Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

Holy poo poo I got a round 5 quart staub on clearance for $200 ten years ago

I still won’t buy the Costco one because my kitchen is coordinated to not have prismatic colors

Yeah, I've got a 5.5qt Made In that I'm very happy with, and I certainly don't need an even larger one. It's still tempting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I have this utensil rack in the door of my dishwasher see

It’s only held in by gravity

Unfortunately when I have the door open and laying flat the utensil rack flops around. Is there a way to fasten this? Only thing that came to mind is zip ties

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I have this utensil rack in the door of my dishwasher see

It’s only held in by gravity

Unfortunately when I have the door open and laying flat the utensil rack flops around. Is there a way to fasten this? Only thing that came to mind is zip ties

If you can find a way to space that rack out just a tiny amount from the face of the door, it should then provide enough resistance from it's mounting mechanism to hold itself in place.

Maybe you could put some zip ties on there with the 'heads' facing the back so that they are proud of the rear of the tray?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

We have the same utensil rack and we hate it. Not because it flops - our door naturally sits tilted just up from horizontal - but because you can't load dishes at the same time as utensils.

If mine fell out like that yeah I'd try some tension based thing like Velocibacon says, zip ties sound ideal!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I have that rack too, but it usually sits in the main rack. If I need extra room then I set it up right on the door to load and then slot it in when full.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Can you move it to other places? Seems the point of being able to remove it would be 1. To load and unload outside the washer, or 2. To be able to move it around to different places inside the washer.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

You don't have it mounted. If you look at the back of the rack, there is a slot for the round protrusion that is on the inside of the door. Cant tell from the pic but its very likely to be one on the other side of the door and another slot on that side of the rack. Slide it in place and you should be good.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

parthenocarpy posted:

You don't have it mounted. If you look at the back of the rack, there is a slot for the round protrusion that is on the inside of the door. Cant tell from the pic but its very likely to be one on the other side of the door and another slot on that side of the rack. Slide it in place and you should be good.

I assumed he mounted that correctly but the tolerances are such that it's not enough friction to hold it in place when the door is down.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I assumed he mounted that correctly but the tolerances are such that it's not enough friction to hold it in place when the door is down.

There is no way that gravity is at fault from dislodging if the unit is mounted correctly and full of silverware. I can't even imagine the PSI necessary to move it. Certainly nowhere approaching household dishwasher power

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m assuming the issue is it slides off when he opens the door and lays it flat

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Steve Yun posted:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Take out the utensil holder when you're opening the door?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That’s just more work! The whole point of a dishwasher is less work!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Calphalon Unison 12" nonstick pan's surface is starting to chip after about 12 years of light use so it's time for a replacement. It was the first nice pan I bought but at many times, I've felt 12" was too large for a nonstick, in part because it's quite heavy (the weight isn't a problem, just annoying) and it's too big for eggs/omelet, but it's nice for large veggies like asparagus.

My other cookware consists of a 12" frying pan, 4 quart sauce pan, 8 quart stock pot, all tri-ply, and a 10" Lodge skillet. I mainly use the nonstick to cook chicken, fish, eggs, and veggies. I don't need a new pan right away, so if there's a nicer pan that would be worth it, I can wait for Black Friday deals.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Once my current 2 nonstick pans die, I plan on getting a second carbon steel and sticking with those. Once they're well seasoned, they're about 98% as good as nonstick and there's no concern about scratching them. It's mostly a matter of temp control and using enough oil/butter/whatever.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8VUYT4/

these aren’t fancy but the aluminum is thick enough for them to heat evenly and the bottom to stay flat. the nonstick coating holds up well in my experience. usually runs $40 ish for the rivetless 10”, $32 is a good price

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

hypnophant posted:

these aren’t fancy but the aluminum is thick enough for them to heat evenly and the bottom to stay flat. the nonstick coating holds up well in my experience. usually runs $40 ish for the rivetless 10”, $32 is a good price

I have this same pan (and had a similar pan from them before for about 4 years) and would also recommend. The lack of internal rivets is a very nice bonus.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

hypnophant posted:

I've had two of these (wore the old one out because my wife didn't get how to keep it fresh) and love them, but not that version. I have this one

https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-80114-535DS-Professional-Restaurant/dp/B009HBKQ16/ref=psdc_1063498_t2_B01N8VUYT4

The only difference I can spot is that the one posted by hypnophant is rivetless, however according to wirecutter the bottom of it is domed a bit and pushes stuff to the sides

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-nonstick-pan/

Wirecutter posted:

The Tramontina Professional Fusion Nonstick Fry Pan features a rivetless design, for easier cleaning. We wanted to love this pan, but it has a slightly domed cooking surface that sends oil and eggs racing to the edge.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I have that pan and not having internally exposed rivets is a revelation.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I've had two of these (wore the old one out because my wife didn't get how to keep it fresh) and love them, but not that version. I have this one

https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-80114-535DS-Professional-Restaurant/dp/B009HBKQ16/ref=psdc_1063498_t2_B01N8VUYT4

The only difference I can spot is that the one posted by hypnophant is rivetless, however according to wirecutter the bottom of it is domed a bit and pushes stuff to the sides

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-nonstick-pan/

i don’t have that problem on mine - it’s as flat as the riveted version i had before it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm thinking of switching to reusable silicone bags for sous vide to cut down on plastic waste. Anyone have experience with Stasher bags or other brands?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm thinking of switching to reusable silicone bags for sous vide to cut down on plastic waste. Anyone have experience with Stasher bags or other brands?

the anova rolltop bag is easier to work with than the stasher bags, though the silicone feels thinner so it probably won't last as long

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Does anyone have a toaster oven with convection that they like? I have an ancient toaster oven with a couple dials that sees a lot of use, and the convection option would add a lot without taking up more counter space.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Does anyone have a toaster oven with convection that they like? I have an ancient toaster oven with a couple dials that sees a lot of use, and the convection option would add a lot without taking up more counter space.

