kid, ok

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Snooze Cruise posted:

nathan was always a bad boy, you have to be one to manage a hot topic

Hot Topics are pretty satanic, ngl

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CodfishCartographer posted:

yeah that too

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

He was traced by a (4-star) private investigator who couldn't catch him!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He's a pretty good scene partner.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

He's a pretty good scene partner.

good child actors scare me

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That line cracked me the gently caress up lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I remembered the pizza delivery ep of Nathan for you and started randomly laughing this afternoon

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

that last scene was scripted, right?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Wow that was hosed up.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Baron von Eevl posted:

No.

I'm your dad.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Everything is scripted and nothing is scripted.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I finally caught up after not watching since ep 3 and good lord, what a show. Nathan is a psycho lolll

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nathan is Ezra Miller

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I loved the apology to Angela because the second you start thinking she might just be a pretty chill person after all it's immediately revealed that it's just another insane religious math problem.

nonnonchalant
Jul 18, 2022
my heart breaks for that child. omg. I think he'll be okay but that was sad to witness.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

no, please don't summon that guy into the thread again

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I loved the apology to Angela because the second you start thinking she might just be a pretty chill person after all it's immediately revealed that it's just another insane religious math problem.

That one is actually properly quoted out of the Bible though. All the poo poo about hell and antisemitism and satanic influences is purestrain Alex Jones lunacy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The scene where the mum is talking about how she knows her kid will be okay hit me the hardest, I think, just because it made me realise how loving terrible I'd be as a parent -- something confirmed reading people's posts here and elsewhere, and seeing how much they related to the material in front of them. I just couldn't do that, it was completely foreign to me. I know my tone, the things I'd consider important in the moment as I was saying the words I'd be saying, they'd be completely different. It'd come from a completely different place. I'd never, ever look at my child and think they they'd be fine because they look like me, and the level of patience and care that she and Nathan showed the kid... I just couldn't do that, instinctively, you know?

Nathan and the mum both let the kid come to his own conclusions and set boundaries firmly but carefully, and try to use worked examples to try and generate empathy. But even the language -- insisting that Nathan is Remy's "friend". I'd never even think to use that word. I wouldn't think to protect the kid like that. My first instinct would be to hard boundaries, pull the bandaid off, let the kid learn a cruel lesson of life -- protect the child in that way, you know? And not lie about them being "friends".

I know the cameras are pointed at them and so they're obviously going to be trying to be on their best behaviour, but the way they talked and interacted was just like nothing I'd ever experienced growing up. I probably didn't have the best parental models, and I guess I wasn't lucky enough to be exposed to other parents and see how they raised their children.

The Doctor Farts thing too. The way Nathan defends it to Angela by saying that he let the kid lead, and that they had fun, and Angela just comes down on it all like a tonne of bricks, using satanic panic to make these high minded, public reason excuses as to why it's "wrong" to play act in ways she finds personally distasteful -- reminded me of how my parents would complain I was "torturing" them if I tried to watch an episode of Doctor Who with them, or whatever. Pretty clear, of the two of them, who'd make a better parent.

Just sort of unlocked a lot of feelings in me, I guess.

Alan Smithee posted:

want 2 get balls deep in dummy angela

she dummy thicc

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

no, please don't summon that guy into the thread again

sorry. Just to be clear i am not passing judgement or grading the show on whether that or other aspects were “real” or “fake.” But with swaths of the show being, you know, a rehearsal (often of a rehearsal, of a rehearsal) I wondered if that was maybe rehearsed at some point.

hell of a show either way, genuinely surprising and affecting and hilarious and I am still thinking about all of it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm sure Nathan planned out his speech (and rehearsed it :)) but if the kid's reaction was scripted then he's a really good actor.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
NFY is one of my all time favorite things, but I've been putting off watching this because I'm reluctant to pay for HBO for a single show. I saw the first episode was available for free though, and it gave me some full-on belly laughs the way only Nathan can elicit them from me. The implanting of trivia answers felt the most reminiscent of NFY-esque schemes.

Does anyone else think the guy taking up the table at the real bar was another actor hired by Nathan?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Somebody posted something earlier saying that none of the trivia night regulars were there and the employees were different than usual. If that's true, it's hard to say if that was so they could put in plants for jokes and control things better or if it was just a typical TV thing where they didn't want to have a ton of blurred out people so they put out an ad. Same thing that they do for restaurant rescue shows.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

They really push the pathos of it, but I’m sure what happened with Remy is vary common for child actors his age. He was basically pretending someone else was his parent for a few hours a day for a while, which is what most acting jobs boil down to for a six-year-old. Until all the meta stuff (which is when Nathan was actually trying to fix the issue) it was probably a pretty unremarkable experience for Remy, as far as these things go.

Anyway, incredible finale, incredible series, Nathan ascendant.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

NFY is one of my all time favorite things, but I've been putting off watching this because I'm reluctant to pay for HBO for a single show. I saw the first episode was available for free though, and it gave me some full-on belly laughs the way only Nathan can elicit them from me. The implanting of trivia answers felt the most reminiscent of NFY-esque schemes.

Does anyone else think the guy taking up the table at the real bar was another actor hired by Nathan?

Hard to say. If he was just rolling with the punches you’d think having to make these expensive rehearsal decisions to prepare based on that would be impossible to plan for last minute

The inheritance guy just ghosting them seems like a weird thing to fake since you’d want some kind of resolution if even unsatisfactory

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Somebody posted something earlier saying that none of the trivia night regulars were there and the employees were different than usual. If that's true, it's hard to say if that was so they could put in plants for jokes and control things better or if it was just a typical TV thing where they didn't want to have a ton of blurred out people so they put out an ad. Same thing that they do for restaurant rescue shows.

I don't know, that bar seemed kind of noisy. They would have had to pay thousands of dollars to get those people to talk!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
wanna meet that dad.

this show is a nightmare lmao.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

oh no

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lol