Breville Smartovens are popular around here. Love mine, I hardly use my big oven anymore (Breville is used daily, big oven maybe once a month)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Tried making gnocchi from scratch for the first time, using the gnocchi board I picked up in Italy. It actually came out pretty good I think, definitely a solid first attempt.

Need to get a potato ricer and cut them a bit smaller next time. The sauce is homemade pesto, chicken stock, and oat milk, and I tossed in some pancetta towards the end.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Breville Smartovens are popular around here. Love mine, I hardly use my big oven anymore (Breville is used daily, big oven maybe once a month)

Seconding Breville Smart Oven, and 100% same on using it daily versus big oven rarely. Preheats quickly, cooks well, has convection, can fit a surprisingly large vessel in it (9x13 pan depending on side overhang/handles - Williams Sonoma goldtouch 9x13 fits).

We use ours literally three times a day or more, my one and only complaint is that with such heavy use the hinges on the door have started to squeak/grind a bit. Doesn't impact its function at all, just doesn't open/close as smoothly as when new, but again is likely due to very heavy use so YMMV.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It also heats up the house much less than the standard oven

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Does anyone make a decently large portable butane burner? Mainly for countertop use. The burner is kinda small on everything I've encountered thus far and I'd like to be able to heat my larger pans more evenly than they can

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is induction a possibility or are you wedded to butane?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is induction a possibility or are you wedded to butane?

I am specifically looking for a gas/butane option

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
The breville smart ovens are great. Last winter my full-size oven went on the fritz and I frankly forgot to get the replacement part I needed for like a month because I could do everything in the toaster including roasting a spatchcocked chicken on a quarter-sheet pan.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Thermoworks is doing a big open box sale, FYI. I just picked up a Smoke for $63 but they seem to have most of their big-name products available.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

I am specifically looking for a gas/butane option

What for, and what is “decently large” to you? My local asian grocery sells tabletop butane burners for hotpot, and I’ve looked at some single-burner camping cooktops, but they seem to be pretty much the same size, same product in different packaging. It might help if you said what you had now and what you want to do with the burner - cooking hotpot is going to be a bit different than griddling a pile of eggs and bacon at a camping trip, for instance.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hypnophant posted:

What for, and what is “decently large” to you? My local asian grocery sells tabletop butane burners for hotpot, and I’ve looked at some single-burner camping cooktops, but they seem to be pretty much the same size, same product in different packaging. It might help if you said what you had now and what you want to do with the burner - cooking hotpot is going to be a bit different than griddling a pile of eggs and bacon at a camping trip, for instance.
Looking for one that's roughly the same size as a standard "large" burner on a home range. I just want to be able to heat my large comal more evenly than the small butane burner does

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Discussion Quorum posted:

Thermoworks is doing a big open box sale, FYI. I just picked up a Smoke for $63 but they seem to have most of their big-name products available.

Get on their mailing list. Every single day they offer a good deal on something. 20% off sitewide, Pops for half off, One Pen for $70, etc. If you don't see what you want on sale, just wait a few days.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
That's how I knew about the open box sale :v:

Honestly half of my stuff from them is open box and it has all been as good as new.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
dishwasher problem mostly solved. there was a cronenbergian horror in the (not disassemblable) weird top sprayer thing that if I'm understanding correctly is primarily designed to piss into the soap receptacle. I had to bring the the sink sprayer over to blast it out, so the pressure washer advice was in a sense not wrong. gracias.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Empty Sandwich posted:

dishwasher problem mostly solved. there was a cronenbergian horror in the (not disassemblable) weird top sprayer thing that if I'm understanding correctly is primarily designed to piss into the soap receptacle. I had to bring the the sink sprayer over to blast it out, so the pressure washer advice was in a sense not wrong. gracias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5G-2qTupCk

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What in the world

Vitamix makes a $400 composter? Why?

https://www.amazon.com/Vitamix-068051-FoodCycler-FC-50-Capacity/dp/B08BQYXVNT/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Previously, on Something Offal:

Slept for about three hours, insomnia decided that was enough, so I decided I was gonna do some things I said I was gonna do.

Spaghettieis, made from ice cream, frozen rock solid.

The challenge was actually finding ice cream that would freeze hard enough. If it wasn't, it would liquify and you'd end up with ice cream soup in the bottom of the bowl instead of a nice pile of strands. Maybe the key is to let the initial liquid drip off into the sink before squeezing only the spaghetti into the bowl. Let's be 100% clear here: These "noodles" have no structure, you cannot pick them up with chopsticks. This was probably someone's solution to making a brick of freezerburned ice cream dug out from the back rapidly edible, instead of waiting for it to come up to scoopable temperature.

With some lingonberry jam standing in as the "bolognese", usually it's strawberry. No white chocolate on hand to imitate parm, either. But it passed with flying colors. I don't know why I was worried about its durability. I'd have given it a second try, but just over yonder on the stove, I have something else ready and waiting.

I REALLY don't know why I bothered worrying. This thing took on both the fridge-cold butter and the potato like it was nothing. I think I might have have leftover trauma from plastic kitchen accessories, and I might to send the german state department a formal apology or something.

In short: Get hosed, OXO, and all you other brands. My potato ricers are german from here on out. I think I'll name it Hans. Or Bertha.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 21, 2022